Autopilot choice left side of nav ball?

What is it that unlocks the various autopilot pointer modes that appear on the left side of the nav ball?  Are they called autopilot pointers or what?  I thought I had used them on a few flights but now all I have is prograde and retrograde.

when I set a maneuver node the blue heading bug shows up on the nav ball but not an autopilot choice to the left of the nav ball.

does the tracking station have to be fully upgraded?  Does the space craft need certain equipment on board?

i don't seem to understand how the search function works here on the forum, I would have expected to find this question already asked and answered.  If that is so, I would be grateful if someone had a tip for me on that as well.

thanks for the help!

You’re looking for Stability Assist System (SAS), and the default key to turn it on is “T”.

EDIT: I didn’t read the question correctly, and I apologize for that. But you’re probably using the search right, it’s just that SAS is rarely referred to as “autopilot” on these fora; we tend to use the actual name. So don’t feel bad about that.

Edited by pincushionman

If you're in Career mode, the six buttons on the left side are unlockable by your Kerbal gaining XP from missions. So keep playing with one Kerbal and you can max it out and get all six. 

5 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If you're in Career mode, the six buttons on the left side are unlockable by your Kerbal gaining XP from missions. So keep playing with one Kerbal and you can max it out and get all six. 

Ah, so maybe I have a pilot that has the ability and he is not the one flying this mission?

that is probably it...

2 minutes ago, Elroy Jetson said:

Ah, so maybe I have a pilot that has the ability and he is not the one flying this mission?

that is probably it...

All pilots have the basic “hold direction” mode when they start; no other kerbals unlock any modes ever.

Only the pilot's stars count for Kerbals. The game will take the best pilot, doesn't matter where they're sitting. Or the best probe core. Essentially all you need is SOMETHING that will give you those modes.

If you have a pilot and an Octo2, and reaction wheels of course, you'll be able to do anything a level 3 pilot can do. No antenna necessary.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Also in the VAB, probe cores say what kinds of stability assist they have. If in doubt use the octo2, it does everything.

I believe the OKTO2 does not do target mode (or have a reaction wheel).  HECS2 is the big one that does everything.  The Remote Guidance Unit ones and the Mk 2 drone core do everything too.

To be really clear: whenever you test in sandbox mode, you always get all SAS modes -- no matter which kerbal or which probe core is controlling your craft.

Otherwise, in career mode, with a pilot: the SAS modes gradually unlock with the number of stars that your pilot has.

If you are using a probe core instead of pilots: the SAS modes gradually unlock with higher tech probe cores.

I'm still perplexed by this, thanks for the help, I still don't know for sure what is going on.

I know I created a Minmus lander ship with the OKTO and I used a scientist to fly it.  Now when I load that craft I get only the sas indicator.  No prograde or retro or any of the other sas mode indicators like maneuver.

i have been doing the docking tutorial so I know I am seeing everything there, but I thought I had more than only the basic sas indicator.  How many stars does a kerbal need in order to show the various tiers of sas modes?

is using a scientist with level two stars and the OKTO the same as a pilot with two stars so I should be seeing SAS and stability, pro and retro, and for level 2 target and maneuver?  I found this info in the game under the KSPedia.

Edited by Elroy Jetson

4 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

I believe the OKTO2 does not do target mode (or have a reaction wheel).  HECS2 is the big one that does everything.  The Remote Guidance Unit ones and the Mk 2 drone core do everything too.

Oops you're right I always forget about that as I never really use those.

34 minutes ago, Elroy Jetson said:

is using a scientist with level two stars and the OKTO the same as a pilot with two stars

In short, No.

Longer winded, Using an Okto is like using a pilot with 0 stars. Scientists and engineers on your ship don't help with that. Though they do allow some control outside of comms range, they do not allow you to do things a level 0 pilot could not do.

Edited by 5thHorseman

2 hours ago, Elroy Jetson said:

How many stars does a kerbal need in order to show the various tiers of sas modes?

is using a scientist with level two stars and the OKTO the same as a pilot with two stars so I should be seeing SAS and stability, pro and retro, and for level 2 target and maneuver?

In career mode, only pilots get SAS abilities from experience, not scientists or engineers. If you want to send a mission out without an experienced pilot on board you will need to add a more advanced probe core to your ship. You can check what abilities the probe cores have by right-clicking the part in the VAB parts menu and looking at the extra box that opens up on the right. It will have a list of SAS abilities for that probe such as prograde/retrograde, hold target, etc...

When scientists get more stars by leveling up their experience it makes them process data in the science lab faster, and when engineers level up their experience it makes them process ore more efficiently when operating drills and ISRU ore converters. That's what their extra stars mean. When pilots get more stars from their experience it allows them to add more SAS abilities such as the ones you are looking for.

I must have been having a kerbal moment or something?  I still don't understand what or how I got confused.  

Anyway, I had enough science points to upgrade the tree so I can now use the OKTO2.  The only things I know for sure is that I was using a scientist and not a pilot.  This was so I could do more science on my two Minmus.  I must have played the docking tutorial so many time that I was beginning to think I had always had the top tier SAS options?  Stupid brain!

Thanks for all the tips on this one.  Don't feel like you are helping an old man across the street, unless that makes you feel good, in that case you probably are. ;)

Now, is there anything I can do to speed up the XP of my kerbonauts?

1 hour ago, Elroy Jetson said:

Now, is there anything I can do to speed up the XP of my kerbonauts?

Go more places. Each place you go only counts once. Basically, plant a flag on mun and minmus, anybody in physics range gets credit so you only have to do it with one kerbal per vessel. And then leave Kerbins SOI and come back, that will get those Kerbals to 3 stars. To get any further you have to go to other planets.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Experience

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.