If I ever make it back from Eve

Reinhart Mk.1

2 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

I finally did it. Thank you to everyone who helped me out and was patient with me I really don't think I could've done it without the advice, I honestly had so much footage but it was so much to piece together. I probably went overboard again with the ion engines and kinda wasted a lot of time on that but I figured a nice landing from within the atmosphere was enough, I made sure it was a smooth landing. WE MADE IT:)

Congrats. Poor Jeb is probably going to be traumatized by the color purple for the rest of his life after that ordeal.

14 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

WE MADE IT

Good job. If this was on career though -and I believe it is:

*checks mission control... Eve exploration milestone still not met.*

It was at this moment Reinhart knew: he had to go grab the pod he got Jeb from, and land it on Kerbin. Safely :P 

Been there myself. And given that I focus on re-usability, bringing back perfectly good landers from all over the solar system to do just that... silly -I know- but if you're on career and want that milestone out of the way through legit means, you have to go get that pod.

Edited by Atkara

6 hours ago, Atkara said:

Good job. If this was on career though -and I believe it is:

*checks mission control... Eve exploration milestone still not met.*

It was at this moment Reinhart knew: he had to go grab the pod he got Jeb from, and land it on Kerbin. Safely :P 

Been there myself. And given that I focus on re-usability, bringing back perfectly good landers from all over the solar system to do just that... silly -I know- but if you're on career and want that milestone out of the way through legit means, you have to go get that pod.

All I know is... I touched the surface of Eve and I'm now touching the surface of Kerbin so I'm happy. All I was there to do was plant a flag, get some science and bolt so I'm happy :p

39 minutes ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

All I know is... I touched the surface of Eve and I'm now touching the surface of Kerbin so I'm happy. All I was there to do was plant a flag, get some science and bolt so I'm happy :p

Next contract coming up: Return a vessel from the surface of Eve :P 

Don't get me wrong, I've had mining contracts (mine and haul x units of ore from Eve and put them in orbit around Gilly, that kind of thing) that I simply ignored. The money wasn't worth the effort. On-surface contracts though, absolutely -I had infrastructure down there anyway :) 

Edited by Atkara

16 minutes ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

@Atkara's comment REALLY irked me so sometime in the near future ill record a FULL Eve mission, until then im back to having fun with space planes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (they dont make that noise in space but u get me)

Just remember Apollo didn't get that achievement from the Moon landings.

1 hour ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

@Atkara's comment REALLY irked me so sometime in the near future ill record a FULL Eve mission, until then im back to having fun with space planes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (they don't make that noise in space but u get me)

Don't mistake my humor for me, issuing a "challenge". I only told you what's going on. Believe me, I faced that situation time and time again. And I was lucky enough to have designed landers with detachable side-thrusters, which meant I could put the core of a lander in the mk3 cargohold of a spaceplane and land it down to KSC. Like this:

Spoiler

pwKZgqq.jpg

WWVxB0h.jpg

oFlJq7R.jpg

I don't remember where this lander arrived from, as I was sending exploration expeditions pretty much everywhere. If it wasn't for the "return a craft from the surface of the 'x' body" requirement, this lander and others would still be in service. It's also the reason why I chose to bring back the orbital stage of the Eve extraction vehicle I posted earlier in the thread.

1 minute ago, Atkara said:

Don't mistake my humor for me, issuing a "challenge"

oh man i hope i dont sound as grumpy as i think i do :(

i just meant that tbh i was thinking to myself "yeah you walked on the surface of eve and got back but the lander didn't make it back" im really hard on myself sometimes lol

2 minutes ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

I just meant that tbh I was thinking to myself "yeah you walked on the surface of eve and got back but the lander didn't make it back". I'm really hard on myself sometimes lol

If it's still in orbit, it's not going anywhere. Send a drone with a claw on the next transfer window and bring it back. Or anytime, as milestone missions don't expire.

1 hour ago, Atkara said:

If it's still in orbit, it's not going anywhere. Send a drone with a claw on the next transfer window and bring it back. Or anytime, as milestone missions don't expire.

nah i just cleaned all the clutter from orbit, tbh like 90% of the battle was building a sound design so when i have the funds to launch it then blast off

9 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

tbh like 90% of the battle was building a sound design so when i have the funds to launch it then blast off

Reminds me when I did mine. Couldn't justify having an atmosphere and not really using it, having Kerbonauts climb down a 50-60m+ long ladder under 1.7g, or the clutter previous "lander"-style designs left at launch. Just getting it done wasn't enough -it had to be done my way.

Yeah. You start getting such weird thoughts, as you play more :P 

Edited by Atkara

On 3/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, purpleivan said:

You mean like this junkyard I left on Eve at liftoff.

2EHG94G.jpg

Trashing the system one planet at a time... it's the kerbal way.

No, not that much...(only left a bunch of Structural Pylons from Eve Centurion), @FreshHotEngines, you mean your Eve Entry ???

Edited by GRS

Yes, I mean Eve entry. It was the most difficult part, especially having to revert the entire mission. One time, I managed to land on eve... Except just the capsule. No engines. So now I'm in the dilemma of designing a rescue craft. Oh, and this was on the liquid part of eve. Can I get some help?

2 hours ago, FreshHotEngines said:

Oh, and this was on the liquid part of eve. Can I get some help?

Trajectories mod sounds good, used in my 1.5 for a 1.4.5 compatible version (maybe just 1.4.3) and works fine, you need to put Top Shield to stay upright, if your Lander is wide in the bottom, it has a probably high Chance of Tumbling, if the Lower Shield's area is Larger than The Top Shield, one Shield can cover an MH Size 4 part with only it's radius, or some Decouplers and some S1.5 boosters mounted in a S2 core stage, i'm in School now so that i can't post my 2 Kerbal Purrpollo Lander...

Edited by GRS

On 3/19/2019 at 6:41 PM, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

oh man i hope i dont sound as grumpy as i think i do :(

i just meant that tbh i was thinking to myself "yeah you walked on the surface of eve and got back but the lander didn't make it back" im really hard on myself sometimes lol

Speaking of vessels making it back from surface, I am still testing the vehicle shown below. 30t Mk1-3 capsule and service module/hab unit, all launched from the surface with the intent to return to Kerbin without refueling or nukes.

VLXzC9t.png

As of this evening, The ascent cost about 300m/s Δv too much from the hab module, so still just shy of Kerbin return.

14 hours ago, Ratwerke_Actual said:

Speaking of vessels making it back from surface, I am still testing the vehicle shown below. 30t Mk1-3 capsule and service module/hab unit, all launched from the surface with the intent to return to Kerbin without refueling or nukes.

As of this evening, The ascent cost about 300m/s Δv too much from the hab module, so still just shy of Kerbin return.

khksi7t6zhp21.png

The launcher.

2 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

this is such a good design, the landing structure is my personal favorite part

Well thanks, just trying to get something to stick to the surface... Apparently even steel girders wont stay put.

Notice how it is so determined to slide down hill, it scoots around Jebediah.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.