Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation

purpleivan

9 hours ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

So... have you updated to 1.7 yet?

Not yet.

I usually wait a week or so for the mods to have time to catch up... then I forget... forget some more, and after about a month I get around to it.

Is there something in 1.7 that might be an advantage/disadvantage for the cruise?

10 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Not yet.

I usually wait a week or so for the mods to have time to catch up... then I forget... forget some more, and after about a month I get around to it.

Is there something in 1.7 that might be an advantage/disadvantage for the cruise?

Not sure. It would be cool, though, to be able to see how much water depth you're in.

1 hour ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

Not sure. It would be cool, though, to be able to see how much water depth you're in.

I've got the terrain altitude readout from KER in the "with HUD" images, but the text is a bit small for the size limit for images.

This one has the boat at 913.1mm

enKvrds.jpg

Motoring along at 81.1m

dvXe2z2.jpg

Deep stuff here off the desert coast at 639.7m

oqkm034.jpg

21 hours ago, purpleivan said:

I've got the terrain altitude readout from KER in the "with HUD" images, but the text is a bit small for the size limit for images.

This one has the boat at 913.1mm

enKvrds.jpg

Motoring along at 81.1m

dvXe2z2.jpg

Deep stuff here off the desert coast at 639.7m

oqkm034.jpg

You should be able to find the smiley face that reaches 1.5+km down in that ocean.

9 minutes ago, TheTripleAce3 said:

You should be able to find the smiley face that reaches 1.5+km down in that ocean.

if I did this again (what am I talking about... not a chance) I'd go all out and equip the boat with a submersible and a mini plane, as well as a rover.

Actually if no-one else does it, I might make the thing just to see how ridiculous it is.

If I do make it, it has to be called the K.S.S Kitchen Sink.

1 minute ago, purpleivan said:

if I did this again (what am I talking about... not a chance) I'd go all out and equip the boat with a submersible and a mini plane, as well as a rover.

Actually if no-one else does it, I might make the thing just to see how ridiculous it is.

If I do make it, it has to be called the K.S.S Kitchen Sink.

Small VTOL plane w/ claw or ISRU could be cool to use. Almost like the "Mars Scout Helicopter" idea planned for the 2020 Rover.

Perchance to... or, go easy on the cheese Bob.

The day started like any other, with the early morning sun spilling across the bay. Then Bob saw something on the horizon... some that was rapidly getting closer.

LM7BGXs.jpg

As the object drew closer, he had to rub his eyes, as it was almost like looking in a mirror. A boat very similar to their very own Coastal Cruiser was headed towards them.

It was indeed very similar, but somehow... better, and Bob was excited to find out what this new arrival was.

DIIuSi2.jpg

The mystery boat came to a halt a few metres from the one on which Bob stood. The roar of its jet engines drew the attention of the rest of the crew, who all headed out to the deck to take a look.

Suddenly an old friend appeared at the cockpit hatch. It was Andin Kerman, who had been one of the pilots to fly out from the KSC to refuel them, in the early weeks of their voyage. Andin jumped into the water and swam towards the waiting crew.

5UHlmxf.jpg

After a brief chat Andin returned to the new boat, which had the offical name of the LRC (Long Range Cruiser), but was known by the team who had worked on it as the K.S.S Kitchen Sink. She brought the vessel alongside their boat and they quickly leapt across, eager to see what was onboard this shiny new craft.

IMeBzVW.jpg

Bob headed to the stern, where a rover very much like his own, but with one major addition, in the form of a 1000 unit battery, sat ready to be driven.

8aNzmUr.jpg

Val also headed to the rear of the vessel, having spied a pair of mini jets attached either side of the rover.

QKYMtEQ.jpg

With everyone aboard this intriguing new craft, Andin turned it around and parked it at the shoreline.

Then she made her way to the rover to join Bob who was waiting in the cab.

E2qtlLL.jpg

The pair headed for the mountains and suddenly they were in the foothills.

MF07x22.jpg

Q6Ei1fr.jpg

Even with the 1300 units of electical power, the rover needed to charge on a steep slope a couple of time, leaving Bob and Andin sliding down as the power went up.

bNZi3zV.jpg

But soon there were up in the white stuff. Bob was sure that they couldn't have made it up here in the rover on the Coastal Cruiser... this would surely make a wonderful replacement.

tT90djP.jpg

Soon they were at the top... almost 5.5km. Not a record, but a fine feat in this new piece of kit.

jvaec1y.jpg

Before heading down, Bob and Andin took a moment to check out the view.

