KSP Skill Levels

GRS

@GRS, I'd say ( can't think of the name right now) but the Mun 5? As in from Kerbin to Mun to Minmus to Duna then Ike (irs of course but still was proud of that)

Eve will definitely be my best mission by far, i've put over 200 hours in it im sure

mainly i'm proud of my vessles, i retired this one but it worked really well

Wg5jxcy.png

13 minutes ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

@GRS, I'd say ( can't think of the name right now) but the Mun 5? As in from Kerbin to Mun to Minmus to Duna then Ike (irs of course but still was proud of that)

Eve will definitely be my best mission by far, i've put over 200 hours in it im sure

mainly i'm proud of my vessles, i retired this one but it worked really well

Wg5jxcy.png

Nice...Really Nice, i understand how frustrating Asymetrical launches really are, My "one of the best" creation is known for being Asymetrical (I call it "Sheep v3"...don't ask), lets see how big the whole thing might be (your Eve rocket, whatever you call it). (I'm going to actually get my CRAFT heavier if it's the Centurion family)

Spoiler

Also if you want to ping someone...write "@" then write the name and choose the user you wish to ping, after you finished, put some symbols and such.

Edited by GRS

Just now, GRS said:

lets see how big the whole thing might be

that's what she sa-... okay im not gonna make a joke about that

you're gonna think im crazy and it's completely overkill because i'm doing a straight up approach (i got lazy and frustrated and couldn't be bothered to do a Kerbin orbit so dont hate me)

33K6D9w.png

Looking good...i see no reason to hate anyone else, i understand, but there's no way i'll do it, and i also found a new-ish, not so efficient Ascent :

-Burn linear until Apo reaches 55-56 Km

-Steep turn in 40 Km, keep burning until you're in a near circular Trajectory with Apo of 70-75 Km

Works fine with my Eve Centurion, normal Ascent gave me like 500-1000 m/s extra delta v.

2 minutes ago, GRS said:

-Burn linear until Apo reaches 55-56 Km

-Steep turn in 40 Km, keep burning until you're in a near circular Trajectory with Apo of 70-75 Km

Works fine with my Eve Centurion, normal Ascent gave me like 500-1000 m/s extra delta v.

so this is the alternative between just a straight up approach and orbit then encounter eve approach?

29 minutes ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

so this is the alternative between just a straight up approach and orbit then encounter eve approach?

Its a lazy way to get orbit, to fix my paranoid.

It's not so much about comparing different players as about having levels to progress through.  Like blue belt, brown belt, etc.  I've had the game less than a year now and I'm trying to solidify the Madlad level.  Everything at level 4 pro seems easy now, but it didn't a couple months ago.  We should add a lot more levels of achievements between 3 and 5.  

4a.  Be able to design fly and land 10 of your own unique aircraft.  Be able to land on the tiny island runway or the sea.  

4b.  Be able to say what moving or rotating any wing surface should do before testing it.  

4c.  Get an SSTO to minimus with ISRU and a drill (it's ok if you still don't get radiators and electricity exactly right)

4d.  Use gravity assists to send probes to eeloo, moho, and dres.  Be able to put asteroids into stable orbits of planets or moons.

4e.  Show that you can master all the achievements up to this point without dropping any debris (crashing or leaving something with docking ports in a stable orbit is fine)

4f.  Show that you can master all the achievements up to this point and land everything safely on the runway.  

4g.  Be able to land rockets vertically on Kerbin and Duna without parachutes.

There are probably a lot more achievements to add to the list.  My computer doesn't like >300 parts as much as simple vessels, so I don't invest much into rovers or bases.  Going to Laythe and Eve are my favorite parts

16 hours ago, Reinhart Mk.1 said:

Good one!  

4e.  Be able to launch into hyperbolic orbits which escape the local SOI without circularizing, and create efficient planetary encounters.

