Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation

purpleivan

Fd2c1dT.jpg

Dead end... or, surely there's a way through there.

Not a hugely exciting leg 17, but it's the only leg 17, so it has that going for it. Actually this leg was one of minor frustration for the crew.

It started out well enough, with full tanks and calm water (well... what's new).

6DRTzBg.jpg

Mun was back in view.

wzYUF59.jpg

More of the shallow sandy shoreline was to be seen.

5ygp0RU.jpg

Bob sat as usual in the rover, but with Jeb for company, while Val drove the boat.

5MpS2cy.jpg

Bob and Jeb started naming things they passed to pass the time.

"So what shall we call those hills... the Three Sisters?"

"Nah... they'll get confused with the other Three Sisters"

"The Three Siblings?"

"Nah... not specific enough"

"The three hills with something like symmetry from this angle and distance?"

"Errr... guess that'll do".

A9m8PDk.jpg

More rocky coastline, but without the blurry mineral deposits seen yesterday.

fLzaP3k.jpg

"So Jeb."

"Yeah."

"When do you think we'll go to the Mun next."

"Well Bob, let's take a look at the map of our progress here... er... hmmm."

"What is it."

"You don't wanna know."

gy0YB3w.jpg

Something peaking over the coastline hills.

Mps6R2J.jpg

Bob's started jibbering.

"Sorry Bob... those are way too far for a joyride."

axvF9yd.jpg

Having taken a look at the map, it looks like the land to the right might be a big island, with a narrow passage to go through, making for a nice shortcut.

So let's take a closer look at that passage.

mkpDMeW.jpg

Hmmm.. less a passage and more a bar of sand that annoyingly makes that island coastline to be driven around.

3WU49Ux.jpg

Val passes through the entry to the bay, maybe she could just turn around now and call it a day.

Nah... that coastline dead ahead is definitely not visible, so we need to press on.

hWAuu5D.jpg

Ok... the end of the bay is in sight now, time to swing this boat around and head back out to sea.

NlCfXl8.jpg

Don't forget Val, turn right down there.

l63uCYw.jpg

With the newly named "Nope it ain't a passage... Bay" done with, they head South again.

"Hey Jeb, do you think we should moar up at that island and call in Andin to land his Goose there... you know, just for laughs.

"Maybe not... I mean I could stick that landing, but KSC might not be happy with us righting off a plane just for giggles."

WLR6f3m.jpg

As the sun closed in on the horizon, Val took a look at the map for a place to pull over for the night.

The terrain is pretty choppy around here, so she makes for the headland, as there's some flatter ground a little way around it.

ij40MJJ.jpg

The tip of the headland is just ahead, but it's getting pretty dark, better put on those lights.

Shame we didn't think to put any on the front of the boat.

MNOz9XN.jpg

FInally Val brings it in to a nice shallow beach, with what is hopefully reasonable landing terrain nearby.

ormE8fS.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

gQc92qJ.jpg

Fear and Boating... or, what on Kerbin is that.

This leg started out with Andin Kerman doing what he'd been itching to do all night... hit the afterburners and scorch up a hill.

0XFoIUE.jpg

Then it was a fairly short trip to take to the S.S.W to the boat.

qnqPfRR.jpg

Talking of the boat, that would be it dead ahead.

TZtWv7k.jpg

Well good morning to you all.

fK4175r.jpg

I think you can turn off those lights now.

JKF7Noh.jpg

Refuelled the Coastal Cruiser said so long to Andin in JG1 and headed out to sea once more.

4gPE5ZC.jpg

Sure looks like a lovely morning. Incredible how consistently good the weather has been so far, maybe it'll last all trip.

uMPWoJ8.jpg

Well... spoke too soon, beacause that sky does not look good.

fHIxz1S.jpg

Jeb had to agree that the sky ahead was about the nastiest looking he'd ever seen... and he's been to Eve.

KZjRDna.jpg

The Bob came and joined Jeb up front to take a look.

"You remember that time an aircraft carrier appeared out of nowhere... you remember, it was just of the coast of the old runway island".

"Uh huh."

"Well... I think the sky kinda looked like that."

mS1SOl2.jpg

To take their minds off the possibility that the Kraken was devouring the planet, Jeb pulled the boat into the cove which was blocked by the sand bar that prevented their shortcut the day before,

2uyyYNO.jpg

Looks a bit bigger when you get up close to it.

lWqf4gW.jpg

Bob took to the roof of the rover to get a better look at the strange phenomenon.