CzjWv1P.jpg

Then the headed for the edge. Bob would normally be more careful and find a less perilous route down, but for some reason he just drove straight off the top of the mountain.

Fortunately this new rover was equiped with parachutes, that slowed their descent to 30m/s. So what might have been a nightmare of exploding rover parts, was instead a leisurely drive to the foothills below.

hzbaWBC.jpg

It seemed like no time and the pair were back where the two boats were moored.

Now it was time for Val to get just what she wanted for this trip. A tiny plane for her to buzz around in and get a little stunt flying done.

bemUfle.jpg

Suddenly it was Andin's turn to have some fun.

She gunned the boat's engines and headed a few kilometres out to sea, before coming to a halt in deeper water.

nNEfgOx.jpg

She made her way to the a suprise in the belly of the shiny boat... a minisub.

Bob could have sworn than Andin couldn't swim and had a morbid fear of water, but she said this is what she did for fun.

fjencXa.jpg

She took the sub down into the murky depths... down, down, down she went, until she was almost a kilometer below the boat up on the surface.

soxQW0v.jpg

Finally she reached the bottom and sped around, just above the ocean floor.

HrMSJgg.jpg

After whizzing around the bottom for a while, she headed back to the surface, and in seemingly no time she had the underside of the boat in sight.

HbdAyi5.jpg

She overdid her speed of arrival at the surface and leapt from the water like some great fish, before slapping back onto it with a big splash.

I16uABY.jpg

Andin brought the minisub back to Kitchen Sink, cruising along on the surface, before diving under the rear of the boat and docking in the cargo bay.

bMJOnBj.jpg

Suddenly there was a jolt... Bob sprang up from the deck, the morning sun on his face. His stomach felt rather uncomfortable and his mouth tasted like he'd been chewing for hours on a mouldy old sock.

He straigtened up and got to his feet, blinking in the strong sun.

The sound of waves lapping against the shore gave him a clue he wasn't out at sea, and that boat, with its collection of fancy toys, was nowhere to be seen.

He sighed... there was no denying it, it looked like last night's gorgonzola eating competition had probably been a bad idea.

8UoQPcY.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

12 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

So wait, are we switching boats or not?

That would be a no.

I didn't think about the fact that although it had 3x the range, it also needs 3x the fuel, so no real benefit in terms of time. Plus having the distraction of planes and a minisub (in addition to the rover) would make the trip take even longer.

So I built the thing, did a bunch of testing and tweaking, brought it out to the location of the Coastal Cruiser, took a bunch of pics... then scraped it.

Edited by purpleivan

6rMpUbT.jpg

Double Feature... or, what happens when you get up stupidly early.

With Bob recovering from his fever dream and claiming that he doesn't need to climb that mountain, as it feels like he's already done it, more fuel is called in.

This time it's Staemy's turn to take to the skies.

N9NbS4d.jpg

Then to fly over some mountains.

vAPHNoh.jpg

There's her target, just a few kilometers away, so time to make a turn.

TWRCuQT.jpg

She swung the Goose round in a long turn and brought it in along the beach, over the Coastal Cruiser.

0sXdeED.jpg

Once refuelled it was time to say goodbye (for now) to Staemy and head out to deeper waters.

IjO9tsP.jpg

Jeb (who if Val's think's has been hogging the pilot seat) guides the boat down the coast and past the end of the mountain chain.

3NL0TVI.jpg

It was evening when they set off, so it's not long before they have to think about where to park overnight.

dIgHmbD.jpg

Still more than half fuel onboard, so plenty more boating tomorrow.

4X8UTMU.jpg

Jeb brings the boat in at a rather different angle than normal and hopes he hasn't grounded it.

But he's not going to worry about that until morning. So time to crank up the margarita machine and get out the board games.

K8Mf8gt.jpg

Another sunny morning for the crew, as they head out again on leg 31.

cHSJid6.jpg

The terrain on this leg has been pretty tame compared with the mountains that they left behind, but this one feature stood out.

So what are you gonna call it Bob?

"The bookend" he suggests.

Hmmm... well, I kind see it.

mR4JVUw.jpg

This stretch of the coast even looks boring from this altitude. Not much to see here, even inland.

