[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

1 hour ago, Norcalplanner said:

And please don't ask the mod authors when it will be updated!

In this case the question wasn't when will be an update, but if there is a need to an update :wink:

I'm sure, there will be a lot of others, who will ask it.

Best way to tell if a mod works or not after an update is to simply test it yourself. Just like you, mod authors have real lives, real families, real jobs, and other obligations and may not be able to immediately test it themselves after an update as they don't have access to said update until the same time you do. And the best way to motivate a mod author; DONATE to their cause! 

19 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

welcome - and just for future reference, part mods (even ones as extensive as ReStock and ReStock+) generally don't need to update for a game update - because they have no plugins (.dll's).

Happy flying!

This is one of the rare exceptions. A lot of parts-only mods are going to be broken due to dropping the older dds texture format. Not this one, but potentially a lot of really old stuff.

10 hours ago, Rocketology said:

Best way to tell if a mod works or not after an update is to simply test it yourself. Just like you, mod authors have real lives, real families, real jobs, and other obligations and may not be able to immediately test it themselves after an update as they don't have access to said update until the same time you do. And the best way to motivate a mod author; DONATE to their cause! 

Certainly the most polite way - not necessarily the best. It's valid to ask if anyone is having problems, and a post in a thread isn't necessarily a demand for the mod author/maintainer to respond. With popular mods like this, asking if there are problems with 1.8 leverages the experience of hundreds of users who visit the thread, and allows for better bug reports. It's all in how the request is phrased. The real issue is treating mod authors/maintainers as humans with real lives, recognizing that they don't owe any of us anything, and being polite and taking some time to review what we post before posting. It's a community, and the more we treat it as such, the better it is for everyone.

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

This is one of the rare exceptions. A lot of parts-only mods are going to be broken due to dropping the older dds texture format. Not this one, but potentially a lot of really old stuff.

Certainly the most polite way - not necessarily the best. It's valid to ask if anyone is having problems, and a post in a thread isn't necessarily a demand for the mod author/maintainer to respond. With popular mods like this, asking if there are problems with 1.8 leverages the experience of hundreds of users who visit the thread, and allows for better bug reports. It's all in how the request is phrased. The real issue is treating mod authors/maintainers as humans with real lives, recognizing that they don't owe any of us anything, and being polite and taking some time to review what we post before posting. It's a community, and the more we treat it as such, the better it is for everyone.

I guess I should have quoted the "will there be an update for 1.8" post that was posted within minutes of 1.8 being released.

1 minute ago, Rocketology said:

I guess I should have quoted the "will there be an update for 1.8" post that was posted within minutes of 1.8 being released.

I agree with you 100% on that one, my remarks were geared more in reference to maja's post. As always, a new KSP means 20+ questions in direct violation of the forum rules re: pestering.

2 hours ago, panarchist said:

Not really. The dropped format was DXT3, which from my experience is a sort-of red headed stepchild of DDS compression methods. It has an alpha channel (transparency), but it's incredibly limited, I think it's one bit only (and even if it isn't, treating it like that is the only way to make DXT3 look right). The overwhelming majority of DDS files I've seen was DXT5, followed by DXT1. 

It could break some mods if they used that compression method, but I don't think there are any. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think ReStock specifically has files in this format.

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

Not really. The dropped format was DXT3, which from my experience is a sort-of red headed stepchild of DDS compression methods. It has an alpha channel (transparency), but it's incredibly limited, I think it's one bit only (and even if it isn't, treating it like that is the only way to make DXT3 look right). The overwhelming majority of DDS files I've seen was DXT5, followed by DXT1. 

It could break some mods if they used that compression method, but I don't think there are any. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think ReStock specifically has files in this format.

ReStock doesn't. KSO might, and possibly some of zzz's parts that were in a dozen or more older mods. Some of those are using textures from the 0.24 days. Anyway, I'll stop posting off-topic in this thread. I'll be loading ReStock up today in 1.8.0 so my space stations look right again. :-)

18 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

FWIW, I checked all the DDS files in my install — which includes ReStock and all Nertea's other mods, DMagic, Universal Storage, MKS, and various smaller part mods — and the only DXT3 textures I have are in WildBlueIndustries KerbalActuators, on two sample parts and a gear icon.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:51 PM, GrandProtectorDark said:

Well, Restock and it's plugin work fine in 1.8.
But some of the stock parts have got new variants, so there is a bit of clash.

