[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Also, how does this affect the memory usage of the game?

I don't have exact numbers for the current memory differences. But as stock KSP continues adding revamped parts I suspect the memory usage balance will shift in Restock's favor. 

The revamped stock parts tend to have much higher resolution textures, and in many cases several variant textures. For instance, the old stock 1.25m fuel tanks have 3.5MB of textures, while the new stock versions have 13.5MB. In Restock those fuel tanks take up 6.6MB of space on disk*. The 2.5m fuel tanks were about 5MB and are now 21MB, for Restock, they are about 11MB, I think (Restock is much more aggressive about sharing assets, like fuel tank end caps, or hatch models and textures, so it can be a little bit harder to figure out exactly how much resources a given part uses).

And based on many of the recent stock revamp previews that trend will only continue (consider that many of the tiniest parts in the game have been previewed with high, resolution, legible labels visible on the part, that kind of thing requires a lot of texture space).

*Texture space on disk isn't necessarily the same as space in RAM, but they should be proportional.

5 minutes ago, Cruesoe said:

You mentioned this removes some of the stock parts so may break mods based on them, but..

How does this play with TechTree mods, are they likely to still work as they move parts around? 

Tech tree position should be independent of any changes made by Restock. If a mod moves a stock part in the tech tree, and Restock replaces that part, then the Restock version of the part will still appear in the new tech tree node.

This isn't "removing" the stock parts in total, it removes the model and texture files for some of the stock parts, but the stock part config file is still there. That config file is what is being modified by Restock, and by any tech tree mod, since Restock doesn't change the tech tree location in any part's config file, it won't have any effect on tech tree position.

Edited by DMagic

8 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Also, on behalf of Tyko and I, I apologise wholeheartedly for the stress and pain caused to the art contributors for this project... I think between us we officially opened over 200 issues against the parts, not counting the countless other deliberations we raised in conversation. Thanks for putting up with us team!

Yeah there was many a morning where I wanted to remotely throttle Pood and Tyko for daring to report relevant bugs. 

The mod is totally better for it though and it shows the importance of having a quality, involved QA team. They had so much good input.

7 hours ago, Jacke said:

Wow!  Congrats on this great achievement.

I'm wondering how two other mods will interact with this, particularly as they respectively also fill in a lot.

While they both cover a lot more, @Snark's Missing History has a number of fill-in 1.875m parts.  And RLA Reborn, currently maintained by @linuxgurugamer, has a number of 0.625m parts as well as many alternates LF engines.

There is some cross mod integration to work on yet.

6 hours ago, MuchozolF said:

"All rights reserved"

I wish you guys a long reign! Maybe Squad will wanna buy :D

Edit: What about Real Plume? I assume it's a good idea to get rid of it for now? Sorry, if it's not the right place to ask this question.

Edit2: I found some minor bugs. Entry costs on the first research node got all bamboozled in my career playthrough, when I unlocked these parts, no funds were drained from my account. Curiously, all the other nodes behaved perfectly normal. In the second screenshot, you can see some Z-fighting in natural habitat, as KSP loaded two models simultaneously. This one fixed itself after clicking the little change variant icon. 

So yeah, no biggie, I thought I'd drop it here anyway.

Edit3: And of course, there is the elephant in the room: PaRaChUtEs aRe sLiGtHly tOo NarrRow aT tHe BaSe! How dare you!

I'll look into the parachute thing (please raise an issue on GitHub, it really helps!). The other two, things in R&D, I don't see this being us but will investigate.

5 hours ago, sharpspoonful said:

Congrats on a release! Do you see maintaining this becoming a huge slog every update?

It could be depending on how many useless variants squad adds per update.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Absolutely amazing.

Would you like me to take care of the CKAN stuff for you?

Edit: Pinging @Nertea

I've got a PR ready to go, was just waiting to make sure nothing blew up for a span of hours before submitting it.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Question: will the reskinning be done for the new parts which are made as KSP moves forward?

Also, how does this affect the memory usage of the game?

I hope so, and not much. Basically we clean out a fair amount of assets and then replace them. The replaced assets are on the order of 30% larger, with a larger amount of variant textures.

