[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

On 5/7/2020 at 11:13 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

When I upgraded from Restock/+ 1.0.3 to 1.1.0 in KSP 1.8.1, it caused an exception and subsequent failure of the Kerbal Research and Development mod. This only happens with Restock/+ v1.1.x, but happens with just those two mods and their dependencies installed. Anyone else having the same problem?

I am not sure if this issue is related, but using ReStock and ReStock Plus (latest versions) in combination with (I think... but not 100% sure) DMagic Orbital Science and also the newest DMModuleAnimateScienceGeneric download installed at the same time, such that there are 2 Dmagic Folders in GameData (DMagicOrbitalScience and DMScienceAnimate), creates an issue. I thought it was KRnD at first...

It may also involve an interaction with Automated Science Sampler and [x] Science! too - and, while there are other utility mods installed on my test game, I don't think they're related to the issue...

Whether or not the symptoms occur without ASS and xScience, they are readily visible when the two are installed, so they're helpful.

Symptoms are: With RS/RS+ and DMagic Orbital and the new DMScienceAnimate and ASS and xScience, mystery goo and materials bay experiments *appear* to be collected (for example, you can right click on the parts and gather science, or you can use xScience's here and now function), but the experiments are not stored, and are also therefore not transferred automatically by ASS; they're then inoperable, there's no option to reset, and they register "No more samples can be collected" if you try to collect science from them via the right-click menu. Other, not-single-run experiments seem to collect and get transferred normally.

The weird thing about this problem is that the issue goes away when either RS/RS+ or the new version of DMScienceAnimate is removed, but having both together makes some kind of problem.

Anyway, I think it's possible to reproduce by doing this:

1. Install RS/RS+, ASS (normal download from ASS thread), and [x] Science!; use the most recent xScience DLL from the last page of the [x] Science! renewed thread.

2. Start career game with lots of funds and science, unlock appropriate science parts, put them on a craft, launch it on the runway (or probably wherever).

3. ASS will auto-collect (depending on how settings have been configured) everything but the mystery goo and materials experiments. Using [x] Science! here and now to collect mystery goo and materials won't produce any result; right clicking on the experiments and collecting will result in "No more samples can be collected." (I think).

4. Removing RS/RS+ will allow experiments to function as normal - or, alternatively, leaving RS/RS+ but removing the new DMModuleAnimateScienceGeneric.dll (which I got from here, I think: https://github.com/DMagic1/DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric) will also return experiments' functions to normal (and allows ASS to auto-collect and transfer, and also allows xScience Here and Now to collect experiments)

Here is a log where I go through that process with RS, RS+, Dmagic Orbital, this DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric (https://github.com/DMagic1/DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric), ASS and xScience installed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4t2nlbuct91mn9/KSPLog_ReSTcokScienceThingWITHrestocks.log?dl=0

Here is a log with the same setup where I start a game and do basically the same thing, but removed only RS and RS+: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oka0ahzlx0ys4hw/KSPLog_RestockSciencethingAFTERremovingRestocks.log?dl=0

Hope any of that makes sense.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

2 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

I am not sure if this issue is related, but using ReStock and ReStock Plus (latest versions) in combination with (I think... but not 100% sure) DMagic Orbital Science and also the newest DMModuleAnimateScienceGeneric download installed at the same time, such that there are 2 Dmagic Folders in GameData (DMagicOrbitalScience and DMScienceAnimate), creates an issue. I thought it was KRnD at first...

It may also involve an interaction with Automated Science Sampler and [x] Science! too - and, while there are other utility mods installed on my test game, I don't think they're related to the issue...

Whether or not the symptoms occur without ASS and xScience, they are readily visible when the two are installed, so they're helpful.

Symptoms are: With RS/RS+ and DMagic Orbital and the new DMScienceAnimate and ASS and xScience, mystery goo and materials bay experiments *appear* to be collected (for example, you can right click on the parts and gather science, or you can use xScience's here and now function), but the experiments are not stored, and are also therefore not transferred automatically by ASS; they're then inoperable, there's no option to reset, and they register "No more samples can be collected" if you try to collect science from them via the right-click menu. Other, not-single-run experiments seem to collect and get transferred normally.

