KSP Updates And Your Opinions

ZooNamedGames

KSP Upcoming Updates  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind Of Content Should 1.X Contain?

• More Retextures
    • New Features
    • Updated Career
    • Bug Fixes
    • New Parts
    • Mods Added To Stock
    • Solar System Overhaul (New Terrain, Planets, etc)
    • Science System Overhaul
    • Graphical Enhancements
    • None of the above

Since KSP 1.4, updates have become a bit predictable. A few new part overhauls to look more PorkJet styled and then Squad adds a few mod features (parachutes, DV calculator, spawning Kerbals in command seats) to stock and tops it off with something original like Idle Kerbal animations. Oh, and don't forget the complimentary bug fixes.

I understand Squad is trying to go through and overhaul the game but I can't help but feel they're doing very little in the grand scheme of things. New content is actually quite small compared to past releases where there's little incentive to actually upgrade from version to version. A few parts change. A feature or two is added, but most of these are already possible with mods, and the hand full of things that aren't, are rather niche anyway (how many people in normal gameplay actually get to see the Kerbal's idle animation? I'm sure some people do, but with so little to do on EVA, I have no reason to just leave a Kerbal outside without using them).

Now I understand that not every update can be like 1.0 and overhaul the entire game into something new, but something more substantial than a retexture, mod into stock and a filler new feature would be great. I also know every change takes time, and I am willing to wait, but at 4 months roughly for each of these updates, it's rather quick. I'd rather wait 8 months for actual meaty content. I'm spending more time checking out the Development Updates hoping for something actually new and exciting as opposed to 'oh, another part retexture... great'. I'm sure the modellers are working hard on them too (they look great), but a retexture isn't too novel or exciting an idea, after all mods, can achieve the same effect and I don't have to wait to get them, not to mention it doesn't require an update of all of KSP to use either.

That's just my opinion. So I formed this poll to see what others are wanting from future 1.X updates as I know I don't speak for the majority.

While part redos can easily be done by mods, not everyone can run them...you have to think about console players and people with weaker computers. Besides, the game has been horribly mismatched in terms of art style for ages, so the revamp effort is sorely needed in my opinion.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

While part redos can easily be done by mods, not everyone can run them...you have to think about console players and people with weaker computers. Besides, the game has been horribly mismatched in terms of art style for ages, so the revamp effort is sorely needed in my opinion.

And the giving the parts a uniform appearance is great but now I'm experiencing a problem where the parts are too uniform and look identical in the part menu. For years I could just look and know what size a part is from experience and from it's appearance, now that is no longer an option as they are all identical. Though this being a problem for me is scoffable and ignorable, but the bigger problem is to new players who won't know the difference when trying to follow YouTube guides (even current up to date guides!). Go back and watch players try to match and recreate crafts from videos and they'll be confused with the existing parts, much less ones that appear to be identical or worse now, come in various colors and textures and won't even match in between updates.

1 minute ago, Majorjim! said:

After these current part revamps there should be one last balance past and bug fixes and then nothing. 

The game is long overdue being truly finished and it really needs to be left alone now. 

Squad has always stated that their intent was to have continuous new updates and releases, like Minecraft.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Squad has always stated that their intent was to have continuous new updates and releases, like Minecraft.

That’s all well and good but those changes should not break content. The game is geared towards spending a large number of hours building and balancing craft designs and far too many updates are breaking that. I am so tired of constant craft rebuilds. 

16 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

That’s all well and good but those changes should not break content. The game is geared towards spending a large number of hours building and balancing craft designs and far too many updates are breaking that. I am so tired of constant craft rebuilds. 

Post part replacements that should be the last game breaker.

I just would like to see bug fixes and updates to Enhanced Edition (which we're starting to get now, thanks SQUAD). What I DON'T want to see is a bunch of DLC packs being the only way for new content while they leave the base game untouched (basically what EA and Activision do), as that would just make me stop playing completely.

28 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I just would like to see bug fixes and updates to Enhanced Edition (which we're starting to get now, thanks SQUAD). What I DON'T want to see is a bunch of DLC packs being the only way for new content while they leave the base game untouched (basically what EA and Activision do), as that would just make me stop playing completely.

It will continue to be a mix IMO. Simple retextures and the like for the base game but DLC for substantial new content. 

That’s fine by me. 

30 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

It will continue to be a mix IMO. Simple retextures and the like for the base game but DLC for substantial new content.

Shouldn't be like that. Just having retextures for parts in the base game and actually getting new parts and features in the DLC is basically just abandoning the base game. 

13 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Just having retextures for parts in the base game and actually getting new parts and features in the DLC is basically just abandoning the base game. 

How much updating of the base game would they need to do for you to buy a new copy?

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What do you mean by that exactly?

The developers need to fund any additions to the game.  If there's no cash coming in, there's no reason to continue expanding.  Someone has to pay for it, by either buying DLC or buying additional copies of the game.

1 minute ago, razark said:

The developers need to fund any additions to the game.  If there's no cash coming in, there's no reason to continue expanding.  Someone has to pay for it, by either buying DLC or buying additional copies of the game.

Oh. But doesn't SQUAD get funding from Take Two now?

4 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Oh. But doesn't SQUAD get funding from Take Two now?

Yes.  But Take Two isn't a charity.  They give Squad money to make the game, in expectation that the game will bring in more than they spend.

52 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Doesn't mean that it should just be that all future content is just DLC, that's a bit extreme in my view

Feel free to create your own game and try this business model and let us know how well that works out for you. 

12 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Feel free to create your own game and try this business model and let us know how well that works out for you. 

If I try it, why shouldn't you try it too?

Anyways I don't want this to turn into a discussion about video game funding, so I'll just leave it there

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

They added delta-v calculations to the stock game. If that isn't a significant new feature then I don't know what is.

Personally I'd like to see basic life support added to stock. One they're done with the part retexturing I think it's time to add clouds.

13 hours ago, Xavven said:

They added delta-v calculations to the stock game. If that isn't a significant new feature then I don't know what is.

Personally I'd like to see basic life support added to stock. One they're done with the part retexturing I think it's time to add clouds.

Issue is the calculator is a Mod made stock (see KER and MJ2 which had the calculator function since KSP was in alpha) and not an original feature. Life support also falls under this bracket as it's been done to death by various mods. Clouds would fall under my category of 'Graphical Enhancements' on the poll.

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Issue is the calculator is a Mod made stock (see KER and MJ2 which had the calculator function since KSP was in alpha) and not an original feature. Life support also falls under this bracket as it's been done to death by various mods. Clouds would fall under my category of 'Graphical Enhancements' on the poll.

Just because a feature has been added by mods doesn't mean it shouldn't be added to stock. As I mentioned before, SQUAD can't just cater to players capable of using mods.

29 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Just because a feature has been added by mods doesn't mean it shouldn't be added to stock. As I mentioned before, SQUAD can't just cater to players capable of using mods.

Hence why it's on the poll for "what should be included from here on". I have my own opinion but I'd rather let the poll speak for itself.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:01 AM, ZooNamedGames said:

So wait, a "new feature" by your definition is something added to stock that no modder has yet delivered? Interesting definition.... Because both "New Features" and "Mods added to stock" are in your poll, I assumed the latter meant literally adding that mod to stock, meaning Squad actually taking that code and not developing their own spin on it. I think the modding community has been pretty thorough about things missing from stock KSP, so what exactly would make the cut for "new features" then?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.