S81cTqn.jpg

Fuel's getting low, so time to put in and wait for a Goose delivery.

OuxqmnS.jpg

Jeb takes it easy coming in to shore, as he doesn't want the boat parked on a steep slope like last night. The margaritas kept sliding off the table.

xqm2V1v.jpg

Well that's it for this nail biting leg... so much drama and excitement.

In the next leg, the brave crew of the Coastal Cruiser get fuel, drive boat, go somewhere.

JhKEuoW.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

gSHQD2D.jpg

Part D'oh!.. or, who put that there.

Getting fuel to the Coastal cruiser in the exciting 2nd part of today's feature was a little more complicated than usual.

Although Staemy had enough onboard to get the boat and fill it up, she would have been unable to get back to Woomerang, as the route to it was pretty much a straight line away from base. So Tanford, who was still parked on a beach further North, headed out to meet their fellow pilot, to top up Staemy's Goose, with what they could spare.

Gpzu62k.jpg

Another beach landing ahead.

hWlwB5m.jpg

Not the smoothest landing, but the Goose is down.

hLozMhv.jpg

After transfering about 700 units of fuel to Staemy's plane, Tanford has 808 units to get back to base with... not a bad state to be in, with Woomerang only a shortish flight away.

GGWgbi7.jpg

Staemy thanks Tanford for the top up and hits the afterburners.

P6du4Wg.jpg

After the flight South, Staemy met up with the Coastal Cruiser and filled up their tanks. She still had a little over 1400 units left for the long trip back North to Woomerang.

K4Tgyyk.jpg

With a full belly, the Coastal Cruiser heads out once more.

DdhEj0q.jpg

Jeb braves the shallows to buzz through the gap between a large island and the mainland.

uW0qMBE.jpg

At around the 1/2 tanks level, the crew arrive at something they've not encountered before. It's the entrance to a huge "almost lake", which unfortnately is attached by a narrow inlet to the open sea.

This means that they have to venture into it, as it forms part of the mainland coast. That would normally just be a minor inconvenience, but this thing is huge.

6fvZs5P.jpg

Jeb guided the boat through the first of two narrows that have to be passed through to enter the "almost lake" (can't believe it's not lake... wish it was a lake).

MaXxQM1.jpg

A couple of minutes later it's time to pass through the inner narrow, that gives the final access to the large body of water beyond.

3r1lCeM.jpg

Finally they make through to the large expanse of water.

"Who nicked the coastline" Jeb asks.

It's still there... just a long, long way away.

cZhLnCO.jpg

Not the clearest image (damm you clouds), but this is a big area of water to explore. This picture is looking inland from above the open sea, towards the back of the thing.

So Bob, you fancy giving this place a name.

"How about the Lake of Sorrow".

How come?

"Cos' we're sorry it's not a lake".

0JxHaqD.jpg

The sun is getting low and so is the fuel level. Jeb's going to have to start thinking about where to bring the boat in.

RgzsyCH.jpg

Any time now Jeb...

ZL1GnLv.jpg

It's lights on time and Jeb's still ploughing on, wanting to make as much use of the remaining light as possible.

8N9HHRJ.jpg

Finally he brings the boat to a stop on the shore of a small cove. With Woomerang now quite some distance North and no planes with spare fuel nearby, it might be time for a visit from MIRF.

X0WCwZh.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

4 hours ago, Fraston said:

If you think that almost-lake is painful, then you are going to scream at what comes ahead in another 17-25 legs.

Also, keep em' comin'!

Now you've got me thinking... I'll have to take a closer look at the map.

When I made my rough route layout for my map images, I didn't think that almost-lake was connected to the sea, as you can see from one of my earlier leg images (ringed in red).

1DadvkB.jpg

The bit to watch out for in "17-25 legs"... is that the water in the bottom left of the image that juts up North from the East/West coastline, with a couple of bigish islands in it's entrance?

Hoping it's that, as it's something I know is coming.

Edited by purpleivan

2DXLfBn.jpg

Leaving the Lake of Sorrow... or, so long and thanks for nothing.

With the boat now needing fuel, but a long way from Woomerang, help from above was called upon.

MfL2g3K.jpg

De-orbiting was straightforward, as was the descent to parachute deployment altitude, but at that point things went a little pear shaped.

