Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation

purpleivan

992stES.jpg

... or around the world in far too many days!

With a huge amount of vacation time owing to them, Jeb, Bill, Val and Bob have decided to take a trip around Kerbin by ship in something like a circumnavigation. With a true circumnavigation not possible without crossing land, and Bill claiming that building some kind of amphibious craft was heresy, they did the next best thing.

Their goal will be to travel along the route of the coastline, always keeping in sight of land, until they complete a trip along it that brings them back to the KSC.

For the trip Bill dug deep into his engineering knowhow to design the ship, and for their part the bosses at the KSC gave them the keys to the equipment stores and said "have at it".

In addition to the ship, Bill also added a rover that it will carry with it, to give the team a chance to head in land and check out the sights. The ship is equiped with refining equipment, so it can produce the fuel for its two jet engines.

iLDj11r.jpg

Any journey has to start somewhere, and this one began on the launch pad of the KSC, headed to the sea, then out to the the runway island before finally heading along the coast south of the space center.

HJng6tH.jpg

"Bye, bye KSC see you in a few... er... how long is this trip going to take Jeb?"

"I'm not sure, but it can't be long, I mean Kerbin's a pretty small place right!".

JwiKeL4.jpg

Into the drink.

U1xmW93.jpg

Free to roam the... er... how many seas does Kerbin have?

v1SYmOK.jpg

Let her rip.

RuYG3Dz.jpg

Hi runway island.

9inKtmz.jpg

The little seen dark cliffs of the South side of runway island.

rmyFRIR.jpg

Leaving the Three Sisters behind.

m6qjeZr.jpg

Mainland in sight.

gYpRUGq.jpg

"Take her in nice and easy Val."

R4MzqlZ.jpg

Refuelling the half empty tanks was going to take a little longer than expected (about 1.5 days) so Bill took the opportunity to inspect the vessel.

tYNHm1y.jpg

Before taking a dip while the rest of the crew tucked into dinner on the deck.

b7GPt7K.jpg

The salty sea, the Mun hanging overhead and a beautiful sunset... perfect start to some RnR.

UWTPL0d.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

ankrpca.jpg

A nice early start after filling the tanks with fuel.

ZeEWLfa.jpg

Time for Bob to go ashore in the rover and a quick fuel top up.

HEnvWMk.jpg

Heading away in the rover.

b8cdfJh.jpg

Gonna go a little further guys... don't leave without me.

RevThpf.jpg

Just a bit further.

KEfLTWH.jpg

Coming back now honest.

BV1pCLD.jpg

Jeb welcomes Bob back with the international signal for "come on, we've gotta go".

9dsq0Rn.jpg

Loading up the rover.

rYkxB81.jpg

Back at sea once more heading South. The mountains of the Cape of No Hope dominate the region.

P3CDoR7.jpg

A quick stop to make a save. Jeb notes that there's nothing South of here until you hit the South Pole.

XpF1bkn.jpgx

Heading for the Cape, hope the weather will be fine.

sXQRRmg.jpg

The ominous cliffs of the Cape.

IAlXk2K.jpg

Having rounded the Cape, the crew heads North into an area of shallow water. Val spots this lagoon and says it should make a good place to stop for the night.

mGkMiah.jpg

Good thing this boat has a small draft, the entry to the lagoon is seriously shallow.

0FQo4U2.jpg

But the setting for an overnight stay is well worth it.

Un8XtYM.jpg

Fuel extraction and sunset. The end to another great day for the crew.

wAKRPnt.jpg

For those who like more motion in their pictures, check out the video.

Edited by purpleivan

7uCiAyw.jpg

Bit of a late start as Val wanted to get herself seated on deck witha good supply of snacks.

FCSJZd0.jpg

Heading North.

sKxfuAn.jpg

The crew stopped off to process more or into precious fuel, while Bill and Val took the rover into the hills nearby. Val would be happier at the wheel, but as Bill got there first, he called dibs.

xmDrMm0.jpg

Heading away.

iwvyXdO.jpg

After a climb past a nearby lake, the pair stopped for a moment to take in the scenery.

cqinIXy.jpg

Ship in sight.

GxG1Mgd.jpg

With the tanks fuel it was time to leave and head North once more.

kAcJj1g.jpg

On their way again.

z1Vw70h.jpg

Munlight boating.

SXGiE6o.jpg

Finally with darkness almost upon them, it was time to make camp for the night.

6yee1PG.jpg

Hmmm... something is not quite right with our crew of coastal cruiser. The ISRU gear is taking forever to process fuel, the reason being that the pair of Drill-O-Matic Juniors aren't really up to the job.