"Maybe it's an eclipse Jeb"

"You know those are a myth right... and I thought you were the scientist."

flTa7Um.jpg

Bob's curious to find out how much sand prevented their shortcut, so heads to the top of it to take a look.

XCLiv7f.jpg

10 metres high in the middle. Bob tried jumping up and down on it to see if he can reduced its height, but makes little impact.

66EcqC9.jpg

The scientific exporation complete, the crew head off out to sea once more.

JoxY8Zt.jpg

Things seem to be clearing up now, less impending doom to worry about.

zxyH5bg.jpg

Yep.. looks like a nice day for a cruise.

7Sp17mf.jpg

Back in the rover cabin once more, Bob returns to naming things.

"Three pond park"

"Tripple splash"

"The ponds formarly known as lakes"

FPRZ13x.jpg

The coasline has been fairly flat for a while, but it's starting to get more rugged now.

uHgXTQR.jpg

Bill's admiring the rockside from inside the cabin, but wonders if Jeb shouldn't be steering a bit further from them.

M9ssYWP.jpg

Jeb takes Bill concerns into account and moves a little further offshore.

u7QeuB0.jpg

Well, the tanks are running low, down to about 150 units at this point, so better put in and wait for a tanker.

tNkGCpV.jpg

Jeb pulls into some shallow water to park up.

KCgLEWP.jpg

That'll do it, now we just need Andin to come along so we can get moving again.

nv4iWIA.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

3bx4HGA.jpg

What are you doing here?.. or, some shortcuts are longer than others.

An evening landing for Andin Kerman, which the crew plans to use as much of before darkness falls.

TND42ZY.jpg

Enough fuel to fill the boat, and about 700 spare. That might be a bit tight for getting back to the Dessert Airfield.

41th2IS.jpg

Ouch... did I leave my sunglasses back at base.

jJK4Ae3.jpg

So long, safe trip back home.

TXhKBzF.jpg

With the sun not far off setting, the crew head out to get as far as the can while they have light.

fp0n1CJ.jpg

Bet Andin's glad he's not landing on those hills.

CRIicxy.jpg

Ok everyone... sun's about to set, so get looking for a place to put in.

xGmzghz.jpg

Just around that headland looks like a good spt.

kBXyyyZ.jpg

Still plenty fuel left for tomorrow.

8IRTtCG.jpg

With sunrise comes another day on the water.

VlK5Dz4.jpg

Right... that's half tanks now, maybe we can make it into another ocean.

nzn2pAI.jpg

The plan is to cut between the mainland at the bottom left and the large island in the top right, then out through that opening near the center top. That should save some mileage on the boat.

HGu6Dum.jpg

Jeb swing the boat to the East and started on the "shortcut".

SQLSZax.jpg

Hmmm... where's the mainland gone, remember we've got to keep in sight of it.

eaZZTi7.jpg

Jeb pushes on to the East looking for land ahead.

yFkfYgi.jpg

Eventually land appears, but just one problem... that lake is no lake.

It's part of the sea, so we've got to sail round the coat of it.

gGXXKwI.jpg

Jeb takes the boat in through the shallow... careful does it.

szwmj2u.jpg

Then he hits the gas into the sea that's almost completely surrounded by land.

P21J1TG.jpg

That sea being this one. The Coastal Cruiser came in through the very shallow entry on the right.

"So you want to name this sea Bob?"

"How about the Sea of damm it, you should have been a lake"

"Sounds good to me"

2nwlLVu.jpg

Once sight is made of the far end of the sea, Jeb swings the boat around and heads for the more northerly of the two entries to it.

With fuel running low, they decide to pull over around the next headland and wait for a tanker.

bcf8zON.jpg

At last they leave the Sea of DIYSHBAL.

M2ZxvQ6.jpg

Before pulling in to await some tasty jet fuel.

YmBFUEJ.jpg

Oooh... that was getting pretty low.

ODHqZaF.jpg

Back at their last refuel site, Andin prepared to take to the sky.

q7LuZpI.jpg

Hi Mun... now, which way to base.

x5Yg6Dq.jpg

Hmm... Andin only just makes it to the edge of the desert when his fuel drops below 100 units. No way he's going to make it back with that, so better look for a place to put down.

JVtLhqK.jpg

38 units left, this will have to do I guess. Shame I didn't have just a little bit more, the Dessert Airfield is only 72km away.

icKfvEJ.jpg

Okay... get that nose up.

fRwOsZb.jpg

Touchdown.

