[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

1 hour ago, Kerbals Gallery said:

For some reason, Restock 1.3.3 removed more than half of the parts. I reinstalled KSP but it didn't help. I wonder if someone else had it 

Hide contents

JQRb79n.pngvg1Vemt.png

Restock doesn't work w 1.12

Welcome to the forums!

On 7/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, dan1ell1ma said:

hello, its possible make a triangular M-1x1 Structural Panel? With a triangle part we can make nice structural ends and finishing work. Maybe a rectangular one to? Thanks! Incredible work! :wub:

And a Circular Structural Panes, of various sizes...

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Scorpiodude said:

So just to be clear this mod is simply cosmetic and all fuel tanks and engines still have the same weights, thrust, and efficiency but with a revamped look, right? So everything preforms the same except for some minor drag cube stuff.

yup

What is the reasoning for not keeping all the physical characteristics of the parts exactly the same, rather than mostly the same? It is possible to change textures and models without modifying the behaviour of the parts at all, right?

6 hours ago, RyanRising said:

What is the reasoning for not keeping all the physical characteristics of the parts exactly the same, rather than mostly the same? It is possible to change textures and models without modifying the behaviour of the parts at all, right?

well aerodynamics is partly calculated based on models, so if you change them, part should behave a little bit different (or so I assume, i'm not really a unity nerd). But from my experience the changes are so small that if you don't especially look for them you don't notice them.

10 hours ago, dezintegracja said:

well aerodynamics is partly calculated based on models, so if you change them, part should behave a little bit different (or so I assume, i'm not really a unity nerd). But from my experience the changes are so small that if you don't especially look for them you don't notice them.

Thought you could manually override drag cubes, and that drag cubes were how the game tells the aero model what a part is shaped like?

7 hours ago, Neebel said:

It does work with 1.12, you just don't get the new docking ports. I'm currently playing with it.

Oh, you do also need to patch over the 2.5m nosecone as well, on account it being technically a new part.  Can just use the same patch as was used for the old one, but for _v3 instead of _v2 I believe. 

Edited by RyanRising

20 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Short answer: Drag cubes are based on models, Restock changes the models so the drag cubes are changed.

Long answer: The restock team could have kept the stock drag cubes, but that would result in the part's behavior having a disconnect with their models. Imagine placing an engine and having it behave differently with regards to aerodynamics then its model suggests, because it's using the stock drag cubes as opposed to ones fitting its model.

Only really a small fraction of the community cares about absolute stock purism (which is really the only reason why you'd want to use the stock drag cubes), so the team appealed to the wider community and went with accurate aerodynamics for the new models. Really, the difference between stock dragcubes and restock dragcubes is incredibly small, as the team made the models to fit the size of stock as much as possible. Only on ships that exploit the aerodynamics system (like that 3-part duna-ike-minmus ship that stratzenblitz made) does it actually create a noticeable difference.

Edited by coyotesfrontier

The new docking ports look awfully similar to what's currently offered in ReStock, it might be prudent to make a stop-gap version where the information for the docking ports is removed. Granted, I'm not a modder, but if this mod is just supposed to override the standard asset directory, leaving the docking ports out, either temporarily or indefinitely would probably be the best solution to ensure that the mod is up to date.

The ports, specifically, were updated rather quickly by Nertea in our development setting but have not gone through testing or quality assurance to ensure that there are no issues. I put my hand up and apologise for that as I have had a lot of social commitments and unforseen circumstances recently which has taken up my time. I know that Nertea is keen to get the next patch out soon(TM) and this may have to be in an 'untested' state if it wants to go out before the end of the month I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

The ports, specifically, were updated rather quickly by Nertea in our development setting but have not gone through testing or quality assurance to ensure that there are no issues. I put my hand up and apologise for that as I have had a lot of social commitments and unforseen circumstances recently which has taken up my time. I know that Nertea is keen to get the next patch out soon(TM) and this may have to be in an 'untested' state if it wants to go out before the end of the month I'm afraid.

I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that this is one of the best mods on these forums. I for one prefer things to be released in a 'tested' state, and if that takes more time, then so be it.

We just had the last(TM) patch for KSP and so I think it makes a lot of sense that a lot of mods take a little longer to be perfected(TM) before they are updated to this version.

