[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Oqt1 Oh. My bad. Sorry about that. That would be very nice, yes... But Nertea is one who fiercely upholds design standards. He's not going to make parts that don't fit the overall design theme that Restock is built on.

Would it be possible to do something so when I installed the mod. I would have both vanilla and mod assets?

reason..

I use the grabbing hook externaly most times. so like that it's protectected with the faring /vanilla

I'v experienced issues when making rovers. that some part might be bigger than just the visuals. So they are scaping the floor even though no part is touching the floor..

In these cases I would love to be able to use the vanilla parts to avoid these issues..

@Oqt1 oh, so you just want *some* stock parts?... well, you may have to choose *either, or, but not both*... idk... vOv

The geniuses that created ReStock/ReStock+, were kind enuff to realise that replacing *all* the stock parts with their own, would break TONS of other mods that rely on stock files... So they designed in a great way to account for that:

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Asset-Blacklist-and-Whitelist

Edited by Stone Blue

Just now, Oqt1 said:

Would it be possible to do something so when I installed the mod. I would have both vanilla and mod assets?

Something is possible but you'd meet the following new problems and maybe more:

• The Restocked parts would have to be all new and separate parts so you have twice the number of parts in your part catalog. And with all Squad assets loading you'll have bloat (however small) from textures from a hugely redundant set of parts (Restock being the redundant set). Removing the blacklist function in order to facilitate this entirely defeats the optimization mechanic that is a major feature of Restock. (If the Squad assets never get to load in the first place, which is what the blacklist feature does, the game is more efficient than if you went in and deleted stuff.)
  • To convert all of the patch configs from edits into full part configs and to come up with and set all the unique names for the clones of parts would be a mountain (or two) of work. Absolutely nobody is going to do that. And if they do, they're going to unwittingly anger the Restock team.
  • Compatibility patches (from any other mod you may be using) won't auto-magically apply to these separate parts. Many compatibility configs such as Community Tech Tree, TweakScaleor realism-enhancing mods (which target parts precisely) won't just notice them.
9 minutes ago, Oqt1 said:

I'v experienced issues when making rovers. that some part might be bigger than just the visuals. So they are scaping the floor even though no part is touching the floor..

That sounds like there are misaligned or undersized colliders.

Ask around or read back to find how to report an issue, then make that report when you have guidance. It's difficult for a small team to notice every little thing when minding such an ambitious and delicate project as this mod. Your report will be tested and will make it soon enough into a Restock 1.10 release. Far better to hope and wait on this than on someone to do the thing I outlined above.

18 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@Oqt1 oh, so you just want *some* stock parts?... well, you may have to choose *either, or, but not both*... idk... vOv

The geniuses that created ReStock/ReStock+, were kind enuff to realise that replacing *all* the stock parts with their own, would break TONS of other mods that rely on stock files... So they designed in a great way to account for that:

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Asset-Blacklist-and-Whitelist

Yeah im like a giant tech noob.. can you please explain in hooman? :)

34 minutes ago, Oqt1 said:

Yeah im like a giant tech noob.. can you please explain in hooman? :)

uhh... basically you would have to make the fix yourself. Its not hard, but yeah, if you've never done any cfg editing or MM patching... vOv

another relevant page:
https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Restoring-Stock-Parts

As others have said, I just whitelisted the fairing parts for the moment. If you are going to play on new builds of the game with mods you should be ready to do a bit of patching DIY.

Fairing 1.10 posts aside, I love this mod and cannot imagine playing without it now. Thank you to the devs for putting so much effort and time into this :D

3 hours ago, Oqt1 said:

cant install restock+ plus without restock.. :/

Sorry, as per JadeOfMaar comment I may have misunderstood what you are asking?  You want the restock plus parts that aren't in the Making History dlc?

thanks.. gotta see if I can figure that out :)

40 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Sorry, as per JadeOfMaar comment I may have misunderstood what you are asking?  You want the restock plus parts that aren't in the Making History dlc?

I wanted to have access to some vanilla parts even though I have restock mod installed (grabbing unit) + some things that maybe wasents working correctly

hey nertea i was looking over pork jets unmade parts and i seen a variant for the puff engine to be inline instead of radial. were there ever plans for this in the restock mod because it would be really good for early game vacuum engines  since their are very little. bare with me my grammar sucks

Edited by stefan43

53 minutes ago, stefan43 said:

hey nertea i was looking over pork jets unmade parts and i seen a variant for the puff engine to be inline instead of radial. were there ever plans for this in the restock mod because it would be really good for early game vacuum engines  since their are very little. bare with me my grammar sucks

I'd actually love to have an inline puff

3 hours ago, blueskiesspacetechnologies said:

WOW!! This is such an amazing piece of work!! I actually don't play KSP anymore, because it isn't compatible with 1.10, so I have a question for you: are you going to update the mod? Don't blame me if that is super obvious to do: I only have 57 hours of playtime right now, and this is my first update of KSP.

From what I can gather, 1.10 made changes to fairings that broke them in all mods, with no easy way for modders to fix the issue. It sounds like Squad hopes to fix this in a future patch (1.10.1?), and so the restock team is waiting for this before they update the mod.

If any of this info is wrong, I would appreciate being corrected.

Edited by TBenz

3 hours ago, blueskiesspacetechnologies said:

WOW!! This is such an amazing piece of work!! I actually don't play KSP anymore, because it isn't compatible with 1.10, so I have a question for you: are you going to update the mod? Don't blame me if that is super obvious to do: I only have 57 hours of playtime right now, and this is my first update of KSP.

You can keep playing KSP 1.9.1 if you find Restock (or any other mod) essential.

Assuming that you use Steam, it likes to force KSP updates, but you can get earlier versions using Steam's "beta" function. That lets you download any version of KSP. After re-downloading 1.9.1, copy its installation folder somewhere else and then Steam will never touch that folder. KSP is nice because it doesn't use intrusive copy protection. You can have multiple versions of KSP installed in different folders at the same time, each with its own set of mods.

(If you have questions about installing KSP versions, please try a search for something like "steam AND beta", then start a new thread so we don't clutter this mod's thread.)

On 4/30/2020 at 1:08 PM, OnlyLightMatters said:

The work done on the rover wheels is pretty impressive! I also like what you did with the stuctural tubes.

Regarding Restock+ I can see that I have some pending work with the Tweakscale Companion of this AddOn :D

Just wanted to say "Thank you", just discovered your configs, you`ve opened Restock+ and NFSP to me!

In case my previous message got buried

The fairings will be broken until KSP 1.10.1

not saying they will magically work then either, but there is a critical issue that needs to be addressed on KSP's side, so nothing Restock can do until then

that is all

@matiasb - It's not really complicated at all. Your eyes are just glazing over because you think it is complicated, and panic. :P

The most difficult thing in the entire affair is finding out what part has which internal name. To help with that, go to the official wiki, linked at the top of the forum. Then either go to the parts list in the Important Links section, or just use the search function to look up a specific part, for example the Ant engine. Then, in the info box on the right side of that part's page, halfway down, you'll see an entry for "Part configuration: liquidEngineLV-1". That is the name the Ant engine is identified by internally.

So if you want to disable the Restock replacement for the Ant engine, simply find the Restock patch files on your harddisk (as directed in the link you quoted), open the appropriate one, press CTRL+F to bring up the search window, paste or type liquidEngineLV-1 into it, and hit enter. It will take you directly to the section that you need to change. And the change you need to make? Simply type "_disable" right after that name, as the link you quoted shows.

That's it. There's nothing complicated about it. :)