NASA Human Landing System

tater

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Someone finally drank a glass of class (or Tory Bruno was ghost writing for him). Now if only Musk would do the same…

Nah, I'm sure his PR team had to hold him down

Bezos....ANGRY!!! 

Bezos...SUEEEEEEE!!!!

No Jeff! Get back here!!

Edited by Lewie

5 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Dammit, just found out about this song. Should have tried to use it at the beginning. Ah well.

Whatever happens, everyone who was born to know 80's music will love to hear that nobody likes this.

Edit: I thought I was harsh, no that is harsh on the eardrums of anyone who was there at the time. Feel glad you like it haha, its not necessarily bad, but a group of us had only that to listen to for a decade. Yo where is buddy who's tag is "punk rock enthusiast"?? I'm sure he can help hahahaha.

I whipped up a quick tune to show my thoughts...just guitar...but you can't swear on this board... so the song "Something Jeff Bezos" will probably never hit number 1.

Edit again...holy crap, its "whats the matter with kids today?" by NOFX...oh well Lets see if I can write another song thats already been written haha.

Edited by Meecrob

7 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

I'm not sure what you mean?

I'll admit I don't follow Bezos on twitter, but I do remember the snarky "Welcome to the club" when the first F9 booster landed. And the "Sue Origin" lawsuits were getting excessive. Sure, SpaceX has launched its share of lawuits, but nothing as egregious as holding up Artemis. And Bezos' recent public appearances haven't done him any favors.

As for Musk, he shoots from the lip far too often with frat-house humor. 'Nuff said.

Tory Bruno of ULA has always been a class act, always dignified, positive and encouraging. Deep respect for him even though I didn't care much for ULA before.

So that latest tweet from Bezos struck me as a refreshing change.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:32 PM, Meecrob said:

Edit: I thought I was harsh, no that is harsh on the eardrums of anyone who was there at the time. Feel glad you like it haha, its not necessarily bad, but a group of us had only that to listen to for a decade. Yo where is buddy who's tag is "punk rock enthusiast"?? I'm sure he can help hahahaha.

Here I am!

I find this very enjoyable, the dancing Bezos cyborg really is the icing on the cake 

(Green day, Blink 182, Fall out Boy and My Chemical Romance {and many, many not named} is my kind of Jam) 

I’m very happy that Spacex can finally resume work on LSS, these delays got way out if hand

and is it just me, or did the last 7 months fly by??

Edited by Lewie

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, now that the other parts of the ArtemisNASA  OIG report have been discussed it's time for LSS

This is the pre-litigation schedule:
unknown.png
However, OIG found the schedule not realistic and puts Artemis III in 2026 instead. Quoting:
"Further, while recent space flight programs have on average taken about 2 years between test and
operational flights, SpaceX plans to launch its crewed HLS 1.2 years after its uncrewed demonstration
mission. To their credit, the company’s rapid “design-build-fly” testing approach and in-house
production facilities are unique capabilities that may allow for faster development and production
timelines than previous NASA space flight programs.32 During our August 2021 visit to both its California
and Texas facilities, we observed SpaceX’s rapid production ability with 20 Starship prototypes and
100 Raptor engines built to date. This fast pace is possible due in part to the fact that SpaceX
manufactures many engine parts and components in-house, which also reduces costs. The launch tower
at the company’s Starbase in Texas was nearing completion with fueling facilities expected to be
completed by October 2021. For its next major tests, SpaceX intends to launch the Super Heavy rocket
booster and HLS into the Earth’s orbit by the end of 2021 with a demonstration of its in-orbit fueling
operations planned for late 2022. Nonetheless, delays in its current timetable are likely given the
technologies that must be developed and the tight schedule. "

Onto HLS itself, this is the mission profile:
unknown.png
There is then the agency's report on its technology readiness level, putting the highest risk on cryo fuel transfer and the best technological readiness on propulsion (Raptor), comms and, surprisingly enough, life support
unknown.png
Meaning, in particular:

"Once the proof-of-concept technology is ready, the technology advances to TRL 4. During TRL 4, multiple component pieces are tested with one another. TRL 5 is a continuation of TRL 4, however, a technology that is at 5 is identified as a breadboard technology and must undergo more rigorous testing than technology that is only at TRL 4. Simulations should be run in environments that are as close to realistic as possible. Once the testing of TRL 5 is complete, a technology may advance to TRL 6. A TRL 6 technology has a fully functional prototype or representational model.

TRL 7 technology requires that the working model or prototype be demonstrated in a space environment."

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/trl.png

12 hours ago, Beccab said:

Alright, now that the other parts of the ArtemisNASA  OIG report have been discussed it's time for LSS

This is the pre-litigation schedule:
unknown.png

Just for clarity, this is the pre-litigation-delay schedule. "Orbital Flight Test" therefore most likely refers to flight test of the HLS LSS. Assuming everything has been delayed around 6-9 months, and perhaps allowing for SpaceX's schedule being a little bit generous anyway, we can probably expect an Orbital Flight Test of the HLS LSS around Q4 of FY22, maybe into Q2 FY23.

The 4/20 first orbital flight test of *Starship* is separate, and will likely be early 2022. The propellant Transfer Test may not be significantly delayed as that would likely occur between regular Starships/Starship Tankers.

Edited by RCgothic

5 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Just for clarity, this is the pre-litigation-delay schedule. "Orbital Flight Test" therefore most likely refers to flight test of the HLS LSS.

If this is true, and assuming they use the opportunity to test a crew volume with life support, etc... That would mean there is a station in LEO with ~ISS volume upon successfully making orbit.

5 hours ago, tater said:

If this is true, and assuming they use the opportunity to test a crew volume with life support, etc... That would mean there is a station in LEO with ~ISS volume upon successfully making orbit.

That sounds pretty obvious, instant space hotel, you might want extra docking ports.  
Long recommended an backup moonship as the lunar gateway station, its doubles as an fuel depot and an option to use in an emergency if moonship can not reach orbit, say engine damage on landing or an fuel leak. 

20 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

That sounds pretty obvious, instant space hotel, you might want extra docking ports.  
Long recommended an backup moonship as the lunar gateway station, its doubles as an fuel depot and an option to use in an emergency if moonship can not reach orbit, say engine damage on landing or an fuel leak. 

I was thinking as a backup for ISS. Launch it to meet a HLS milestone, then lease space to NASA as a new station.

• 2 months later...

Btw given that HLS is now over it would be better to rename this thread to be either about Lunar Starship, LETS or both.

Lunar Starship completed five milestones and received payment in accordance, with the orbital test flight being the next on the list.

3 hours ago, Beccab said:

Btw given that HLS is now over it would be better to rename this thread to be either about Lunar Starship, LETS or both.

+1

Anyway, who knows, what will its title be twenty years later, on the NASA press conferention about the landing system somebody has finally built.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.