staging, and subbasemblies

i think it would be very helpful if when i attach a subbassembly to a ship, the entirety of that subbassemblies stages would just stack together as one stage on the top of the stage list.

i feel that theirs no reason why the game should try and put my subbassemblies staging features at the same level as my launch stages.

would be really helpful for small mass produced probes/sattelites that are meant to go up in groups.

heck, sometimes its so bad that it completely redoes all of my stagin when i attach the assembly, just abit ago when i attached my probe assembly the game put my probe engines in my transfer stage, my transfer stage engine as my launch engine, and moved my launch engine to the top. and all fifteen decouplers to the same stage in the middle.

Edited by putnamto

Well, subassemblies are not necessarily payloads. They can be SRBs with decoupler, nosecone, etc and you definitely wouldn't want that to be on top of your staging list.

Checking and sorting your staging before launch is something you (should) do systematically before pressing the launch button anyway. And a little mess due to using subassemblies is a good incentive for you to double check your staging.

OK, I  didn't  cover  every  use case, and  I  may  be  building  my  subbasemblies  wrong.

I  just  wish  it  would  leave  the  sub  assembly together  in  its  own  stage, be  it  at  the  top  or  bottom  of  the  list. Instead  of  completely  rearranging  my  stages

On 2/14/2019 at 6:51 PM, The Aziz said:

Yep, the staging prediction is weird (I'm told it exists) but there is not much we can do about it, it can't please everyone and everything.

Subassemblies save their staging and add everything to the exact same stage you saved the subassembly with when you use it. If, for example, you have a booster with three stages you saved as 0/1/2 and you use that subassembly, KSP adds its components to 0/1/2 instead of the last three stages you currently have or creating new stages for them. There is no prediction there, everything is reloaded as-is.

5 hours ago, Fraktal said:

Subassemblies save their staging and add everything to the exact same stage you saved the subassembly with when you use it. If, for example, you have a booster with three stages you saved as 0/1/2 and you use that subassembly, KSP adds its components to 0/1/2 instead of the last three stages you currently have or creating new stages for them. There is no prediction there, everything is reloaded as-is.

And so, if you have built your payload, and are bringing in a launcher that you know consists of three stages, you can add three separators to the bottom of your payload, and attach the launcher sub-assembly.  The stages should fall right into the correct places.   You can then remove the launcher, scrap the separators, and re-add the launcher, and it should be good to go.

A fix would be the ability to manually control staging priorities in the same way you can control fuel flow priorities - a setting or a slider that lets you assign values from -X to +X.

With that in place you could come up with your own systems whereby Boosters use -20 to -10, Core stages use -9 to 0, etc. This way if you remove the boosters and attach to another rocket the game will still add them at the bottom of your staging list.

20 minutes ago, Tyko said:

A fix would be the ability to manually control staging priorities in the same way you can control fuel flow priorities - a setting or a slider that lets you assign values from -X to +X.

With that in place you could come up with your own systems whereby Boosters use -20 to -10, Core stages use -9 to 0, etc. This way if you remove the boosters and attach to another rocket the game will still add them at the bottom of your staging list.

Or or or.... when you place a sub-assembly, regardless of what it is, you get a couple little + - buttons that you hit to slide the recently attached stages up or down.   That way you can place the staging exactly where you want at build time, and don't have to deal with remembering priority. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.