Stage Timings

One problem that I had while making an internal missile bay was that unguided missiles did not have enough time to avoid crashing into the ship once fired. Since these missiles did not have a probe core on it, the engines on them could not be triggered after they are separated from the main body. 

I think that some sort of fuse system could be relatively simple to implement, so a stage or an action group could have a slight delay between different but related events.

I can think of a few uses for this even in stock.

Mainly when dealing with moving away stages from fragile probes - especially when you want to send the said spent stage into suborbital, and separatrons just aren't enough, requiring you to rely on more powerful engines (which generally do have exhaust damage).

1 hour ago, Aeroboi said:

I do wonder why you just don't add a probe core to it.The OKTO2 is very small and weighs almost nothing.

Some missiles that I like to make are extremely small (as in the diameter of a cubic octagonal strut) and even the OKTO2 is too small. Even with missiles that are large enough to fit a probe core, it is a bit of a hassle to switch to the missile and activate the engines quickly. 

The mod that you linked does look interesting, I'll probably download it later.

It would be very cool if there could be a function for programming some stages. I mean something like activation at x Meters or y Atmospheres. Then something like Retroboosters which ignite at 10 Meters shortly before a touchdown would be possible. I think this is a very cool idea. But I don't know if this is easy in programming. Please say what you think about this. :)

@prgmTrouble

What propulsion do these tiny missiles of yours use?  Sepratrons?  How about a MM patch courtesy of @Enceos:

// Add a delayed action sepatron
// Author: Enceos
+PART[sepMotor1]:Final
{
	@name = delayedRetro    
	@title = Sepratron I-D
	@description = Same as the Sepratron I but with a delayed fuse.
	@MODULE[ModuleEngine*]
	{
		%useThrustCurve = true
		%thrustCurve
		{
			key = 0.00 0.01
			key = 0.05 1.00 0 0
			key = 0.93 1.00 0 0
			key = 0.98 0.10 0 0
			key = 1.00 0.10
		}
	}
}

Edited by klesh

On 2/24/2019 at 7:00 PM, klesh said:

@prgmTrouble

What propulsion do these tiny missiles of yours use?  Sepratrons?  How about a MM patch courtesy of @Enceos:

// Add a delayed action sepatron
// Author: Enceos
+PART[sepMotor1]:Final
{
	@name = delayedRetro    
	@title = Sepratron I-D
	@description = Same as the Sepratron I but with a delayed fuse.
	@MODULE[ModuleEngine*]
	{
		%useThrustCurve = true
		%thrustCurve
		{
			key = 0.00 0.01
			key = 0.05 1.00 0 0
			key = 0.93 1.00 0 0
			key = 0.98 0.10 0 0
			key = 1.00 0.10
		}
	}
}

Great idea! I'll use this the next time I make missiles!

On 2/20/2019 at 12:47 PM, Geonovast said:

AFAIK SmartParts is still going to require a probe core on the dropped stage/missile.

SmartParts does have a timer that advertises being able to trigger events on dropped stages, although I don't know if it still works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.