A "KSP Loading..." Preview: RV-105 RCS Thruster Block Revamp

SQUAD

Everyone is familiar with these small monopropellant thrusters that have helped us with attitude control and linear motion for years. The textures of the RV-105 RCS Thrusters were pretty outdated, though… That’s why our art team took up the task of giving these a well deserved overhaul: With new textures, tweaked geometry and emissive maps, the RV-105 looks slicker than ever. Additionally, each nozzle will now react individually with the movement of your craft, cool right?

tumblr_inline_pnafmdmFDX1rr2wit_540.jpg

Click here to see a high res image

The new texture looks great! 

I do think it would would make more sense the side panels to extend past the nozzles, so that their purpose would be to allow for easier installation of the nozzles. Also, the entire top and bottom of the RCS block should be separate pieces, IMO. (Edit: bad idea, nvm)

Edited by EchoLima

2 minutes ago, EchoLima said:

I do think that the panels on the sides were placed oddly though. It would make more sense for them to extend past the nozzles (so that the purpose of the panels would be to allow for easier installation of the nozzles). 

Panels are based on this reference, extending them sounds good though. 

X5HlJN42aze3iWUfjzddPV5IAV4j6QnE4ZvbDXaL

30 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

I notice real nozzles such as the pic above don't have such a pronounced lip on them. I'll just chalk this up to "why squad shouldn't waste time retexturing old place holder meshes"...

The first part is a valid comment, but looking at the comparison image in the OP these are two different meshes - the new one seems to be modified from the original but it is different.

Edited by MaianTrey

1 hour ago, EchoLima said:

I do think it would would make more sense the side panels to extend past the nozzles, so that their purpose would be to allow for easier installation of the nozzles. Also, the entire top and bottom of the RCS block should be separate pieces, IMO. 

The side panels make perfect sense as it is. If the panel covers the entire nozzle, you have to put the nozzle on after the panel, but then how do you fasten it behind the shroud? As is shown in the image, you connect the nozzle, then close up the shroud. I've designed canopies with aluminum panel faces, and putting the steel column centered on the joint between two panels is definitely more practical.

1 hour ago, MaianTrey said:

The first part is a valid comment, but looking at the comparison image in the OP these are two different meshes - the new one seems to be modified from the original but it is different.

Excuse me? It's all valid these discrepancies wouldn't happen if parts were modeled from scratch especially considering how squad doesn't take feedback and redo's unless the parts reception is cold enough to build a snow kerbal out of.

Edit: Also they are the same mesh they just added a bevel to the inside of the nozzel they are still made from the old mesh not from scratch.

Edited by passinglurker

13 minutes ago, Delay said:

Huh?

The Ant and Spider from last week are roughly the same physical size as the RCS blocks but have considerably more detail. Thus "better" detail density. Consistent detail density would be another way of putting it, as the bare version of the Spider looks like it has about the same amount of modelling detail as the 2.5m engines. The shrouded versions of the Ant and Spider fit in much better with other parts of that size.

How about adding the 45° angle RCS quads, like the ones on the Lunar Module, that are positioned at the corners of a lander.  Instead of all 4 jets being in a single plane, one is angled up at right angles to all of the rest to allow positioning on the corners.

Apollo_17_LM_Ascent_Stage.jpg

There's been multiple mods that have recreated these.  They should be stock.

Edited by Jacke

Looks good in general, but considering this part will mostly be seen at a distance, I wonder if that details are a bit to busy.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

These threads could be packaged together as a treatise on how you literally cannot please everybody.

Such is life.  It's the last thing any artist should try to do.

26 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Looks good in general, but considering this part will mostly be seen at a distance, I wonder if that details are a bit to busy.

Such is life.  It's the last thing any artist should try to do.

Honestly, it has been so long since the release of the game. The standard for graphics has probably risen proportionally to the increase of detail... I might be wrong though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.