[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion of what they like but its not really fair to the say the stock version of the plume is more "true" to the SSME than ReStock

My impression of the SSME is mostly from this wonderful picture of the RS-25 SSME (courtesy Wikipedia):

480px-Shuttle_Main_Engine_Test_Firing.jp

The stock Vector's plume is predominantly blue (perhaps too blue as it gets farther from the nozzle, I admit), whereas I find the Restock Vector's plume is predominantly red. This is going to be a case of YMMV, since everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I just prefer the stock Vector's take on the RS-25 SSME and find it more accurate as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not raining on anyone, just to be clear. This is really just a matter of my own taste and thoughts, especially since KSP is more about just having fun rather than being 100% realistic.

1 hour ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

It is my understanding that ReStock uses a 'blacklist' and a 'whitelist' that lets you control what parts are loaded. At least as far as I know. More info can be found on this page of the ReStock wiki. Some one who knows more about how it works can probably help you if you run into trouble.

Also:

Many of the foiled parts have alternate texture variants that might be more to your liking, they even use the stock variant switch mechanic!

Restock uses a very different, more centralized file structure compared to stock and most other mods. Whereas stock and most mods organize parts by category>individual-part and keep the part's CFG and associated models and textures together, Restock centralizes assets (models and textures) and CFGs separately, and only goes as deep as organizing by categories (all the 2.5m fuel tanks' definitions are under one CFG and its assets all in one 2.5m fuel tank directory, for example), and the blacklist is similarly centralized in one file rather than individually defined per part.

I can certainly see that I can pick apart Restock given enough time and willpower, but it's a lot more tedious than just removing the directory structure for parts I don't want.

3 hours ago, King Arthur said:

My impression of the SSME is mostly from this wonderful picture of the RS-25 SSME (courtesy Wikipedia):

480px-Shuttle_Main_Engine_Test_Firing.jp

The stock Vector's plume is predominantly blue (perhaps too blue as it gets farther from the nozzle, I admit), whereas I find the Restock Vector's plume is predominantly red. This is going to be a case of YMMV, since everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I just prefer the stock Vector's take on the RS-25 SSME and find it more accurate as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not raining on anyone, just to be clear. This is really just a matter of my own taste and thoughts, especially since KSP is more about just having fun rather than being 100% realistic.

Restock uses a very different, more centralized file structure compared to stock and most other mods. Whereas stock and most mods organize parts by category>individual-part and keep the part's CFG and associated models and textures together, Restock centralizes assets (models and textures) and CFGs separately, and only goes as deep as organizing by categories (all the 2.5m fuel tanks' definitions are under one CFG and its assets all in one 2.5m fuel tank directory, for example), and the blacklist is similarly centralized in one file rather than individually defined per part.

I can certainly see that I can pick apart Restock given enough time and willpower, but it's a lot more tedious than just removing the directory structure for parts I don't want.

You don’t need to fiddle with those cfgs. Check out the white/blacklist system. 

2 minutes ago, Jognt said:

You don’t need to fiddle with those cfgs. Check out the white/blacklist system. 

I would need to mess with the CFGs since the black/whitelist is completely separate from the actual ModuleManager patching of stock part CFGs. I could whitelist the stock Vector for example, but unless I also remove or modify the 1.25m engines CFG containing the Restock Vector I'm still not going to get the stock Vector back.

As far as I can tell, Restock would presumably still work if I were to just take out the black/whitelist system wholesale; it's only there as a RAM- and load time-saving measure. The actual stock parts replacement is done by ModuleManager CFGs, which are all centralized rather than individualized.

On 9/12/2019 at 5:58 AM, 1990eam said:

Is the RealPlume separate patch still needed?

no its not :) Simply grab v.1.4.0 or later of RealPlume-Stock (which comes with v12.0.0 of RealPlume and v2.8.5 of Smokescreen) and you're good to go.

Edited by Zorg

On 8/28/2019 at 6:15 PM, Barzon Kerman said:

what are parallax maps?

You are on a device that is connected to the largest library known to man.  Use it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_mapping

The leading form is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_occlusion_mapping

On 8/28/2019 at 9:34 PM, IronCretin said:

Those only go up to 7.5m

Edited by Ruedii
Moar Info

On 8/28/2019 at 2:53 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

soon: 65,5643,458 textures and still not a thing to wear says the fuel tank.

Well many would be heavily shared between parts.  Often they are different combinations of the same base attributes.  Especially switching between shiny, brushed, flat, paneled, vertical ridges and insulation fiber for the base surface style before even adding textures and the black horizontal bracing rings.

Edited by Ruedii

I find that when I install this mod I can no longer store vessels inside inline hangars. It says the vessel can't fit in the hangar, but it's got plenty of space. After unistalling just this mod, the same vessel fits again in the hangar.

