Real Life KSP: Beresheet Lunar Mission Video

ansaman

Hm... I started to worry when +Z acceleration got down from 2.1 to 0.7m/s², because Mün Moon surface gravity is 1.62m/s² and... they were less than 10km to surface. As this probe is unlikely to have a Kerbal powerhouse with a TWR above 50 that allows suicide burns 20m above the dust at suborbital speeds, this was definitely not an encouraging sign.

Sad ending :\

Well, they tried! now I hope they'll learn plenty of things... for SCIENCE!

Oh my... That moment after the communication restore when vertical speed got higher and higher until the display turned yellow and then red, while horizotal speed deceleration stopped...

The animation showed the spacecraft desperately pointing up instead of prograde...

Reboot when calculatory only seconds left to impact.

That broke my heart ;.;

I really hope there will be this "next time" 

Edited by Kergarin

Wasn't it awesome, American players, that we actually understood how far a meter was during this landing?

Goodness knows that most of us were about as successful on our very first try to land on the Mun. :D

KSP: Making the teaching of the metric system to Americans that much easier.

Looking forward to another try by SpaceIL. Their country absolutely loved this!

EDIT: Can't find a link, but the XPrize folks awarded the company $1 million for the effort to encourage a later try.

Edited by OrbitsR4Sissies
Update

I noticed the vertical component of the speed started to increase, and then also the horizontal component.

If it was simply a dead spacecraft on a ballistic trajectory, there would be, of course, zero horizontal acceleration. Since there was, this means the lander had tilted in a wrong direction, possibly close to prograde vector and was basically contributing to slamming itself into regolith.

Good try, nonetheless. A small private company managing to do even this is a great achievement. I just wish more of the stream had been translated.

More luck next time, I guess.

6 minutes ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

EDIT: Can't find a link, but the XPrize folks awarded the company $1 million for the effort to encourage a later try.

That's good to hear. They definitely earn this and their second try.

I hope they find out what went wrong. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.