For some reason staging just didn't work... I was mashing the Space bar, but nothing was happening. So I tried to do it manually, which led to deployment of one parachite, then immediately cutting it as I franticly tried to deployed the others. The resulting debacle was an F9 requiring impact with the sea.

Thankfully on the 2nd attempt staging worked fine.

dbZFZfU.jpg

Kersploosh... one fat tub of fuel in the drink.

Mh08guB.jpg

With news that their orbital gas station had arrived, the boat headed out on thr 8km journey to meet it.

94oaiUi.jpg

Well thar she blows... but in this part of the world whale harpoons you.

fvw7cwP.jpg

Jeb jumped out on deck to check that everything was hooked up properly, then went back inside to get the Coastal Cruiser slurping the juice down.

5csg6Er.jpg

With full tanks once more, the crew headed off on their journey around the Lake of Sorrow.

mjBpkTS.jpg

Here's a better picture of the "lake". On the right are the two fairly narrow passages through which access to it from the sea is made.

qwk2Y4U.jpg

As they sped towards the South end of the body of water, there was land.

Q2uPeME.jpg

On the other nothing as far as the eye can sea.

b75f6VG.jpg

Finally the South end of the "lake" came into view, so it was time to swing the boat around and head back towards the passage to the open sea.

w87cVoR.jpg

After a while the inner most of the passages came into sight.

MSznrjB.jpg

Then a few minutes later the second.

DWB3PwV.jpg

At this point the Coastal Cruiser, which hadn't quite made it to the open sea, was 100km from the MIRF at the far end of the "lake".

ZwC4VlQ.jpg

Break out the bubbly... it's celebration time.

The boat is finally back out on the sea, albeit with only 1/3 fuel left in the tanks.

bvdMEOd.jpg

As the speed East along the coast, the Mun rises above the waves.

gaYYlNR.jpg

Travelling East means that for the first time on this voyage, the sun is setting behind the boat.

TIQjIeW.jpg

Time to find a good spot to stop overnight. That little cove to the right of the small islands should do.

uJVbFea.jpg

Bob gets a bit blinded by the glare from the setting sun, so he pulls a hat over his face and gets a little shut eye.

6lkdOkh.jpg

A couple of minutes later and the Coastal Cruiser is moored and empty of fuel once again.

ur74He1.jpg

But it looks like things are going to have to move around the board when it comes to fuel supply. Woomerang is now so far that a Juice Goose could probably only refuel the boat once before having to head back to base. So in the next post, it'll be time once more, to bring rocket power back into the equation.

9w2JOza.jpg

There in 30 minutes or you money back... or, heading South and setting up camp.

It's was again time for the faithful old fuel depot to get back into the game. After it's sterling service in the northern reaches of Kerbin, it was needed once more, this time in the southern hemisphere. Woomerang was chosen as the launch site as the targetted landing site was much closer to it was to the KSC.

Liftoff was uneventful, although Dean, asleep in his Juice Goose, did wake up a little panicked when this thing took off beside him.

5kE3AZi.jpg

With the ascent phase complete, the engines were shut down for the coast to the SSE

IEcWyyB.jpg

Almost looks like the same picture, but now the blunt end is pointing SSE and the engines have roared to life once again for a braking burn.

vXc8fsj.jpg

With the boosters detached the fuel depot glides down towards the surface.

z2EoAmV.jpg

Chute deployment this time went without a hitch (looking at you MIRF), but for some stange reason, the trees seem to have been frightened by this visitor from the sky.

F1XZprI.jpg

Really frightened.

lwh0N0j.jpg

But they needn't have worried, there was no fiery end to the descent. Fuel Depot 2 had landing and was open for business, even if the trees were still hiding on the horizon.

lxlxRbP.jpg

But a scene reload persuaded the local fauna to come back, a little something extra for future screenshots.

DiuF23X.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

6rajTTU.jpg

Witch way now... or, not another sequel.

After the 14985Kn alarm clock woke him, Dean had some flying to do. The plan was to send him to the Coastal Cruiser, then on to a later stopping point to do the same again, before heading for the new Fuel Depot.

jlfB5XO.jpg

It was quite a long journey, with the vast majority of it over open sea. Out here Dean had nothing to keep him company.

iFH96a9.jpg

Except the clouds of course.

n0jYEK5.jpg

With about 1/4 of the fuel on the Goose consumed by the light there, Dean was finally in sight of the boat.

