[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

On 11/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, Nertea said:

People don't tend to read any resources, but.. https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Restoring-Stock-Parts

It's good that there's documentation for this.  However, having to edit the patch file means the customization will be lost when upgrading to a newer version of ReStock.

As a variant of @Eridan's suggestion, it'd be handy to have a condition on each of the patches, that can be used to disable it — e.g. @PART[liquidEngine3_v2]:NEEDS[!ReStockDisableTerrier], so that someone who wants to use the stock model can make a little patch with :FOR[ReStockDisableTerrier], and ReStock's patch will turn off without having to edit the file.  That'd make it upgrade-friendly.

Edited by Wyzard

16 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

It's good that there's documentation for this.  However, having to edit the patch file means the customization will be lost when upgrading to a newer version of ReStock.

As a variant of @Eridan's suggestion, it'd be handy to have a condition on each of the patches, that can be used to disable it — e.g. @PART[liquidEngine3_v2]:NEEDS[!ReStockDisableTerrier], so that someone who wants to use the stock model can make a little patch with :FOR[ReStockDisableTerrier], and ReStock's patch will turn off without having to edit the file.  That'd make it upgrade-friendly.

The patches run in ReStock’s FOR MM pass so the easier way is to:

+PART[whateverPartYouWant]:BEFORE[ReStock] { @name ^= :$:_Copy }

!PART[originalPartModifiedByReStock]:AFTER[ReStock] {}

@PART[whateverPartYouWant_Copy]:AFTER[ReStock] { @name ^= :_Copy:: }

I probably botched the regex as I’m on mobile and thinking aloud, but this + a personal whitelist for the model/texture should keep working despite updates to ReStock and be portable across installs via a personal tweaks folder.

In case I missed something obvious though, feel free to correct me. 

edit: It’s easier for end-users with no MM experience to do incorrectly though. That I do admit, but that risk is there regardless. 

Edited by Jognt

1 hour ago, Wyzard said:

There will be a new way of doing this in the next version. 

LiIbh1e.png

Full release album

Restock 1.0.0

The team has been super hard at work for the last few months getting the mod to a state we could call 'almost complete'. That is, we've finished almost every planned revamp in the stock game - the real only exception is the wheels, which will come in a future update!

• A full set of beautiful, industrial resourcing parts, with drills, scanners and radiators included
  • The base game's structural parts like trusses, girders and multicouplers
  • Utility parts like landing legs and ladders
  • Struts and fuel lines (check out the variants!)
  • All the new parts from 1.8
  • The few remaining fins that were relics from old, old KSP days

In addition, we took on replacing some of the Making History expansion's parts. More might come later, but we haven't committed to this. 

• The entire suite of fuel tanks, couplers and the like for the 1.875m size class.
  • Several engines (one for each role in the 1.875m size class)

Lastly, there are a lot of fixes and improvements, I'll highlight a few here:

• Depth Masks added to many parts, which allow things like intakes, solar panel boxes and RCS engines to 'cut into' their parent part when clipped
  • Repainted 1.25m engine boattails
  • New variants for many parts, including colour variants for decouplers and some engines

This isn't all - consult the changelog for a list of everything that was added.

Restock+ 1.0.0 

There is also a significant amount of work done in the RS+ department. We've been hard at work filling in gaps in the stock lineups, so expect the following and much more!

• An entire set of 1.875m size class parts including probe cores, reaction wheels, batteries and the like (if you have MH installed, overlapping parts will not show up)
  • A 2.5m nuclear engine
  • Hemispherical fuel tanks in all sizes
  • A few more 0.625m and 3.75m parts that were missing
  • A monopropellant fuel cell!

Consult the changelog for a list of everything that was added.

The usual thanks are due, particularly to @Poodmund, who did so much QA, @cineboxandrew, who did all sorts of great work with parts that actually work mechanically (seriously check out the Klaw up close), @blowfish who wrangled plugins and @DMagic who helped with aero consistency.

Also a shoutout to this update's screenshot division which includes @Beale, @Omega482, @Zorg and @GregroxMun.

Thanks to everyone involved, this release is an amazing milestone in the projects lifetime. I definitely owe Nertea and Cineboxandrew a drink for putting up with my nonsense and putting in a crazy amount of work and effort on getting this release done. 

With this release of ReStock v1.0.0, the project now replaces 65.15% of the Vanilla game assets and introduces many more part variants, it replaces 33.33% of the MH assets and ReStock Plus adds in a further 65 parts to the game.

Another fun fact - the Restock versions of the new Squad 1.8 boosters are between 12 and 20% of the size of the originals, depending on how you count it. That gave us a massive budget for additional variants without increasing the size of the mod vs stock at all. 

Edited by Nertea

@Nertea This is an exemplary mod and one I can no longer play without! Tomorrow I will do a livestream highlight of it for you guys as it's too awesome not to share (and maybe get your team some much deserved donations)!

Edited by Rocketology
because my grammar sucked!

After updating I seem to be missing quite a few engines.

i5IXxwS.png

Old version is on the left, newest is on the right.

The Spacely, Cogswell, Striker SRB and one other SRB are all missing. 

Something seems to have changed in the newest release that Unkerballed start doesn't like.

Edited by Logicsol
More info

T

7 minutes ago, Logicsol said:

After updating I seem to be missing quite a few engines.

Old version is on the left, newest is on the right.

The Spacely, Cogswell, Striker SRB and one other SRB are all missing. 

The Spacely and Cogswell are unfamiliar to me, I'm not sure where those would be from.

The Striker and Mallet were soft-deprecated and now replace the Mite and the Shrimp (see the changelog for more info).

7 minutes ago, Nertea said:

T

The Spacely and Cogswell are unfamiliar to me, I'm not sure where those would be from.

The Striker and Mallet were soft-deprecated and now replace the Mite and the Shrimp (see the changelog for more info).

I originally thought they were restockplus parts, but it looks like they are from Unkerballed start. The soft-deprecation makes sense for the SRBs, as previously I had both sets. But the other two are pretty important heh. 

Something in the new version seems to have broken Unkerballed start(I can reproduce by switching versions), so I'll report this over there.

Edited by Logicsol
more info

1 minute ago, Logicsol said:

I originally thought they were restockplus parts, but it looks like they are from Unkerballed start. The soft-deprecation makes sense for the SRBs, as previously I had both sets. But the other two are pretty important heh. 

Something in the new version seems to have broken Unkerballed start, so I'll report this over there.

It looks like in the picture the two engines are clones of the LV-T45 and LV-T30. We switched to a 'correct' way of MM patching, may have affected things negatively.

Well now that Restock is updated, I'm gonna have to switch to 1.8.1.  

One thing I noticed from the list of bugfixes & tweaks:   " Tweaked Nerv plume to be prettier "

I'm really curious to see how the existing Restock NERV plume can get prettier - it was already so much better than the stock one, it was a good enough reason to use Restock even without the other improvements.  :D

if i use the old plugin will this work on 1.7.3?

EDIT: it loads and everything seems to be here, I’ll do some more tinkering and see

EDIT: the fuel lines don't work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by zakkpaz