So far all I've noticed is the Mk7 nose cone is a bit borked. This patch can be used to fix the problem while we wait for a Restock update:

// 1.8 adds a second Mk7 model, Restock only deletes one, this deletes the other
@PART[rocketNoseCone_v2]:BEFORE[Restock]
{
  !MODEL {}
}

Hey all, I realized there was no official statement from the team with respect to updates going on, so just to be clear we are hard at work on 1.8 compatibility. As for all of the mods I'm involved with, I recommend not using something built for an old version of KSP in a newer version, particularly with 1.8 . In particular there are a slew of general improvements coming with the next version that you may inadvertently cause incompatibility with. 

Thanks for your patience.

21 hours ago, Nertea said:

Hey all, I realized there was no official statement from the team with respect to updates going on, so just to be clear we are hard at work on 1.8 compatibility. As for all of the mods I'm involved with, I recommend not using something built for an old version of KSP in a newer version, particularly with 1.8 . In particular there are a slew of general improvements coming with the next version that you may inadvertently cause incompatibility with. 

Thanks for your patience.

As always Nertea, thank you for what you do! You've made countless KSP'ers happy for years and we appreciate your dedication.

• 2 weeks later...

Really loving the (for once) relatively uniform aesthetic of the parts with the mod. It mostly works fine in 1.8 as others have mentioned, but there is one thing that bothers me about it.

Is there a way to remove certain parts' overhauls, specifically the Terrier and some of the 1.25m fuel tanks? I much prefer the stock revamped version of the Terrier over porkjet's. I tried removing the lines that edit its mesh and such, and whitelisting it as per the readme instructions, but whenever I try changing anything my game hangs in the loading screen when accessing the VAB, so I'm clearly doing something wrong here.

3 hours ago, moyashii said:

Really loving the (for once) relatively uniform aesthetic of the parts with the mod. It mostly works fine in 1.8 as others have mentioned, but there is one thing that bothers me about it.

Is there a way to remove certain parts' overhauls, specifically the Terrier and some of the 1.25m fuel tanks? I much prefer the stock revamped version of the Terrier over porkjet's. I tried removing the lines that edit its mesh and such, and whitelisting it as per the readme instructions, but whenever I try changing anything my game hangs in the loading screen when accessing the VAB, so I'm clearly doing something wrong here.

You don't need to edit anything.  Simply add the terrier to a restockwhitelist file.  KSP will load both the vanilla and restock models and you can use whichever you prefer.

19 hours ago, Friznit said:

You don't need to edit anything.  Simply add the terrier to a restockwhitelist file.  KSP will load both the vanilla and restock models and you can use whichever you prefer.

Yeah, I've tried doing that while not removing/editing any mod parts. It's still hanging in the loading screen to the VAB. Just to clarify since the readme isn't that clear - I need to make a file named Restock.restockwhitelist anywhere in the gamedata folder, correct? Its extension should be RESTOCK as the blacklist one?

Then I add "Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-909_v2/" and "Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-909/" to the file's text in two lines, right? 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, Friznit said:

This shouldn't work at all. ReStock doesn't function like this.

4 hours ago, moyashii said:

Yeah, I've tried doing that while not removing/editing any mod parts. It's still hanging in the loading screen to the VAB. Just to clarify since the readme isn't that clear - I need to make a file named Restock.restockwhitelist anywhere in the gamedata folder, correct? Its extension should be RESTOCK as the blacklist one?

Then I add "Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-909_v2/" and "Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-909/" to the file's text in two lines, right? 

Edit: In addition to whitelisting Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-909_v2/

Open up your version of the following file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ReStock\Patches\Engine\restock-engines-liquid-125.cfg

Change the following lines

// Terrier
@PART[liquidEngine3_v2]

to something like

// Terrier
@PART[liquidEngine3_v2]:NEEDS[UseReStockTerrier]

What it does is prevent ReStock from applying its patch to the Terrier. The patch changes the model (removing mentions of the stock revamped model) as well as changing part geometry and special effect animations. As long as a folder or mod named 'UseReStockTerrier' doesn't exist the above change should prevent the patch.