I want to say thank you to all who have worked on this mod over the course of its life.

What I actually came here to ask was if work on ReStock+ is happening simultaneously with ReStock or if it's a case of first one, then the other?

On 7/14/2021 at 6:58 AM, DirtyFace83 said:

I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that this is one of the best mods on these forums. I for one prefer things to be released in a 'tested' state, and if that takes more time, then so be it.

We just had the last(TM) patch for KSP and so I think it makes a lot of sense that a lot of mods take a little longer to be perfected(TM) before they are updated to this version.

I want to say thank you to all who have worked on this mod over the course of its life.

What I actually came here to ask was if work on ReStock+ is happening simultaneously with ReStock or if it's a case of first one, then the other?

I second this opinion, when I heard that 1.12 would be the "last" patch it got me sooooo excited for mod authors finally being able to put time in on major mods without having to worry about updates breaking things.

I think there is a patch 1.12.2 or .3 in the pipeline especially in terms of the dockingports (drifting, autostruting, wobble and broken mk2 docking port) bugs in the vanilla KSP soon (tm). Maybe it would be a good idea to wait until this arrives and check then the mod update in order to circumvent mod breaking due to upcoming stock KSP changes/fixes. Maybe this could avoid extra work for the mod team due to double releases with double testing? (also all the other fantastic Nertea Mods, that contain docking ports). 

Think, the actually new rotating docking port mechanics in stock are in an intermediate state between their release and their bugfixing. 

Edited by Rakete

Did something change in a recent update on how .restockblacklist and .restockwhitelist files are read? im using restock and some other mods, specificially mark 3 and mark 2 expansion and mining expansion, all by the same guy. And one thing i noticed is that, they have .restockwhitelist files in their mods but they still show up with parts of the models untextures (just white). their .restockwhitelist files look like their made properly, so i wouldnt know if its something they did wrong on their part. 

also, if i remove .restockblacklist, how much will it impact my RAM usage? a lot? 

5 minutes ago, 123nick said:

recent update

Squad changed some parts directly, like mk2 fuselage docking port, and SuicidalInsanity's mods which reuse stock textures and models are partially broken, because they can't find desired textures now. You'll have to wait for update of those mods.

58 minutes ago, Hohmannson said:

Squad changed some parts directly, like mk2 fuselage docking port, and SuicidalInsanity's mods which reuse stock textures and models are partially broken, because they can't find desired textures now. You'll have to wait for update of those mods.

yeah sorry, i just found that out myself, i shouldve waited before i made the post here. i shouldnt have assumed it was this mod. 

Restock 1.4.0

• KSP 1.12 update
  • Added new part replacements
    • Electrical
      • OX-10C Photovoltaic Panels (Nertea)
      • SP-10C Photovoltaic Panels (Nertea)
      • OX-10L Photovoltaic Panels (Beale)
      • SP-10L Photovoltaic Panels (Beale)
  • Adapted docking port models for new 1.12 rotational functionality
  • Adapted new stock collider for 2.5m nosecone replacement
  • Texture updates for Gigantor

Restock+ 1.4.0

• KSP 1.12 update
  •  Added rotational docking port feature to 3.75m docking port
  • Texture updates for 3.75m docking port

hey folks! just dropping in to say this mod kicks so much ass. ive been using it for years now, esp with station parts expansion redux + metal skins and the like. whoops ass. seriously good work here

with that out of the way... i was wondering if metal skins for cylinder fuel tanks were in the works? i've been hungry for some classy metal capsule tanks ever since i got near future xplo and i found the probe truss buses, but could never make the full metal look work. that being said, i do recognise that mods take a serious amount of time and energy to put work into, and that asking for skins is very much out of the question in the little q&a - just figured i'd ask if they were in consideration, as the existing metal dome tanks are super neat :]

thank you very much for this excellent mod!

edit: i recognise that the 2.5m tanks have a metal skin, i mean the 1.8 / 1.2 tanks. thank you!

Edited by spdx-ksp
2.5m tanks have metal skins; just recognising that fact. sorry!

There is a bug reported about the lights on the Sr docking ports, I will wait a day or two for anything else to crop up before releasing the fix.

Edited by Nertea