A "KSP Loading..." Preview: The Mun Launch Site (KSP Enhanced Edition)

SQUAD

Coming to KSP Enhanced Edition’s first DLC: the History and Parts Pack - we present you the new Mun Launch Site, not currently available on PC. Console players will be able to select this complex or 3 additional ones(the Woomerang Launchsite, the Dessert Complex and the Island Runway) directly from the VAB or SPH.

A launch site on the Mun that the player doesn't have to set up is stupid. That said:

When KSP Console Edition was announced, I and many others, were concerned that development efforts would be diverted from PC to console, or that KSP would be dumbed down. This console exclusive Mun launch site is a dumbed-down feature that is exclusive to console.

Ugh.

4 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I assume this won't come to PCs, since it kind of breaks the game balance if you can just shave 3-4 km/s off of every mission, and ignore aerodynamics on many missions.

I certainly hope this does not get ported to the PC version, for this exact reason. Or, if it does, I hope that it is at least introduced in a way that allows the possibility for modders to remove it.

11 minutes ago, dlrk said:

A launch site on the Mun that the player doesn't have to set up is stupid. That said:

When KSP Console Edition was announced, I and many others, were concerned that development efforts would be diverted from PC to console, or that KSP would be dumbed down. This console exclusive Mun launch site is a dumbed-down feature that is exclusive to console.

Ugh.

It's an extra feature that needs to be turned on because it's not turned on by default. Why are you complaining that they add more to the game?

7 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I assume this won't come to PCs, since it kind of breaks the game balance if you can just shave 3-4 km/s off of every mission, and ignore aerodynamics on many missions.

Or you can just not enable it? Seriously, this thing is purely optional and you'll never have to use it if you don't want to. 

3 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

I certainly hope this does not get ported to the PC version, for this exact reason. Or, if it does, I hope that it is at least introduced in a way that allows the possibility for modders to remove it.

Considering the fact that all other extra launchsites need to be enabled seperately in Difficulty control, this thing is already optional and only there for people who want to use it. Others can just completely ignore it.

I like it! One way to think of it is as a stock semi-analogue to ExtraPlanetary Launchpads, for building colonies. My suggestion to reduce the OP-ness of this would be to have it only unlock when you send a certain amount of kerbals to that location? To make it seem like a colony has kinda been established.

53 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

Why are you complaining that they add more to the game?

I am not sure you understand the reason for the complaints. There is an enormous difference between launch sites elsewhere on Kerbin (which include exactly as much difficulty for launches as the original launch site), and a launch site on another celestial body with no atmosphere whatsoever and so little gravity that it is actually less efficient to make staged vehicles.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

We present you the new Mun Launch Site, not currently available on PC

Not good. Bad even, very bad. If Squad begins releasing DLCs that break the game balance and ruin the game for the rest of us I'm leaving. Not to mention the gigantic change in gameplay this will cause. Please @SQUAD, don't do this on PC.

2 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

and a launch site on another celestial body with no atmosphere whatsoever and so little gravity that it is actually less efficient to make staged vehicles.

True. The Mun's gravity though makes getting off of it kinda easy, but this will actually be worse as you'll have to use more fuel

I gotta admit that the outpost infrastructure in the video looked pretty cool.  If only we had some dedicated stock parts to construct such an interconnected base on other planets/moons while keeping a low total part count in the physics bubble. :wink:

Personally, I won't be using this feature if it comes to the PC version, and hopefully it can be toggled off in the settings.  But as long as it can be toggled off, I still hold to my prior statement that it doesn't affect my gameplay if others do in fact use it. Meh.

Edited by Raptor9
grammer

47 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

It's an extra feature that needs to be turned on because it's not turned on by default. Why are you complaining that they add more to the game?

Or you can just not enable it? Seriously, this thing is purely optional and you'll never have to use it if you don't want to. 

Considering the fact that all other extra launchsites need to be enabled seperately in Difficulty control, this thing is already optional and only there for people who want to use it. Others can just completely ignore it.

I'm happy to ignore it, and it really doesn't matter much to me personally, but I feel like the challenge of just reaching orbit as a new player is one of the best parts of KSP, and this could potentially undermine that.

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

but I feel like the challenge of just reaching orbit as a new player is one of the best parts of KSP, and this could potentially undermine that.

Same. You're supposed to reach the Mun, not just launch from it with your craft. 

Still really against having a Mun launch site unless you moved the whole KSC there like in Alien Space Programs, or you had to bring the base there yourself and set it up and account for mining ore and stuff.

I like the design of the base alright, but like the other launch sites there's no VAB! There should be a VAB or some kind of rocket-storage building on all of the launch sites.

If it really is a console exclusive, then alright, fine, I don't care too much. But that's just because it doesn't affect me personally. The arguments against a mun launch site (which I've mentioned before and which was discussed in one of the previous KSP Loading...s) still apply to console as well as PC.

If Squad is interesting in adding launch sites to other bodies, why not make a real expansion pack out of it? Involving actual base building, refining of resources, etc. Like a boosted version of Extraplanetary Launchpads, but letting the user eventually place real PQSCity buildings and use other worlds as space centers.

Edited by GregroxMun

1 minute ago, GregroxMun said:

Still really against having a Mun launch site unless you moved the whole KSC there like in Alien Space Programs, or you had to bring the base there yourself and set it up and account for mining ore and stuff.

I like the design of the base alright, but like the other launch sites there's no VAB! There should be a VAB or some kind of rocket-storage building on all of the launch sites.

It's certainly controversial, no denying that, but in my opinion it'll be really cool to see it. It'll be cheaty though, as you could also launch like a rover skycrane from there and just explore more of the Mun to get a bunch of science, but we'll see once the update comes out

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.