[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

40 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

Sorry if this is obvious, but I checked the FAQ and can't figure out if craft files that use ReStock models can be dropped into a stock game. Off the top of my head I think the answer should be no, since CFG file info like specific impulse is stored in the craft files, but I'm not sure if that applies to models. Thanks!

Well yes, because all ReStock does is change the looks of the mods, so unless you change the parts to a variant that doesn't exist in stock, it'll just revert to the stock variant. From my experience. But I haven't tried with downloading a craft with ReStock into a game yet...

Hey, do you know what's happening with the LR87 and LR91 engines? Are they  being revamped, or are they being ignored?

They are two of my personal favorite engines in the game, I'd love a good revamp on those, because I really can't use them from how bad they look per-quod. 

31 minutes ago, kerbalxploder said:

Hey, do you know what's happening with the LR87 and LR91 engines? Are they  being revamped, or are they being ignored?

They are two of my personal favorite engines in the game, I'd love a good revamp on those, because I really can't use them from how bad they look per-quod. 

I don't normally use the Bobcat that much since the Skipper or one of Nertea's cyro engines generally works fine for that but it would be nice to have the Cheetah revamped. It is a very useful engine when you want a bit more thrust than a Terrier but a Poodle is huge overkill.

39 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

I don't normally use the Bobcat that much since the Skipper or one of Nertea's cyro engines generally works fine for that but it would be nice to have the Cheetah revamped. It is a very useful engine when you want a bit more thrust than a Terrier but a Poodle is huge overkill.

I totally agree. 

@Nertea please

Shouldn't it especially please you then to replace Squad's assets with your own? Overwrite that junk? :P

In all seriousness, though, these are just engines like any other. They don't have any of the MH specific issues like for example the service modules do. The bobcat may be somewhat underpowered for its job and lead to slight awkwardness in sizing first stages with it, but that's just a number in a config file that people can patch themselves if they feel like it's an issue.

Besides, there are other team members in the Restock team, right? You don't have to do everything yourself... even if everyone wishes so because your work is so amazing. ;)

11 hours ago, Nertea said:

But I hate making history.

Are. You. Fricking. Kidding. Me.

What about Making history do you hate? Don't you like the 1.875m tanks?? The engines? 

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Shouldn't it especially please you then to replace Squad's assets with your own? Overwrite that junk? :P

I can't agree more. Wasn't the purpose of this mod to make everything look better? If that's not what he hates, what about the DLC does Nertea even hate? Plus, some engines are already revamped from the DLC, I don't see why the revamping shouldn't be overhauled and complete.

Edited by kerbalxploder

12 hours ago, Streetwind said:

In all seriousness, though, these are just engines like any other. They don't have any of the MH specific issues like for example the service modules do. The bobcat may be somewhat underpowered for its job and lead to slight awkwardness in sizing first stages with it, but that's just a number in a config file that people can patch themselves if they feel like it's an issue.

Besides, there are other team members in the Restock team, right? You don't have to do everything yourself... even if everyone wishes so because your work is so amazing. ;)

It is worth looking at the author distribution of the MH parts. I only handled the basic 1.875m suite and 5m suites (the latter only because I was redoing NFLV, too). Of course others can do it, but I can't make anyone do work, obviously. I'm pretty sure we got 80% of the way through one of the two engines, but stuck there. 

7 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

I can't agree more. Wasn't the purpose of this mod to make everything look better? If that's not what he hates, what about the DLC does Nertea even hate? Plus, some engines are already revamped from the DLC, I don't see why the revamping shouldn't be overhauled and complete.

I have maintained forever that any MH parts that get added are additions to scope. They were not part of the original plan. I don't enjoy working on them, and even if I was interested in pestering the rest of the team to do it, I wouldn't, because that's their choice and not mine, no matter how whiny I get. 

I've gone into my problems about the fundamental design of MH in other posts, not interested in rehashing. 

Edited by Nertea

On 11/23/2020 at 5:58 PM, Nertea said:

I have maintained forever that any MH parts that get added are additions to scope. They were not part of the original plan. I don't enjoy working on them, and even if I was interested in pestering the rest of the team to do it, I wouldn't, because that's their choice and not mine, no matter how whiny I get. 

Can't you borrow the models from Bluedoge or something? Didn't you do the same with the LE-7 model for the Skipper?

edit: Getting a lotta hate for this. If I can only delete comments...

Edited by kerbalxploder

It seems to me that Nertea has given a pretty firm "no" here with respect to Making History, and was admirably polite about it, too. Even gave his reasons, though he was under no obligation to do so.

I also note that he's been doing this for a while and knows his business pretty well, so I think that it's safe to assume that he's aware of his options and has reached his conclusion (firm "no") taking that into account.

Accordingly, considering what he's given us all (and continues to give us), I'd like to think that the polite thing to do is for us to take "no" for an answer. :)

Yes, I realize that a lot of folks really like Making History and would love to see an overhaul there.  But since anyone else who cares enough could do the work themselves and release it, perhaps best not to hector the guy who's doing plenty of other sterling work, for free, and who has already indicated he's not interested.

