[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

• 2 weeks later...

I am not entirely sure if it is related to restock, but I am encountering a misbehaviour with the stayputnik probe. It ought to be made out of stalinium, since it can endure impacts of 130m/s with the ground without a scratch. Is this a stock bug, or do the meshes have something to do with it? Relevant installed mods: Restock, Sigma+Rescale 2.5x.

The Stayputnik doesn't appear to have any reflections, neither in the editor or in flight.

(I would put screenshots here but I haven't figured out how to do that yet - every time I press "insert image from URL" and try to insert the imgur link (that's how I was told to do that) it flashes red and does nothing. Any help would be appreciated)LkXAFsf.png0yL4v2l.png

36 minutes ago, KawaiiLucy said:

I am not entirely sure if it is related to restock, but I am encountering a misbehaviour with the stayputnik probe. It ought to be made out of stalinium, since it can endure impacts of 130m/s with the ground without a scratch. Is this a stock bug, or do the meshes have something to do with it? Relevant installed mods: Restock, Sigma+Rescale 2.5x.

That is not happening to me

Edited by Just a random person
Figured out how to put images here

2 hours ago, Just a random person said:

The Stayputnik doesn't appear to have any reflections, neither in the editor or in flight.

It seems to work for me, you have reflections turned on? The probe is significantly more muted than the stock 'perfect chrome' look.

39 minutes ago, Nertea said:

It seems to work for me, you have reflections turned on? The probe is significantly more muted than the stock 'perfect chrome' look.

Yes, I did have all the reflection settings turned on. When messing around and turning them off and on again, I noticed that it does actually have a reflection, just very hard to see (you can actually see a slight hint of blue in my second screenshot). I guess I would've preferred a bit more shininess :P

The rest of the mod is amazing, btw 

Dear Nertea and team, dear fellow Kerbonauts,

first of all: the reflections of the Stayputnik work for me (not super shiny but more reflective than the pictures above). I am also super thankful for the Gigantor fix!

Now, here is my question:

I have experienced rapid uncontrolled diassembly of my small Space Station in orbit around Kerbin that was created with Restock and Restock+ parts. Apparently, both "Autostrut = Grandparent" and "Autostrut = Heaviest" lead to the vessel becoming completely bent or parts exploding outright when loading the vessel. Is it possible that Restock does not handle autostruts well because autostrut nodes are not properly aligned? I managed to "fix" my problem by editing the save file and setting all Autostrut entries in the save file to "= Off" before loading the vessel again.

Not sure if this is a base game issue or an issue introduced by Restock parts since I never play KSP without Restock anyway ;)  - but I am scared to build anything larger now as the eye of the Kraken is upon me....

Thanks for your feedback and fly safe :) 

Mods installed:

Restock
Restock+
Scansat
Kerbalism
Astronomer's Visual Pack
Chatterer
Mechjeb
Kerbal Engineer
Trajectories

Edited by Wowa Ilyich

8 minutes ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

Hello I am interested in restock but I prefer the plumes from waterfall (sotck waterfall effects to be specific) can i just remove the plumes from the mod?

You can, but then you'd have to work to get all the plumes to match up with the engines. Poodle's the hardest.

14 hours ago, Wowa Ilyich said:

Dear Nertea and team, dear fellow Kerbonauts,

first of all: the reflections of the Stayputnik work for me (not super shiny but more reflective than the pictures above). I am also super thankful for the Gigantor fix!

Now, here is my question:

I have experienced rapid uncontrolled diassembly of my small Space Station in orbit around Kerbin that was created with Restock and Restock+ parts. Apparently, both "Autostrut = Grandparent" and "Autostrut = Heaviest" lead to the vessel becoming completely bent or parts exploding outright when loading the vessel. Is it possible that Restock does not handle autostruts well because autostrut nodes are not properly aligned? I managed to "fix" my problem by editing the save file and setting all Autostrut entries in the save file to "= Off" before loading the vessel again.

Not sure if this is a base game issue or an issue introduced by Restock parts since I never play KSP without Restock anyway ;)  - but I am scared to build anything larger now as the eye of the Kraken is upon me....