Jeb's having second thoughts about the whole venture, but the KSC is going to lend a hand.

Enter... The Juice Goose.

IYcM7ze.jpg

These handy refuelling tankers will be sent out to points along the crew's route, to reduce their reliance on home brewed fuel. A quick slug from one of these, and they're on their way again, isntead of waiting several days for a bunch of recycled central heating parts to give them some of the good stuff.

The first of these headed out to the far shore of the sea that the crew are currently in. It'll be a while until they meet up with it, but at least the pilot took a deck of cards.

DQT8pud.jpg

Now the waiting begins.

U39wtoc.jpg

The 2nd tanker took off a few hours later, headed for about 130km North of the Coastal Cruiser's position.

NI60LYE.jpg

Better make a right there.

9ZcgXoJ.jpg

Ok Jeb, I got ya fuel right here.

VVbgGUX.jpg

wjgIkr0.jpg

With the KSC lending a helping hand with the fuel, spirits were high for their continuing journey North.

Once out of the bay that they'd moared in overnight, the Coastal Cruiser headed out into the open sea, with Val at the helm.

qRIy9SW.jpg

Bob's already excited about an attempt to take the rover up those mountains in the distance.

S8wdikF.jpg

A patch of rugged coastline, best avoid those rocks Val.

Snct989.jpg

While stopped for a save break, Val and Bob head to the top of some nearby hills.

OzFU219.jpg

Then head back down again.

azMXvbD.jpg

ALL ABOARD!

bxEKezX.jpg

Looking pretty shallow here.

Bxo2GbH.jpg

Back into deeper water.

Vf1SJb0.jpg

Fuel's getting really tight now as Jeb, who's back at the controls, guns the engines towards the awaiting tanker.

UsttkDI.jpg

"Fill her up on premium".

MiRuTBK.jpg

Gonna grab that rover right in the face.

d5XFidr.jpg

Full tanks again and another perfect sunset.

KNM94aP.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

11 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Enter... The Juice Goose.

I love that name. :lol:

The further you are getting away from the KSC, the further the Juice Gooses are going to have to fly later on, that's great for the story :cool:

I know pictures look better without the HUD, but I kinda missing seeing the extra details, like time, speed and fuel levels.

Great story so far, loving it.

5 hours ago, Triop said:

I love that name. :lol:

The further you are getting away from the KSC, the further the Juice Gooses are going to have to fly later on, that's great for the story :cool:

I know pictures look better without the HUD, but I kinda missing seeing the extra details, like time, speed and fuel levels.

Great story so far, loving it.

As some info, the Coastal Cruiser has a top speed when full of about 45m/s and a bit over 70 when near empty.

I don't know the range on full tanks, but I'll be checking that sometime soon.

I thought about the consumption of the fuel by the Juice Goose, and trips to the other side of Kerbin would eat up most of what's on board. So the plan is to make something bigger when the time comes... the Juice Moose perhaps, that can deliver a decent slug of fuel anywhere on the planet.

GZa4KPv.jpg

Passing through Crater Alley... or another day of playing with boats, rovers, and planes.

For anyone curious here's a shot with the HUD to show some info on the boat. As it turns out I was a bit conservative with my figures about its speed, as even with 80% of fuel on board, the Costal Cruiser still does a respectable 66m/s flat out.

6XLTPRV.jpg

Jeb wanted to make an early start and make as much headway as possible on this leg.

5t84fgm.jpg

After a while a stop was made for a save break, at yet another sandy cove.

A4ruWKW.jpg

The area of Crater Alley, so named due to the theory that the pock marking of lakes and bays was due to a storm of asteroids impacting the surface. Others say that when Kerbin was young and made of mud, The kraken took his dog for a walk through here.

MYwj4lA.jpg

Another stop, this time for Jeb and Bill to do a little exploring with the rover.

q6B7qH7.jpg

Nice view from up here.

uZQ5T2L.jpg

Time to move on, so better head back.

X4456JK.jpg

Pretty big island, in a pretty big bay.

daCCAUO.jpg

Bob's keen to take a crack at those snow coverred mountains in the distance, but Val explains that they are way too far from the coast to consider.

cYP1Vui.jpg

Almost dry of fuel, Val guns it for the shore, reaching a top speed of 72.2m/s.

WEU8t67.jpg

And now we play the waiting game.

nom3qB7.jpg

The Juice Goose that they met with the day before, takes to the skies to deliver more fuel, making use of a nearby hill for as a ramp.