The weird thing about this problem is that the issue goes away when either RS/RS+ or the new version of DMScienceAnimate is removed, but having both together makes some kind of problem.

1. Install RS/RS+, ASS (normal download from ASS thread), and [x] Science!; use the most recent xScience DLL from the last page of the [x] Science! renewed thread.

2. Start career game with lots of funds and science, unlock appropriate science parts, put them on a craft, launch it on the runway (or probably wherever).

3. ASS will auto-collect (depending on how settings have been configured) everything but the mystery goo and materials experiments. Using [x] Science! here and now to collect mystery goo and materials won't produce any result; right clicking on the experiments and collecting will result in "No more samples can be collected." (I think).

4. Removing RS/RS+ will allow experiments to function as normal - or, alternatively, leaving RS/RS+ but removing the new DMModuleAnimateScienceGeneric.dll (which I got from here, I think: https://github.com/DMagic1/DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric) will also return experiments' functions to normal (and allows ASS to auto-collect and transfer, and also allows xScience Here and Now to collect experiments)

Here is a log where I go through that process with RS, RS+, Dmagic Orbital, this DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric (https://github.com/DMagic1/DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric), ASS and xScience installed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4t2nlbuct91mn9/KSPLog_ReSTcokScienceThingWITHrestocks.log?dl=0

Here is a log with the same setup where I start a game and do basically the same thing, but removed only RS and RS+: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oka0ahzlx0ys4hw/KSPLog_RestockSciencethingAFTERremovingRestocks.log?dl=0

Completely unrelated, but I have seen that sort of thing happen on some rare occasions using older versions of Restock and many other mods besides, unable to reproduce them though.

5 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

When DMagic's generic science module is installed ReStock switches to that instead of the regular stock science module. Extra visuals for example.

There's recently been some activity around DMagic's ScienceGeneric module and science collection mods, I'm guessing ReStock is affected by some of those changes.
I'd recommend bringing this up in the ASS/Xscience thread, or wait/hope for them to support DMagic's module.

In the meantime, uninstalling DMScienceAnimateGeneric should fix the stock experiments. Orbital Science experiments will still have problems with some science collection mods as they always have though.

Edit: Running the experiments via their own PAW should still work. Also, ScienceAlert ReAlerted properly supports the module so works.

Edited by Jognt

On 5/10/2020 at 2:38 PM, cineboxandrew said:

I'm unable to reproduce this bug, do you have more information?

Not really at the moment:/, I've too busy to play the last couple days.  Plan to try a fresh download later, if there's anything you want me to test or specific information that might help lmk. 

suspect it's just on my end somehow, cause it happens every time and somebody else would have noticed by now.

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

I think there may be a bug with the LT-2 landing struts.

In stock, they are significantly stronger than the LT-1 struts, but with ReStock installed they’ve actually become weaker than the LT-1 struts.

I did some quick tests dropping a mk2 lander can w/ 2 Rockomax jumbo tanks and 4 landing struts. It didn’t appear that the LT-1 strut strength changed going to Restock, but the LT-2 went from surviving a drop of 2/3 of the VAB height in stock to only a couple of meters with Restock.

Do I have already said I love Restock? Rescue craft for the Kerbin substem. Tech tree level requirement <= 6 (claw and spherical tanks are 6), costs 12065 kerbucks.

200514044453437616.png

200514044453713463.png

200514044453983388.png

200514044453355888.png

Yeah Soyuz vehicles are always a good source of inspiration.

2810 m/s of dV in vacuum. The whole thing comes back on Kerbin, 4 high speed chutes are hidden under the claw, the fairing hides 4 standard chutes, 2 batteries and one 1.25m reaction wheel. Landing in water is highly recommended.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

4 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I'm seeing an error in the log from restock-claw-625-1.cfg.  The word subcategory is misspelled as subcatagory

subcategory = 0

Good spot, fix has been pushed to the repo.

small/not-even-really critique/feedback

RCS/monopropellent tanks could use some work.

firstly in terms of textures since they lack any options.

