What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Maximum7

26 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Did you see s01e05 Empire Strikes Back?

I’ve also played Empire at War. Unless the driver is asleep and doesn’t stop when he sees a speeder making circles around his vehicle, it merely immobilizes the AT-AT. Which is why it was a one-time improv.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If it stops, it becomes a motionless target.

It’s a universe that’s rather short on RPGs, closer to late 1930s or even earlier. This reduces the peril from being mobility-killed.

Okay so my archeology idea didn’t work. My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. It has to sound fresh and cool. 

12 hours ago, Maximum7 said:

Okay so my archeology idea didn’t work. My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. It has to sound fresh and cool. 

Well, any physically literate commenters are going to eat you alive. Seeing as black holes aren’t “active” and cannot spontaneously change mass.

Drop the “active” bit and just say it’s inexplicably gaining mass.

Spoiler

It’s an illegal waste disposal op of the First Order.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Well, any physically literate commenters are going to eat you alive. Seeing as black holes aren’t “active” and cannot spontaneously change mass.

This is Star Wars. The Force has mass, too. Force energy / c2

Someone is using his dark will to enforce the collapsar, and it gets heavier.

P.S.
Ergo, dead Yoda would weight less than alive Yoda.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

How about chemical propellants and explosives?

In a universe where rifle shots can blow chunks out of walls?

Complete and utter derp.

1 hour ago, DDE said:
1 hour ago, roboslacker said:

How about chemical propellants and explosives?

In a universe where rifle shots can blow chunks out of walls?

Btw... Maybe the SW world has enormous electromagnetic Forces or unusual thermodynamics?

So, the rifle shots blow chunks out of walls, while a whole spaceship can be fueled manually from a can?

4 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Btw... Maybe the SW world has enormous electromagnetic Forces or unusual thermodynamics?

So, the rifle shots blow chunks out of walls, while a whole spaceship can be fueled manually from a can?

I see no contradiction. Both involve mad energy densities.

My idea was perfect. I got it from Mythic Scribes. Intermetallic energy alloy plating. Then I found something like that existed on Wookieepedia. I’m so liquided!!!! Why can’t I find an idea that works and hasn’t been done already?

12 hours ago, Maximum7 said:

Why can’t I find an idea that works and hasn’t been done already?

Because after half a century, the SW franchise is running out of technobabble.

21 hours ago, Maximum7 said:

Why can’t I find an idea that works and hasn’t been done already?

Well, take a look at thousands of years of inventors in the real world and imagine their identical frustrations, and then multiply that by the 10's of thousands of worlds that exist in the SWEU, and you will quickly realize, there are no more original ideas.  Everything is based on the foundations of a previous discovery or invention.    So take your mad scientist, and have him working on improving an existing technology, with the potential to be ground breaking.  Like an aim-bot for stormtroopers. 

On 3/4/2019 at 1:47 AM, Gargamel said:

Well, take a look at thousands of years of inventors in the real world and imagine their identical frustrations, and then multiply that by the 10's of thousands of worlds that exist in the SWEU, and you will quickly realize, there are no more original ideas.  Everything is based on the foundations of a previous discovery or invention.    So take your mad scientist, and have him working on improving an existing technology, with the potential to be ground breaking.  Like an aim-bot for stormtroopers. 

Counterpoint: SW scientists are horrible at retaining data; there’s superior archeotech left and right.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

SW scientists are horrible at retaining data; there’s superior archeotech left and right.

SW scientists should be withstanding a permanent pressure from the Force occultists who do not want the competitors doing things without the exclusive magical abilities.

So, there is a lot of places still occupied by the Force orders.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

SW scientists should be withstanding a permanent pressure from the Force occultists who do not want the competitors doing things without the exclusive magical abilities.

So, there is a lot of places still occupied by the Force orders.

The surprisingly limited proliferation of knowledge about the Jedi seems to result in unexpectedly few cultists, too.

what, no Holotube, no people with mobile phones at every corner?

33 minutes ago, DDE said:

The surprisingly limited proliferation of knowledge about the Jedi seems to result in unexpectedly few cultists, too.

what, no Holotube, no people with mobile phones at every corner?

These blasphemous device would undermine the power of the Force users.

They discuss Jedi vs Sith, Light vs Dark, and other competitions between the two kinds of retrogrades.

But the real front line is lying between the SciTech vs JediSith parties. 

So, the most important scientific research would be: how to make the light sabres annihilate.
Or how to make the crystals unstable.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

But the real front line is lying between the SciTech vs JediSith parties. 

“If you’re all so clever, then why don’t you go back to Tython and then dismantle your hyperdrives!?”

...On second thought, that would stop all those ravageous Jedi-Sith wars. Do it.

And we’ll need an organization to round up all rogue Force-users and drop them off on their doorstep.

Spoiler

Wait...

magspace.ru_1.jpeg

Now, jokes aside, a serious anti-Force organization would be the real subversion SW lacks. Instead, they chose to, ahem, “democratize” the Force.

I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.