NASA Human Landing System

tater

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is actually reasonable in terms of ranking, though I think while the goals of a base and sustainability are there within Artemis, it's a lot less important than the flags and footprints that will likely drive this.

Having finished the video, I'd agree that seems like a fair assessment.

I do think it would be mad not to try and keep Starship in the mix just because it has *so* much capability. But it's probably going to the moon at some point whether or not NASA funds it.

Edited by RCgothic

• 5 weeks later...

Ninja'd by seconds.

If they choose only SpaceX I expect it will be primarily because SpaceX bid such a low price and the funding for the project has not been forthcoming.

I wonder whether the announcement late on Friday is to let the rage to die down over the weekend.

It'd be a hugely unpopular decision, but NASA really given no choice if serious about getting to the moon on current funding. The angry congresspeople will only have themselves to blame.

Welp. If anyone starts badmouthing this decision, both NASA and SpaceX can rightfully point at the Congress's fist tightly gripping the strings of the purse.

No monies, no multiple Moon manned modules.

Cheap bastiches.

2 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

We've got new legs!

And they look remarkably similar in shape to the ones shown in the most recent #dearMoon renders.

But...but there's no way SpaceX would put a seam in their heat shield! Would they? Could they? And even if they did, surely the heat shield wouldn't contact the ground directly!

I'm convinced that they are just spitballing at this point. Those new legs don't have any actual actuation path.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.