Hi guys

For whomever be interested I've made a whitelist patch for SSTU : (copy it to a .restockwhitelist file in your gamedata)

Spoiler

Squad/Parts/Utility/ServiceBay/
Squad/Parts/Resources/MiniDrill/
Squad/Parts/Utility/commsAntennaDTS-M1/
Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSTankRadial/
Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCStankRadialLong/
Squad/Parts/FuelTank/xenonTankRadial/

:)

Edited by Li0n

19 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

Can't you borrow the models from Bluedoge or something? Didn't you do the same with the LE-7 model for the Skipper?

And what prevents you from just installing the BlueDog? The mod fits perfectly with restock details and expands the possibilities. Why would modders do the work that someone else has done for them and done well?

3 hours ago, Cochies said:

And what prevents you from just installing the BlueDog? The mod fits perfectly with restock details and expands the possibilities. Why would modders do the work that someone else has done for them and done well?

Not the best pc. Loading will take forever, and the dependencies will slow it down. Also, I didn't say they had to completely remake it in the comment you quoted.

Edited by kerbalxploder

18 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

Not the best pc. Loading will take forever, and the dependencies will slow it down. Also, I didn't say they had to completely remake it in the comment you quoted.

Well, it's quite an easy mod to cut down, just go into the parts folder and delete  anything you want, but not 'shared'. 'Probe expansion' is a good one to get rid of.

Edited by KeaKaka

I came here to ask a question about Making History and scrolling through I seem to have gotten my response lol. I honestly think the making history parts are pretty ok on their own. They don't necessarily need a "restock pass" but what my question was going to be was would you ever expanding upon the Making History parts. Obviously @Nerteahas made himself crystal clear about updating the parts. Which I totally understand. However in the does the idea of expanding up on MH like you did with re-stock+ interest you at all? Again this is out of complete curiosity. I am not asking, demand, or or requesting anything. Like I said your feelings about MH are evidently clear. Making say a Soyuz Capsule and service module doesn't interest you? Mk2 (Gemini) service module docking and rcs etc. There are quite a few missing parts in MH. I have been away from KSP for several months so maybe I missed something in terms of a mod or an update but I am surprised that there are little to no mods out there that fill the gaps in MH. Best Wishes, again not trying to add to the "MOAR MH HISTORY PARTS" discussion. Just curious is all. 

7 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

For reference, @sp1989, these MH parts have not been redone in ReStock (all the rest of the MH parts have):

• Munar Excursion Module (M.E.M.)
  • LV-T91 "Cheetah" Liquid Fuel Engine
  • LV-TX87 "Bobcat" Liquid Fuel Engine
  • SP-### Structural Panel Series
  • SM-25 Service Module

AHHH ok forgive my ignorance. Like I said its been quite a few months since I have played. I am working on modding a new game and I haven't played very much yet. This is very good to know. Im still testing stuff and cherry picking mods. I just know from past saves that Re-Stock is essential. I was just looking for soyuz parts and as amazing as Tantares is, in terms of what and how much it adds, I have never been much of a fan of it. I know thats probably blasphemy. I feel like there isn't very many if any truly kerbalized soyuz mods. If they do exist they are no longer maintained. Anyway thanks for the info, astonishing work with Re-stock truly. 

1 hour ago, sp1989 said:

I feel like there isn't very many if any truly kerbalized soyuz mods

Tantares for restockalike and HGR Community Fixes for stockalike(both maintained). Keep in mind, you can delete from Tantares the stuff you doesn't need. For all your Gemini, Mercury needs i recommend Bluedog Design Bureau. Restock and Restock Plus are made to revamp stock parts and add some logically missing parts(sizes, etc.), nothing more

Hey, I feel that I want to keep the size 1 tanks as stock assets, and I tried to make it do so.

However, my efforts did not make a difference. Am I doing something wrong?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXGuY5tvzPCXaW_giErkQ68Ev7he5BS5/view?usp=sharing

I don't think it's even loaded, although take that with a grain of salt, because I merely skimmed through the log.

Can someone help me out?

Edited by kerbalxploder

Anyone ever have issues with the reverse shrouds on the engine plates coming loose before getting decoupled?  I have had this with both the 1.875 and 2.5 in various different lengths.  Its annoying, but seems to be cosmetic even with FAR installed. 

4rKLJjC.jpg

I swear it works fine a bunch of times in a row, and then this happens.  

A12NGsk.jpg

Edited by eberkain

On 11/27/2020 at 2:57 PM, kerbalxploder said:

Hey, I feel that I want to keep the size 1 tanks as stock assets, and I tried to make it do so.

However, my efforts did not make a difference. Am I doing something wrong?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXGuY5tvzPCXaW_giErkQ68Ev7he5BS5/view?usp=sharing

I don't think it's even loaded, although take that with a grain of salt, because I merely skimmed through the log.

Can someone help me out?

Try:

@PART[fuelTankSmallFlat|fuelTankSmall|fuelTank|fuelTank_long]:BEFORE[000_ReStock]
{
	RestockIgnore = True
}

MM expects an actual part name in between the square brackets. Giving it a file name (that isn't even directly related to the source parts) will just confuse it. The pipe character is interpreted as an or, so this code is telling MM to look for parts with the name "fuelTankSmallFlat" or "fuelTankSmall" or "fuelTank" or "fuelTank_long" and apply the RestockIgnore tag to them. And since those are the names of the size 1 stock tanks, the restock ignore should correctly get applied to all of them (and nothing else).