The Number Wars 2: Count to +100 or -100!

Put your money where your mouth is  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What's your team?

6 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

-57 (-)

Tell me more about spaceplanes so i can steal borrow the information for my own spaceplanes. So far, all I know is "center of lift behind center of mass", "landing gear right behind center of mass", and the engine setup you mentioned.

-58 -

Well...

1) Reduce drag as much as possible. Use Vernors instead of 4 way RCS and have a pointy nose, use the inline Mk1 and Mk2 ports.

2) Have enough engine to get past 400m/s. HOWEVER YOU CAN. Seriously, somebody made a SSTO with a pair of SRBs attached.

3) After 400m/s you get this burst of power from your RAPIERs. If you have enough engine, you can ascend at maybe 15-20 degrees, if not, at around 5 to 10.

4). Ignite space-only engines (Terriers, nuclear) as low as possible. On Kerbin that's around 18km. You can find out by fiddling with the slider or waiting for ISP to be nearly 100%.

5) Switch RAPIER mode as late as possible, because air-breathing is so much more efficient. Around 23-25km depending on your intake air.

Edited by fulgur

Just now, LittleBitMore said:

Kewl. In which case, continue while I subtract another number.

-61 (-)

-62 -
Also try a Mk1 spaceplane with two RAPIERs & a nuclear for your first SSTO. It makes it easier. Maybe 4 if you can't get the profile right, that's definitely overkill though.

Just now, fulgur said:

-62 -
Also try a Mk1 spaceplane with two RAPIERs & a nuclear for your first SSTO. It makes it easier. Maybe 4 if you can't get the profile right, that's definitely overkill though.

-63 (-)

As for liquid-fuel and oxidizer ratios for the RAPIER tanks, should I keep it at normal (maximum oxidizer) or lower the oxidizer a bit?

Just now, LittleBitMore said:

-63 (-)

As for liquid-fuel and oxidizer ratios for the RAPIER tanks, should I keep it at normal (maximum oxidizer) or lower the oxidizer a bit?

-64 -

Usually I just have low amounts of oxidizer - usually I run out during circularisation - unless I want to land on the Mun or Minmus. That's for nuclear craft of course.

Here's one of my earliest SSTOs: https://kerbalx.com/fulgur/Starchaser-II

2 minutes ago, fulgur said:

-64 -

Usually I just have low amounts of oxidizer - usually I run out during circularisation - unless I want to land on the Mun or Minmus. That's for nuclear craft of course.

Here's one of my earliest SSTOs: https://kerbalx.com/fulgur/Starchaser-II

I'll have to try that tomorrow. But, I think I'm gonna go to bed soon, it's 4AM here.

-65 (-)

Edited by LittleBitMore
Added number

-68 -

4 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

Maybe tomorrow (night, probably). We got 80 numbers today. that's a lot. We should feel proud.

-67 (-)

Not enough though they'll keep on wearing it down.

Just now, fulgur said:

-68 -

Not enough though they'll keep on wearing it down.

-69 (-)

True, but keep in mind I'm also really tired and I'm not in a point in life where I can be nocturnal.

Ergo, without further ado, I go to bed now, and I'll maybe see you tomorrow?