KSP Loading...KSP Enhanced Edition is getting some love

SQUAD

54 minutes ago, klesh said:

Outrage?  Your criterion of what constitutes outrage is interesting.  He didn't even use an exclamation mark in the entirety of what you quoted.

To me, it should be implemented separately from the On-Kerbin additional launchsites.  Those make sense in a game where the starting point is Kerbin.  Building a rocket in the VAB of Kerbin and having it magically warp to another planet to launch is a little too much for me.   Its weird enough the additional launchsites on Kerbin work that way, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and chalk it up to game mechanics.   Warping craft to the Mun... seems really weird, and not in a good way.

As I said, it's an optional game mechanic that's disabled by default.

It's a very sad day when people complain when devs add more content and more choices and ways to play the game. If you think it ruins the challenge, just leave it disabled and never touch it. The only thing it does is increase flexibilty and functionality for those people who specifically want to use it.

4 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

We don't even know how is this site going to be implemented yet - it could be something we have to find and repair or upgrade or something.

probably best not to make assumptions though remember when so many people still thought the mission creator would create contracts for career mode despite multiple statements to the contrary?

On 2/17/2019 at 7:47 AM, passinglurker said:

It would seem a little less weird if the moon pad had more restrictions on it for size, mass, and part count in career mode(then you can wave it off as the vehicle being delivered there), make it something you can unlock and upgrade so you have a bit of an endgame beyond just unlocking the whole tech tree, but just as a freebie like the desert launch site? I imagine like autopilot features it would generate so much friction between those who play for the challenge to fly and everyone else that the debates would just be exhausting...

I could imagine a late game "vehicle construction facility" that was unlocked from various nodes the end of the tech tree and required you to launch and assemble a number of heavy specialized modules  - a mining rig, a 3-d printing bay, an automated assembly module, a nuclear power station, etc...

Then you could assemble all of them and produce vehicles on another moon/planet. This would still require you to launch them from Kerbin and you'd still need to fly crews there - no 3D printing Kerbals. Maybe part of some end game colonization DLC. 

I don't like the idea of a magical launch site on the Mun though. 

Edited by Tyko

33 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I could imagine a late game "vehicle construction facility" that was unlocked from various nodes the end of the tech tree and required you to launch and assemble a number of heavy specialized modules  - a mining rig, a 3-d printing bay, an automated assembly module, a nuclear power station, etc...

Then you could assemble all of them and produce vehicles on another moon/planet. This would still require you to launch them from Kerbin and you'd still need to fly crews there - no 3D printing Kerbals. Maybe part of some end game colonization DLC. 

I don't like the idea of a magical launch site on the Mun though. 

I wasn't so much imagining colonization and off world facilities rather a "commercial service" that can deliver small payloads to various points in the solar system for you after you've explored them, but always being much smaller than what you could launch from kerbin and pilot to the same point yourself. A simple feature to cut out some tedium for smaller payloads so you can focus your time on the big ones.

23 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

I wasn't so much imagining colonization and off world facilities rather a "commercial service" that can deliver small payloads to various points in the solar system for you after you've explored them, but always being much smaller than what you could launch from kerbin and pilot to the same point yourself. A simple feature to cut out some tedium for smaller payloads so you can focus your time on the big ones.

Interesting idea. I still don't think I'd ever use it. Are you envisioning a cost and time element?

An user placeable launchpad would be a cool to have in the game. Both Tyko and passinglurker have good valid uses for it. I personally would love to build craft or launch a mission from the Mun, Duna, Laythe without the headache of mods or crafts parked (crashed, moved, disappearing) all over the place. But the thing I like the most about launchpad idea is it's a reason to build and maintain manned ground bases outside of refueling depots and the novelty of doing so.

Outside of placing it; to not make cheaty, add few simple rules for missions and crafts. Do you have enough resources (ore and EC?) to build the craft? Is there resources (fuel & EC?) available for it? If manned, are there Kerbals available in physics range for the craft? If unmanned, see the first rule. If all the checks are good, you can start your mission. If any condition can't be met, the mission can't be launched from there. That way even in sandbox you have to build (or cheat into place) some type of infrastructure to use it. If a recovery mechanic is added, then add this rule, is there room for the Kerbal(s) in any of the craft within range? Yes, your fine. No, a free space must be added or recovery isn't possible. That way you either have to expand the base, or create a craft to remove the extra Kerbals. Basically, it's like the KSC, but there are no freebies, you either follow the rules or it doesn't work.

13 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

An user placeable launchpad would be a cool to have in the game. Both Tyko and passinglurker have good valid uses for it. I personally would love to build craft or launch a mission from the Mun, Duna, Laythe without the headache of mods or crafts parked (crashed, moved, disappearing) all over the place. But the thing I like the most about launchpad idea is it's a reason to build and maintain manned ground bases outside of refueling depots and the novelty of doing so. 

Outside of placing it; to not make cheaty, add few simple rules for missions and crafts. Do you have enough resources (ore and EC?) to build the craft? Is there resources (fuel & EC?) available for it? If manned, are there Kerbals available in physics range for the craft? If unmanned, see the first rule. If all the checks are good, you can start your mission. If any condition can't be met, the mission can't be launched from there. That way even in sandbox you have to build (or cheat into place) some type of infrastructure to use it. If a recovery mechanic is added, then add this rule, is there room for the Kerbal(s) in any of the craft within range? Yes, your fine. No, a free space must be added or recovery isn't possible. That way you either have to expand the base, or create a craft to remove the extra Kerbals. Basically, it's like the KSC, but there are no freebies, you either follow the rules or it doesn't work. 

