(Poll) What do you think of the enhanced edition(console version) Mun launchsite?

Fraston

What do you think of the Enhanced Edition (Console Version) Mun launchsite?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on this upcoming feature?

• This is great!
    • This is ok.
    • Ehh... could you make it a difficulty option I would be on board.
    • I would prefer if it didn’t exist.
    • Squad, could you not?
    • This is a sin!
    • I will stop playing the game when this update drops because of how awful this is!
    • I don’t really care (some console version users only)
    • I don’t really care( some computer version users only)
    • Other (what is this? Can I paint it in mystery goo and make Kerbals out of it?) (please describe in comments)

I don't know anything about a Mun launchsite for the console version, and at first I was thinking what's the point of that. Plus the concept seems like it breaks the realism of the game a bit, if you can (remember I don't know about the actual plan for this) just choose it from VAB.

But it did get me thinking about launch sites on other worlds, not limited to the Mun.

One reason I never bothered building bases is that their only practical function is as somewhere to put your ISRU set up, so the place becomes just a fuel outpost. But what if you could launch a new vehiclefrom a base.

There would need to be limitations on this, I'm not talking about being able to launch any kind of behemoth from the top of a lander can with a couple solar panels tha you call a base. What came to mind this morning was this.

A part (appears late on in the tech tree) that is a base hub. This would have two functions.

1. Creates raw materials and manufacturing for parts.

2. Provides a launch pad.

In addition it might have limited ISRU gear.

The base hub is an object of a reasonable mass and size for its function, say around 30 tons, and has to flown to the place that you want to set it up. Once you've flown it to the planet of you choice, you then can connect to it (it has some docking ports ready for expansion) and anything else you want (accomodation, fuel storage, power, additional ISRU etc.).

Once in place, the base hub's launch pad can be placed anywhere not occupied by other parts, up to a maximum distance (say 100m) of the hub.

With this done the player can then use the ISRU gear to produce materials for parts and then manufacture them, following the same flow as the creation of fuel. The launch pad can then have "designs" (ships from the VAB and Hanger) sent to it, up to a maximum launch tonnage, given that this will be a smaller pad than at the KSC.

I don't know what other peoples thoughts on this would be and I'm sure there are plenty of roughness in the details, but the thought occured to me while getting ready for work and I thought I'd mention it.

Right... must get to work.

Edited by purpleivan

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

The poll is missing a critical option: 

[X] : there is nowhere near enough information on which to base an opinion yet, so I'm reserving judgement. 

Then mark It as other....

I don't see why anyone would be opposed to it.  I think it's nice to see the console players getting something the PC players aren't, what with all the crap they've had to put up with.

I doubt they could add anything to the console version that the PC version won't have a mod for a week later.

The curmudgeons kicking up a fuss over it in the announcement thread are best ignored anyway. The only motivation (and no other reasonable explanation has been provided thus far) for complaining about a nifty new shovel being added to the sandbox is just pure spite, with hamfisted one-note arguments concocted post facto to justify their feelings.

Kids these days have it too easy! Back in my day we had to haul our Mun bases 15 megameters there and back, climbing out of a gravity well both ways! Bosh flimshaw!

Yeah alright mate, pipe down, I have a rover to test.

I think it is a good idea, however without some kind of prerequisite  it does seem a bit, I don't want to say cheaty, but maybe just too easy.

But with a bit of work required I think it could actually add a lot to the game.

personally I think it would be awesome , and give more sense of achievement . If in order to unlock /build the launchsite we have to first land a certain amount of  fuel  and materials(ie extra crew cabins ,solar panels  batteries etc) within say a 200m radius.

You would need 2 engineers ,1pilot and 1scientist,then after a certain period of time. The game spawns in the launch pad , It then has a limited but reasonable storage of fuel. That can be refuelled once empty. Giving more reasons to have fuel depots.

I feel this would give a good balance and it would not break the challenge of the game too much. As it could be used to launch small vessels and give a bonus for satellite  contracts  etc. But due to the need to ration fuel. Most likely any big ships would still be launched from kerbin. 

I realise maybe this would require a lot of work. But if put on hold and rethought/more developed, Then there's so much that could be done with the moon launch site. And much that it could add to the game in terms of progression /just things to do late game.

Anyway I realise not all will like this kind of thing. So let me know what you guys think.

Edited by mikey117

Voted "other" as well.

I'm not a console KSP player.  In the announcement topic, a console player said he'd rather have a update that improved performance and brought other features recently released on PC KSP.  I'd say that's what I would want on PC as well.  The most recent feature on PC I think was most important was providing stock info for delta-V and TWR.  Recently, we've seen a lot of remodelling of textures for parts.  That's a nice-to-have.  And then we see a mod that's going to do that better.

Squad should be focused on more QoL improvements, like bug fixes, performance improvements.  Better a few more critical parts that will let us make better craft, like RCS quads that can be placed at the 45° angle spots.  And how about career seeing some love?  The current stock career needs a lot of work, especially the sequence of parts unlocks and the relative costs.  A moon launch facility I'd rate at around the same level as part texture revisions, a nice-to-have that should get some effort but not to the exclusion of other more needed improvements, on both PC and console.

I think this is a move by Squad trying to show KSP console players they're not just second-class KSP players.  But a better move would be to do these things the players actually want.  And as it does seem possible to set up console games to allow modding (some other games have it), perhaps that's worth the effort over a moon launch facility.

Edited by Jacke

Here's my dream Mun base. Or any extra-Kerbin base.

