KSP Loading...KSP Enhanced Edition is getting some love

SQUAD

Would you guys rather have 2 choices of colors on the Twitch, or the choice of the current shape and a bare variant?

As I understand the variant system, you have either variants to change the mesh, or variants to change the texture, but not both on the same part.

To me, after seeing the bare variants on the Ant and Spider, I have to say I'd prefer to have a bare Twitch variant than the choice to have it in 2 colors.

Edited by klesh

Some posts have been removed from this thread. Personal attacks are not welcome on this forum whether they are directed at fellow forum members or Squad staff. You're all welcome to your opinions, but please express them without attacking individuals or using insulting terms. 

7 hours ago, SQUAD said:

New Launch Sites

With the History and Parts Pack you will also have the ability to launch your crafts from 4 additional complexes: the Woomerang Launchsite, the Dessert Complex, the Island Runway and a brand new Mun Launchsite, not currently available on PC!

Understanding full well that this is for the so called Enhanced Edition, I don't think I would want a Mun launchsite added to the PC version.

5 minutes ago, klesh said:

Understanding full well that this is for the so called Enhanced Edition, I don't think I would want a Mun launchsite added to the PC version.

It'd probably be part of either an updated Making History, or a new DLC entirely, so it would be optional.

1 minute ago, MaverickSawyer said:

It'd probably be part of either an updated Making History, or a new DLC entirely, so it would be optional.

My concern is that it would be included with the on-Kerbin sites found in the "Use Extra Launchsites" setting, in an all-or-none kind of way.   Kerbin launch sites make sense (to me).  Mun launch sites do not.

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

As has been the case with our previous releases, this free update will be packed with content!

How about packed with a working input stack and some jank-free wheels?
As for content, if you mean fixing career mode and the contract system so as to actually be interesting, I'm listening intently.
If you mean more part rework... that's assets not content, and I'm not interested at all. Where's joystick support already?

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Our QA and development teams have been very busy confirming, reporting and fixing issues.

Cool, so seeing as the regression involving lack of working joystick support on GNU/Linux has already been confirmed and reported, it will be going straight to "fixing", right?
I mean it's only been eleven months since you broke it, that's got to be some kind of speed record.

Edited by steve_v

5 hours ago, klesh said:

Would you guys rather have 2 choices of colors on the Twitch, or the choice of the current shape and a bare variant?

As I understand the variant system, you have either variants to change the mesh, or variants to change the texture, but not both on the same part.

To me, after seeing the bare variants on the Ant and Spider, I have to say I'd prefer to have a bare Twitch variant than the choice to have it in 2 colors.

Honestly I don’t think it needs variants at all, unless maybe you have one with an aerodynamic shroud

Console players are getting the Making History parts? Nice!

Those micro-engines look seriously sharp. Nice work! 

The only thing I’m confused by is the Mun launch site. Seems cheaty...what’s getting your 1500 ton rocket to the Mun? :huh:

EDIT: @UomoCapra is this new console DLC the ‘Serenity’ that’s been on the bugtracker for the last couple of weeks?

Edited by RealKerbal3x

4 hours ago, klesh said:

It would be neat to have for some things (Self-sustaining Mun base, anyone?), but I agree that we need to have the ability to activate/deactivate this option independently of other launch sites.

Also, while I do like new Ant and Spider revamps, especially their bare variants, I have some criticisms as well. I don't quite understand why there has to be this square metal box in the covered variant of Ant engine. The engine itself isn't square in form, and is rather small. The "box" covers a lot of empty space as a result, which I don't like. It doesn't even look that great, esp. when compared to the bare version. Was it put there for consistency with the old part? I like consistency, but if it creates this kind of discrepancies, then maybe it's not the best idea to keep the old look.

11 hours ago, klesh said:

I'd rather they update the variant system to handle all options.

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

On the contrary, I think there has been almost unanimous praise for the new Spider and Ant revamps in this thread.

Indeed.  I think this thread is a prime example that, especially with this community, most of us are not complaining just to complain.  We want KSP to be the best it can be.  That is all.

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Also, while I do like new Ant and Spider revamps, especially their bare variants, I have some criticisms as well. I don't quite understand why there has to be this square metal box in the covered variant of Ant engine. The engine itself isn't square in form, and is rather small. The "box" covers a lot of empty space as a result, which I don't like. It doesn't even look that great, esp. when compared to the bare version. Was it put there for consistency with the old part? I like consistency, but if it creates this kind of discrepancies, then maybe it's not the best idea to keep the old look.

My initial guess was that it was meant (the original design) to go with the cube satellite core, but then I realized that there is no cuboidal fuel tank. So it will always look out of place, I think. 

Echoing the popular opinion, the ant and spider revamps look great, but very out of place compared to other recent revamps. 

@UomoCapra A bit off topic, but this has always bugged me with the game, and I hope it's something that could be tweaked in the future. I guess it goes hand in hand with increasing the texture resolution to increase fidelity - where this as a less resource intensive method would work just as well. 

It's the view distance from the camera before mipmaps are faded in and out. It's very very 'tight'. I've always been quite dismayed (as a content creator) that i'd go to all these lengths to create a nice texture, yet the game would essentially render it at half res while the camera is only a few meters away. You only see the full detail if you zoom in to the point your nose is touching the screen. 

I've edited a command pod (that has a high res texture, 2048px by 2048px) so each mipmap has a distinct colour. 1024px is purple (first mipmap, half res), 512px is green (second mipmap, quarter res), 256px is brown (third mipmap, eighth res), 128px is blue (fourth mipmap, sixteenth res). 

You can see that the actual texture resolution only kicks in when you're unnaturally close the part, meaning that 99% of the time your ship is on the screen, you're seeing it at half or or a quarter of its intended graphical fidelity.  

So increasing the resolution of these revamped parts does kinda help the issue - but 'widening' the mipmap window to fade lower res textures in at sensible distances would too :)