Does it have the reentry effect when you go fast enough in real life??

The Spac

Just now, GoatRider said:

If you go fast enough IRL, your plane will heat up. The SR-71, for example, had gaps in the fuselage fuel tanks, and fuel would leak out until it got up to speed and closed up the gaps.

However, your plane can actually burn up and be destroyed. The SR-71 was made of special heat resistant materials that prevented this, but the average aircraft isn't made of that and will just turn into a fireworks show

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

However, your plane can actually burn up and be destroyed. The SR-71 was made of special heat resistant materials that prevented this, but the average aircraft isn't made of that and will just turn into a fireworks show

Right, but I'm not particularly worried about my Cessna 172 hitting Mach 3.2

1 hour ago, The Spac said:

So, say you go fast (1000+m/s in ksp), and it's basically reentry but not going down. Is it like that in real life? Or is it just because that's what KSP considers reentry speeds

You dont even have to go all that fast to heat up. The exterior of the Concorde(which only went to about mach 2-2.5? as opposed to Spacecraft which get up to at least around mach 20) actually got up to about 120 degrees Fahrenheit if I remember right. They had to make a a paint specifically for the Concorde so it would stay white. Scott Manley also did a video on heat shields: 

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It would heat up your plane, but you wouldn't get much visible plasma around. 

Indeed, heating still occurs IRL, but you would have to be going much faster than in KSP to see plasma. Not typical for a hypersonic plane, but common on reentering orbital spacecraft.

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It would heat up your plane, but you wouldn't get much visible plasma around. 

This, 3600 km/h is SR-71 speed, its also the speed of stuff like artillery shells, falcon 9 first stage is up to twice as fast but it need an braking burn to not overheat. 
As I understand superheavy or the BFR first stage is planned to not need an braking burn as its can handle higher temperatures. 

Still leaves the issue with engine parts and other stuff in the back and guess they use braking burn in the start. 

Don't think you get plasma, it also depend on air density, one ABM rocket got it during accent as it accelerated so fast after launch. 
---
KSP increase the heating and effects because the low orbital speed. This is an issue as it makes aerobraking other places than Duna challenging, if you come in with an ship 2km/s faster than orbital speed it simply explodes as its almost double the orbital speed and your speed grows because of gravity in low orbit Duna low gravity makes this works there, doing this on Eve or Laythe don't work well. 

haN9M8Vl.png
Zmb10mAl.png
Love how the rear heatshields fold back, main issue was aerodynamic stability. 

Edited by magnemoe

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Don't think you get plasma, it also depend on air density, one ABM rocket got it during accent as it accelerated so fast after launch. 

The Sprint ABM :

The Sprint was a two-stage, solid-fuel anti-ballistic missile (ABM), armed with a W66 enhanced radiation thermonuclear warhead. It was designed to intercept incoming reentry vehicles (RV) after they had descended below about 60 kilometres (37 mi) altitude, where the thickening air stripped away any decoys or radar reflectors and exposed the RV to observation by the radar. As the RV would be travelling at about 5 miles (8.0 km) per second, Sprint had to have phenomenal performance to perform an interception in the few seconds before the RV reached its target.

Sprint accelerated at 100 g, reaching a speed of Mach 10 in 5 seconds. Such a high velocity at relatively low altitudes created skin temperatures up to 6200 °F (3400 °C), requiring an ablative shield to dissipate the heat.[1][2]The high temperature caused a plasma to form around the missile, requiring extremely powerful radio signals to reach it for guidance.

Edited by SuperFastJellyfish
Bold is mine

Why is this a question? We know reentry effects happen, have you never seen a "shooting star"?

You think they'd do that if they were just waltzng along at 5 m/s?

Of course the effects we see at high velocity in the atmosphere happen if you have a high enough velocity in the atmosphere... what is in doubt here?

The velocity required to see the effects is just much lower in KSP...

242C915800000578-0-image-a-9_14190253366

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2881301/Orion-astronaut-s-point-view-Nasa-reveals-video-historic-entry-capsule-arrives-Florida-base.html

Disclaimer - I wouldnt normally distribute links to "The Daily Mail" but they had the picture I wanted. Please do not rely on it as a robust source of scientific data.

Here's the video that picture is from(NASA Johnson's Youtube page instead of the Daily mail...to save from having to click to that site).  Pretty wicked.   :)

The video begins 10 minutes before Orion's 11:29 a.m. EST splashdown in the Pacific Ocean, just as the spacecraft was beginning to experience Earth's atmosphere. Peak heating from the friction caused by the atmosphere rubbing against Orion's heat shield comes less than two minutes later, and the footage shows the plasma created by the interaction change from white to yellow to lavender to magenta as the temperature increases. The video goes on to show the deployment of Orion’s parachutes and the final splash as it touches down.

Edited by SuperFastJellyfish

On 3/2/2019 at 5:27 AM, Duck McFuddle said:

Of course! Air resistance will heat up your plane. Just like @GoatRider said, the SR-71 was actually designed with this in mind.

"Air resistance"? I guess. Depends on what you mean by that.

There is a misconception that high-speed aerodynamic heating is caused by friction. Most of it is actually caused by compression of the air in shock waves.

15 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Disclaimer - I wouldnt normally distribute links to "The Daily Mail" but they had the picture I wanted. Please do not rely on it as a robust source of scientific data.

From its close relative.

we-are-the-mutants-moon-4.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.