If I ever make it back from Eve

Reinhart Mk.1

If you do want to stick with that big lower section then a couple of things to consider to reduce the drag losses A LOT...

Use hardpoints rather decouplers. MUCH less massive and draggy than the big decouplers you used. 

Taper your stacks and make sure all parts, particularly engines in this case, match the size of what they are attached to.

KsUbY1O.png

And where you have those three Vectors slapped onto the bottom of the centre stack...use an Engine Plate on the bottom of the tank, set Cluster Nodes for it to Triple and put the Vectors on its nodes...

MIGa5wF.png

Of course, if you are sticking with that big lower stage then your upper stage is not great engine-wise. The lower bit will get you to 30km and you then want space engines (high vac isp) in the upper section. If you are going back to Kerbin then nukes might be a good idea. 

Edited by Foxster

46 minutes ago, Foxster said:

If you are going back to Kerbin then nukes might be a good idea. 

Or Terriers, whatever...just try packaging a powerful tiny orbiter, if you got at least over 1500 m/s delta v, you should be able to go home, take 1800 m/s spare delta v to orbit if you want to be safe @Reinhart Mk.1, and to tag someone, add a "@" that is separated with other words, then start inserting names, a list of users will appear, click the user you want to tag, try tagging me or anyone else.

11 minutes ago, GRS said:

Or Terriers, whatever...just try packaging a powerful tiny orbiter, if you got at least over 1500 m/s delta v, you should be able to go home, take 1800 m/s spare delta v to orbit if you want to be safe @Reinhart Mk.1, and to tag someone, add a "@" that is separated with other words, then start inserting names, a list of users will appear, click the user you want to tag, try tagging me or anyone else.

@GRS ah okay, using then deleting the comma then searching the name worked...? either way i got it, thank you!

5 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

The stylish SSTO (technically i dont think i can call it that since i have to refuel it but SHHHHH) that's gonna be rescuing Jeb

Refueling keeps your craft as big as they really have to be. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Reminds me of a couple of dialog lines in "2010: The year we make contact":

-What happened to the American bravery?

-What happened to the Russian common sense?

Edited by Atkara

4 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

The rescue pod that IN THEORY... should be able to pick up Jeb from his Eve orbit and take him to the rescue ship so he can finally see something other than PURPLE :)

XAnPyNa.png

So he’s going to be sitting on a command seat all the way back from Eve.... :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

The rescue pod that IN THEORY... should be able to pick up Jeb from his Eve orbit and take him to the rescue ship so he can finally see something other than PURPLE :)

XAnPyNa.png

That is a strange craft.  What is it's full mission?

No offense but it looks really heavy to me.

17 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

What happened to your snazzy space plane? That thing looks like a pile of spare parts that came to life on its own and escaped from from the VAB.;)

2 hours ago, herbal space program said:

What happened to your snazzy space plane? That thing looks like a pile of spare parts that came to life on its own and escaped from from the VAB

This is to save fuel, it's a tiny craft that's gonna be picking Jeb up then taking him to said snazzy spaceplane that's in HEO :)

@Reinhart Mk.1, this thread surely boosts your Rep count, and your Skill level...

Can anyone give me the appropriate Eve lander with following tech ??? (Lack part clipping and requires no MJ, maybe below 40 Tons or so)

TYg9FqN.png

You mean a man-in-a-can to orbit?

If so then I can put this 47t craft into orbit from Eve seal level with about 1000dV to spare...

raeFTXn.png

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1u2bgz0gb76gr3/GRS 2.craft?dl=0

If it's a bit heavy and you can fly well then you can lose an upper stage. 

Edited by Foxster

So it's been taking too long and i might as well spoil it. I love rockets in this game but I come from a flight sim background so i love planes just a little more, that being said i also love star wars and the jedi starfighter in-particular, this is my best recreation to it (the external propulsion system or however it's called being pretty vital, powered by ion engines) and the craft that again IN THEORY should at least put in the most work in rescuing Jeb (the gravity really is no joke even when you're just trying to to get to a stable orbit. I sincerely hope you guys are enjoying my journey lol

TmIrSRO.jpg

oh also to make this thing able to fit i added some liquid fuel tanks, in the end not only did it make it more stable in "flight" (dunno if you can use that word in space) but it adds so much more range. When everything is fully fueled it really gives this thing L E G S

This thread inspired me to revisit Eve; I always wanted to do a direct return to Kerbin from the surface with a 3crew capsule, without nukes.

Still just in the testing phase. Just video of my first try.... very inefficient. But remaining Δv shows this is possible.

I wont even need this much craft in the final mission, as I improve ascent profile.

My previous attempts at Eve were back in the 1.0.5 days... Aero is very different now.

14 hours ago, Ratwerke_Actual said:

I wont even need this much craft in the final mission, as I improve ascent profile.

Talking about which, I've come to believe that Eve is all about the heat.

The speed limit, where vessels burn up during ascent, is approximately 1200m/s@20km - 1400m/s@40 km. I've found that different nose cones vs. fairings vs. whatever do little to increase that limit: they do have an effect, but it's by no means overwhelming. Above 40km, heat quickly ceases to be a concern, you can go 2500m/s@50km with any nose cone.

Later there is a second speed limit:  you should be above 65-70km before reaching orbital speeds (that is, PE >0). That one seems to be wholly unaffected by craft design.

Which, for me, typically means that by 40km I'm still pointed some 20degrees above the horizon, have an apoapsis well over 50km, and slightly under one minute to apoapsis. There's different ways to get there, but that's a point all of my vessels have to come across. Proceeding from there always looks the same, so my vessel only differ in how they get there.

Edited by Laie

9 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

to everyone that has been following this thread, we're on a direct and HEALTHY orbital path to Jeb and things are looking good. Thank you all for the encouragement and emotional support <3. Jeb WILL reach the surface of Kerbin even if it bankrupts me.

I follow this thread because 2yrs ago, I stranded Val on Eve in a moment of personal hubris. I had visited every body in science mode, and just needed a surface sample from Eve. The vessel I sent first was woefully inadequate...the first three stages wouldn't even hover.

I playing without mods, didn't even know Δv. Just sent rescue after rescue, including rovers to retrieve Val from the landing craft. It took about a dozen tries and countless millions in funds, and almost two months of my playtime to get her back to Kerbin.

The aero is more easily dealt with now, but the struggle is real, and I wish you success!

57 minutes ago, Ratwerke_Actual said:

I playing without mods, didn't even know Δv. Just sent rescue after rescue, including rovers to retrieve Val from the landing craft. It took about a dozen tries and countless millions in funds, and almost two months of my playtime to get her back to Kerbin.

The aero is more easily dealt with now, but the struggle is real, and I wish you success!

this is exactly how my experience was except i had WAYYYYYY over a dozen designs because (also personal hubris) i didn't take Eve serious enough, i really had to troubleshoot and chisel away anything that was hindering it and there were so many things i wouldn't have even considered without the community tbh :)

I finally did it. Thank you to everyone who helped me out and was patient with me I really don't think I could've done it without the advice, I honestly had so much footage but it was so much to piece together. I probably went overboard again with the ion engines and kinda wasted a lot of time on that but I figured a nice landing from within the atmosphere was enough, I made sure it was a smooth landing. WE MADE IT:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.