[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

A small progress update on 1.7 compatibility

As most of you have likely noticed, the main glaring thing with this mod in 1.7 is that the new redone Squad parts are not replaced by the Restock ones. We are working on fixing this (well, this one's totally on my plate). This is taking more time than I'd like, because it does at minimum involve importing the new parts and making sure things like colliders and thrust locations haven't changed (hint: they did) and making those modifications to our parts. In addition, the changes to the Twitch require some work to be done in order to make our model a good replacement for the new Squad one. 

All of the "old" 1.6 era parts will still be replaced with the next version of RS, by the way. 

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

As most of you have likely noticed, the main glaring thing with this mod in 1.7 is that the new redone Squad parts are not replaced by the Restock ones. We are working on fixing this (well, this one's totally on my plate). This is taking more time than I'd like, because it does at minimum involve importing the new parts and making sure things like colliders and thrust locations haven't changed (hint: they did) and making those modifications to our parts. In addition, the changes to the Twitch require some work to be done in order to make our model a good replacement for the new Squad one. 

All of the "old" 1.6 era parts will still be replaced with the next version of RS, by the way. 

Ouch :( my condolences, that doesn't sound like the most entertaining of tasks

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Is almost like there's more QA on this mod than the main game. Which is crazy, so clearly not the case :wink:

Seriously, love this mode !

I was trying to check the cfg files to add the 1825 heatshield, but it's a bit harder than I thought.
Like.... I thought it was just about copy and paste, change a factor to resize, save, load KSP. Well, turned out there are some "assets", and dragboxes, and I guess I'll just wait.

Oh, as I was there @Nertea :

Spoiler

// Proposed format:
//   #LOC_Restock_partconfigname_fieldname
// eg.
//   #LOC_Restock_restock-engine-375-3_title = ...
//   #LOC_Restock_restock-engine-375-3_description = ...

Localization
{
  fr-fr
  {
    #LOC_Restock_variant-engine_size0 = 0.625m
    #LOC_Restock_variant-engine_size1 = 1.25m
    #LOC_Restock_variant-engine_size2 = 2.5m
    #LOC_Restock_variant-engine_size3 = 3.75m
    #LOC_Restock_variant-engine_compact = Compact
    #LOC_Restock_variant-engine_radial = Radial
    #LOC_Restock_variant-engine_boattail = Caréné

#LOC_Restock_variant-mounting_truss = Treillis
    #LOC_Restock_variant-mounting_compact = Compact

#LOC_Restock_variant-antenna_size0 = 0.625m
    #LOC_Restock_variant-antenna_size1 = 1.25m
    #LOC_Restock_variant-antenna_truss = Treillis
    #LOC_Restock_variant-antenna_compact = Compact
    #LOC_Restock_variant-antenna_radial = Radial
    #LOC_Restock_variant-antenna_radial_reverse = Radial (Inversé)
    #LOC_Restock_variant-antenna_axial = Axial
    #LOC_Restock_variant-antenna_axial_reverse = Axial (Inversé)

#LOC_Restock_variant-surface_metal = Métal

#LOC_Restock_variant-service-bay-opaque = Bases pleines
    #LOC_Restock_variant-service-bay-transparent = Bases treillis
    #LOC_Restock_variant-service-bay-hollow = Bases vides

#LOC_Restock_variant-heat-shield-black = Noir
    #LOC_Restock_variant-heat-shield-brown = Classique
    #LOC_Restock_variant-heat-shield-red = Brut

#LOC_Restock_variant-linear-rcs-pod = Caréné
    #LOC_Restock_variant-linear-rcs-bare = Nu

#LOC_Restock_variant-stayputnik-pod = Support
    #LOC_Restock_variant-stayputnik-bare = Sans support
    #LOC_Restock_variant-probe-gold = Doré
    #LOC_Restock_variant-probe-silver = Argenté
    #LOC_Restock_variant-probe-bare = Basique
  }
}

1 hour ago, Challyss said:

Seriously, love this mode !

I was trying to check the cfg files to add the 1825 heatshield, but it's a bit harder than I thought.
Like.... I thought it was just about copy and paste, change a factor to resize, save, load KSP. Well, turned out there are some "assets", and dragboxes, and I guess I'll just wait.

Oh, as I was there @Nertea :

Thank you, I will add this to the next version. 

Can't help but notice 1.7 replaced some Restock models with new stock ones. Is this intentional?

Also, when should we expect the next update?

Edit: Oops, this is what happens when you go straight to asking instead of looking for answers. Sorry for the already-answered question!

The next update time question still stands, though.

Edited by PartiallyBurnt

I haven't gotten a chance to tell you just how unbelievably gorgeous this mod is. Truly stunning in every conceivable way. If Take Two was smart, they'd just hire you on the spot and make this the 1.9 update. The only thing I could imagine that would improve this is a rounded 3.75 tank butt for shuttle stacks. But this truly is a triumph of beauty and design.

