[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

On 4/11/2021 at 10:05 AM, BlackEyedPhantom said:

Hey. I requested that you put brake discs on landing gears that heat up when we brake. And there ware some problems with applying this. Well here are some ideas that may work.

So first was when and how will this be applied. Well can it be done that when we engage the brakes wait for like a sec and the brakes turn red. 

Second. I get that the previous way may cause some problems like hot discs when stationary but brakes engaged. So is it possible to detect when wheels are spinning then when the brakes are on wait for like a second and start heating up. And turning (relatively quickly) from red to orange and bright yellow. And when stopped this effect reverses but slower (aka cooling discs)?

And third when we turn the slider of the brake power will have an effect on the speed of heating (or in other words for example 50% brakes = 2sec to turn red, 2 more to orange and so on but gradually changing color. 100% 1.5sec to change and 1sec for 200%)

Is this possible? 

It's possible but won't be part of this mod. It's a smallish scope though, a great place for an aspiring modder to start learning :).

On 4/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, DanDucky said:

yeah, I know how to do that, I just wanted to know how to make it an option in game, so if I want to use TURD I can turn off restock for a part but have another one of the same part be using restock

This is nontrivial, I wish you luck. 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:20 AM, Nertea said:

but they're taking the art in a direction we stylistically disagree with and does not solve the inconsistency issues that plague the game

Firstly great work everyone involved in this the parts look fantastic! No-one mentions antennae ever in this sort of thing but the modelling and texturing is top class on these especially. I actually found myself spending a good 10 minutes zooming in and inspecting all the little details. Excellent job.

Can I ask though what you disagree with in the current art direction by squad? I have to admit the engine remodels/retextures aren’t great but I love the look of things like the MEM. Is the direction too cartoony?

PS one issue - I actually miss the yellow/black warning stripes (I think just me as well) but I can see how they wouldn’t fit in with the theme.

7 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

Can I ask though what you disagree with in the current art direction by squad? I have to admit the engine remodels/retextures aren’t great but I love the look of things like the MEM. Is the direction too cartoony?

MEM isn't touched by restock, it's actually artistically pretty good. Just very poorly designed gameplay-wise (I think there's a few threads in the MH forum section that get into that). 

Restock actually predates most of the revamps! The problem I have is consistency - the stock stuff has none of it. It seemed like for a while that every revamp took a different artistic direction, from styling to colour to surface materials. It doesn't look cohesive, it looks like a dozen different art directors were working on a dozen different plans. I suppose that's not really what happened - I don't think KSP ever had an art director, or if they did, they were spectacularly ineffective at art... directing. Things like different whites on white parts, massively detailed tiny parts, weird choices of variants all make me grind my teeth, because evidently Squad was willing to put dev money into doing this, but apparently didn't think about any of the stuff I'd say you should think about when doing it. I personally also think that art should incorporate role, being about to use visual cues to tell what a part is has been a big part of the work I've done and the stock revamps haven't tried at all there. 

One last thing is the massively inefficient use of memory in the recent work. In a game that loads everything concurrently into memory, you'd think that effectively developing textures to optimize this would be a priority, but apparently not. Restock, despite containing higher detail parts, more surface variants and even really, more parts, has a very similar memory footprint to stock.

7 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

PS one issue - I actually miss the yellow/black warning stripes (I think just me as well) but I can see how they wouldn’t fit in with the theme.

Worth noting that stock revamps have been systematically removing the warning stripes in a lot of places. We've kept them in docking ports and to a lesser extent in the 'Classic' variant for decouplers and separators. Again, trying to build consistent design language that says 'this part breaks off'.

5 minutes ago, Nertea said:

MEM isn't touched by restock, it's actually artistically pretty good. Just very poorly designed gameplay-wise (I think there's a few threads in the MH forum section that get into that).

I would be interested in seeing it ReStocked because then it could also be in RS+

Hi,

I have an issue where the illuminator mk2 appears flipped 180° on crafts that were made before using the mod. Is there a way to fix this on the mod files? I'd rather keep parity between crafts made before and after the mod.

I know it's something to do with line 79-82 on the file "ReStock\Patches\Electrical\restock-lights.cfg"

model = ReStock/Assets/Electrical/restock-light-flood-2
    position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
    scale = 1,1,1
    rotation = 0, 0, 0

I just don't know what part to edit.

Thanks for this great mod!

Hey Nertea I'm having a minor issue with the Oscar-B.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/191WPpJ1-Y6KlhPu7fnDDCyNhXq_zoWlI/view?usp=sharing

Namely, the patch doesn't seem to affect anything in-game. I still have the default level of fuel. Can you check my log real quick to see if anything odd is happening? I can clearly see the patch being applied on line 47887

[LOG 19:51:53.030] Applying update ReStockPlus/Patches/FuelTanks/restock-oscar-b-volume-fix/@PART[miniFuelTank]:AFTER[ReStock] to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTankOscarB/fuelTankOscarB.cfg/PART[miniFuelTank]

I have some weird fuel switch plugin I can't locate that I think might be causing the problem? I think it's AT_Utils that puts in some weird fuel switch system...

