Science Lab Not Transmitting

So, I have a very heavily modded install of KSP (most recent version, I think that being 1.6.1),  and I've currently got a LKO station with about 220 science in the lab that I can't transmit.  I've spent a while looking around for solutions but can't find anything, since this seems to mostly be a problem with people using Science Alert and/or Remotetech, but I have neither of those installed.  I'm thinking it might be a problem with the lab I'm using, since I'm not using the stock MPL, but rather the Lonesome Robots Station Lab, although I haven't seen anything about anyone else having a problem with this.  As far as mods go, I have module manager of course--

SCANsat, DMagic, Lonesome Robots Station parts and Lonesome Robot Hoyo CM, plus a bunch of parts packs like all the Near Future mods, FASA, and Station Parts Expansion; also have Kerbal Engineer Redux, Mechjeb, Surface Experiment Package, KAS and KIS, Almost Real Solar System, scatterer, SVE and EVE, the Kerbal Academy Contract Pack, the SETI probe mod, greenhouse, and contracts, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems.  I also have a bunch of other mods, mainly just dependencies for all of these, but I highly doubt it could be any of those since the majority of my mods are what I use on all my fresh installs.  The only new mods I've gotten on this install are SCANsat, the Lonesome Robot mods, SETI, and Kerbal Academy, plus a few minor things like the Trajectory mod.  I understand that a lot of these mods are out of date, but I've never had any problems with mods like FASA in the past.

I'd really appreciate any help; it's starting to kill me looking at 200+ science in a lab that can't transmit anything back home.  

I'm going to just get the obvious, dumb question out of the way so we can move on to the real cause of the issue. 

Your station does have an antenna on board?  If launch and assembly were manned the whole time, you might not have noticed the inability to communicate with the ground. 

Yes.  I have the early high-gain antenna.  Something I forgot to mention, it does show the message that it's transmitting the data, and everything seems to work fine.  It'll get to 100% and give me the message that it's done transmitting.  I'll wait a few seconds, then check, and the lab still has all the science in it, and when I return to the KSC, I still have as much science as I did before I transmitted the data.

Ok then.  On to the technical aspects of the question. 

i think the logs might help out here.   If you would kindly attempt to transmit the science again, and then upon completion, post your output.log to a file hosting service and link it here, we could take a look for anything erroneous.  

Details on this:

14 hours ago, DrJinx said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aJEufM02EuSaRocdsW0Eh4xrVd-XDriK/view?usp=sharing

Here's the output_log.  Just went in, tried to transmit the science once, still didn't work.

Uff, there are a lot of exceptions regarding the science lab:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleScienceLab.updateModuleUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ModuleScienceLab.onPartActionUI (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Part].Fire (.Part data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(Part)
UIPartActionWindow:CreatePartList(Boolean)
UIPartActionWindow:UpdateWindow()
UIPartActionController:UpdateActiveWindows()
UIPartActionController:UpdateFlight()
UIPartActionController:Update()

This message appears ~360 times. I thought this happens due a mod incompatibility since "LonesomeRobots Aerospace: Station Parts" is released for 1.3.1 but the mod doesn't contain a .dll file, just a bunch of models, textures and configs. I've checked the config for the science lab and it looks fine though.

Kinda puzzled here...

• 6 months later...

sorry for the necro: This is for anyone who stumbles across this thread with the same problem and the same error from that log:

That error will be the result if ModuleScienceLab is referencing the wrong MODULE for ModuleScienceContainer. The field is containerModuleIndex and it must be assigned a numerical index for the container. Remember that the zeroth index is the first index so containerModuleIndex = 8 refers to the ninth MODULE.

The problem is either because the original part config was written incorrectly or because a Module Manager patch deleted some MODULEs. (or otherwise changed the order)

• 3 years later...
On 2/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, DrJinx said:

So, I have a very heavily modded install of KSP  

On 9/19/2019 at 2:57 PM, Starwaster said:

sorry for the necro

I too have a heavily modded install. I added a Science Lab via ModuleManager (MM) to a part (from another mod) with the expectation that the part would behave similarly to the MPL-LG-2.

