Real Life KSP: Beresheet Lunar Mission Video

ansaman

The Israeli Beresheet Lunar lander is due to launch tomorrow on a Falcon 9 rocket. This video reminded me so much of KSP.  Because of KSP, any number of our experienced players could have designed the mission they described.

I hope their actual navigation is better than in the animation. The weird "Moon stops for a moment, then speeds up dramatically so that it is in the right position for the craft to intercept it" movement at about 1:50 is a bit jarring.

It's as if the person animating it couldn't work out the correct movement for the object, so just fudged it at the end.

In fact looking at it again, the speed of the probe is all over the place as well... eek.

Just saw the landing part as well and I don't think that's gravity works :)

Best of luck for the real thing though... looking forward to seeing this.

Edited by purpleivan

16 hours ago, steuben said:

Lithobraking from 5m up in 1/6 g is still lithobraking.

No its just an hard landing. Guess its not not kick up dust who can cover solar panels and instruments. 
or its just an estimated distance then speed reach 0 and height is below 5 meter cut engines. 

10 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

Anyone know why it's taking so darn long to get perigee up to lunar level, especially when the Falcon 9 is putting it into a pretty elliptical orbit to start with?   Is it just low enough TWR that it has to do a bunch of periapsis kicks? 

i guess in part is to just burn at Pe for effect and probably a bit to get more time to handle issues coming up. 
Can also be low TWR at release 

Hmm, I hope their preparations are good enough for this. I am sorry, I am just a lil bit cynical when someone is aiming too far and too high without a strong foundation.....

It feels like that time I decided to write a program to solve a rubik cube, and I could not.

First, Beresheet is on its way. SpaceX has done its part, it's now up to SpaceIL, SSC, and NASA (the latter two being involved with the communications aspect of the mission).

Second... not everything is "KSP in real life". As point of fact, the vast majority of things are not KSP in real life. Most things that go into space are very well thought-out and carefully engineered. Even the "small" efforts like Beresheet and Copenhagen Suborbital are very thorough efforts by a large number of very skilled and knowledgeable people.

Spoiler
8 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

very thorough efforts by a large number of very skilled and knowledgeable people.

Yes, that's about KSP

Total Members
Most Online

Spoiler
9 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

the vast majority of things are not KSP in real life

We have mods for other.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

Second... not everything is "KSP in real life". As point of fact, the vast majority of things are not KSP in real life. Most things that go into space are very well thought-out and carefully engineered.

Indeed.  It's very hard to actually have things in KSP that are well thought out and carefully engineered because either a) a lot of very important things IRL are abstracted away in KSP, or b) because of the limits of KSP's Lego block building system.  (Or sometimes both.)

KSP is a very useful introduction to some of the very basic concepts, but it's also actively misleading in some respects.  (For example, you never have to worry about keeping your batteries warm - though oddly, you do sometimes have to worry about keeping them cool.)  Contrary to the bromide beloved of many KSP players, you don't actually learn as much as you think you do simply by playing KSP.

10 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Indeed.  It's very hard to actually have things in KSP that are well thought out and carefully engineered because either a) a lot of very important things IRL are abstracted away in KSP, or b) because of the limits of KSP's Lego block building system.  (Or sometimes both.)

KSP is a very useful introduction to some of the very basic concepts, but it's also actively misleading in some respects.  (For example, you never have to worry about keeping your batteries warm - though oddly, you do sometimes have to worry about keeping them cool.)  Contrary to the bromide beloved of many KSP players, you don't actually learn as much as you think you do simply by playing KSP.

That's why you install RP0 and ROsarcasm

On 2/22/2019 at 8:29 AM, DerekL1963 said:

My favorite is to put LV-N on the side of an hitchhiker. 
I like the nerva but its an reason all of the projects with them are long towers with crew in the other end. 
Note that this is also true for any reactor in space with humans close. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.