CubhTbt.jpg

Hi guys... heard you were running a little low.

P5zvGH2.jpg

Another day, another rover to grab.

FSozy4F.jpg

Guys... where's the bathroom.

vuHG1lJ.jpg

Ahhhhhh... that's better, but how the hell am I going to get back in the cockput.

EALVVSo.jpg

a2ZgVOV.jpg

Day of Realisations... or hmmm, why doesn't that thing work.

In the evening the crew of the Coastal Cruiser left Gusman Kerman on the short where his Juice Goose had given them a fresh tank of fuel.

0r6rHBQ.jpg

The sun was heading for the horizon, so not too much more boating left in the day.

XFufygX.jpg

Bill was unsure about his decision to sit out on the deck for this part of the cruise.

7ZI9XBv.jpg

Not going to be much light left, so better plan on moaring up soon.

UOTsnL4.jpg

That's not going to help our fuel efficiency.

saWPEq2.jpg

Definitely time to head for shore.

XxUSICJ.jpg

Sitting under the stars enjoying a late night snack or two.

VWqyJT8.jpg

With the sunrise comes another day along the coast.

u5dqFV1.jpg

A stop for a save break and a chance for Bill and Bob to go ashore and take a look at an interesting looking lake up close.

89FqvWi.jpg

Bob suggests that it's probably an extinct volcano... well he hopes it extinct.

vLXlNMf.jpg

Back to the ship and back to sea.

HxDMl0y.jpg

It looks like running the jets at full throttle is wasting precious fuel, as the boat can do 50m/s at half throttle, but only 70m/s with the taps wide open. So no more gunning the engines for the hell of it now Val.

jEyWNJD.jpg

Another quick save break at the end of a sand bar in a lagoon.

llV4CFW.jpg

This one.

bQJGO8W.jpg

Time to move off again.

dqwrWIJ.jpg

With less than 100 units of fuel in the tanks, it's time to moar up and start the painful process of mining for fuel.

2TTxWFY.jpg

Bill has a few too many mimosas and almost falls into the cargo back containing the ISRU gear.

Y9MO4vC.jpg

And this is where the realisations start to kick in.

The ISRU fuel system is basically just decoration... it's taking an obscene amount of time to mine enough ore to turn into fuel and fill the tanks. So the plan now is to rely on tanker aircraft only. Fortunately the Woomerang and the Dessert Launch facilities are going to help out, by providing aircraft from those locations, which will make the job of supplying the Coastal Cruiser a bit easier.

On the plus side, sticking to 50m/s is making the fuel go quite a bit further, so there's one positive to come out the day.

Edited by purpleivan

Bigger Plans... or this thing is getting way out of hand.

In a change from our scheduled programming, we will today be focusing on rocket and plane action... all in a good cause.

As a lot of the globe would be near the end of the range of the Juice Goose, even when flown from Woomerang and the Dessert airfield, the crew of the Coastal Cruiser will be getting assistance in the form of rockets. Big, beefy rockets, that can lob 11,250 units of liquid good stuff to anywher on the planet.

Enter the "Fat Bob" Fuel Depot.

jqMUToT.jpg

This rocket launched slab of jet fuel is seen here dropping down towards the Northern regions of Kerbin.

0wyCP34.jpg

With the booster fuel expended, its time to jettison them and activate the airbrakes.

A3xuBdM.jpg

Finally onto the chutes to provide a 12m/s landing...

FNYzuaa.jpg

... and now in daylight.

hfmFWpu.jpg

With Fuel Depot Alpha in position, fuel for the Coastal Cruiser's travels in the Northern waters they are now entering will be covered locally, rather than with flights from the KSC.

The image below shows the area this depot will cover, rough adjusted to account for the projection onto a globe (i.e wider towards the pole). Other depots will be placed at the locations indicated by the red dots, as the Coastal Cruiser enters the area they will serve.

BSkrlko.jpg

Ok... enough about plans and maps, what about the planes I mentioned.

Well, here's a Juice Goose heading out from the KSC, to supply the Coastal Cruiser, before heading on to Fuel Depot Alpha.

t5PqkbF.jpg

Here the ever reliable (if a bit slow) Juice Goose passes over the cove the Coastal Cruiser is moared in (it's the small grey blob to right of the nose).

vsyL3hV.jpg

It takes a tight turn over the sea, to fly back in over the cove, to land on the steep slope beyond.

auN4P3P.jpg

Just need to roll down to the shore now.

e9yxOFD.jpg

The slope of the beach looks a bit steep where the boat's moared, so the Juice Goose parks up next to shallower water.

aIX9Kyh.jpg

Once the Coastal Cruiser has move along the shore, Bill guides the pilot in to grabber the rover, alowing refuelling to begin.