2 hours ago, JayJohnson said:

Is anyone else having trouble with deployable parts? The 1x6 and 2x3 solar panels in particular need to be retracted and extended again to point in the proper direction, only works with the retractable ones obviously:7AF9892C126E324CB19C40F49397B8F7D6132460

AF3053F7FCB5C6F8A31FE7A46FE714126AAA8C4E

Please file a bug report on github. I know the fix for this, I’ll have to relay it to @Beale 

I should note: unfortunately fixing this will cause the same error with any vessels saved with the current version of Restock. I’ll include some instructions to edit saves to manually fix it though

Edited by cineboxandrew

32 minutes ago, Nertea said:
6 hours ago, MuchozolF said:

Edit3: And of course, there is the elephant in the room: PaRaChUtEs aRe sLiGtHly tOo NarrRow aT tHe BaSe! How dare you!

I'll look into the parachute thing (please raise an issue on GitHub, it really helps!). The other two, things in R&D, I don't see this being us but will investigate.

I'll log it...there are two different issues happening. On the .625m version the chute is attaching a bit too high above the top of the capsule and it is causing a slight separation that looks like a size difference from that angle. On the 1.25m the chute is a bit smaller than 1.25m in diameter.

Thanks @MuchozolF

EDIT - issues logged

Edited by Tyko

41 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

Please file a bug report on github. I know the fix for this, I’ll have to relay it to @Beale 

I should note: unfortunately fixing this will cause the same error with any saves made with the current version of Restock. I’ll include some instructions to edit saves to manually fix it though

Filing the bug report right now, luckily I didn't make any saves with ReStock

31 minutes ago, JayJohnson said:

Filing the bug report right now, luckily I didn't make any saves with ReStock

Apologies! Bad bug to sneak through testing, we'll get to it as soon as we can. 

For anyone using mods that are broken by the blacklisting of Squad models and textures, feel free to put me in contact with the mod authors/maintainers.  There's a simple file that can be added to those mods to prevent things from breaking.  On the other hand, they might consider adding patches to use the (better looking) ReStock assets if available.  I'm working on a wiki page so that this can be self-service in the future, but in the mean time I'm happy to work through it with anyone.

Looks just as awesome in-game as expected from the previews.

I'm finding a small bug in a similar vein to the misaligned solar panels, engines on previously-launched ships have their shrouds attached:PGTcDKD.jpg

As far as I understand from poking around in save files, it's to do with different values for "activejettisonName" in the engine's "ModuleJettison", e.g. an existing Spark engine (as in the screenshot) has "activejettisonName = Shroud" while a newly-launched one has "activejettisonName = ShroudSparkBasic" (and no shroud).

Besides the solar panel issue pointed out above, I'm seeing engine shrouds still attached to vessels already in flight from a career save. Terrier and Sparks in this photo, but the Skiffs were okay. None of these were whitelisted.

qrcmNlm.png

I'm also seeing a problem with the Communotron DTS-M1, which I did whitelist to clear an error from another mod (I whitelisted the directory). I have a couple retracted and the animation to deploy the Restock model when the vessel loads. But the part still thinks it's retracted. I click extend antenna and the old model unfurls over the restock model. Retracting the antenna retracts the old model, but leaves the new model extended.

These two statements are contradictory:

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

Do not affect gameplay or part balance

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

Q: Did you change aerodynamics/colliders/drag cubes? [Buoyancy/Thermal properties?]
A: We minimized the impact as much as possible. Let us know if you have a concern.

I assume volumes and surface areas may be significantly different.

Just in case anyone was thinking of allowing these parts to count as Stock for challenges, physically they're only Restock-ISH.

2 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

These two statements are contradictory:

I assume volumes and surface areas may be significantly different.

Just in case anyone was thinking of allowing these parts to count as Stock for challenges, physically they're only Restock-ISH.

If a stock part has a drag cube of like x,y,z, the restock part is hardcoded to have the same.

It's designed to be purely visual in every case given. Why not actually do the diligence and let them know your concern before assuming it's true?