"Base... this is Goose 1, I'm gonna need a little help here with some fuel"

"Plus I think these cacti have me surrounded"

NSJ1wCS.jpg

1JGNDEW.jpg

Flightless Goose... or, For a Few Units More... or, the Good, the Bad and the Empty.

With Andin in JG1 stuck out in the desert, with just fumes to run the engines on, Gusman headed out in JG2.

5exmsym.jpg

Gusman entertained himself on the short trip by flying just a couple hundred metres above the desert.

iPGkGoY.jpg

He put down a fairly short distance for Andin... plenty fuel onboard for her plane and his.

dG4IL81.jpg

Fuel delivery, direct to the cockpit.

As he was going to have to takeoff from the bumpy desert, rather than a flat runway, Gusman transfered about 25% of the fuel onboard, instead of just enough for Andin to get home.

Rysom7d.jpg

Night fell, so travel onwards was left until the morning.

dMmmrPI.jpg

An early start for the two pilots, with Andin taking off for the airfield.

UOEY16k.jpg

She made a low "thanks for the juice" pass over Gusman, before heading to base.

g5RYfZb.jpg

Not exactly a perfect landing angle, but it'll do.

nwroEHk.jpg

Then it was Gusman's turn to take to the skies, with plenty of fuel to tank up the Coastal Cruiser and to get back to base with.

Hopefully...

Ge8mqc0.jpg

Hot desert

PZFs8Y7.jpg

Cool mountains

v4g1DHL.jpg

Green valleys

04Wzqs3.jpg

Before making it out over the plains... the endless, featurless....zzzzzzz.

Wake up Gusman, not to much further to go.

7lQ0T2Y.jpg

FInally, something to break up th view. Trees and lots of them.

Plus some terrain details that does make this look a bit like a golf course.

zalLFjy.jpg

The boat's not far now and looks like Gusman has plenty of fuel, but only enough for one refill this far out from base.

4UsBU1x.jpg

Gusman is pretty proud of his landing... real smooth, even if it's about 2.5km from the boat.

0j9NWdO.jpg

Bill goes out to chat with the pilot, to find out if he has a spare deck of cards.

Jeb had a few too many the night before and droped the last set they had over the side of the boat.

cSFYSdT.jpg

With full tanks again, the crew wave goodbye to Gusman and head out.

Flk34mg.jpg

Should be enough juice to get back to base with.

s1aLPa3.jpg

The Coastal Cruiser sped on towards new waters.

1oWuhI3.jpg

Just a couple more islands to pass before...

ri0Ay41.jpg

... breaking out into the the Great Sea of the North.

So named, as some southerners named one of theirs the Not Half Bad Sea of the South, and they didn't want to be outdone.

qJhXCHD.jpg

One issue with this part of the coastline is that there are quite a few large inlets that can't be seen into from the open sea, so the boat has to be driven far enough in to see the far end of them.

T6P7jPI.jpg

Val pulls into the first of these, motoring along for a couple minutes before hollering to Bob in the rover "can you see the far end of it".

Bob can't see much more than the spray of the boat, but replies "sure, sure... now GO".

bwKBDAl.jpg

Looks like we're coming up on another large inlet.

OOhqO09.jpg

Again Val ducks the boat some way inside before calling this one done and moving on.

nytKqTY.jpg

Shortly after the crew pull in at a small island for a save break.

dnoLWtM.jpg

That would be this island.

pVpIzd3.jpg

Another few 10's kilometres down the coast and it's another larger inlet, so Val once again heads away from the sea.

ZkwpV6i.jpg

Bill who's joined her in the cockpit asks "is that a pale Mun rising".

AfHWTfV.jpg

Val who can now see the end of the inlet replies "dunno, but this is a cruise boat turning" and swings it round to point back towards the open sea.

j7Zjr3Q.jpg

Back out at sea, Val throttles up a bit and speeds through the shallow waters.

0WAEdHg.jpg

Fuel's down to a little under 300 unit, enough for a bit more cruising, but there are plans for that fuel tomorrow, so the put into shore.

ZFF3ehF.jpg

Now they wait for more fuel.. but from where?

0kFXdtl.jpg

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Holy dedication, @purpleivan! This is gonna take a lot of legs!

Looking forward to more!

The thought had occured to me.

The arctic coast looks longer than it is on the map due to the projection form a sphere to rectangle, but it's still a long way. My guess is I'm at about 20-25% of the total journey.

When I started I planned to use the ISRU gear onboard to refuel, but it's so slow (weeks to refill) that I gave up on that as it felt almost like cheating. But then I needed another way of getting fuel to the boat, hence the Juice Goose, and they take time to fly around, extending the real time it takes to complete the trip.