8d6gqpx.jpg

Once down and hooked up to the boat, more fuelling fun ensued... not forgetting that little tank at the front.

PobeCav.jpg

Dean watched as the freshly fuelled Coastal Cruiser headed out into the blue. As it's headed (very) roughly in the direction of Fuel Depot 2, he'll meet up with them again soon for a top up, then South to his new base.

etR4rmj.jpg

Some nice sandy beaches in this part of the world.

ZzNveYK.jpg

So Bob... care to take a crack at a name for this unusual feature.

"Well, obvious isn't it"

Not really.

"Witch's Hat Mountain"

But didn't you call something else the same thing.

"No, that was Wicked Witch Mountain, totally different thing".

f2UTpwX.jpg

So leaving Witch's Hat Mountain in the rear view mirror, the boat sped on. eventually coming across one of those annoying little "gotta divert into it for a peak" bays, so all the coastline has been seen from the boat.

uux3KmV.jpg

Ok... we've peaked, now can we get on with the trip.

ICVrkgF.jpg

Nice try there lake, but you've cleary not joined to the sea, so we'll just keep moving on.

lxTZE76.jpg

Down to half tanks.

gRcPWtT.jpg

There are a number of fairly large coastal islands in this neck of the wood. Jeb thinks about pulling over for a save break, but knows that Bob will only pester him to go play with the rover, and this cruise needs to get motoring.

UPRoZXG.jpg

Beyond the back of a large bay lay some mountains, one of which was particularly spikey and probably impossible for Bill to climb.

So car to give it a name Bob.

"Sure, I'd call it Witch's Hat 2... The Witchening".

Pyde9bX.jpg

Bill headed out on deck as the boat plowed on Eastward, to get a nice arty shot of the rear of the boat at sunset.

Something for him to add to his next "Dear Bill" article for the Kerbin Gazette.

cwi0xb6.jpg

Jeb wanted to get the most out of the fuel they had onboard, so he heads into the darkness, looking for a good place to stop.

vLFSwXX.jpg

He guides the boat towards a shallow headland that he thinks will make a good spot to meet a Goose at. However there is a large area of shallow water and that bottom suddenly comes up at him, making him more than a little worried. He swings the boat around to avoid a sliver of rock that's sticks slightly above the water line.

KReU4J0.jpg

But the boat gets grounded at the end of that sliver. It's not a catastophe, as they're pointing towards slightly deeper water, but it was a bit of a moment when the boat just suddenly stopped.

So this is where they will be spending the night, and in the morning they'll use a light boat and jet power to free themselves for a meeting with Dean and the Goose.

EKHp7ig.jpg

QJHd64K.jpg

No boats allowed... or, oh no not again.

Leg 35 started like all the others, with a cry for help in the form of fuel. Dean was happy to oblige, so headed East along the coast to bring the liquid goodness.

TuhJVrC.jpg

On the way he swept over some of the islands that Coastal Cruiser had motored past the day before.

4UMvmYk.jpg

"Now where's that boat... ah over there, funny place to stop".

rY38INT.jpg

"Jeb... you need some help".

cykqdcv.jpg

Fortunately reloading the game had somehow made the boat drift very slightly from its previously saved position, so it was no longer beached.

UrEBHMb.jpg

Jeb manouvered the boat around to come ashore in an easier place for the Goose to give it the Juice. There was enough fuel for a complete fill up...

XMMLW4E.jpg

... with close to 800 left in the tanker for the trip to Fuel Depot 2.

H9HV8Oi.jpg

So what issue afflicted this leg of the trip... well in the pic below, that patchwork of lakes and sand is clearly not navigable by boat. But on the map it looks like there was a passage through here.

hpno1aI.jpg

So starting from the coastline in the bottom right, they've got to sail all the way around this peninsula, rather than cutting through what looked like water, towards the top right.

8SAuFW8.jpg

Oh well... nice day for it I suppose.

VzyqZWe.jpg

Having rounded the tip of the peninsula and travelled a little down the other side, the boat is already down to half a tank of fuel.

iTzPEZM.jpg

What's this... a sneaky bit of coastline that's trying to hide away.

DRxvOOy.jpg

So in they went to have a look.

3wOd24r.jpg

Some pretty shallow water on the way in, but nothing to worry about.

bBYDjLl.jpg

Ok, so that's that done... time to get back out to sea.