Edited by Eridan
in addition to line

1 hour ago, Eridan said:

Open up your version of the following file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ReStock\Patches\Engine\restock-engines-liquid-125.cfg

Change the following lines

// Terrier
@PART[liquidEngine3_v2]

to something like

// Terrier
@PART[liquidEngine3_v2]:NEEDS[UseReStockTerrier]

What it does is prevent ReStock from applying its patch to the Terrier. The patch changes the model (removing mentions of the stock revamped model) as well as changing part geometry and special effect animations. As long as a folder or mod named 'UseReStockTerrier' doesn't exist the above change should prevent the patch.

Thanks! I had tried editing that specific .cfg, but when I did I just plain and simply deleted all the lines related to the Terrier. I got it working now, but maybe it might be a good idea to point out these steps a bit more clearly in the readme/somewhere in the mod page. Though it's a bit unlikely that most people would actually bother doing this. :)

Hello,

I know this mod is not yet updated for 1.8 but I don't see anyone mentioning the problem I'm having and I just want to share it here for future reference and for other people to see, before I stray away from this simple issue.

I use both your mod and AmpYear together and for some reason the AmpYear's reserve battery packs do not show up in the game.

I described and reported the issue at the link above and @JPLRepo was kind enough look at my logs, to discover that it was ReStock mod which was removing them.

Further explaining that even though the latest version of AmpYear included a whitelist configuration file called "AY.restockwhitelist" it seemed that it didn't work.

Which to be honest I couldn't locate this mentioned file in AmpYear_V1.5.6.0.zip but still that raised a question for me:

If that whitelist file had worked, would that mean;

A-) I would lose the ReStock versions of the in game batteries and both the AmpYear and ingame batteries would show as vanilla?

B-) It would load AmpYear batteries as vanilla models, along with the ReStock versions of the ingame batteries?

C-) AmyYear reserve batteries would magicaly show up as ReStock models, alongside with the ReStock versions of the normal batteries? :lol:

I would be thankful if you could enlighten me on the subject and perhaps make a note of "AY.restockwhitelist" if that is in fact the case.

2 hours ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

Hello,

I know this mod is not yet updated for 1.8 but I don't see anyone mentioning the problem I'm having and I just want to share it here for future reference and for other people to see, before I stray away from this simple issue.

I use both your mod and AmpYear together and for some reason the AmpYear's reserve battery packs do not show up in the game.

I described and reported the issue at the link above and @JPLRepo was kind enough look at my logs, to discover that it was ReStock mod which was removing them.

Further explaining that even though the latest version of AmpYear included a whitelist configuration file called "AY.restockwhitelist" it seemed that it didn't work.

Which to be honest I couldn't locate this mentioned file in AmpYear_V1.5.6.0.zip but still that raised a question for me:

If that whitelist file had worked, would that mean;

A-) I would lose the ReStock versions of the in game batteries and both the AmpYear and ingame batteries would show as vanilla?

B-) It would load AmpYear batteries as vanilla models, along with the ReStock versions of the ingame batteries?

C-) AmyYear reserve batteries would magicaly show up as ReStock models, alongside with the ReStock versions of the normal batteries? :lol:

I would be thankful if you could enlighten me on the subject and perhaps make a note of "AY.restockwhitelist" if that is in fact the case.

It would be B. I'll try to find that file in the zip when I get home, it may not have been correctly formatted.

There doesn't seem to be such a file in the AmpYear repo or the zip file.

You can make it yourself - just make a file called MyMod.restockwhitelist and put these lines in it. 

Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-100Battery/
Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-1kBattery/
Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-200Battery/
Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-400Battery/
Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-4kBattery/

7 minutes ago, Nertea said:

There doesn't seem to be such a file in the AmpYear repo or the zip file.

You can make it yourself - just make a file called MyMod.restockwhitelist and put these lines in it. 

Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-100Battery/
Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-1kBattery/
Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-200Battery/
Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-400Battery/
Squad/Parts/Electrical/z-4kBattery/

Thank you so much, both for answering my question earlier and this.

And the answer to that question being option "B" is such great news.

Also, I'm guessing I can put this file where ever I want within the GameData folder right?

33 minutes ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

Also, I'm guessing I can put this file where ever I want within the GameData folder right?

Yes. I recommend creating one folder where you can keep all your personal tweaks. The name does not matter, as long as it is not the exact same name as an existing mod, so don’t go calling your personal folder “Strategia” or something. ;) 

Edited by Jognt