[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

35 minutes ago, Nertea said:

The part database file is PartDatabase.cfg in the game root directory, not the ModuleManager cache. This file stores the game's drag cubes. Since the drag cubes needed to be set to autogenerated for the fix (and then regenerated on game reload), this is the file that should be deleted. 

Doh.  I knew that but was already planning my rescue mission and just wasn't thinking.

New rescue ship's chute was replaced and reconfigured.  On return with the missing Gaelans, the RC chute worked as expected even without recreating the partdatabase file.  Since I still have the save, will testing the original, flawed save with a new partdatabase file be of any value?  I don't think so but I'd gladly do it if you need any data.  If not, I'll probably recreate it anyway and start fresh.

Regardless, many thanks from me, and Huddan and Poody Gaelan.

1 minute ago, Brigadier said:

Doh.  I knew that but was already planning my rescue mission and just wasn't thinking.

New rescue ship's chute was replaced and reconfigured.  On return with the missing Gaelans, the RC chute worked as expected even without recreating the partdatabase file.  Since I still have the save, will testing the original, flawed save with a new partdatabase file be of any value?  I don't think so but I'd gladly do it if you need any data.  If not, I'll probably recreate it anyway and start fresh.

Regardless, many thanks from me, and Huddan and Poody Gaelan.

Don't think there will be any issues. Usually drag cubes all all loaded from that DB, but I don't really know how RealChute does its stuff so I guess there's still a small risk. If your thing went all fine, then it'll all be good - you'd just have to use the same method to replace any other chutes that show similar problems. 

14 minutes ago, MountainBlue said:

I found a bug regarding the solar panels.

I am unable to deploy my solar panels within the VAB/SPH or while flying (at all). Not sure what could be causing this, probably a bug though.

First, welcome to the forums.  I hope you find a solution to this behaviour soon.

Second, read the thread below and try to follow its general principles when posting problems.  The mod author and other users often need more info than this to help.

Third, this probably isn't a bug in Restock since many other people are successfully using this mod with solar panels (me included) and a variety of other mods.  I'm just saying that it's unlikely.  There was an initial problem (reported in this topic back in early Mar) with panel part alignment but that has been solved and it doesn't seem to be your problem.

Finally, what versions of KSP and this mod are you using?  What other mods do you have installed and how are you installing them (manually or via CKAN)?

Try uninstalling Restock and replicating the problem.  If it still exists, the problem lies elsewhere.  Reinstall Restock and try again to rule out a bad mod install.

Let us know how it goes.

1 minute ago, Brigadier said:

First, welcome to the forums.  I hope you find a solution to this behaviour soon.

Second, read the thread below and try to follow its general principles when posting problems.  The mod author and other users often need more info than this to help.

Third, this probably isn't a bug in Restock since many other people are successfully using this mod with solar panels (me included) and a variety of other mods.  I'm just saying that it's unlikely.  There was an initial problem (reported in this topic back in early Mar) with panel part alignment but that has been solved and it doesn't seem to be your problem.

Finally, what versions of KSP and this mod are you using?  What other mods do you have installed and how are you installing them (manually or via CKAN)?

Try uninstalling Restock and replicating the problem.  If it still exists, the problem lies elsewhere.  Reinstall Restock and try again to rule out a bad mod install.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you, I ended finding the solution to my problem after digging through reddit about Kopericus. Apparently sometimes solar panels don't work if you don't have Modular Flight Integrator installed, which I guess I didn't.

Sorry if I wasted any of your time, I'm now on my way to Minmus :)

So this mod is amazing but I think the 0.625m heat shield might need some reworking.  It seems to be functionally useless at protecting probe cores compared to the stock version (probably due to being smaller and letting the geometry show).

Well in pretty much all cases heat shields extend much further out that the payload for re-entry style shields so it would suggest that if you're trying to re-enter 0.625m probes that you should be utilizing a 1.25m heat shield if reality is anything to go by. The Huygens Lander is a good example of this:

Model_of_Huygens_spaceprobe_with_heatshi

Even with all the above, however, the 0.625m heat shield does have its uses and can be handy when making dumb re-entry payloads that require recovering... a little like science drop pods.

Something just crossed my mind.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

We are coming up to the date directly 3 months after the time that 1.6.1 was released and with the lack of any new news coming from the Kerbal Loading articles from SQUAD it may suggest that the 1.7 release date may not be too far away. From what they've shown, there are definitely parts that are getting revamped like the Puff, the Twitch, the Spider etc. that look as if they will have brand new colliders and all that. Hopefully, these new parts will follow the course of have a brand new identifier name so that they don't affect the preexisting parts but who can be sure?