Edited by purpleivan

MIRF and Merriment... or, "Death from Above"... er... I mean, "Fuel From Above".

In a secret program, known only to select staff at the KSC... and their families... freinds... plus the readers of the Daily Kerbin (including free Saturday edition) the Coastal Cruiser was going to get an exciting alternative source of fuel.

The military might have their MIRVs, but the KSC has MIRFs (Multiple Independent Re-entry Fuel stores).

A set of four of these MIRFs were launched towards a low orbit of Kerbin.

cMSOx3o.jpg

The second stage engine was assisted by those of the MIRFs, using fuel from the central tanks in the stack.

eevbmq8.jpg

Once in orbit (75km) the MIRF orbital platform waited... waited to rain terror... well, fuel supplies, on an unsuspecting world.

esS6D1z.jpg

The automated platform received the instruction to deploy one of the MIRFs.

S2rL68m.jpg

The Coastal Cruiser was a bit South of the equator, but the re-entry burn took care of that.

iHuWWL9.jpg

Early in the descent it looked like the vehicle might end up long of the landing site, so the bay doors were opened to help bleed off some speed.

kSywHri.jpg

Then as things started to heat up, the concern was that MIRF would land short of the target.

S3gvadj.jpg

Well... we're going to land short anyway, might as try out those airbrakes.

aj8T8nK.jpg

Chutes ahoy and a decent slug of fuel onboard for the boat.

JrnsABj.jpg

Splashdown.

4QkOYlc.jpg

Okay... 56km from the target is a bit more than planned, but the idea was always for the boat to come to the fuel. Time to rail the sails... well, solar array and wait for our first customer.

5gbgG9Q.jpg

The Coastal Cruiser has 226 unit of fuel onboard, but that might not be enough to make it the 56km to MIRF. Gusman's route back to the Dessert Airfield takes him over the the boat, so he'll drop in to give them what fuel he can spare.

The purple marker on the left is MIRF and the green on the right, the Coastal Cruiser.

ZrpZirw.jpg

Hi guys... I ain't got much fuel for you this time, but you can have what I can spare.

3mgaMj2.jpg

Hmmm... only just over 1000 units onboard, so can't spare much.

B3QzeVu.jpg

The crew says thanks for the top up and head out.

KnZVHaL.jpg

So an extra 218 units should be enough to make it to MIRF... they hope.

5eqHgJm.jpg

They speed out to sea, the coastline falling below the horizon behind them.

NKLWpdQ.jpg

Good thing they had the extra fuel from Gus, it would have been too close to call without it.

LxQNvRa.jpg

Finally the rendezvous with MIRF.

vJ4KqrO.jpg

"Hello little fella.. pleased to meet ya".

XdHEXWe.jpg

Contact, now for some tank filling.

kf0uexi.jpg

Bill looks for an eyepatch and hat in the trunk of stuff he brought with him, but looks like he left them at home.

Still, he climbs across to MIRF, then declares possession of the ship and all the booty it contains.

PyqNrg0.jpg

With refilled tanks, they speed towards the shore and away from the orbital fuel giver.

ZpFjGrl.jpg

Ok... who stole the land.

NorX0CX.jpg

With the sun setting behind them Val decides to moar at the first available spot.

bjqT2Er.jpg

A small island just off the coast.

2cTawYM.jpg

Well, as a plan MIRF worked out ok, but with the fuel used to get refilled, we're going to have to get more accurate landings if it's going to be worth using.

gBbQ6Fm.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

Cool idea, dude!

3 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Well, as a plan MIRF worked out ok, but with the fuel used to get refilled, we're going to have to get more accurate landings if it's going to be worth using.

Looks like this is a job for Trajectories!

Specifically the recent recompile (v2.2.2) by @PiezPiedPy, available on CKAN and links in this post.

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

Cool idea, dude!

Looks like this is a job for Trajectories!

Specifically the recent recompile (v2.2.2) by @PiezPiedPy, available on CKAN and links in this post.

Thanks... I've downloaded the mod and give it a go next time I'm dropping a MIRF.

I've always just eyeballed my landings, which makes life... interesting. But I think this mod might be the way to go.

l5j4TKp.jpg

Bob's Barbeque... or, the land that time forgot.

It gonna be big... REAL BIG.

Big Coast, Big Action, Big Story.

Well... at least one of those isn't a lie.

Leg 21 started out like any other. Tanks full (well nearly) of fuel and a crew of four eager to press on around the coast.

The Mun came up over the horizon.

CVAIpQh.jpg

The boat whisked over shallows.

