What are some useful parts you don't use enough?

EchoLima

For me, it's the wing connectors. I used to only make planes with delta wings, but now I'm making more varied planes with the rectangular ones.

Edit A more interesting question: What parts are not useful, and why? 

Edited by EchoLima

Fuel cells.  Personally I find it hard to overcome the stigma of using up a finite resource to generate electricity.  But a lot of the time they make for an easier / cheaper / more reliable setup compared to solar panels or RTGs.  The fuel cell arrays can also do some pretty good things when combined with ions.

Edited by Aegolius13

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Autostruts FTW.

Autostruts should be renamed Krakenbait for how they interact with KSP's flexible part joints. Can't count the number of times I switched to a station to find it arranged like a half-done jenga tower because the struts kicked in while it was still "physics flexing" on load.

Instead of Autostrut: Grandparent/Root/Heaviest Part in the menu, it should say Krakenbait: I'm too young to die/Hurt me plenty/Ultraviolence.

Edited by Loskene

11 minutes ago, Loskene said:

Autostruts should be renamed Krakenbait for how they interact with KSP's flexible part joints. Can't count the number of times I switched to a station to find it arranged like a half-done jenga tower because the struts kicked in while it was still "physics flexing" on load.

Instead of Autostrut: Grandparent/Root/Heaviest Part in the menu, it should say Krakenbait: I'm too young to die/Hurt me plenty/Ultraviolence.

I've found that grandparent autostruts are pretty tame. I've never experienced an autostrut-induced Kraken attack.

Plus, autostruts don't count towards drag or mass (unlike normal struts, which are quite draggy).

1 hour ago, Loskene said:

I have never, ever, ever had an autostrut-related kraken attack. And I use them on pretty much every craft I build.

I strongly suspect there is a certain safe percentage of parts you can have autostrut on. I do it on maybe 10% of my parts. If you autostrut everything to "root" (by default, I hear some do) sure you're asking for trouble. If you autostrut side-mounted tanks to grandparent and engines on your dropped launch stages to root, you shouldn't have any problem. Even with weird crazy stations.

The infamous micronode. If i ever use it then as counterweight because it`s so massive. I guess it`s made out of a solid block of steel.

Whoever invented this mad piece of Kerbal Space Technology... you`ve forgot to invent long thin girders to properly use this piece in space.

Using it with the even more heavy solid steel beams is absolutly nuts if you care about launchweight and efficiency...

Oh my little micronode, why...? Why???  

18 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I've found that grandparent autostruts are pretty tame. I've never experienced an autostrut-induced Kraken attack.

Plus, autostruts don't count towards drag or mass (unlike normal struts, which are quite draggy).

The one thing I'll say with regards to autostruts is that using Grandparent AS on a docking port is just asking for trouble.

24 minutes ago, Espatie said:

The one thing I'll say with regards to autostruts is that using Grandparent AS on a docking port is just asking for trouble.

I use Grandparent AS on a docking port all the time.

So far I  have experienced no problems.

Please enlighten me. What is this trouble that I am asking for but apparently not receiving?

D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.