2 hours ago, farmerben said:

4e.  Be able to launch into hyperbolic orbits which escape the local SOI without circularizing, and create efficient planetary encounters.

well im 4e like 400 times over cause this is how i did my first successful duna launch, also uhhh idk if im adept enough to be giving advice but to anyone who does this and wants to save a bit of fuel: when you do the straight up approach you encounter the sun's orbit when your AP reaches 82,000,000

Unfortunately, I haven't progressed beyond Skilled yet.  Whenever I get to the point in a career where I start going interplanetary, I stop playing KSP for a little bit.  By the time I get back, I want to upgrade to whatever the new version is (with some of my mods being outdated) and then have to start a new save.  Right now I want to play KSP, but with something like 50 mods installed and a very slow load speed on my computer, it takes 30-45 minutes to even open KSP (assuming it doesn't crash).  By the time the game is open, I either don't have much time to play or have gotten busy playing something else on my Xbox in the meantime.

48 minutes ago, HeliosPh0enix said:

Unfortunately, I haven't progressed beyond Skilled yet.  Whenever I get to the point in a career where I start going interplanetary, I stop playing KSP for a little bit.  By the time I get back, I want to upgrade to whatever the new version is (with some of my mods being outdated) and then have to start a new save.  Right now I want to play KSP, but with something like 50 mods installed and a very slow load speed on my computer, it takes 30-45 minutes to even open KSP (assuming it doesn't crash).  By the time the game is open, I either don't have much time to play or have gotten busy playing something else on my Xbox in the meantime.

Do you mind telling me your mods ???

I've only made it to the Mun and Minmus legitimately (both on console KSP, gotta get those achivements). Planning to make a new career save when new update comes out, and finally move on from just 'you can reach the Mun' stage

3 hours ago, GRS said:

Do you mind telling me your mods ???

Okay so it turns out it's more than 50.  It's 91.  Here are most of the big ones:  [x] Science, AirplanePlus, AntennaHelper, B9PartSwitch, BetterBurnTime, BetterTimeWarp, ConfigurableContainers, CorrectCOL, DistantObjectEnhancement, EasyVesselSwitch, EditorExtensions, EVE, Extrasolar, Firespitter, GroundConstruction, InterstellarFuelSwitch, KAS, KER, Kerbalism, KJR, KIS, Kopernicus, kOS, KWRocketry, MissingHistory, Mk2Expansion, all of the NearFuture packs, OPM, PlanetaryBaseInc, PlanetShine, RCSBuildAid, RealChute, RealPlume, scatterer, StageRecovery, SVE, TooManyOrbits, Trajectories, TweakScale, and KSPInterstallar.  That's not everything.  I realize that I also put together all those mods 2 weeks after 1.6.0 came out and many of them are from previous versions said to still be compatible, so I should probably spend the time to update all of them.  It's possible that one or two of them conflict with each other as well.

1 hour ago, HeliosPh0enix said:

Okay so it turns out it's more than 50.  It's 91.  Here are most of the big ones:  [x] Science, AirplanePlus, AntennaHelper, B9PartSwitch, BetterBurnTime, BetterTimeWarp, ConfigurableContainers, CorrectCOL, DistantObjectEnhancement, EasyVesselSwitch, EditorExtensions, EVE, Extrasolar, Firespitter, GroundConstruction, InterstellarFuelSwitch, KAS, KER, Kerbalism, KJR, KIS, Kopernicus, kOS, KWRocketry, MissingHistory, Mk2Expansion, all of the NearFuture packs, OPM, PlanetaryBaseInc, PlanetShine, RCSBuildAid, RealChute, RealPlume, scatterer, StageRecovery, SVE, TooManyOrbits, Trajectories, TweakScale, and KSPInterstallar.  That's not everything.  I realize that I also put together all those mods 2 weeks after 1.6.0 came out and many of them are from previous versions said to still be compatible, so I should probably spend the time to update all of them.  It's possible that one or two of them conflict with each other as well.

I suggest discarding mods you don't need and don't want...or least needed & wanted, or grab a stronger gaming rig.

