[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

Yes, it's possible to set up TU compatibility with Restock, but for a more thorough tutorial on that I'd recommend asking in the TU or TURD threads. The long and short of its you that you need to know which meshes you want to be shiny and which meshes you want to be matte, then set that up in a properly formatted config file somewhere in your GameData folder.

• 1 month later...

Hello! I'm having a hard time getting rid of one of restocks parts. I like the look of the stock 1.25 service bay, and have already created a white list within the restock game data folder. But that didn't seem to work. I've also looked through the github resources and still cannot find a solution to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT - I figured it out! Didn't realize I had to change the config files in addition to white listing the parts. If anyone else is having an issue I'll be happy to help!

Edited by Elro2k

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 9:32 PM, Elro2k said:

Hello! I'm having a hard time getting rid of one of restocks parts. I like the look of the stock 1.25 service bay, and have already created a white list within the restock game data folder. But that didn't seem to work. I've also looked through the github resources and still cannot find a solution to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT - I figured it out! Didn't realize I had to change the config files in addition to white listing the parts. If anyone else is having an issue I'll be happy to help!

Hello, I'm having problems also with whitelisting parts. What do you mean with moddifying the config files, how do you do it?

On 5/17/2023 at 10:54 AM, lyriclemon said:

Hello, I'm having problems also with whitelisting parts. What do you mean with moddifying the config files, how do you do it?

Ok so the fix is super simple, but there are quite a few steps. Firstly, go into your game data folder and open the restock folder. From there, you'll see a file called "patches"

Open that folder, and find the part you want to change back to the stock design. For the screenshots below, I've chosen the service bay, but this will work for all parts. Open the config file, and look for this section:

LAXsahx.png

Add "_disable" to the part. I'm pretty sure you could add anything here, it's just to break the link in the config. Anyway, after that, go back to your restock folder in gamedata. Find the file with the file type "RESTOCKBLACKLIST"

Create a duplicate of this file, and change the file type to "RESTOCKWHITELIST"

Open it in wordpad, and add whatever part you want to change back to stock. For now, I only have the service bays listed in my white list

B0mWSzB.png

Hope this helps!

On 5/18/2023 at 11:19 PM, Elro2k said:

Ok so the fix is super simple, but there are quite a few steps. Firstly, go into your game data folder and open the restock folder. From there, you'll see a file called "patches"

Open that folder, and find the part you want to change back to the stock design. For the screenshots below, I've chosen the service bay, but this will work for all parts. Open the config file, and look for this section:

LAXsahx.png

Add "_disable" to the part. I'm pretty sure you could add anything here, it's just to break the link in the config. Anyway, after that, go back to your restock folder in gamedata. Find the file with the file type "RESTOCKBLACKLIST"

Create a duplicate of this file, and change the file type to "RESTOCKWHITELIST"

Open it in wordpad, and add whatever part you want to change back to stock. For now, I only have the service bays listed in my white list

B0mWSzB.png

Hope this helps!

It worked just fine! Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I want to report a bug in the latest version of ReStock. Is this the place? If yes, then let me report a bug.

So the Radial and normal Parachutes when they are partially opened they have no textures in between like they are transparent and this is the same case when they are fully opened. When you look at them from the top they have a missing texture and it is transparent. Please fix this and if this is not the place to report it where can I report? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 11:42 AM, CaptWhitmire said:

Fantastic mod! I was wondering if there could be a module manager patch to apply the stock drag model to the retextured parts since with micro missions this could affect some of that. 

The vanilla part colliders were used for the vast majority of the ReStock parts so there should be minimal impact.

On 6/4/2023 at 10:41 PM, PRO_BOY69 said:

Hey I want to report a bug in the latest version of ReStock. Is this the place? If yes, then let me report a bug.

So the Radial and normal Parachutes when they are partially opened they have no textures in between like they are transparent and this is the same case when they are fully opened. When you look at them from the top they have a missing texture and it is transparent. Please fix this and if this is not the place to report it where can I report? Thanks

If you are talking about the gap between the outer and inner sections of the parachute, that's intentional and a component of real spacecraft parachutes
462px-Apollo-17-Landing.jpg(pictured: Apollo 17)
KMsD1kM.png
The two sections are connected by wires (presumably the same material as the parachute lines), i've highlighted some of them

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

13 hours ago, Poodmund said:

The vanilla part colliders were used for the vast majority of the ReStock parts so there should be minimal impact.

Mainly it’s the micro parts. If you’ve seen videos from people like Vaos then you can see he had to remove ReStock since it changed those values. 

5 hours ago, SwissArmyKnife said:

Can anyone take a guess as to why my launch clamps render on the launchpad but not in the VAB? There was an old issue on Git from someone on OSX using OpenGL 3.3, I'm on Win 10 x64 running KSP 1.12.4 and I'm seeing the trusses on the pad.

Example Image

Here's my log: https://filebin.net/spovapo21k7bzqlk

Hey thanks for digging up that issue, that gives me a clue about what's going wrong.

In order to fix the "HDR transparency" issue, TUFX has to replace all the stock shaders with versions that clamp the alpha channel.  Unfortunately there are also other slight differences in the shaders that result in artifacts like this.  I'd bet the replacement doesn't support instancing...but I have no idea why that would only happen in the VAB unless restock doesn't use the instancing shader in the flight scene.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 3:15 PM, Quadub said:

What if I want to return one part from the vanilla game, how do I do it? I like how the Communotron HG-55 looks like, but the mod version does not fit my ideas, nor does it look like...

