KSP Loading...KSP Enhanced Edition is getting some love

SQUAD

2 hours ago, Daishi said:

*snip*

That is worth posting as feedback on the bugtracker. It will allow us to upvote it which is supposed to bring the issue more attention, in theory.

Great work providing that example.

3 hours ago, Daishi said:

So increasing the resolution of these revamped parts does kinda help the issue - but 'widening' the mipmap window to fade lower res textures in at sensible distances would too :)

Woah.  If you make a bug report, I will definitely up vote it.

4 hours ago, Daishi said:

@UomoCapra A bit off topic, but this has always bugged me with the game, and I hope it's something that could be tweaked in the future. I guess it goes hand in hand with increasing the texture resolution to increase fidelity - where this as a less resource intensive method would work just as well. 

It's the view distance from the camera before mipmaps are faded in and out. It's very very 'tight'. I've always been quite dismayed (as a content creator) that i'd go to all these lengths to create a nice texture, yet the game would essentially render it at half res while the camera is only a few meters away. You only see the full detail if you zoom in to the point your nose is touching the screen. 

I've edited a command pod (that has a high res texture, 2048px by 2048px) so each mipmap has a distinct colour. 1024px is purple (first mipmap, half res), 512px is green (second mipmap, quarter res), 256px is brown (third mipmap, eighth res), 128px is blue (fourth mipmap, sixteenth res). 

You can see that the actual texture resolution only kicks in when you're unnaturally close the part, meaning that 99% of the time your ship is on the screen, you're seeing it at half or or a quarter of its intended graphical fidelity.  

So increasing the resolution of these revamped parts does kinda help the issue - but 'widening' the mipmap window to fade lower res textures in at sensible distances would too :)

Please take note of this @SQUAD. It is extremely important and basically undercuts all your work if you don’t fix it. 

What on Earth... I saw the new revamped little engines on reddit and thought it was Restock, not the actual official stock revamp... is this a new artist? They look completely different and superior to every single revamp you've presented so far...

Edited by Gydra54

8 hours ago, klesh said:

That is worth posting as feedback on the bugtracker. It will allow us to upvote it which is supposed to bring the issue more attention, in theory.

Great work providing that example.

6 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Woah.  If you make a bug report, I will definitely up vote it.

6 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Please take note of this @SQUAD. It is extremely important and basically undercuts all your work if you don’t fix it. 

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/21278 Upvote away! Fixing this will make the game (and these new revamped parts) look twice as good :D 

Où est la traduction française? Il est vraiment dommage de ne pas pouvoir profiter de cet excellent jeu à cause de la barrière de la langue.

(Where is the French translation? It is a shame not to be able to enjoy this excellent game because of the language barrier.)

Edited by Noobton
Added translation

2 hours ago, MARLOULI said:

Où est la traduction française? Il est vraiment dommage de ne pas pouvoir profiter de cet excellent jeu à cause de la barrière de la langue.

Welcome to the forum Marlouli. Please remember that the you can find the french subforum here https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/100-french-français/ . We ask to keep the conversation in English in all the other sections.

Fly safe :)

3 hours ago, MARLOULI said:

(Where is the French translation? It is a shame not to be able to enjoy this excellent game because of the language barrier.)

A quick follow-up. If you meant the game itself, and not the forum, it is available in French. I don't know which site you may have purchased your game, but if you have a problem finding the translated version(s), please feel free to ask, and I'm sure someone here will gladly point you in the right direction.

Un suivi rapide. Si vous voulez parler du jeu lui-même et non du forum, il est disponible en français. Je ne sais pas quel site vous avez peut-être acheté votre jeu, mais si vous rencontrez un problème pour trouver la (les) version (s) traduite (s), n'hésitez pas à demander, et je suis sûr que quelqu'un vous guidera avec plaisir dans la bonne direction.

Sur la version console, (sujet de l'article nous sommes bien d'accord) le jeu se trouve être en anglais et non traduit... Xbox one

On the console version, (subject of the article we agree) the game happens to be in English and not translated ... Xbox one 

Edited by Vanamonde
Please post in English when not using the International subforums.

On 2/15/2019 at 3:05 AM, Poodmund said:

On the contrary, I think there has been almost unanimous praise for the new Spider and Ant revamps in this thread.

On the contrary to the contrary, in the same breath those praising the Spider and Ant are complaining that the others should look like them.

Edited by Ahres

On 2/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, SQUAD said:

a brand new Mun Launchsite,

I feel like this would destroy the point of going to Mun in the first place. People won’t learn how to get to the mun (or any other similar bodies) and people won’t celebrate when they land on it.

The point is, it will ruin the challenge.

One of the game’s original challenges.

