A "KSP Loading..." Preview: RV-105 RCS Thruster Block Revamp

SQUAD

Would it be possible to reshape the nozzles to get the pinch of a throat convergence you'd normally expect to see preceding the expansion bell part each nozzle instead of the step/shoulder shape?

I get that it's a small part and that's probably splitting hairs but that part of the shape always bothered me for some reason

12 hours ago, passinglurker said:

I notice real nozzles such as the pic above don't have such a pronounced lip on them.

Isn't that just the thickness of the metal on the model? Is that really a significant issue for such a small part? I mean, I get what you're saying, but the artist is evidently very skilled and I think the work on this should be applauded. Besides, when zooming out to the level we would normally be at when viewing a craft, the "lip" may well make it look more attractive and realistic at normal screen resolutions.

I'm somewhat disappointed that all the 1.7 previews have been relatively small to extremely tiny parts that are least likely to have any visual impact at normal view distances. I'm not complaining about the revamp designs. They look good, but really how often are they going to be that noticable?  Where are some big easy to spot parts? Where's a new Mainsail? I use this engine on more rockets than probably any other and it's the most cartoonish of the engines left after the 1.6 revamp.

56 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I'm somewhat disappointed that all the 1.7 previews have been relatively small to extremely tiny parts that are least likely to have any visual impact at normal view distances. I'm not complaining about the revamp designs. They look good, but really how often are they going to be that noticable?  Where are some big easy to spot parts? Where's a new Mainsail? I use this engine on more rockets than probably any other and it's the most cartoonish of the engines left after the 1.6 revamp.

The revamps for each update seem to focus on a related group of things, with only a few outliers.

1.5 had Probe cores (and 1.25m tanks), 1.6 Adapters+nosecones (and poodle+landercan), 1.7 seems to be tiny engines/"engines"(rcs) (i forget if we've seen an outlier yet)

6 hours ago, Deddly said:

Isn't that just the thickness of the metal on the model? Is that really a significant issue for such a small part? I mean, I get what you're saying, but the artist is evidently very skilled and I think the work on this should be applauded. Besides, when zooming out to the level we would normally be at when viewing a craft, the "lip" may well make it look more attractive and realistic at normal screen resolutions.

I find it significant because I don't expect it to stop with just the rcs block. The old meshes were sloppily done reuseing them carries an unnecessary risk of their flaws and mistakes persisting, and it's especially frustrating because most of the meshes they are reuseing are very simple and trivial to recreate cleanly from scratch to ensure there is no risk of errors. It's just another snip in a long line of bald squad corner cuts.

25 minutes ago, scimas said:

I wonder how long Squad plans to keep updating KSP. Because, if they keep revamping parts, soon KSP is going to look like an ultra realistic 3d printed model pictured with the background of a 5 year old child's drawing. 

Yeah they seriously need to update just even the planet texture mapping itself. Seeing the landscape of stretched textures as far as the eyes can see is... not conducive of... well I SUPPOSE it generates an alien aura... or at least an alienating one. When they finally do planet passes I hope they add in what PlanetShine and DistantObjectEnhancer does as stock. Screw scatter-er, those small little details are in so many photos from NASA archives its embarrassing how much they correct your perception inside the game; "Oh look it's daylight on the Mun and therefore I cannot see the stars cause I am blinded by the albedo of the mun surface." I have full confidence they will get to a re-texturing pass but I don't know if they will add in those details and I feel they are crucial to the feeling of space exploration. And then there is the sound design. Holy hell, Kevin Macleod is either stoked or livid at several sound tracks he made for free use being synonymous with KSP now. We will need a pass over that as well. I don't feel getting rid of the songs is a good idea, too late for that. Building off of them is the way to go. I know it can be done because this beautiful stand-up guy tried:

Edited by Maniacal
Kevin is not liquidating at the moment, and therefore I must retract that statement.

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

Still going to wonder about the reflectivity on the new new revamps vs the old new revamps though!

You are not the only one....  Starting to see a few new staff names pop up though, which starts to explain part of what has been going on (different artists -> different art styles).

I'm looking for two things from any 'revamp' of the stock artwork in the game -- consistency, and modernization.  Go ahead and keep it a bit cartooney, but please make it consistent, and please, for all that is good, stop using the legacy shaders and actually use all of the texture slots/maps for parts that could benefit from them (spec/metal/gloss/whatever; normals; emissives; AO as a texture, not baked into albedo)  (this means, putting the details into the map to which they belong; not faking normals/height in the basecolor, or baking AO/specular data into the basecolor).

Certainly glad to see some of these parts updated, but the differences in stylings is... worrisome, and the continued use of legacy shaders/techniques on some of the parts is disappointing.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:00 PM, SQUAD said:

the RV-105 looks slicker than ever.

It does indeed. Good job.

Speaking of the slickness of RV-105 blocks: will you also take a critical look at the drag box values of these? Perhaps lowering the drag of these to something a bit more reasonable for such tiny parts...

Indeed.. or perhaps one where the nozzles aren't nearly touching each-other on a 0.625 dockable probe.

We have around half a dozen probe cores but no probe RCS system.

They even look far too big when used on the 1.5m pod

Even the place-anywheres are designed for the 2.5m system.

While I am very appreciative of your efforts, there are many obvious holes which could use work.

D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.