So i have recently switched to Restock and the artstyle is perfect! However, some mods now seem a bit 'out of place' now. So my question: Which part mods would you recommend to use alongside Restock (and possibly the Near Future packs)?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, kewcet said:

So i have recently switched to Restock and the artstyle is perfect! However, some mods now seem a bit 'out of place' now. So my question: Which part mods would you recommend to use alongside Restock (and possibly the Near Future packs)?

Thanks!

Universal storage 2's payload bays, in particular with the Porkjet texture variants match up very nicely with restock parts. The various components that go in the US2 bays also fit very well with the overall reStock aesthetic.

Edited by Zorg

3 hours ago, kewcet said:

Thanks!

All of Nertea's mods work well - the Near Future series, Stockalike Station Parts Redux - Some are older than others, but he's been going through and updating all of them to ReStock-alike. Check the mod pages for status.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but here are some other mods that I like to use with ReStock:
@Beale Tantares & Tantares LV

@benjee10 - ReDirect, HabTech2 & Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit (under development)

@Well - KNES

@CobaltWolf - BlueDog Design Bureau - a bit different style but beautiful and close enough to make it worth including :) 

Edited by Tyko

30 minutes ago, Tyko said:

All of Nertea's mods work well - the Near Future series, Stockalike Station Parts Redux - Some are older than others, but he's been going through and updating all of them to ReStock-alike. Check the mod pages for status.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but here are some other mods that I like to use with ReStock:
@Beale Tantares & Tantares LV

@benjee10 - ReDirect, HabTech2 & Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit (under development)

@Well - KNES

@CobaltWolf - BlueDog Design Bureau - a bit different style but beautiful and close enough to make it worth including :)

19 minutes ago, kewcet said:

Thanks @Tyko and @Zorg I'll have a look :) 

Be warned pretty much all the mods Tyko linked are more focused on historic/real rockets in a stockalike style, so maybe not for everyone. :)

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Be warned pretty much all the mods Tyko linked are more focused on historic/real rockets in a stockalike style, so maybe not for everyone. :)

Shouldn't be a problem if the styles are similar, so I can 'abuse' the parts for my own designs :) 

I'll test them and decide, if the rockets still resemble the real life counterparts it will be played as an American/Russian/etc. influenced space program... ;) 

The only problem I see is that from what I remember it's hard to mix Tantares and BDB, as the style of the mods is a bit different, especially the colors. But I guess that's to expect, as the real Russian/American parts are quite different. 

I don't remember using KNES and benjee's mods, so it's time to check them out...

Edited by kewcet

6 minutes ago, kewcet said:

Shouldn't be a problem if the styles are similar, so I can 'abuse' the parts for my own designs :) 

I'll test them and decide, if the rockets still resemble the real life counterparts it will be played as an American/Russian/etc. influenced space program... ;) 

The only problem I see is that from what I remember it's hard to mix Tantares and BDB, as the style of the mods is a bit different, especially the colors. But I guess that's to expect, as the real Russian/American parts are quite different. 

I don't remember using KNES and benjee's mods, so it's time to check them out...

I think we're slowly working on getting closer to the restock style, but with mods that have taken as long to make as these, any sort of changes take a while to propagate to the entire mod. :)

5 hours ago, kewcet said:

Thanks!

I would recommend Cormorant Aeronology as another Mk3-alike shuttle mod. It is scaled differently than both stock/restock and the BDB/Tantares/ReDirect/Knes, but it is a lot of fun, and is based on Porkjet-alike textures that were the original direction for ReStock.

1 minute ago, TimothyC said:

I would recommend Cormorant Aeronology as another Mk3-alike shuttle mod. It is scaled differently than both stock/restock and the BDB/Tantares/ReDirect/Knes, but it is a lot of fun, and is based on Porkjet-alike textures that were the original direction for ReStock.

Thanks! All other mods are still scaled for a 2.5/3.2x system just like the stock parts, right? 

3 hours ago, LukaDaBoi said:

I have the Making History DLC and the 5m Fairing is the normal one is this a bug or you don't want to? But still It's the best mod i have ever seen! flip the DLC, this makes parts make really good looking.

There's a list of revised parts in the OP. Notably that is not on it. 

20 hours ago, PartiallyBurnt said:

The next update time question still stands, though.

Because of life, this question is not simple to answer. 

@Nertea, speaking of that list, are the wheels in the page image WiP?

Also, I'm going to work with this pack rather than Ven's from here on. Couple of things I'll have to carry over, though *nudge-nudge*:

• The restored O-10 monoprop thruster (Mechjeb doesn't play as well with RCS)
  • The Snubotron, a half-sized, axial Sepratron
  • Ven's pre-Porkjet revamp of the aerospike
Spoiler

bE8pRK5.jpg

• Double and triple-length ladders
  • Ven's ruggedized take on Falcon legs
  • And, well, their wheels rework