0tyBfhv.png

40 minutes ago, Black-Two- said:

Does Restock change the minimum pressure setting on parachutes? I've noticed I can't set it to 0.01 anymore.

I have noticed this too, even when setting it using the exact numbers mode. Weird thing is it does work when setting the minimum pressure in flight.

On 5/3/2021 at 1:07 PM, Black-Two- said:

Does Restock change the minimum pressure setting on parachutes? I've noticed I can't set it to 0.01 anymore.

This is a stock bug, that has been around for many years. Just tested on a fresh install to confirm

On 4/26/2021 at 11:33 PM, Frostiken said:

I have some weird fuel switch plugin I can't locate that I think might be causing the problem? I think it's AT_Utils that puts in some weird fuel switch system...

Close guess. The actual mod for that fuel switch is Configurable Containers. AT_Utils is a dependency.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

Do the SP-X modules have IVA interiors? I just started using one and when inside everything was black except for the windows, 

The SP-X modules don't have their own IVAs. The models are used to replace the KV-X pods when Making History is installed. Since these models are original, the Restock team could use them in Restock+. But they never redid the IVAs, and can't redistribute MH IVA's, so without MH installed the parts don't have IVAs.

30 minutes ago, TBenz said:

The SP-X modules don't have their own IVAs. The models are used to replace the KV-X pods when Making History is installed. Since these models are original, the Restock team could use them in Restock+. But they never redid the IVAs, and can't redistribute MH IVA's, so without MH installed the parts don't have IVAs.

Thanks for the explanation!

Typically, the redone parts were done to fall in line with Porkjet's spaceplane parts that include the MK2 and Mk3 cross section parts and as such, these parts are not in scope for a revamp as they already meet the design ethos of ReStock.

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Typically, the redone parts were done to fall in line with Porkjet's spaceplane parts that include the MK2 and Mk3 cross section parts and as such, these parts are not in scope for a revamp as they already meet the design ethos of ReStock.

But the Mk3 parts don't meet Restock standards. Mk1 and 2 do, but Mk3 hasn't exactly aged as well. Texel density is a bit too low for restockalike, endcaps are completely flat, no greeblies to break up the smooth tube, no normal maps, can definitely use some specular adjustment. Maybe not a full remake, but just some improvements like remodeled endcaps and remastered textures can go a long way IMO.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman
Please disregard this post, I'm just an idiot who doesn't know any better

There appears to be a bug with the Restock engine plate that appears when there is a surface attached part between the engine plate and the root part. When that is the case the nodes get completely messed up on the engine plate and this happens:

Spoiler

unknown.png

The same issue still happens no matter how many node attached parts are between the radially attached part and the engine plate. I first noticed this issue with the 1.875m radial attachment node from the upcoming station parts update but it happens with every surface attached part:

Spoiler

unknown.png

2 hours ago, CDSlice said:

There appears to be a bug with the Restock engine plate that appears when there is a surface attached part between the engine plate and the root part. When that is the case the nodes get completely messed up on the engine plate and this happens:

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

The same issue still happens no matter how many node attached parts are between the radially attached part and the engine plate. I first noticed this issue with the 1.875m radial attachment node from the upcoming station parts update but it happens with every surface attached part:

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Does this occur in stocky stock stock too?

14 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Does this occur in stocky stock stock too?

Nope, it works perfectly in pure stock

Spoiler

unknown.png

Both the restock test and the stock test are in 1.11.2

Edited by CDSlice

Hello. I am having problem with structural parts. Attach any radial attachment part to a structural part (girder, I-beam or structural panel) and re-root radial attachment part, then part offset is changed.

IajuUSk.jpg

Re-root Radial attachment point and save and reload.

syZHaW9.png

This is not happening when Restock is uninstalled. Many of my rovers are built this way and they are messed up when loaded with Restock installed. Anyone having same issue?

On 4/19/2021 at 11:09 AM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I would be interested in seeing it ReStocked because then it could also be in RS+

I looked into doing it. the part makes no sense. the CoM is in a nonsensical place, its a similar size to the mk1 can while holding more kerbals, and its RCS is unbalanced

27 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

I looked into doing it. the part makes no sense. the CoM is in a nonsensical place, its a similar size to the mk1 can while holding more kerbals, and its RCS is unbalanced

I wonder if you could possibly scale and simplify the new BDB one. 
If cobalt would allow it.