ZskpV5V.jpg

They even had some time for Bob to name stuff.

"So Val... do I get to name those mountains"

"Sure... go nuts".

"The Kraken's horns, pretty cool huh?"

"But the Krakken doesn't have horns"

"Yeah... but if it did"

wNweTAF.jpg

Then something appeared on the horizon... Bob's rovering senses began to tingle.

This was big...

9MIjMyZ.jpg

REAL BIG.

K4rZeNa.jpg

Bob climbed on top of the rover to get the best view possible, what greeted his eyes had him dancing with joy.

Either that or he really needed the bathroom.

9CTMu9l.jpg

Jeb pulled the boat in to a 100m or so from the base of the huge mountain range and the whole crew went on deck to take a look.

yIgE1lp.jpg

After checking the map they realised that they had reached the famous Barbeque Bay. Named after the smell of kinosour flesh, speed roasted by the huge asteroid impact that wiped them out, that lingers in the area to this day.

ZvbIvB1.jpg

Bob was eager to attack those mountaintops, but even he didn't want to start out on slopes this steep.

7Ks8esq.jpg

As the boat carried on along the coast, an isolated mountain appeared in the distance.

CFno8lI.jpg

Bob thinks that this will make a fine start.

mC19F5y.jpg

Jeb agrees with Bob that starting from the shallow beach on the other side of this long spit of land will be the best bet.

wFW1iU4.jpg

"So... Kraken's toe?"

"But kraken's don't..."

"I know, I know".

81r0geq.jpg

Bob's mouth starts to drool thinking about climbing this beast.

yeq2BbC.jpg

Some pretty impressive slopes to climb, good thing Bob won't be going up that way.

kipqxfN.jpg

Jeb pushed the boat on towards the beach a few kilometres down the coast.

2HVlzUd.jpg

All of a sudden Jeb shuts of the engines and coasts to a halt.

In all the excitement no-one's been watching the fuel gauge and there's not much left in the tanks. No problem you say, just call the Goose.

Well Jeb doesn't want to risk a tanker getting wiped out, landing in this terrain.

kwMoYpT.jpg

So they call up their new friend.

w9alkcH.jpg

MIRF make a de-orbit burn, before falling away from the orbital platform.

0XpPo9M.jpg

The first attempt (aided by Trajectories... all your re-entry needs, in a can) was looking good, until MIRF got to about 30km and started to tumble, meaning that all bets were off for the final landing location.

So a 2nd attempt was made with the predicted landing site left long, to allow for the extra drag from the tumble, during decent.

zAlfRPx.jpg

Sure enough at about 30km, MIRF started to tumble, things got hot... but not too hot.

3l8pCLd.jpg

Ok, looks like we're going to land a little long, so time to hit the brakes.

fDWTCBP.jpg

This scenery looks familar, we can't be too far from the Coastal Cruiser.

lxsBhsS.jpg

Splashdown.

FzpfjLF.jpg

Wellcome, to Jurassik Park.

UU25nJp.jpg

So how far are we from the boat... 11.8km, way better than last time, and well within range of it (probably about 30km with the current fuel load).

YlGRvS8.jpg

With their new load of fuel waiting in the water, the Coastal Cruiser hauled stern towards the waiting MIRF

fYzX84F.jpg

After several unsuccessful attempts to clamp onto the nice round cargo bays (that worked fine in tests), MIRF finally takes a bite of the thin edge of a wing.

No accounting for taste I guess.

mZFnruQ.jpg

Then with full tanks and the sun about to set, the boat headed towards the shore.

XEaAKdQ.jpg

"Hmmm..." says Bob.

"Mount stupidly big statue broken off at the feet".

"Come on... be original" says Val.

Qh2OpHy.jpg

"Plus it's clearly Mount Gemstone".

b7zvA8T.jpg

Once they reach shore and make the boat ready for the overnight stay, Bob sits in the rover, barely able to sleep thinking about what tomorrow will bring.

86pDjCu.jpg

Climbing Barbeque Bay - Part 1

In the morning Bob with Bill along side him, left the beach to tackle the mountain in the distance.

BFpZsqM.jpg

They trundled up through the foothills.

IOq8e9m.jpg

Then more foothills.

mA2gLRe.jpg

and even more foothills... come on hurry up, where's the fun stuff.

EfzNM5U.jpg

At least the mountain in behind them was shrinking, at least they had that clue they were making progress.

8qBtZmy.jpg

Ok, that looks more impressive.

wxmSdaa.jpg

The pair make it up to 1000m. Not something to write home about, but there's plenty more climbing to go.