The problem with any such list as this is that the reality is that these tasks are not pre-requisites in that order.  Someone does not need to be able to return from Eve before they're skillfull enough to rendezvous and dock.  (iIn fact, being able to rendezvous and dock is almost a necessity before a return from Eve is even something to consider, as the dV requirements of a direct one-stage land and return are enormous compared to doing an orbit rendezvous with detachable lander).

How do you rank someone who can do all the things in level 4 but not all the things in level 3?  That's a very real possibility.  The notion that the skills come in this exact order isn't really true.

A better ranking would be each task is worth a score.  All the tasks you can do get added together.  If the score is above X you are in level Y, etc.  That way a person who can't do an "easier" task but can do a "harder" task isn't getting zero credit for that harder task like this ranking does.

• 2 years later...
On 3/4/2019 at 6:59 PM, herbal space program said:
On 3/4/2019 at 6:56 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Flying with K&M is pretty easy tbh

If you really believe that, then you are not serious about flying.

I've flown very challenging ssta's with kb+m, I probably would prefer it over controller

Bradley Whistance's discord has something like this.

Level 1
Fly a SSTO and land it back at Kerbin

Level 2
Land a SSTO on top of the VAB Helipad
Get to 1 km/s on the surface of Kerbin

Level 3
Get a Kerbal to the surface of Eve and back to Kerbin

Level 4
Land the Jool 5

Level 5
Go to Laythe and back on a single stage, no ISRU

Level 6
[nothing listed officially]

Level 7
Get from the surface of Eve to orbit on a single stage

By this scale I'm probably level 6 since Laythe SSTO is very doable for me and I've done SSTO missions to Laythe + other places. I might try for level 7 but idk if I have the time

Edited by camacju

it's hard to assign difficulty levels in this game, because there are many different skills involved. one may be very good at building efficient launchers, but never gone outside of kerbin's SoI. One may be great at flying ships but lacking any experience at rovers.

I mean, i did a grand tour with kerbalism, as far as i know i am the first. I am probably one of the best in dealing with life support, redundancies, and general management of large ships on complex missions.

i've set up rendez-vous between ships orbiting different planets, reaching a third planets at the same time on escape trajectories.

I also made some really neat rovers because i like exploring surface.

on the other hand, my general approach at throwing stuff into orbit is to strap more engines on it until it lifts. i can optimize pretty well if i need to, but nowhere near the level of some people i've seen.

and i'm barely passable at planes. i can make something that flies, but not well. and don't even get me started about landing on top of the vab.

even concerning rovers, which i consider one of my strenghts, there are distinctions to be made. i make multipurpose rovers, stuff that lands on planets, moves around the planet, take off and goes somewhere else. i'll never enter a rover racing competition, because that's a different skill set.

so, assigning skill levels is mostly pointless beyond broad strokes. Bradley Whistance list is especially egregious there; i could not make either of his level 2, but his level 3 and 4 are too easy to be worth mentioning. if you really want to rate skill, the best way would be to look at one's top achievements, letting them shine in whatever specific thing they decided to shine. that's important: most people, once they get past the basics, will focus on something and ignore the rest. i've seen camacju fly to jool with less deltaV than i need to reach mun, and he's extremely good at it, and i may be able to replicate it if i applied myself to it, but i have no interest in a 30-years trajectory just to reach jool with a ship that will do nothing else. And perhaps camacju has seen my megamissions, and he may be able to replicate it if he really tried, but he has no interest in spending weeks to reach multiple objectives. Meanwhile, my brother has never gone past minmus, but he likes to carry tourists back and forth for minimal cost on reusable launchers; i wouldn't be able to make those missions as cheap as him.

let everyone get their glory, there's no need for rankings

Edited by king of nowhere

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

And perhaps camacju has seen my megamissions, and he may be able to replicate it if he really tried, but he has no interest in spending weeks to reach multiple objectives

Yeah, I would not be able to do a weeks-long mission :D I think my longest ever mission (my grand tour) took three days and I was pretty burnt out by the end of it.

I prefer short and modestly optimized missions with efficient flying which might seem repetitive to some people however

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.