• You can set it up yourself. Any time, anywhere. You only need to have all the correct parts on a vessel parked at the location to make a "building."
  • You can also upgrade the buildings in a similar way.
  • These buildings would mostly be modules that mimic KSC. Really all you need is a VAB and a launchpad, but sure maybe it could also have a mission control with world-specific missions that pay more if you complete them with resources at that base. You could also have a storage bin and materials processing center, and for atmosphere worlds a SPH and runway. And maybe a tracking station? But anyway I'm getting outside my "big idea."
  • Any craft landed near enough to the base can be - if you have a storage bin - disassembled (instantly and for free) and all the parts can go in the storage bin. then in the VAB/SPH, you can use ONLY THOSE PARTS to make a new ship. Fuel is also stored.
  • If you have a processing center, you can disassemble those parts into materials that can be used to make new parts.
  • When building a ship in the VAB, parts would be preferred but if you don't have parts, the game would automatically try to use materials, and tell you how many materials and what parts you're short of, so you can decide to bring up more parts, or scrap some of the parts you already have. There should be a "scrap all unneeded parts" option in the VAB to make this easier to manage.

I think that's it. Basically Extraplanetary Launchpads on steroids, integrated into a space-center infrastructure that the player built themselves.

On 3/3/2019 at 10:23 PM, Vanamonde said:

[X] : there is nowhere near enough information on which to base an opinion yet, so I'm reserving judgement. 

Press X to use logic

My first impression was “meh” as it makes little sense to have a facility on the mun. However, in the original ksp loading  thread, the sensible consensus seems to have been reached that if you want to use it, fine, otherwise, you can ignore it. Though I would not really care about it, it does have some appeal (mun base without killer part count), and, if ksp on consoles is to succeed at selling more copies, it has to offer something novel, and I have no problem with the devs trying to do that. At the same time, I will withhold    judgement until the update actually is released.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:41 AM, purpleivan said:

I don't know anything about a Mun launchsite for the console version, and at first I was thinking what's the point of that. Plus the concept seems like it breaks the realism of the game a bit, if you can (remember I don't know about the actual plan for this) just choose it from VAB.

But it did get me thinking about launch sites on other worlds, not limited to the Mun.

One reason I never bothered building bases is that their only practical function is as somewhere to put your ISRU set up, so the place becomes just a fuel outpost. But what if you could launch a new vehiclefrom a base.

There would need to be limitations on this, I'm not talking about being able to launch any kind of behemoth from the top of a lander can with a couple solar panels tha you call a base. What came to mind this morning was this.

A part (appears late on in the tech tree) that is a base hub. This would have two functions.

1. Creates raw materials and manufacturing for parts.

2. Provides a launch pad.

In addition it might have limited ISRU gear.

The base hub is an object of a reasonable mass and size for its function, say around 30 tons, and has to flown to the place that you want to set it up. Once you've flown it to the planet of you choice, you then can connect to it (it has some docking ports ready for expansion) and anything else you want (accomodation, fuel storage, power, additional ISRU etc.).

Once in place, the base hub's launch pad can be placed anywhere not occupied by other parts, up to a maximum distance (say 100m) of the hub.

With this done the player can then use the ISRU gear to produce materials for parts and then manufacture them, following the same flow as the creation of fuel. The launch pad can then have "designs" (ships from the VAB and Hanger) sent to it, up to a maximum launch tonnage, given that this will be a smaller pad than at the KSC.

I don't know what other peoples thoughts on this would be and I'm sure there are plenty of roughness in the details, but the thought occured to me while getting ready for work and I thought I'd mention it.

Right... must get to work.

Both Extraplanetary Launchpads and Ground Construction (which, IIRC, changed its name when it allowed orbital construction) provide parts and game mechanics for this. I like it as long as it's a late tech tree goal. Mun launch sites allow you to disregard aerodynamics when building stuff while also cutting on the need for large boosters to put payloads in orbit. But I don't see the point on having that available from the start

I've seen a bit of confusion on the subject, so I think it needs clarifying.

The Munar launch site isn't a console exclusive, it's just coming to console first.

"With the History and Parts Pack you will also have the ability to launch your crafts from 4 additional complexes: the Woomerang Launchsite, the Dessert Complex, the Island Runway and a brand new Mun Launchsite, not currently available on PC!"

45 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

Both Extraplanetary Launchpads and Ground Construction (which, IIRC, changed its name when it allowed orbital construction) provide parts and game mechanics for this. I like it as long as it's a late tech tree goal. Mun launch sites allow you to disregard aerodynamics when building stuff while also cutting on the need for large boosters to put payloads in orbit. But I don't see the point on having that available from the start

I'd heard of the Extra Planetary launchpads, but never took a look at it. Agreed that in career it should close to, if not at the top of the tech tree.

1 hour ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Why is people acting so this needs to be at top of the tech tree or it should be purchased with funds or that it should be toggleable?Just treat it like the f12 menu whoever wants to use it use it and who doesn't don't use it.

Couldn't that be applied to anything beyond the basics of rocketry though, e.g. ISRU.

The idea (an extension of the fuel generating ISRU already in the game) was to add offworld launch pads in a way that is consistent with the rest of the game, and has some sense of realism about it.

If you wanted to use it straight away, then play in sandbox mode, and if you don't want to use it... don't.

Same as the rest of the game.

11 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I've seen a bit of confusion on the subject, so I think it needs clarifying.

The Munar launch site isn't a console exclusive, it's just coming to console first.

"With the History and Parts Pack you will also have the ability to launch your crafts from 4 additional complexes: the Woomerang Launchsite, the Dessert Complex, the Island Runway and a brand new Mun Launchsite, not currently available on PC!"

To make the assumption that it is coming to PC at all is reading a bit too far into the tea leaves.   All we know right now is the statement "Not currently available on PC".  While some could read that it is coming to PC, I would think it's more of a selling point for the console version.  To make any assumptions otherwise is jumping the gun. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.