HuSPAJD.jpg

From here the going got a lot steeper and progress slowed, but it did provide a pretty good view.

GOWsb5P.jpg

Finally something vaguely flat and a chance to stop and recharge.

6wQ1UiI.jpg

Somewhere in the middle of that flatish area in the middle of the picture is the rover.

OH3nVNf.jpg

They made their way up to just short of the peak and yet again had to stop to charge the batteries (I wish I'd added a couple of 400unit batteries instead of the 100 ones).

nstr9sP.jpg

After a short dash towards the top, the pair finally made it and perched on the peak to help braking.

dncZqUp.jpg

2600m... not exactly a record, but not a bad climb.

8UlKgL3.jpg

Bob rolled down from the top to the edge of a small plateau just below it.

"Nice view from up here Bob, just don't let go of that brake handle..."

wfVZZ8E.jpg

"... it's a bit of a drop".

L9TetUn.jpg

With the mountain beaten, the pair headed down, taking a moment now and then to look at the scenery.

BlsTg0Y.jpg

"There's some bigger mountains along the crateer edge... should be good for a record" remarks Bob.

wNTPvp5.jpg

"and the best way to get at them is from this end".

"Ok Bob... what are waiting for, the quicker we get down, the quicker we get back up again".

GPkPqVU.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

Climbing Barbeque Bay - Part 2

With the mountain at the tip of the crate rim ticked off, it was time for Bob and Bill to follow the rim to bigger, better mountains.

They left they vanquished foe behind them and headed along for the ridge along the rim.

Ri8ChPv.jpg

It's a pretty sharp ridge but at first doesn't look too steep, but as they climb it it's clear that they won't be able to make it to the top this way.

9i2G1Hk.jpg

So they go over to the South side to drive past the peak, the idea being to attack it from the further along the rim.

geNJoaM.jpg

Up over 1000m and the nearby peak beckons, but it's still too steep to climb it, so they had past once more.

SpCfJVc.jpg

Reasonably gentle slope on the South side makes for easy driving.

RUAaxNs.jpg

Having rounded the first peak on their travels along the rim, the come across this staircase of rock ahead of them.

fy0GNhX.jpg

The rover with our two brave heroes is in the middle of there... somewhere.

qs88Bek.jpg

The larger peaks that are further along the rim start to come into view.

iV5MiVl.jpg

2150m and still not climbed a peak yet. Surely today will see the trip's altitude record broken.

Niew3Eg.jpg

Decisions, decisions... which peak will Bob head for. He'd like to take a crack at the one on the South side (right of image), so he heads towards it to take a closer look.

CAkAn7w.jpg

2363m and were driving in a valley... kinda weird.

QI1RMRg.jpg

After taking a closer look of the South side peak, Bob can see that althought the lower slopes look easy enough, the peaks themselves are clearly impossible for this rover.

So his focus switches to that on the North side.

NBkgQLV.jpg

Yep... trying to get to the top of the highest peak there would have be a case of scratch one rover (plus Bob and Jeb), so the pair are ok with their decision to bail on climbing it.

5F2NeV1.jpg

Right... into the lower slopes of the North side peak, quite pleasant terrain for the pair to be driving through. Bob says that he'd like to have a cabin up here.

AmRqf1g.jpg

They reach a small plateau at the base of the peak.

VE4h5es.jpg

Parked on the plateau they find it's atover 2600m, but how high is the peak they are about to attempt to reach.

C1A9eLt.jpg

Bob swings the rover around as he thinks he might be able to make the short, but every steep, dash up the South side of the peak.

No such luck though... the rover quickly falls to 5m/s and it's clear that the batteries won't make it to the top, and it's too steep to park on and recharge.

NQhhnwf.jpg

So Bob swings the rover round to the East and heads along the base of the peak to try and find a better route to the top.

cG5HXuT.jpg

The pair stop for a moment to take in the view, as well as take a look at other mountains they might want to climb.

They rule out the very tall steep peak on the right, that Bob names Wicked Witch Mountain.

76Vn2bL.jpg

Skirting around the base of the peak, they find a ravine, but a steep one, at the eastern end of the peak, that might give them access to the top.

9ytHiIR.jpg

Bob noses the rover from the plateau into the ravine.

nKANMgr.jpg

Then he guns it for the top.

The going is steep, but not as steep as the assault on the South side was.

wRyOzUF.jpg

Finally the batteries give out and they have to stop to recharge. Fortunately the slope is just shallow enough to stop and charge the batteries without slipping too far down the slope.

yDLLWPH.jpg

FInally they make it... well, kind of.