If developers uses this slant and limitations, this idea maked sense. But it need some work, I'm not sure the squad is ready to go for it now.

Good idea for KSP 2.0 though.

Edited by Aerospacer

This mun launch business reeks of the age old mantra of "I had to do it the hard way so you should too"

Get off your high horses and stop keeping the gates locked guys, you can't cheat in a single player game, you can only define the rules of your particular play style for yourself. The only qualifier for quality there is whether or not you as the player are enjoying yourself. If a feature is added that would make you personally enjoy the game less, then guess what, you can just turn it off or not turn it on to begin with. That's how it's been with everything else so far and we've been given no indication that's going to change any time soon.

Try not to forget this is a sandbox game, and the best sandboxes are the ones that give you the most tools to reshape the sand as you see fit. This is not a hardcore challenge game where you need to be an actual rocket scientist to build and fly a rocket. You merely have the option to make it that way if it sounds more fun to you.

I would love launch sites on other planets, just for the increased fun potential, and without having to rely on mods like EL that can be bloated, janky, require huge dependency trees or have hardcoded mechanics that make them less enjoyable. I'd like to picture end-of-life KSP having as many of the most popular mods available in the stock game as Squad finds reasonable to work on, properly integrated, stripped down to their barest most enjoyable functions, and guaranteed stable with every update, be they optional extras or DLC or whatever. This game built its success on the ease and depth to which it can be modified, and that feature alone has given it a lease of life way beyond its years. Let's not neglect that because some completely optional things would be considered too """easy""" for some of us who've put more hours into this than we can count. I'm personally looking forward to seeing how a vacuum-based launch site can be used to make the game harder for me, but that would require more than a jerk of the knee to think of, wouldn't it?

On 2/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, Loskene said:

the age-old mantra of "I had to do it the hard way so you should too"

That mantra can have benevolent motives. Being forced to do things the hard way, can be the fun part of a game.  

I understand the desire to give players a way to try out the vacuum launch portion of a mission, to let players design that the first trip to the moon in steps of their choosing.
Cheat menus traditionally give this flexibility.

PC players can use the mod Hyperedit,.  The Mission Builder can set a remote launchpad but the interface is too involved for a console --- it is too involved on PC for this purpose.  The cheat-menu functions 'set orbit' and 'hack gravity' are almost enough to test vacuum launches.  I would appreciate a cheat-menu option to set a craft on any body.

17 minutes ago, MSA said:

When will 1.7 come out?

Since SQUAD is now working on a 3-month release schedule, I reckon sometime in March.

18 minutes ago, MSA said:

Have you ever thought about adapting KSP to the Nintendo Switch?

Considering how the console edition went, I don’t think that would be a very good idea. It might not run very well either, since the Switch is designed for less physics-intensive games like Mariokart etc.

25 minutes ago, MSA said:

When will 1.7 come out?

Have you ever thought about adapting KSP to the Nintendo Switch?

They've announced a quarterly update schedule.  1.6 was released on Dec 19, which would make 1.7's release somewhere around March 19.

Last we heard anything Nintendo was that KSP's definitive version was going to be on the WiiU, but that was cancelled.  Since then, Squad has sold the rights to KSP so the Switch decision would be made by TakeTwo Interactive or Private Division, neither of which have ever posted one word to the KSP community, so your guess is as good as anyone's. :/ However, the Switch's 1.02GHz processor is woefully inadequate to run KSP at anything better than a slideshow (it is the weakest of the major consoles), and does not meet the minimum RAM requirements either.

Edited by klesh
typo

3 hours ago, klesh said:

However, the Switch's 1.02GHz processor is woefully inadequate to run KSP at anything better than a slideshow (it is the weakest of the major consoles), and does not meet the minimum RAM requirements either.

It's true that it's less powerful than the other leading consoles, and KSP would probably run badly on it, but just so everyone knows, the number of GHz is meaningless when comparing two different kinds of CPU, which is what we're doing here. E.g. the Switch and it's 1 GHz processor would absolutely smoke a Pentium 4 at 4 GHz, even with single-core operations.

2 minutes ago, Deddly said:

the Switch and it's 1 GHz processor would absolutely smoke a Pentium 4 at 4 GHz, even with single-core operations.

To be fair, comparing anything to netburst/P68 is meaningless.

On 2/24/2019 at 9:31 PM, OHara said:

That mantra can have benevolent motives. Being forced to do things the hard way, can be the fun part of a game. 

And here we disagree. Being given the option to do things the hard way can be a fun part of the game. It is only one way to play it though and it goes against the spirit of a sandbox to only have one acceptable playstyle. What is this, elite dangerous?

I enjoy a challenge just as much as anyone else, and usually set out with things on the hardest difficulty or thereabouts when I play something new, but I always like having the fallback option of taking it easy if I just want to experience everything the game has to offer without having potentially insurmountable obstacles thrown in the way of them. That isn't fun, it just makes people quit. Sometimes you want to be tested, sometimes you just want the showcase tour of the game's roster of features. I think it's better to have the options for both.