ADF-11F Raven (1:1 Replica w/ FAR)

Schwarz

I've been tackling this plane for sometime, although it has proved itself to be troublesome, and the project took way longer than expected(still haven't really finished by this point).
Anyway, presenting the ADF-11F Raven:
xgHt5Tx.png

k95WmqL.png

The ADF-11F Raven is an advanced unmanned air superiority fighter boasting phenomenal maneuverability, laser weaponry, and ridiculous loitering time. Designed with "ultimate survivability" in mind, the Raven is actually an ADF-11 drone nose unit with a RAW-F air supremacy wing unit attached, together forming the ADF-11F. The combined Raven would always attempt to take damage with the RAW-F wing unit, and when being damaged beyond combat capable, the nose unit would detach and retreat, bring back crucial combat data for further tactical advancements. 

Front and rear:
9eNe0zd.png

tJefaxw.png

Missile bay and laser weapon:
QOS4yEJ.png

eyb5ecz.png

ADF-11 nose unit detaching:
LlgFtpk.png

9C6wRcE.png

ObTnnCJ.png

gnCy2eL.png

Detaching in progress:
https://i.imgur.com/2tqDFa9.gifv

The Raven is unmistakably MASSIVE, even surpassing the Tupolev Tu-28 in maximum takeoff weight. Detaching the ADF-11 from the Raven is like ejecting a Dassault Rafale on top of an F-22. 
For a size comparison, we've asked Jeb to roll the Aeris 3A in front of the SPH for a photo shoot:
eKgwK1V.png

Jeb even agreed to pose for a photo:
B1yLIHc.png

And don't trust the blue ball, it can and will deceive you...
lYu1YwX.png
The delta platform is rather stable even without vertical tails. Bit of a surprise for me there.

Haha thats bloody awesome mate!
Here have it fly next to my absolute joke of a full size arsenal bird

Maybe this way we can get belka to stop trying to cause the robot apocalypse 

oh hold on this is probably important
https://kerbalx.com/Colonel_Cbplayer/absulote-arsenal-bird

Edited by Colonel Cbplayer

15 minutes ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

Haha thats bloody awesome mate!
Here have it fly next to my absolute joke of a full size arsenal bird

Maybe this way we can get belka to stop trying to cause the robot apocalypse 

I mean,
WOW

Arsenal Bird Awesome Bird.
I suppose I need Ubio wielding for this to work, no?
I'm running KSP 1.5, would be a shame if I can't get 517 tons of awesomeness to work.
(Though I think ubio wielding works just fine in 1.5)

• 10 months later...

how did you get it to balance out without a tail assembly? ive been trying to recreate the raven all day yesterday and today, and i cannot get it to work without a set of tails to stabilise the damn thing, it just drifts off to the right or to the left and completely stalls out

• 7 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 9:54 AM, noobsrtoast said:

how did you get it to balance out without a tail assembly? ive been trying to recreate the raven all day yesterday and today, and i cannot get it to work without a set of tails to stabilise the damn thing, it just drifts off to the right or to the left and completely stalls out

Well, we will need more info to work out the problem.
There are, however, some easy fixes that one can apply:
1.Airflow past the cockpit, top of the engine nacelles, the canted wing tips of both the raw-f and adfx-10, could grant greater yaw stability. One can tweak the designs of those parts to get the plane to stabilize itself. Generally if you have more protruding structures on top of the wing than under,  you can kind of get away with not having vertical stabilizers.

2.Brake rudders. If your plane suffers from yaw instability, brake rudders on the outer side of the wings can help. The B2 is a good example on using brake rudders to achieve yaw control. This is also the easiest way to combat yaw instability since you need them for yaw control anyway.

3.Horizontal thrust vectoring. Personally don't recommend doing that but if your problem is extreme and you simply can't figure out how to fix it, this is indeed a workaround, and works regardless of flight state provided you have a high TWR. The Raven's offset design also helps, although if 100% authenticity is what you are aiming for, then this is out of the picture since all members of the ADF family except the Morgan only have pitch vectoring.

4.Atmosphere Autopilot/Throttle Controlled Avionics
If you opt for airflow control, AA is a great fly by wire mod to have as it awards good aerodynamic design and control layout. AA however, would require you to get the designs right first. TCA controls the individual thrust of both engines to achieve the same result, which allows poor design but comes at the price of reduced power output(it has to regulate the throttle).

In my opinion, making flying wings are kind of a hit or miss. Sometimes you nail it, other times you scrap it and start over. If you continue to have problems, you could try taking a break from it, and try making some real world flying wings like the B2, X-47B, RQ-170, etc.. They have much simpler designs and are easier to get results and learn from them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.