It's a new record altitude of 2933m, but the true peak, slightly higher than this bump, is ahead of them.

4VQHGrP.jpg

The batteries won't make it the the peak itself, so they stop on the closest to flat ground they can find.

pS0z4Ay.jpg

They make it up to he narrow ridge that the peak is on. The drop on either side is about 70 degrees, so Bob has to be extra carefull here.

One slip and the rover is going to be scattered in bits over the mountainside.

Zfvd0LT.jpg

They assault the ridge, but it's just too steep on either side to stop at the peak and they don't fancy charging at it just to get an extra couple of metres higher.

WrW6LYi.jpg

Still, it's another record at 3028m.

3km up in this little rover and Bob thinks there are even higher peaks for it in the future.

a4lXFxq.jpg

Like the one dead ahead.

PUDjzbD.jpg

With the sun heading for the ocean, behind them to the West, Bob and Jeb trundle on through the high level valley, towards their next target. But with night falling, they stop the rover and break out the pre-dinner snacks.

They're looking forward to tomorrow, which could bring their highest mountain climb yet.

QRwBNmZ.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

Climbing Barbeque Bay - Day 3

Bob and Bill had a lie in after the effort of the previous two days, so didn't get on the move until mid morning.

The first 20 minutes was moving along the valley and over some ridges, that separated them form there target mountain.

CVCVu88.jpg

Bob got out on top of the rover for a clearer look... is it too much, I mean, it is a bit steep.

L8vpTS6.jpg

2700m and the pair haven't even made it it to the base of the thing yet. Surely yesterday's record climb will be broken.

1zzziBo.jpg

With the foothills (the ones that are 2.7km above sea level) out of the way, the going got tougher, with some steep slopes to climb. fortunately they encounter shallower gradients from time to time, allowing the rover to be recharged.

8KROYmE.jpg

Nowhere near the peak and the record is already beaten. The rover is on the flatish area in the bottom right, and the plan is to scramble up to the ridge in the upper left, then follow the ridge up to the peak.

3TtI3TR.jpg

The going was steep, but fortunately it was short too.

Once up on the ridge, the pair drove to the end of it to take a look at the view.

It's a long way from the mountain they were at the top of a couple of days ago.

e8jV1cg.jpg

With admiring the view out of the way, Bob swings the rover around and points it towards the peak again. it looks pretty steep up ahead, but at least it looks like there are spots to stop and recharge.

Q2NtuGZ.jpg

They reach a small almost flat section and park up in the shade of a very short tree. Fortunately it doesn't block the solar panels.

HxAQV0d.jpg

As they head towards the peak, they break through 4km for the first time.

ZXIE4pg.jpg

Ok... the easy stuff is over, from now on things are going to get a lot harder for the pair and their trusty rover.

KU1WXKL.jpg

Bob's getting worried now.

The rover isn't going to make it up that last slope on the left side of the picture from where they are (the shallower slope just left of the middle of the picture). He needs another route if they're going to make it to the top.

tnHxZgZ.jpg

"So Bob, this plan of yours".

"Yup".

"This plan is to drive across that really steep slope ahead"

"That is the plan"

"The slope that looks like it's about 30 degrees from vertical... and looks like death in rock form"

"Uh huh"

"The slope that crashes down almost vertically for about a kilometre"

"Indeed"

"When we're done with this trip I think you need a new psych eval".

zMLh7wg.jpg

Bob then explained to Bill the reason is that they're almost to the top on the left side of the peak in the middle of this picture.

The only alternative to the dash across the slope of doom, is driving all the way back down to foothills on the bottom on the left, then all the through the foothills to the right end of the mountain. After that drive round the back a bit, then all the way up the right side.

"Ok Bob, just checking... I've got insurance, so let's get going".

hDNPnBF.jpg

Bob floors it across the steep slope. The rover keeps trying to turn into the slope, and point uphill, but each time Bob swings it around a little downhill, to keep them moving sideways across it.

About halfway to the far side the going thankfully gets a little less steep... about 45 degrees, and they finally make it to safety with about 1/3 charge left in the batteries.

m6KkoSx.jpg

The slope in the middle of the picture is what they had to scramble sideways across, in order to reach the safety of the plateau on the left.

Mq7I32J.jpg

Bob and Bill stare up towards the peak. The going looks the easiest they've seen in a while.

The rover pushes on up without having to stop to recharge, before breaking out near the summit.

i00wP6s.jpg

The top is almost flat and Bob guides the rover over to the highest point.