It has something to do with restock whitelist; I hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...

@Nertea - hey, since you're the OG dev, maybe you will be able to help me. I have a problem with Restock pods and heatshields when using FAR.  I'm researching this problem for 2 days now and although I could test a thing or two more, I'm pretty sure at this stage that the problem lies with Restock. 

The problem: Restock heatshields generate a strong yawing moment, while pods an even stronger pitching moment. I'm pretty sure all pods and heatshields are affected but I'm mostly focused on Mk1-3 pod and 2.5 m heatshield. The bigger pod or heatshield, the stronger the moment. Stock models do not have this problem. What boggles me is that this particular pod and this particular heatshield use virtually the same config files as Restock parts, since Restock more or less only patches the model and doesn't tweak other settings (or does it?). Besides I made sure that CoL's, CoP's and CoM's are not the problem. Yet, for a reason I can't figure out, FAR sees Restock parts differently enough to introduce these moments. It must be something about geometry, maybe some invisible parts of the model?  I should add that FAR voxeling detects model shapes correctly but I'm not sure if this is the only thing FAR uses to determine forces acting on a body. 

So my question to you as the dev: is there something about these models not clearly visible to a player that in your opinion could cause this behaviour? Some misaligned points of origin or sth?

@JebIsDeadBaby I don't want to seem patronising, but it's nice to read a request for support that is respectful and polite!

This is the sort of annoying problem that needs more info to address than simple text. for the very best problem-solving we need pictures (better still add a craft file), a FULL mod list, and LOGS; as is addressed in the thread:

With all that, it is most likely that some advice will be forthcoming.

That, I am afraid, is the ugly Hydra that raises its head when it comes to running mods in KSP1 - there are too many mods with too many interactions for quick and easy problem-solving.

My first, ill-informed thought, is that this sounds like you may be getting an over-slow physics and/or FAR simulation rate. That can exaggerate yaw effects under FAR. My new machine simulates reentry with much better stability than my previous, underwhelming PC could manage.

On my PC (running FAR and Restock heatshields and capsules), reentry capsules show very little yaw. They can yaw, and I have found that momentum wheels make it worse. Accordingly I either:

• Turn off pitch and yaw to the momentum wheels (in the capsule PAW), or:
  • I turn off the momentum wheels altogether and use RCS to control roll.

I have tried turning off SAS altogether, but that makes it hard to control roll and thus direct lift as I intend.

Good luck! You may get better than a Mickey-Mouse flight tutorial with the info I suggested.

@softweir - I don't expect him to solve or even to work on my problem, that's why I don't throw mod lists and logs at him. I want him to take a look at the original mesh files to check if there is anything that could be related to heat shield yawing (or capsule pitching). I kinda don't buy FAR simulation rate idea. Original 2,5 m heat shield and Restock replacement are almost identical in shape. They should behave equally bad or good with FAR. Unless my understanding of what FAR actually does is wrong, which it seems it is. But I have two almost identical shapes that behave completely different, so my guess is that there is something not visible in-game about Restock model that may be the cause of this and I'd like to know his opinion. 

EDIT: an observation I made after some further testing - I use  DecouplerShroud mod that comes with a custom decoupler. I use the custom one when I want to have a conical shroud instead of cylindrical one but sometimes I use it for standard cylindrical shrouds as well. I just noticed that both decouplers affect  the way FAR sees the part that was attached to them AFTER decoupling, in my case - the heat shield. I use FAR's Exposure feature from the FAR debug tab for a preview. After decoupling from the standard restock decoupler, a shape of the heat shield is visible in Exposure preview. After decoupling from the DecouplerShroud's custom decoupler the heat shield appears cylindrical, as if FAR was still seeing the shroud from the decoupler. This affects the behaviour of the vessel on reentry. WITH this phantom shroud Restock heat shield IS STABLE (no yawing moment). WITHOUT it, so when the original geometry of the heat shield is preserved, Restock heat shield is unstable.  Stock heat shield is stable in both cases. Which again leads me to the conclusion that it has something to do with Restock part mesh or config. But I know too little about this game to say if this phantom shroud is a drag cube, a collider, or whatever the hell it is...

I'll try to test tomorrow is pods are affected by this in the same way. 

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

I ran into a problem with ReStock, while playing a new career in 'Probes Before Crew.'

The 0.625 heatshield wasn't providing any meaningful occlusion to the OCTO probe core. After a lot of time figuring the problem to be in the heatshields, it turned out its in the probes. These things are all so tiny that even a little bit of discrepancy in the CUBE MESH that populates heat and aero properties, can significantly alter the heat-profile of the parts.

So after spending a day learning module manager, cube meshes, and looking under the hood at ReStock, I fixed it with a few edits to the restock-probes.cfg under Patches/Command. If anyone else has been scratching their head over probes exploding on easy-returns, here's your fix:

https://github.com/roninpawn/ReStock-0.625m-Probes-Heatshields-FIX/

7 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

that's why I don't throw mod lists and logs at him

Please don't (not) do this.  It's *way* better to have all the info up front than have to ask for it later.  I have a policy of not investigating bug reports until a log file is provided because *way too many times* it's a simple installation issue or conflict with another mod that is trivial to determine with the log file.  And if there's a real issue and especially when it's an issue with multiple mods interacting, having the log file means you know exactly what mods and what versions were installed.

Also, with the blender plugin you could look at the mesh files to compare them.

Edited by JonnyOThan