QGnYXms.jpg

With a fresh load of fuel on the Coatal Cruiser, it and the Juice Goose part company.

PsdOpYS.jpg

Then they part company a lot faster, as the JG hits the gas to rocket up the sloping hillside.

UDDyRTF.jpg

Zooming up the hill the plane is finally back in the air... now to find that Fat Bob.

8oPZAGw.jpg

See ya later guys.

OyOKYY1.jpg

Out over open sea.

oU5zTFy.jpg

Fat Bob looks pretty small from up here.

um2Y4r8.jpg

A bit bigger from here though... now to grab myself some full tanks.

xAkzFSZ.jpg

That's better, fully loaded now.

"Errr... KSC, do these Panthers have reverse thrust".

"That would be a negatory Juice Goose".

Hmmm... I can see a slight issue with this design.

ImdQOmf.jpg

After much raising and lowering the gear, coupled with some dabs of thrust, she's finally free to run a new supply mission.

Iyk8xeW.jpg

fKi7IHU.jpg

Scaling the heights... or setting some records, plus some actual heights scaling to keep Bob happy.

Well it looks like this has been the longest leg yet, I've no actual distance to refer to, but looking at the map it seems the longest trip so far. It also featured the fastest speed yet, when Jeb gunned it for the shore at the end of the leg, getting the boat up to 74m/s

But back at the start of the leg...

The sun about to set after the Juice Goose gave them a fresh refill, and Jeb wanted to get the most out of the day, so headed out to sea. Bill seems a little unhappy to be out at this hour.

MDbHveI.png

Bob doesn't look too happy either, but Val's happy enough for both of them.

5kb6yOm.png

Way too dark to be messing about at sea, so better head to shore.

nytaYhs.png

Next day it's an early start and everyone is looking happy.

gcJiPms.png

The coastal Cruiser strikes out across the sea.

qxvSiSb.png

I think I hear Bob drooling in the rover... it looks like mountains ahead.

vRgJnnb.png

It is and mighty big ones too.

e6hglK7.png

Jeb guides th boat into a shallow cove and goes as far in as he can, bringing the boat to the edge of the foothills.

pOhLUqM.png

With the boat parked, Bob and Val take to rover and head inland and uphill. But decisions, decisions... which mountain to head for.

lzLUCm3.png

That one!

O0MxVd9.png

Bob guns the motors up through the foothills, eager to get to something more challenging.

nlA6qVT.png

Soon he's guiding the little rover along a narrow ridge.

5Jpp9GY.png

Things then got a little steeper.

DkxFFMr.png

Then a lot steeper... even Val was getting worried at this point.

zsrSWyF.png

Still heading up... there's gotta be some flat ground to park on somewhere.

KYhiHSa.png

This'll do.

The rover's beached at first, but a bit of wiggling on those springy little wheels soon has it free.

spclNLf.png

Val climbs out the top hatch to get a better look at the view, then checks the time... she remembers that Jeb's cooking dinner, and she doesn't want to miss those spicy hot wings.

Time to get climbing or heading home.

A2TGz9p.png

Bob once again pushes the rover upward, wanting to get as high as they can before heading back.

j0ZKsLb.png

A momentary breather on some near level ground and a chance to charge the batteries.

0z1iuge.png

This is probably going to be the last climb ahead... looks pretty treacherous after that.

Pn8k1TV.png

Val's hanging on to the grab handles and shouting obscenities at Bob... what on Kerbin does he think he's doing out here.

On the other hand, she has to admit it's a fine view.

MCaly0m.png

Ok, this has to do... this high and no further.

The pair have climbed to 2425m above the Coastal Cruiser, down at sea level, which is 12.4km away.

XKrJjUJ.png

Time to head back down hill... hot wings are calling.

Q081gTh.png

Bob looks satisfied with today's climb.

IceobeT.png

But secretly he's have liked to have a crack at the summit.

W8hbgjZ.png

Back down into the foothills.

pyf1Sw2.png

Finally back at the boat in time for Jeb's cooking.

bRTXQv6.png

Dinner's finished, but the day's not over yet as there's still plenty of gas in the tanks, so Jeb heads out to sea.

yGLLboS.png

Bob's a bit unhappy about leaving those mountains behind... don't worry fella, I'm sure there'll be more later in the trip.