4768m... it's so high up that the pair are actually in the base of the clouds.

S2bIOSR.jpg

The pair look pretty satisfied.

LRl3Dym.jpg

Why not... there's a great view from up here.

Just don't look down.

cqImlIY.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

Descending Barbeque Bay

Coming down from the top of of hmmm.. what does Bob want to call it.

"Bob's Triumph?"

"Too you."

"B's Triumph?"

"Nice try."

"Ok, how about just Mount Triumph."

"That'll do."

OK, where were er, ah yes... coming down Mount Triumph, Bob and Bill tried many way to get down in reasonable time.

Sliding backwards.

1ql93Ds.jpg

Sliding forwards.

kfRbuRN.jpg

"How about down there for a shortcut."

"Good idea Bob, but I'd like to get down with my insides still, you know, inside"

VK4I3uq.jpg

FInally after much sliding, slow driving and generally crawling around, the pair made it to the bottom... of the mountain that is.

Fzdrhpr.jpg

Trouble is...

ARzJUXu.jpg

They're still 3km about the sea.

bkNh6wW.jpg

They could drive a looooong way that way, to get the end of this section of the mountain chain, but the going looks vey rough and slow.

XWJNTYu.jpg

Heading back to the nice gentle slope on the right might be an option, but...

xs9lwJP.jpg

... the sun will be setting soon, so there isn't time to get there and still have power.

So the only choice is going down where there are, which is here.

yAXJKpx.jpg

Bob pokes the rover out over the edge and hits the brakes to stop them hurling down the slope.

DdcGqCA.jpg

After a minute or so they reach some shallower slope and they stop to top up the batteries.

ErBVItW.jpg

But that's the last of it for a while.. they're now in the shadow of rim wall.

wiuLjAu.jpg

From now on it's just steering and brakes.

But hey... at least it's all downhill.

RlPSdUP.jpg

The slope in places is is over 70 degrees and the rover starts to spin, pirouetting around a dozen or more times, until Bob graples it into pointing one way, albeit backwards, down the slope.

oCvPA6r.jpg

After what feels like an age, they still have over 2km to down until they get to the sea.

But Bob seems sastisfied with progress so far.

d0Vu9ut.jpg

After another long slide on the brakes, the slope gradually eases, and Bob gently swings the rover round to point downhill. He's even confident enough to star letting the brakes off now and then to get them down quicker.

pAMxWEj.jpg

But they're still over 1800m up... when will this end.

Bob's mood has changed from satisfied to positively happy about they're trip down the rim wall.

jSsnECp.jpg

FInally they're back into sunlight, but that isn't going to last long.

From the cabin the slope seems impossibly steep... how is this rover holding on? But at least they can see the end of the steep slope isn't far ahead.

psGo0QO.jpg

Finally the slope that felt almost vertical in places softens into something manageable. With a nice little bay on the coast visible ahead, Bob aims for it and picks up some speed.

liETEjt.jpg

Having moved away from the wall that is the rim of the crater, the sun once again starts to feed the batteries.

o9wmNjg.jpg

But not for long, as they're soon in that special "you're visually lit, but your solar panels are blocked" state.

QlbrDnw.jpg

At last they roll onto the beach, the 3km high wall they just decended behind them.

With batteries empty there's no juice to run the lights on the rover, so Bill whips out some matches, firewood and food he has in his pockets (he had his expanded for the trip) for a barbeque on the beach.

qEwQff7.jpg

Leg 22a

The following morning, back at the boat, the crew prepared for the almost 30km trip down the coast to retrieve Bob, Bill and the rover.

A short hop by their standards.

5k8dHqM.jpg

They dash along the coast, admiring the scenery on the inside of the bay.

exiuiWa.jpg

They reached the cove that the rover descended to the previous evening.

M8l0xIX.jpg

With it and the two crew back onboard, they head back out to sea.

MJF4ME1.jpg

Then that dash along the coast once again.

421hR17.jpg

There's some great scenery around here and the crew are really enjoying this part of their trip.

fyuU0ZC.jpg

Bill and Bob look at the altimeter... it's wierd for them to see it at 0.

The boat has well over half a tank of fuel left, so they speed onward along the coast.

s5k0pQA.jpg

The chain of mountains seems to go on forever, and there's something in it that grabs Bob's interst.

0EstIZG.jpg

That big bulge in the cliff wall must be higher than his last conquest, so he's joined by Val in the rover, ready for another wheels based adventure.

ndLzrZo.jpg

Coming in the next post... Bob and Val on record breaking form.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.