If I ever make it back from Eve

Reinhart Mk.1

2 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

If you look upthread at the coordinates shown in the HyperEdit window on any of my recent flight posts, those are for a nice, flat spot at 4000 m, that is right next to the tallest peak. If you poke around a bit from there, I'm pretty sure you can find it fairly quickly. 

Thank you! I got the coordinates, now I have to learn how to better navigate ;.;. At least every mission is a lesson

20 minutes ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

Thank you! I got the coordinates, now I have to learn how to better navigate ;.;. At least every mission is a lesson

Just install HyperEdit, plug those coordinates into the "planet lander" window, and hit "land" while on the Kerbin launch pad. If you raise the altitude so you have more time, you can go to the orbit view, change the coordinates, and see where you land on the map. This approach bugs out after a few iterations, but eventually you can zero in on the spot you want.

IKR, but i think...how's the final mission ???

I mean...it's not as satisfying as when you used no Hyperedit, i wasn't satisfied even after a Hyperedited lander beaten Eve in Direct Ascent back then, it failed miserably in the actual mission.

And better grab Trajectories Mod, you'll probably need many aerobrake attempts, so try keeping SAS and don't move or you may alter your Trajectory, or make something that should get you away from 2000 Kilometers or so...

I might give you an example of how Eve Landers may look like after finishing my Evepollo (I'm currently 6/9 of Finishing @5thHorseman's Kerpollo Challenge, maybe you can try it later...)

Edited by GRS

6 hours ago, GRS said:

IKR, but i think...how's the final mission ???

I mean...it's not as satisfying as when you used no Hyperedit, i wasn't satisfied even after a Hyperedited lander beaten Eve in Direct Ascent back then, it failed miserably in the actual mission.

What you may or may not find satisfying has no bearing on what OP may or may not find satisfying. For my part, If I ever SSTO anything off the surface of Eve successfully, I won't care a fig in my elation if I used Hyperedit to put it there in the first place. I don't need to prove to anybody, least of all myself, that I can find a way to get it there from the KSC in-game. YMMV!

46 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

What you may or may not find satisfying has no bearing on what OP may or may not find satisfying.

tbh i am aiming for an official career mission that will take me to and from eve with as little mods as possible, i'm a glutton for punishment lol

So here's a video of the launch and what my design looked like in the end, i think the fins and extra two vectors on the core stage really helped and i added a bit more fuel for the upper stages (i forgot i had music in the background but it's calm music at at least lol)

Nice job. Well done!

I can see so many ways that could be optimised but the important thing is you made it. 

If you are interested in an optimised version then post the craft file and I'd be happy to make a few tweak. 

6 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Nice job. Well done!

I can see so many ways that could be optimised but the important thing is you made it. 

If you are interested in an optimised version then post the craft file and I'd be happy to make a few tweak. 

Thank you! I was close to giving up lol. And yeah! I might use it in the future, plus I think it's a good newbie lander for Eve so any tweaks are welcomed :)

Tell me if this link works https://jumpshare.com/v/EDmOFfs1HeZtcga7WvSB

1 hour ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

Ladies and Gentleman, we made it.

Congratulations! Also, I think I can say with complete confidence that with that ship you could not only make orbit, but get your command pod all the way back to Kerbin. All you have to do is start turning sideways at a lower altitude.

8 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

Congratulations! Also, I think I can say with complete confidence that with that ship you could not only make orbit, but get your command pod all the way back to Kerbin. All you have to do is start turning sideways at a lower altitude.

Completely agree! This was the very first launch and I honestly wasn't expecting it to get to orbit so easily (mainly because all the others never really made it far)

Rescue missions are fun to me though, plus an extra mile stone! :D

23 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Just the orbit-capable lander.

Okay here's just the lander (i left the fairing on to be exact?). There also might be one more more engineer chip but in all honesty i think it's at the bottom stage so i think this ones good

https://jumpshare.com/v/1ArvT5YnLTYrlol69P9E

Just now, GRS said:

i mean...look at that final orbit

tbh i could've EASILY stopped burning and just warped to the AP and had a cleaner orbit but i was DUMBFOUNDED that it was working, idk if you can tell by the way the mouse hesitates near the end but i was really in shock lol. But yeah this lander definitely is kerbal certified, overkill and easy :cool:

2 minutes ago, GRS said:

I know you can, and you pulled it out, with something overpowered (i mean...look at that final orbit), so what's next...? (@herbal space program, what's "YMMV" ??? Never heard of it)

"Your Mileage May Vary", as in "This is a purely subjective judgement, so nobody's opinion is any better than anybody else's".

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

Just checking...Is this just supposed to make Eve orbit or do you want to be able to fly back to Kerbin as well?

I'd say for someone inexperienced it should really only be used to orbit eve, but like Herbal said (i still dont know how to directly tag people) if flown right i think it could make it back to kerbin, it has the chutes at the command pod just in-case

1 minute ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

I'd say for someone inexperienced it should really only be used to orbit eve, but like Herbal said (i still dont know how to directly tag people) if flown right i think it could make it back to kerbin, it has the chutes at the command pod just in-case

In that case I don't think it needs the bottom half at all. If you:

1. Get rid of the heatshield and decoupler and the capsule's mono prop

2. Get rid of the ladders and have a lander can at the bottom of the craft to transfer crew from the top capsule in/out that you dump before liftoff

3. Get rid of everything below the upper Vector

4. Swap out the Decouplers for Small Hardpoints

...and you'll then have a craft quite capable of making Eve orbit...

LHbPnib.png

In that case I don't think it needs the bottom half at all. If you:

1. Get rid of the heatshield and decoupler and the capsule's mono prop

2. Get rid of the ladders and have a lander can at the bottom of the craft to transfer crew from the top capsule in/out that you dump before liftoff

3. Get rid of everything below the upper Vector

4. Swap out the Decouplers for Small Hardpoints

...and you'll then have a craft quite capable of making Eve orbit... 

you're way better at this than me hahaha

Get rid of the heatshield and decoupler and the capsule's mono prop

oops... there's a mono prop tank in there? :blush:

1 minute ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

oops... there's a mono prop tank in there? :blush:

Yup, mk1 capsules have 10 units of monoprob that you can get rid of with the slider. 

Also, it's worth knowing that if you do use a heatshield then almost always you'll never need more than 20% ablator no matter what speed you hit Kerbin at. Can save a chunk of dV from not carting around of ablator you'll never use.    

Just now, Foxster said:

Yup, mk1 capsules have 10 units of monoprob that you can get rid of with the slider. 

Also, it's worth knowing that if you do use a heatshield then almost always you'll never need more than 20% ablator no matter what speed you hit Kerbin at. Can save a chunk of dV from not carting around of ablator you'll never use.     

wow I really never thought of that...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.