SsYFwcW.png

So long and nice to have met ya mountains.

CwULhp8.png

With the fuel tanks running low, it's time to stop for the night and and wait for tanker support at the end of a long and busy leg.

wj1Q2It.png

Edited by purpleivan

Fuel all round... or, how Gusman Kerman finally gets back in the game.

No travels for the Coastal Cruiser today, but plenty of plucky Juice Goose action. Here one of these fine birds is seen leaving Fuel Depot Alpha, after getting freshly tanked up.

OKsnR9G.jpg

A boat with near empty tanks is waiting to take on another load of fuel.

j7Ss16U.jpg

This beach is a bit steeper than others the Goose has made stops at, which makes hooking up with the boat a little tricky.

czEoCE7.jpg

Like I said... a little tricky. Good thing the Goose is as happy floating in the drink as it is on land.

v16qkr4.jpg

Leaving one satisfied customer behind it, the tanker heads off to supply a vehicle of a different kind.

4vb0X5G.jpg

Hey that's Gusman Kerman's plane over there.

Mf6Dhub.jpg

Didn't quite make the shore, but fortunately the Juice Goose made a good water landing and not just a splash followed by a bunch of lost parts.

P4pE3JY.jpg

"Here's ya fuel Gus...so what ya been doing the past couple of days?"

"Just hanging out, looking at the sea... oh, can you give my bird a shove into the water when you're done fueling, so I can climb onboard."

Lct2HnT.jpg

With some extra fuel on board, enough to get his plane to Fuel Depot Alpha, Gus swims over to a wing to climb up on and get to the cockpit.

rTPnhAM.jpg

He's just so happy at the thought of getting back in that cockpit.

xWyd7yp.jpg

Finally Gus gets onboard his plane and brings it back on shore. Both these Juice Goose are now ready to head on to the fuel depot to get fully laden tanks once more.

AZLpefe.jpg

13 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Cool!  You need to add a ladder to the cockpit on them thar Juice Geese.

I didn't expect the pilots to ever come out of the cockpits so didn't bother with a ladder. Then I went and took a screenshot with him with the boat's crew and realised I didn't have an easy way to get him back in the plane.

Then I thought why not come up with a complicated way for him to get back in the plane.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:40 AM, purpleivan said:

I can see a slight issue with this design

He heh, I feel your pain.  After all the experimentation I have done with coupling to receive fuel...  "Always approach from the downhill [when possible]."

I really like your plane and your strategy to rocket fuel into an area!!  Good luck with the endeavor!

VJl32tj.jpg

Trick of the light... or playing about with the KS3P postprocessing mod.

Today was split into two parts, first getting a pair of tanker birds to Fuel Depot Alpha, then a dash North West in the Coastal Cruiser.

I installed the KS3P mod by @The White Guardian and it's certainly giving some of the screenshots extra punch.

With some extra fuel in the tanks for the trip, Gusman Kerman takes off, leaving her budy behind to catch up later.

oLOlTqU.jpg

She takes to the air and catches a nice depth of field shot for the occasion.

cnd7qOO.jpg

She makes it to Fuel Depot Alpha and starts to refuel.

O3I8kzA.jpg

Then another pilot takes to the skies, heading North to the depot.

4dhAy1l.jpg

A pair of geese and a Fat Bob.

JIv4V3S.jpg

Though these days Fat Bob is looking pretty svelt... filling up these two bird (well, one is only about 90% full) has drained it dry. Taking the fuel used in flying around, that's probably a total of 3 more refills for the Coastal Cruiser. But that should be enough to see the boat headed a long way South, but a new Fuel Depot will need to be launched, this time headed for the North Eastern part of the desert region.

KiEPITk.jpg

With the pair of Juice Goose, all juiced up, they wait for there next callout.

3mDM1oN.jpg

Meanwhile, back at sea, the Coastal Cruiser is on the move again.

XNlsZVT.jpg

They make a quick stop for a save break.

x6STcgz.jpg

Now that the tanks are only about 20% full the boat's getting pretty light, and it can make 50m/s at half throttle.

ILNavvk.jpg

Jeb looks over his shoulder and notices the sun is getting close to the horizon. Time to think about making a stop.

IteDFcv.jpg

Another day of smooth sailing coming to and.

Eu9AV39.jpg

There's a long bar ahead and Jeb heads for the thick end of it.

SfU4gAY.jpg

Well that's the end of Leg 8... time for the crew to hit the kitchen.

nUwCw29.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.