Any clues as to why this happens / any workaround? Could it be because surface areas are modified by this mod?

Edited by 1990eam

11 hours ago, 1990eam said:

I find that when I install this mod I can no longer store vessels inside inline hangars. It says the vessel can't fit in the hangar, but it's got plenty of space. After unistalling just this mod, the same vessel fits again in the hangar.

Any clues as to why this happens / any workaround? Could it be because surface areas are modified by this mod?

What do you mean by “inline hangars”? Is this another mod?

36 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

What do you mean by “inline hangars”? Is this another mod?

I assume he's using this mod:

And something about the change in the model that restock makes is making the calculated volume of the model different.  Probably needs both @allista and the restock team looking at it.

32 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I assume he's using this mod:

And something about the change in the model that restock makes is making the calculated volume of the model different.  Probably needs both @allista and the restock team looking at it.

Ah, that mod is probably not handling skinned meshes correctly, the same problem KIS and FAR had

@NerteaI got a Few Suggestions for the ReStock and ReStock+ Solar Panels.
1. Add a Shrouded Variant to the Gigantor XL Solar panel, It would look amazing with a shroud. Also it looks a bit Exposed without one.
2. Add a Medium Sized Solar panel There is a quite a gap in the Solar panel size
3. Add a New Super-Size solar panel for late game, With the edition of 5m DLC Parts, Even the Gigantor XL looks a bit small.
4. Work on Revamping SXT's Parts. It is a really cool mod for people who like to play stockalike. Your textures skills are just amazing, it would be awesome if you did. This is a big request, I dont expect this one to be accepted. 

Edited by IronKerbal

1 hour ago, IronKerbal said:

@NerteaI got a Few Suggestions for the ReStock and ReStock+ Solar Panels.
1. Add a Shrouded Variant to the Gigantor XL Solar panel, It would look amazing with a shroud. Also it looks a bit Exposed without one.
2. Add a Medium Sized Solar panel There is a quite a gap in the Solar panel size
3. Add a New Super-Size solar panel for late game, With the edition of 5m DLC Parts, Even the Gigantor XL looks a bit small.
4. Work on Revamping SXT's Parts. It is a really cool mod for people who like to play stockalike. Your textures skills are just amazing, it would be awesome if you did. This is a big request, I dont expect this one to be accepted. 

Maybe try Near Future Solar 

Edited by cineboxandrew
Link machine broke

1 hour ago, cineboxandrew said:

Maybe try Near Future Solar 

Yes, @cineboxandrew I have Near future solar, and I have been ksp ever since it has been released.
I am merely suggesting some ideas for these amazing mods. Restock is amazing in its simple form but amazing effect. A shrouded Gigantor XL solar panel variant is what I think this mod needs plus a few other small improvements.

Edited by IronKerbal
Added some text

8 hours ago, IronKerbal said:

That sounds more like something you should ask the author/maintainer of the mod you would want to have in restocks style. 

Not something the Restock team itelf is responsible for.

@Phos

Spoiler

Btw, the poodle in restock was based on the RD-0124. You might want it’s name to reference that.

Create a config file in gamedata called something like “poodle.cfg”, and put the following in it.

@PART[liquidEngine2-2v2]:AFTER[Restock]

{

@title = whatever you want to call it

}

NOTE: I’m no module manager expert. What I wrote above could be wrong. Ask the module manager thread for advice of what is above doesn’t work.

Edited by KerbalKore

On 9/25/2019 at 6:06 PM, IronKerbal said:

I have a few Issues to report:
The docking port Variants Restock adds are not compatible with Regular docking ports.
The Docking port variants are smaller than the regular docking ports, Uncovering the texture beneath it

what do you mean "not compatible with the regular docking ports", they replace the regular docking ports models so what are you trying to dock them to?

for the second point: they are 1.25m in diameter, which is actually slightly wider than the stock ones

1 hour ago, IronKerbal said:

The docking port variants that are added by ReStock are not Compatible with the stock ones,
Also the variants added by restock are smaller than default

This is fairly untrue - the Restock ports are not functionally different from any of the stock ports. No variants are added by this mod either, so you will have to be more specific. 

Question, I have started playing the game again after a long hiatus, and installed restock and restock+ (among a lot of other things). Not really sure what is in fault here, but I cannot see or use the two KSP expansion parts in career or sandbox. I have installed the two expansions (and they show up at the main menu page). When trying one of the missions though, they can't load because certain parts don't exist. Also, I can't find any of the parts in the VAB/SPH editors. I have no idea if restock is causing this (read something about a blacklist system etc in the OP), probably not. Could someone help me though?

N9PqfL4.jpg

Attaching MM/KSP logs + gamedata folder pic.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u1a0q74bzdulczb/logs-Dante80.zip/file

Many thanks.

Edited by Dante80