Anyway, what I'm trying to infer is that it would be super wise to make a backup of your current 1.6.1 install with ReStock(+) installed if you haven't already done so as there will undoubtedly be some issues that will occur with ReStock upon the 1.7 release. There's bound to be. To avoid frustration, make this copy of your 1.6.1 install outside of your Steam directory to ensure it doesn't automatically update on you and jeopardize your game save.

Be smart, play smart! ;) 

Hello,

I can't quite seem to figure out how to pull the correct files from Github to fix Realplume.

Although most engines seem to be configured correctly, some have their plumes originating 10 meters away from the engine bell.

Culprits seem to be the reliant, and mainsail engines.

Any help?

tuPiLze.jpg

1 hour ago, symphons said:

Hello,

I can't quite seem to figure out how to pull the correct files from Github to fix Realplume.

Although most engines seem to be configured correctly, some have their plumes originating 10 meters away from the engine bell.

Culprits seem to be the reliant, and mainsail engines.

Any help?

1. Install realplume together with realplume stock configs normally (you seem to have done this)

The github link in the restock OP is for a pull request, which means the fix hasnt been merged into Nhawks RealPlume stock configs master. To grab the actual files for the fix you need to follow the link in the pull request to Vladimir-CSP's fork which is where the fix is.

2. Download Vladmir's fork https://github.com/Vladimir-csp/RealPlume-StockConfigs

3. replace the contents of RealPlume-Stock with whats in 2.

4. ???

5. Profit

Edited by Zorg

10 minutes ago, Zorg said:

1. Install realplume together with realplume stock configs normally (you seem to have done this)

The github link in the restock OP is for a pull request, which means the fix hasnt been merged into Nhawks RealPlume stock configs master. To grab the actual files for the fix you need to follow the link in the pull request to Vladimir-CSP's fork which is where the fix is.

2. Download Vladmir's fork https://github.com/Vladimir-csp/RealPlume-StockConfigs

3. replace the contents of RealPlume-Stock with whats in 2.

4. ???

5. Profit

Turns out I did know how to pull the files. Unfortunately, the problem is still persisting after replacing the contents of RealPlume-stock. Could the problem be that realplume isn't configured properly for the mod?

1 hour ago, symphons said:

Turns out I did know how to pull the files. Unfortunately, the problem is still persisting after replacing the contents of RealPlume-stock. Could the problem be that realplume isn't configured properly for the mod?

Oh, to be honest I am sticking with the stock plumes for restock (apart from a custom one I made for twin boar/boar) so I cant speak for any issues with that patch.

Based on the description in the pull request I assumed everything apart from a couple of SRBs are working fine. Are you on the current release of restock? I know when restock first came out some plumes were impossible to correct in real plume and a fix for that came out in of the subsequent releases. Beyond that I'm not sure.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:59 PM, Tankman101 said:

So this mod is amazing but I think the 0.625m heat shield might need some reworking.  It seems to be functionally useless at protecting probe cores compared to the stock version (probably due to being smaller and letting the geometry show).

We will need some test cases. The occlusion data is copied from the stock one so it should have the parameters of it regardless; this procedure was tested a few times in development and didn't reveal issues. 

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

We will need some test cases. The occlusion data is copied from the stock one so it should have the parameters of it regardless; this procedure was tested a few times in development and didn't reveal issues. 

I probably should have led with the testing results but it was very late, but the comment that it's a copied config made me do more (including a fresh install just in case).

The testbed is this

Spoiler

UuIwm1V.png

All tests are dropping from 40 million meters (basically minmus, started with the most extreme)

Restock:
55k Periapsis: Moderate heating, no explosions, multiple passes
50k Periapsis: Dead

Stock:
50k Periapsis: Mildly warm solar panels, no explosions, multiple passes.

Tested each 50k twice, thought point was made.  No idea what it is if the config is copied.

Hi @Nertea

First, thank you for this mod. The parts are beautiful and show the care that you all put into them.

Second, I've noticed an interaction between Crew Light and Restock+ that I haven't seen previously reported. As you know, Restock+ adds the ability to pivot the stock lights with the following code: 

// Allows rotation of lights via a tweakable

// Spotlight
@PART[spotLight1]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
    animationName = RestockSpotLight_Rotate
    startEventGUIName = #LOC_RestockPlus_light_rotate_on
    endEventGUIName = #LOC_RestockPlus_light_rotate_off
    actionGUIName = #LOC_RestockPlus_light_rotate_toggle
    allowDeployLimit = true
    revClampDirection = false
    revClampSpeed = true
    revClampPercent = true      
  }
}

// Floodlight
@PART[spotLight2]
{
  MODULE
  {
    animationName = RestockFloodLightRotate
    allowDeployLimit = true
    revClampSpeed = true
    revClampPercent = true      
  }
}

With Crew Light installed, these lights come on at night as expected, however they also pivot 180°. I have post on the Crew Light thread, however, if anyone else comes here looking for a solution, I wanted you to know that the issue does exist.