Unfortunately,  I am unable tp transmit science; and I am unable to determine why.

I suspect it is because I added the Science Lab via MM; but I am unsure because the patch appears to be exactly the same as stock.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Cheers,

On 2/4/2023 at 1:50 AM, Stratickus said:

I too have a heavily modded install. I added a Science Lab via ModuleManager (MM) to a part (from another mod) with the expectation that the part would behave similarly to the MPL-LG-2.

Unfortunately,  I am unable tp transmit science; and I am unable to determine why.

I suspect it is because I added the Science Lab via MM; but I am unsure because the patch appears to be exactly the same as stock.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Cheers,

Would need to your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file and the name of the part that you're adding to...

And log file would help too

On 2/10/2023 at 10:02 PM, Stratickus said:

MM log     / PART[utility-pod-25]      

KSP log

Cheers,

Sorry, took me longer than anticipated to get to this. Didnt look at the log yet. But in the cache, I see in ModuleScienceLab  containerModuleIndex = 0

That is wrong, because the container is clearly the second module (0 = first)

14 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Sorry, took me longer than anticipated to get to this. Didnt look at the log yet. But in the cache, I see in ModuleScienceLab  containerModuleIndex = 0

That is wrong, because the container is clearly the second module (0 = first)

Interesting. Can you expand on this? I didn't think KSP/MM cared about which order the [MODULE]'s were in. FWIW, the stock MPL-LG-2 has ModuleScienceLab as the second module in the PART config with containerModuleIndex = 0.

Cheers,

On 2/13/2023 at 4:21 PM, Stratickus said:

Interesting. Can you expand on this? I didn't think KSP/MM cared about which order the [MODULE]'s were in. FWIW, the stock MPL-LG-2 has ModuleScienceLab as the second module in the PART config with containerModuleIndex = 0.

Cheers,

It's not that KSP or MM care, it's that ModuleScienceLab specifically cares. It doesn't try to locate a suitable container module. Instead it relies on being told what location (what index) the container is in.

In this case, index 0, which is the first module. If it's pointed at a location and the module at that location is not a ModuleScienceContainer, then it fails. I think it also prints a warning or error in the log but I forget. I actually didn't look at the log yet. But I know from past experience that it will fail if given an incorrect index.

Anyway, in your example, MPL-LG-2, yes, ModuleScienceLab is second module.  That's not important. What's important there is that it's looking at index 0 for the container, and first container is ModuleScienceContainer

It's (IMNSHO) bad and sloppy coding.

(no offense to any KSP code monkeys reading this who might have been responsible for that module)

Edited by Starwaster
fixed bad grammar

21 hours ago, Starwaster said:

It's not that KSP or MM care, it's that ModuleScienceLab specifically cares. It doesn't try to locate a suitable container module. Instead it relies on being told what location (what index) the container is in.

In this case, index 0, which is the first module. If it's pointed at a location and the module at that location is not a ModuleScienceContainer, then it fails. I think it also prints a warning or error in the log but I forget. I actually didn't look at the log yet. But I know from past experience that it will fail if given an incorrect index.

Curious; it still doesn't make sense to me , but then again I'm not a programmer.  But, in other good news, I changed containerModuleIndex = 1 and magically it works!

Thanks for the help! I never would have figured this out on my own.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 1:54 PM, Stratickus said:

Curious; it still doesn't make sense to me , but then again I'm not a programmer.  But, in other good news, I changed containerModuleIndex = 1 and magically it works!

Thanks for the help! I never would have figured this out on my own.

Cheers,

np glad I could help!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with a science module.  Which `containerModuleIndex` for a MPL-LG-2 should be changed from `0` to `1`?   Here's my log if anyone can take a look, thanks!

MM log

Update: I poked around and was able to fix it!

Edited by goodpraxis
Solved

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.