2rZ0XvJ.jpg

So back they went across the shallows.

OU08H7c.jpg

So... with almost 2/3 of the leg's fuel used, they're finally the other side of what was thought to be a waterway. It must have cost them about half of the leg's fuel to not be able to make their way through it.

EvP3OQx.jpg

Finally the day's events were about to come to an end. Jeb stats to look for a decent landing site for the Goose and this looks like one, so he heads into the cover.

Nylf7xV.jpg

But the crew can now sit out in the evening sun and think about the trip South into the the southern hemisphere.

oj3vGzY.jpg

FZXxrlm.jpg

Tic, Tack, Toe... or, Bob strikes again.

Now that the action has moved to the southern hemisphere, the crew of the Coastal Cruiser feel like they're finally making some real progress.

With the call sent out for a refuel and Dean having only enough to get him to the new Fuel Depot 2, it was time for another takeoff from Woomerang.

WG4Euru.jpg

This time it was Tanford who took to the skies in her flying gas truck.

XEjjRvq.jpg

After the long flight over the ocean, she made a smooth landing on the beach near the boat.

z6KlZNF.jpg

At least the boat didn't need to be moved this time in order to hook up the Goose to it. While the fuel flowed, Tanford grabbed some "corpse waker" chillies from the snacks box to chomp on.

oIy71yG.jpg

With the boat refilled, Juice Goose 3 has enough fuel onboard to refill it once more, before heading to Fuel Depot 2. The Coastal Cruiser should be fairly close to the FD2 when it makes its next stop, so the flight to it won't be much of a diversion for Tanford.

NLWJs4d.jpg

The joys of heading South, heading in the right direction, heading for adventure... well if cruising the coastline of Kerbin is adventureous that is.

t8Na7FF.jpg

Bob's been feeling a bit under the weather today, so it's going to be Val's turn to name this feature.

She decided on "Nessie".

VnoXhVK.jpg

This stretch of coastline is quite heavily pitted with bays of various sizes. This was one was probably a medium.

The smaller ones could be straight lined across their mouth for an efficient route, with the larger ones requing more of a diversion.

xXZADGg.jpg

More sandy beaches... they seem to be a popular feature around these parts.

6LbJERc.jpg

A feature of a different kind this time, but as Bob is not quite himself today, the boat ploughs on, instead of the usual stop for some rover aided mountain climbing.

vRtpOlq.jpg

Just below half tanks and we're making good progress. On this leg Jeb's throttling down from the usual 50m/s to 40 and even as low as 30 later on, in an effort to eek out more range.

Fovbi6f.jpg

Bob final drags himself out of bed, heads to the galley and stuffs his face. Seems like he's back to his normal self now.

So Bob... how about a name for that mountain over there... the spiky one.

"Well, I suppose it's got to be Ouch My Toe mountain".

Fair enough Bob.

dmGuV2v.jpg

On the boat sped, although sped might be a bit of an overstatement, as Jeb's just ticking over the jets for a leisurely 35m/s. But with the fuel getting low he wants to get as far as he can on what's left.

ZTXGEVT.jpg

A little further and Jeb drops the speed once more... just 30m/s now.

I don't know how much of a benefit this is, probably I should do a leg at these lower speeds and do a proper measurement of the distance travelled.

9HsWC1z.jpg

There's the position of Fuel Depot 3. At closest approach it was only 18.3km away.

Bill asks if it's that close, why don'r they just head to it for a refuel.

I don't think Bill really understands how boats work.

DiD5Eg4.jpg

Leaving FD2 behind them, the sun reaches the horizon. At these speeds and the remaining fuel, there's going to be some night boating, if Jeb's going to get close to the range limit in one stint.

BFKJZyu.jpg

The crew look for a good spot to park the boat and wait for a tanker, but the terrain around here isn't the best for a landing.

Only 157 units of fuel left, so they're now getting pretty desparate to find a suitable site.

EcoEqcy.jpg

It's now pitch black and the headlands they pass slowly, almost imperceptibly, loom up out of the gloom, then pass behind them.

QKncTyI.jpg

Ok... we're under 100 units now and the rapidly tumbling decimal point numbers crank up the pressure to find a good landing site. They think they've spotted one round the next headland.

NPsOhe1.jpg

FInally Jeb brings the boat into the shore, with only 65 units of fuel left. It looks like this might be a decent spot for Tanford to land at tomorrow, but in this light it's not certain.