(Tested on Stock install with Crew Lights, Restock, Restock+ and dependencies.)

Thank you!

Good job, this mod is very well done and it shows how the KSP should really look like. I really like the small things like gas generator exhaust plume on Spark and other engines. Also the parachute rewamp is awesome. They finally fit onto the capsules

On 4/3/2019 at 2:06 PM, Tankman101 said:

I probably should have led with the testing results but it was very late, but the comment that it's a copied config made me do more (including a fresh install just in case).

The testbed is this

Reveal hidden contents

UuIwm1V.png

All tests are dropping from 40 million meters (basically minmus, started with the most extreme)

Restock:
55k Periapsis: Moderate heating, no explosions, multiple passes
50k Periapsis: Dead

Stock:
50k Periapsis: Mildly warm solar panels, no explosions, multiple passes.

Tested each 50k twice, thought point was made.  No idea what it is if the config is copied.

Thanks for the notes, we'll look into it. I created https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/issues/577 so it doesn't get lost. 

22 hours ago, eightiesboi said:

Hi @Nertea

First, thank you for this mod. The parts are beautiful and show the care that you all put into them.

Second, I've noticed an interaction between Crew Light and Restock+ that I haven't seen previously reported. As you know, Restock+ adds the ability to pivot the stock lights with the following code: 

// Allows rotation of lights via a tweakable

// Spotlight
@PART[spotLight1]
{
  MODULE
  {
    animationName = RestockSpotLight_Rotate
    allowDeployLimit = true
    revClampSpeed = true
    revClampPercent = true      
  }
}

// Floodlight
@PART[spotLight2]
{
  MODULE
  {
    animationName = RestockFloodLightRotate
    allowDeployLimit = true
    revClampSpeed = true
    revClampPercent = true      
  }
}

With Crew Light installed, these lights come on at night as expected, however they also pivot 180°. I have post on the Crew Light thread, however, if anyone else comes here looking for a solution, I wanted you to know that the issue does exist.

(Tested on Stock install with Crew Lights, Restock, Restock+ and dependencies.)

Thank you!

Thanks for letting us know, if the dev lets you know that changes are required on our end, point him to us so that we can work together to find a solution. 

3 hours ago, Raptor42 said:

Good job, this mod is very well done and it shows how the KSP should really look like. I really like the small things like gas generator exhaust plume on Spark and other engines. Also the parachute rewamp is awesome. They finally fit onto the capsules

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Puggonaut said:

Having Issue when I add Kopernicus after Restock .

All previous people who had this issue (nodes misplaced in the 1.25m tanks) had the same solution:

KSP doesn't always update old files properly when a new version is released. If you did not do a completely fresh download for the most recent version, it's possible that some parts do not work as they are designed to. Make a habit of performing a clean, fresh download and install each time KSP udates to a major version (1.X.0).

As a shortcut, if you are on Steam, try deleting .../GameData/Squad, and then let Steam verify the installation to make it redownload the missing files.

EDIT: This post deleted because it is no longer relevant. There was a misunderstanding of the problem between myself and the other mod's maker. Miss communication resolved, matter settled. Thank you and sorry.

Edited by vardicd

7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

All previous people who had this issue (nodes misplaced in the 1.25m tanks) had the same solution:

KSP doesn't always update old files properly when a new version is released. If you did not do a completely fresh download for the most recent version, it's possible that some parts do not work as they are designed to. Make a habit of performing a clean, fresh download and install each time KSP udates to a major version (1.X.0).

As a shortcut, if you are on Steam, try deleting .../GameData/Squad, and then let Steam verify the installation to make it redownload the missing files.

Thanks will give that a go &)

UPDATE......................

It Works ......................yehaa

Edited by Puggonaut 2
Spelling as usual

14 hours ago, Streetwind said:

What worked for me was just deleting the PartDatabase.cfg file.

EDIT: Disregard - no, it didn't. The above solution does work, though. Bear in mind that if you have any craft build prior to doing this & you had adjusted the nodes, the craft will look funky on the launchpad. I had to take them back to the VAB and re-attach the problem parts.

Edited by Bombaatu