Thanks for your feedback and fly safe :) 

Mods installed:

Restock
Restock+
Scansat
Kerbalism
Astronomer's Visual Pack
Chatterer
Mechjeb
Kerbal Engineer
Trajectories

It seems unlikely that we would have done much here, to my knowledge there is no such thing as an 'autostrut node'. They're just connected to the various nodes which are in the same place as stock ones. 

I have lots of experience with randomly exploding and bending stations in KSP, modded or no!

Edited by Nertea

• 2 weeks later...

Any chances to:

a) have ReStock's Waterfall config use the effects from Stock Waterfall Effects?

b) make ReStock's Waterfall config compatible with Stock Waterfall Effects?

When both configs are installed, the only problematic engine I found was RAPIER because (I'm assuming, I didn't test) it doesn't have a ReStock Waterfall config, so Stock Waterfall's config applies to it but in wrong coordinates, causing this:

Spoiler

58UdubB.png

Wondering what's the point of having both configs installed? To have Waterfall effects for Thud, Aerospike, jet engines and possibly more stock engines unmodified by ReStock.

Edited by Krzeszny

9 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

Wondering what's the point of having both configs installed? To have Waterfall effects for Thud, Aerospike, jet engines and possibly more stock engines unmodified by ReStock.

From Making History, the cheetah and bobcat don't get a plume by waterfallRestock, which it then provides

15 hours ago, JustDark said:

I can't find a roadmap on this mod so I'll ask here: Are there any plans to revamp the spaceplane parts? Cockpits, fuel tanks, maybe wings, etc.?

Those were made by @Porkjet, a legendary modder who made Mk2 and Mk3 that were so good, they became stock, much of ReStock's work is inspired by his style. In a sense, the spaceplane stuff is done already.

Here's some of @Porkjet's ideas on revamping the parts. Look familiar?

iINdJyL.jpg

Don't worry, you can open the image in a new tab.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:08 AM, GuessingEveryDay said:

Those were made by @Porkjet, a legendary modder who made Mk2 and Mk3 that were so good, they became stock, much of ReStock's work is inspired by his style. In a sense, the spaceplane stuff is done already.

Here's some of @Porkjet's ideas on revamping the parts. Look familiar?

iINdJyL.jpg

Don't worry, you can open the image in a new tab.

Which isn’t to say the spaceplane parts are perfect - some are inconsistent with normal maps, for example - but they’re much closer to a coherent style than the rest of the game is.

Noticed while testing this out that the Advanced Grabbing Unit's and AGU Jr.'s lights retain the "on" texture when turned on and then off in the VAB, until the craft is reloaded.

Edit: Just found another small bug - one of the alignment arrows on the Inline Clamp-O-Tron floats a distance away from the tunnel when opened.

jmMVJkR.png

Edited by MrLake

On 9/3/2021 at 4:19 AM, Krzeszny said:

When both configs are installed, the only problematic engine I found was RAPIER because (I'm assuming, I didn't test) it doesn't have a ReStock Waterfall config, so Stock Waterfall's config applies to it but in wrong coordinates, causing this:

Yes, I should probably make something for the RS RAPIER. 

4 hours ago, MrLake said:

Noticed while testing this out that the Advanced Grabbing Unit's and AGU Jr.'s lights retain the "on" texture when turned on and then off in the VAB, until the craft is reloaded.

Light code is a dumpster fire, probably can't do anything about that.

On 9/4/2021 at 2:28 PM, JustDark said:

I can't find a roadmap on this mod so I'll ask here: Are there any plans to revamp the spaceplane parts? Cockpits, fuel tanks, maybe wings, etc.?

Roadmap questions are simple -  no further work is likely to be done on the mod. 

@Nertea, I know  you said no further work is to be done. However, the Commutron 88 antenna always spawns extended even while retracted when launching a vehicle on the runway or launchpad (same issue that solar panel had) It is extended in the VAB/SPH as well even though it is retracted. So we have to extend it, then retract it and then the antenna will go in before launch. Is there anyway you can fix that? Hope it made sense. :)  

Edited by Navyjoker2000