Jump to content
  • 1

Rocket cars?


Stormpilot
 Share

Question

i need help with rocket cars!

I tried to first make a jet car. it was awesome capable of going up to 200 M/S, looked cool oh! it could also fly because of the large spoiler.

i then tried to make a rocket car and failed every time. any ideas? :0.0: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Welcome to the KSP forums @STORMPILOTkerbalkind, you've certainly found a very Kerbal way to get into the game.

How fast were you going when your rocket car failed? At some point it simply won't be possible to overcome even the most minor instability caused by steering wobble before parts of your vehicle slam into the ground. And even if that doesn't do you in, atmospheric heating will probably start to explode things if you aren't using spaceplane parts. At the highest speeds KSP can't even process interactions with the ground consistently.

If you don't mind construction spoilers, this video by Stratzenblitz75 gives you an idea of what's possible.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1

You are probably going so fast that the slightest bump will cause you to flip out of control. I tried to do this as well with a similar result. This would probably work if you were driving out on the North Pole were it is flat. But that also means you would have to fly your car over via a cargo plane, which can be annoying.

Hence my post in the “Placeable launch sites” begging for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1
1 hour ago, Duck McFuddle said:

This would probably work if you were driving out on the North Pole were it is flat. But that also means you would have to fly your car over via a cargo plane, which can be annoying.

Or, given the fact we just want a flat 'lake bed' to run on, Alt-f12'ing the car up there is a completely acceptable method for doing so, even if you are RP'ing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

i then tried to make a rocket car and failed every time. any ideas? :0.0: 

Moar Boosters! :)

You are probably blowing up the gears. Use the heaviest ones, I don't think anything else will withhold the stress. And you need some wings with the lift going down to keep the thing on the ground. You probably will need to use the wingtips with surface controls, and trim them to force down (and you will need to relieve some pressure as you speed up to prevent destroying the wheels).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Or, given the fact we just want a flat 'lake bed' to run on, Alt-f12'ing the car up there is a completely acceptable method for doing so, even if you are RP'ing. 

Are you sure you’re not thinking of HyperEdit or VesselMover?

I’m pretty sure you’d still have to drop it from orbit if you use Alt-F12

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 minute ago, FleshJeb said:

Are you sure you’re not thinking of HyperEdit or VesselMover?

Quite possibly, but, upon reflection, I believe I saw this in a Manley video.  I think he makes a quicksave, and leaving the game open, he edits the lat and lon (and probably altitude) of the vessel in the quick save, then reloads it.    It will then place the vehicle on the ground on the caps.  I know I've done it with a stock solution, but it's been a while 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Quite possibly, but, upon reflection, I believe I saw this in a Manley video.  [,,,]

There's an easy and automated way to do that if you are using 1.4 KSP: Firespitter has a part called "FS3WL Water Launch System" (fsmovecraftgadget) that automatically moves your craft to the desired location at launch.

All you need to do is to create a file with the data, select the file on the part, and voilà. You are there, no mater where (interesting explosions wait for you if you don't mind the colliders).

That part is working on the latest Firespitter. I'm using right now. The 'North Polish" is a preset, by the way. :) 

note: The part works, but the coordinates are completely screwed up on KSP 1.6.1. :/

note2: If using Vessel Mover, turn off damages before moving the craft. The wheels are getting destroyed on my vessel on drop. [You need to use Place Vessel, not Drop vessel. Duh. :P )

Edited by Lisias
notes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/2/2019 at 6:46 AM, Gargamel said:

bed

Huh...

On 3/2/2019 at 4:59 PM, bewing said:

With Alt-F12, you generally use some combination of SetOrbit and infinite fuel to get above the destination and then deorbit yourself and land.

I all ready know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/2/2019 at 4:59 PM, bewing said:

With Alt-F12, you generally use some combination of SetOrbit and infinite fuel to get above the destination and then deorbit yourself and land.

I all ready know.

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

no clue

???

On 3/2/2019 at 2:34 PM, Lisias said:

There's an easy and automated way to do that if you are using 1.4 KSP: Firespitter has a part called "FS3WL Water Launch System" (fsmovecraftgadget) that automatically moves your craft to the desired location at launch.

All you need to do is to create a file with the data, select the file on the part, and voilà. You are there, no mater where (interesting explosions wait for you if you don't mind the colliders).

That part is working on the latest Firespitter. I'm using right now. The 'North Polish" is a preset, by the way. :) 

note: The part works, but the coordinates are completely screwed up on KSP 1.6.1. :/

note2: If using Vessel Mover, turn off damages before moving the craft. The wheels are getting destroyed on my vessel on drop. [You need to use Place Vessel, not Drop vessel. Duh. :P )

Sounds good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...