I hope it doesn’t come to PC

Edited by RocketSimplicity

1 hour ago, RocketSimplicity said:

I feel like this would destroy the point of going to Mun in the first place. People won’t learn how to get to the mun (or any other similar bodies) and people won’t celebrate when they land on it.

The point is, it will ruin the challenge.

One of the game’s original challenges.

I hope it doesn’t come to PC

You have to enable other launchsites through the difficulty options to begin with, I doubt the Mun launchsite will be any different. People who still want to learn the game and want a challenge can just leave this setting off, since it is disabled by default.

It would only be a extra option, say for people designing new crafts and then being able to quickly test them on the Mun or deep space without needing to get them there first.

I won't ruin the challenge because people who decide to turn it on are not looking for that challenge to begin with.

If anything, the ability to launch from other sites should be available in the tech tree with Woomerang and the Dessert somewhere in the middle and the Mun landing site being the last thing you unlock, to indicate the Kerbals are able to set up a permanent base on the Mun. With a couple other buildings added to make it look like a Mun colony. That would be cool and balanced since you would still get the challenge in the beginning and you would get something cool as a final reward.

It is hard for me to put into words just how bad and antithetical to the core gameplay of KSP it is to add a Mun Launch Site. What exactly is the point of a Mun rocket if you can just launch from the Mun to begin with? It would completely take away the magic if you could just teleport there. I don't give two quacks about what happens to the console version personally even though it's just as bad an idea there, but for god's sake do not put a Mun launch site in stock PC KSP without it being explicitly a cheat option or a hard-to-access easter egg or something. It's one thing to require the user set up a base with mining and refining before they can launch from the Mun, or to imagine an alternate game where the whole KSC starts on the Mun, it's entirely another to give the player a literal space portal to another world in a game which is supposed to be about realistic rocket flight.

4 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

It is hard for me to put into words just how bad and antithetical to the core gameplay of KSP it is to add a Mun Launch Site. What exactly is the point of a Mun rocket if you can just launch from the Mun to begin with? It would completely take away the magic if you could just teleport there. I don't give two quacks about what happens to the console version personally even though it's just as bad an idea there, but for god's sake do not put a Mun launch site in stock PC KSP without it being explicitly a cheat option or a hard-to-access easter egg or something. It's one thing to require the user set up a base with mining and refining before they can launch from the Mun, or to imagine an alternate game where the whole KSC starts on the Mun, it's entirely another to give the player a literal space portal to another world in a game which is supposed to be about realistic rocket flight.

I find your post to be both factual and reasonable.

I personally am looking forward not so much to the Mun launch site, but the API that will allow easy placing of assets anywhere in the system. Which of course was not promised but hey one can dream.

Kopernicus is fine and all but I'd love to make a Duna base with a Modulemanager config.

I suspect that the Munar launch site is a consolation prize given to the console community since the Mission Builder feature won't be available to them.  However, I agree with @GregroxMun and the others that have stated their opinions on why they think it's a bad idea.

In the end, I don't really care since it has no affect on my gameplay.  Even if it comes to PC, I'll just choose not to use it...And look disapprovingly at anyone that "lands" a rover on the Mun by driving it off the launch platform ramp. :sticktongue:

9 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

You seem to forget that having other launchsites is not a default setting in the game and has to be turned on in order to get them. So unless someone explicitely turns them on, the challenge is NOT gone. If people enable it they aren't interested in challenge. There is nothing wrong with adding optional features.

This entire thing feels like completely useless outrage for no reason, made without giving much thought about how it would be implemented.

49 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

This entire thing feels like completely useless outrage for no reason, made without giving much thought about how it would be implemented.

Outrage?  Your criterion of what constitutes outrage is interesting.  He didn't even use an exclamation mark in the entirety of what you quoted.

To me, it should be implemented separately from the On-Kerbin additional launchsites.  Those make sense in a game where the starting point is Kerbin.  Building a rocket in the VAB of Kerbin and having it magically warp to another planet to launch is a little too much for me.   Its weird enough the additional launchsites on Kerbin work that way, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and chalk it up to game mechanics.   Warping craft to the Mun... seems really weird, and not in a good way.

30 minutes ago, klesh said:

Warping craft to the Mun... seems really weird, and not in a good way.

It would seem a little less weird if the moon pad had more restrictions on it for size, mass, and part count in career mode(then you can wave it off as the vehicle being delivered there), make it something you can unlock and upgrade so you have a bit of an endgame beyond just unlocking the whole tech tree, but just as a freebie like the desert launch site? I imagine like autopilot features it would generate so much friction between those who play for the challenge to fly and everyone else that the debates would just be exhausting...