It's been a long leg and with the stress of finding a good spot to stop, in inhospitable terrain, in the dark, they all turn in early for a good night's kip.

IqAtesx.jpg

4 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

How fast do the Juice Geese fly at cruise? Can't be terribly aerodynamic with that Klaw in the front

Without afterburners, they do about 200m/s fully fueled. Not fast, but they get the job done. I could have gone for something faster, but I wanted to have as much fuel as possible at the end of their trips, to hand over to the boat.

jXOwhWy.jpg

Grrrrr... or, this stuff happens, but it's soooo annoying.

I just spent an hour typing a story to explain the appearance of the revised Coastal Cruiser, only to have the browser lose it all. Not going to retype it now... but it did feature enginneer ninjas, chloroform and Val's birthday.

On the plus side, this reworked version of the boat is far more fuel efficient. It looks like it has about double the range, with only 8% more fuel onboard.

So (drum roll)... here is the new boat... kinda like the old boat... kinda.

AdrecKh.jpg

Tanford heads out to supply fuel.

hM0FCqO.jpg

She lands with plenty to fill the boat and for her to head to Fuel depot 2, which is only about 60km away.

NZNAYDa.jpg

Slightly different view from the Goose.

XEwWzIP.jpg

The new design out at sea.

6dae3ds.jpg

A pretty different view from the rear, with the twin jets replace with just one up front.

PlzB7ms.jpg

A lot of travelling done and still almost half full of fuel.

Ti5efPt.jpg

Early start to the 2nd days sailing of this leg.

6VYxHL0.jpg

The first of three "almost lakes" that had to be explored along the way.

ueZuxOn.jpg

It might have just one engine now, but it still leaves an impressive trail.

wfILwa4.jpg

When asked, Bob suggested "The Sleepy Alligator" for this one.

1wR0R3H.jpg

Almost lake number 2.

56ySHFv.jpg

This is "The Slipper".

VXMJ2Ee.jpg

"Almost lake" number 3.

NVyYfev.jpg

It was a very long leg, but the fuel has to run out sometime, and that time's not far off, so Val brought the boat in.

XNItVLS.jpg

Almost dry of fuel, but it was a good run.

maH0oaS.jpg

I made the revisions to the boat, as yesterday I was running the original version at about 1/2 throttle for a large part of the leg to try and get a bit more range from the fuel. I almost went for a change to the Kitchen Sink version a few days ago, but although it had much greater range, it also used much more fuel.

This version looks like it has about twice the range, with only an extra 120 units of fuel used... just look at that red line on the map. That's progress.

Edited by purpleivan

9 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

I made the revisions to the boat, as yesterday I was running the original version at about 1/2 throttle for a large part of the leg to try and get a bit more range from the fuel. I almost went for a change to the Kitchen Sink version a few days ago, but although it had much greater range, it also used much more fuel.

This version looks like it has about twice the range, with only an extra 120 units of fuel used... just look at that red line on the map. That's progress.

We weren't switching boats, you said!

16 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

We weren't switching boats, you said!

I wasn't switching when I typed that, as I wasn't going to move over to the Kitchen Sink, as it was fun, but impractical.  However with so much more coastline to travel, a boat with almost double the fuel efficiency was hard not to think about.

Before I made the switch I was seriously thinking about putting the trip on hold soon, as it's taking up so much time. A boat with much better range is going to help keep me cracking on.

Sticking with the original design was beginning to feel like running a marathon with my feet tied together.

Edited by purpleivan

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

I just spent an hour typing a story to explain the appearance of the revised Coastal Cruiser, only to have the browser lose it all.

I always do long posts in a text editor (Notepad) and copy over for this reason.

I like the new boat! I've been tempted to offer to design you a new one, but I didn't want to take away from YOUR story. Are you getting about 250km of range out of this one?

33 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

I always do long posts in a text editor (Notepad) and copy over for this reason.

I like the new boat! I've been tempted to offer to design you a new one, but I didn't want to take away from YOUR story. Are you getting about 250km of range out of this one?

That's what I've done in the past for longer pieces, but the text for these leg post have been short enough to not bother with that. I just forgot to go back to a text editor (Editpad Light in my case) for this one.

The original version had a range of about 250km and the new one looks like it's close to double that. I might do a proper measurement in the next leg.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.