What was the barn?

KerbolExplorer

The Barn:   https://imgur.com/a/G2sUx#0

bac9's (the dev who made the current space center buildings) critique of it: https://imgur.com/onpH9fp

The funny part I find about bac9's critique is that some of the bad elements he points out are found in his own, admittedly far superior (imho) space center design.

It was subsequently decided to replace it with the tier 1 space center which is what is in the game now.   Some people are adamant about it's return to the game.

Edited by klesh

1 minute ago, klesh said:

The Barn:   https://imgur.com/a/G2sUx#0

bac9's (the dev who made the current space center buildings) critique of it: https://imgur.com/onpH9fp

It was subsequently decided to replace it with the tier 1 space center which is what is in the game now.   Some people are adamant about it's return to the game.

Ahhh ok thanks!

Looks cool thought,too bad it didnt made it to the game

Yeah, the Tier 0 "Space Center" needs to be a thing. When inventing a brand new technology, you generally start in a building that wasn't designed for it, hence "The Barn." You can't have a purpose-built building before the purpose has been invented yet.

#BringBackTheBarn

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

In the spirit of this thread, I always thought they needed parts for RC planes and RC rockets when the barn was first discussed... :)

That would be awesome.

I'd buy a DLC with a tier 0 of everything and a slew of 0.3125 meter parts.

...assuming of course that they all worked in career mode *cough*missionbuilder*cough*

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

That would be awesome.

I'd buy a DLC with a tier 0 of everything and a slew of 0.3125 meter parts.

...assuming of course that they all worked in career mode *cough*missionbuilder*cough*

Come to think of it, I'd buy it, too... that could really be fun!

2 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

...but the 40% group was much more sophisticated and eloquent in their opposition.

[needless hyperbole]Are soulless aesthetes that are ruining the game.[/needless hyperbole]

Id rather have the barn, completely unimproved, than every last recent graphical “improvement”

They should use it as a new launch site next to the big lake and river system on the continent to the east of KSC.

14 hours ago, klesh said:

The funny part I find about bac9's critique is that some of the bad elements he points out are found in his own, admittedly far superior (imho) space center design.

He probably learned those things by making the same mistakes.

7 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

I really am still bummed out about the barn. I honestly feel that it was a 60-40 decision but the 40% group was much more sophisticated and eloquent in their opposition.

I don’t think so - I just remember them being louder. 

I mentioned on another thread that KSP has turned into S. We’ve still got the space part but the Kerbal part and the Program part have been lost along the way. Left lying by the side of the road if you will.

Looking back on it, to me, ditching the Barn was the point at which Squad gave up trying to make a game out of their sandbox.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:28 AM, FleshJeb said:

They should use it as a new launch site next to the big lake and river system on the continent to the east of KSC.

I agree: put it there for the people who want it, let those who don't ignore it; also, it could also be findable as an anomaly.  

On 2/28/2019 at 3:37 PM, GKSP said:

I agree: put it there for the people who want it, let those who don't ignore it; also, it could also be findable as an anomaly. 

Optional would be just fine. Foisting that eyesore on everyone every time they started a new game would be anything but.
I suspect the craptastic LOLKerbals aesthetic would have been forgiven had the execution looked halfway professional, but it didn't. Good riddance, but I'd be open to another attempt - with less amateur-hour art and more fitting into the rest of the game. Nobody launches mercury capsules from a trailer park.

Edited by steve_v

I'll make it clear.  It's not necessary the concept I'm against. (If you get rid of the burnt out car husk.)  It's the execution.  It would have been the worst art currently in KSP.  I just looked over it again to try and give it a 22nd chance.  I just couldn't do it.

13 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

It's not necessary the concept I'm against. It's the execution.

I didn't really care about the execution.  The concept just doesn't fit.

5 minutes ago, razark said:

I didn't really care about the execution.  The concept just doesn't fit.

I can see this point as well.  Unless they decided to add sounding rockets and changed the tech tree to probes before crewed.

It would have made more sense to make the entire Tier 0 space centre out of modular office buildings like this one:

atco%20site%20office.jpg

To be honest, I found bac9's critique to be overly pedantic. But I don't have a background in level design or any artistic sense, and I also don't zoom in on KSC buildings that much to care if a texture was scaled wrong. Others are entitled to their opinion that the barn was poorly executed. Maybe they have more refined taste or something. Personally I found the barn to be charming.

In the end, does the barn really have that much effect on the game one way or another? I'm not personally enjoying KSP any less with or without it. I honestly think people have made a mountain out of this molehill.