What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Maximum7

10 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

By pure coincidence, I just created an account on the orions arm forum... and saw you had posted the same thing there lol

Yeah I posted on a lot of forums. I can’t think of ideas on my own. I’m going to stop on Saturday and try to work on my story. 

2 hours ago, Maximum7 said:

Yeah I posted on a lot of forums. I can’t think of ideas on my own. I’m going to stop on Saturday and try to work on my story. 

Sometimes sparsity on details is the best option ;)

Your story is probably not going to get the MauLer treatment.

Spoiler
36 minutes ago, DDE said:

Sometimes sparsity on details is the best option

Once upon a time, a secret scientist commonly known as John Doe was working in a lab known as "P.O. #555" somewhere on a classified planet known as "Coruscant-24" on a secret project known as "Pencil Box".

My Star Wars story will now involve a scientist who is studying the ancient servers of the Holonet. As he learns about its beginnings, he thinks of ways he can make the Holonet better for everyone. What improvements can he make to the Holonet?

Im going about this all wrong when it comes to asking what idea I want. Im looking for a science thing that my scientist could study. On Steven Jackson games forum, someone suggested the migration patterns of Purgills. It would have been perfect except for the fact that it might lead someone to Ezra and Thrawn. That story will be told in the future. I want something unique but also a science that my scientist can study as his main work. Not an invention.

Someone on writingforums.org knocked some sense into me. The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational. I’m going to have him study asteroids. Thanks for putting up with me. 

7 hours ago, Maximum7 said:

The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:41 AM, DDE said:

Your chances are, overall, horrible. A lot of “research” in Star Wars tends to get outgunned by what the archeologists scavenge up as a result of said 25,000 (more like 50,000 AFAIK, what’s with Revan and his Rakatan battleship 3D printer) of rather cyclical technological development.

5 hours ago, Maximum7 said:

I’m making one last round on all the forums I posted on. I’m looking for something highly advanced.

Lightsabers with crossguards that won't injure you /s

For my story, my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

• 2 weeks later...

I know I’ve been going nuts with these posts but I’m very curious about what a scientist could do in SW

I was asking for ideas on what a scientist could be working on in the Star Wars galaxy. However my list of can nots are more akin to what an engineer would be working on. Then I guess that’s what I really meant. So that being said I ask. What can an engineer in the Star Wars galaxy be working on?. He works for the canon New Republic.

Things he can’t be working on

1.) Dyson sphere- Believe it or not it already exists in SWTOR

2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers aren’t that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars

3.) A Giant Underground City- Sullust has tons of these.

4.) Kransnikov Tube- Would be too much of a gamechanger for travel

5.) Ford-Svaitar mirror- Too much of a gamechanger for travel

6.) Nicoll-Dyson Laser- We already have the Death Star and Starkiller Base

7.) Space elevator- They have those

8.) Shellworld- Waste of time. Plenty of planets to work with

9) Alderton Disk- Too big

10.) Ringworld- Exists on Ringo Vinda

11.) Underwater cities- Plenty of those

12.) Any type of space habitat.

Any ideas?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.