Secondly in terms of sizes available, maybe a thinner-2.5m monoprop tank like the old KSP-X/part-expansion-pack had.

Other than that I love the options and textures provided.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:24 PM, ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

I think there may be a bug with the LT-2 landing struts.

In stock, they are significantly stronger than the LT-1 struts, but with ReStock installed they’ve actually become weaker than the LT-1 struts.

I did some quick tests dropping a mk2 lander can w/ 2 Rockomax jumbo tanks and 4 landing struts. It didn’t appear that the LT-1 strut strength changed going to Restock, but the LT-2 went from surviving a drop of 2/3 of the VAB height in stock to only a couple of meters with Restock.

I've opened an issue on the github about this, and I'm honestly at a loss how to fix this. I've spent the last several hours double and triple checking my mesh against the stock one without finding any differences that should affect gameplay. I did find that if my test vehicle exploded depended on how long after the flight scene loaded, so I think the stock wheel/leg module is just inherently unreliable, but the restock model appears to still be exploding more. 

If anyone can find a good way of fixing this, please let me know.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:44 AM, cineboxandrew said:

I've opened an issue on the github about this, and I'm honestly at a loss how to fix this. I've spent the last several hours double and triple checking my mesh against the stock one without finding any differences that should affect gameplay. I did find that if my test vehicle exploded depended on how long after the flight scene loaded, so I think the stock wheel/leg module is just inherently unreliable, but the restock model appears to still be exploding more. 

Could be due to restock disabling autoBoost in many (all?) parts with suspensions as part of its CFG changes?

As far as I can tell: Autoboost is what makes them ‘boost up’ sometimes. Y’know. That annoying thing that flips Rovers. 

It’s also responsible for adjusting strength when loads change/get high enough though :/.

[/as far as I can tell]

Edited by Jognt
Apparently I had a brainfart.

58 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Could be due to restock disabling autoBoost in many (all?) parts with suspensions as part of its CFG changes?

As far as I can tell: Autoboost is what makes them ‘boost up’ sometimes. Y’know. That annoying thing that flips Rovers. 

It’s also responsible for adjusting strength when loads change/get high enough though :/.

[/as far as I can tell]

Autoboost? I have no idea what you're talking about. Restock makes no config changes to the landing legs that should affect gameplay

2 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

Autoboost? I have no idea what you're talking about. Restock makes no config changes to the landing legs that should affect gameplay

That’s.. odd. Apologies, I must’ve mixed up something. 

On 5/18/2020 at 7:44 PM, cineboxandrew said:

Thanks for looking into this issue.

I did a little more investigating and it seems to occur when the LT-2 strut gets fully compressed. Even on a static, landed craft, if you gradually reduce the spring force, once the landing strut fully compresses it explodes. This doesn’t happened with the LT-1 strut though.

No idea what that means though in terms of the mesh and collision physics...

Incidentally, the fixed landing struts that are included as an extra in Restock don’t suffer this issue so they are actually very impact resistant.

1 minute ago, SpaceFace545 said:

@NerteaI really think you should make the SABRE engines burn liquid hydrogen cause they do in real life, just a suggestion.

Not really the right thread,  it's not hard to do that (see many examples in my mods). However do consider that 'because it is like this in RL' is rarely a good gameplay mechanic. 

Just now, Nertea said:

Not really the right thread,  it's not hard to do that (see many examples in my mods). However do consider that 'because it is like this in RL' is rarely a good gameplay mechanic. 

true, is there a file in the part that would change it to burn hydrogen, I'm thinking about messing around with part values.

13 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

true, is there a file in the part that would change it to burn hydrogen, I'm thinking about messing around with part values.

Well, first you need to add liquid hydrogen to the game, because it doesn't exist out of the box. You can do this either by installing a mod that adds it for you, or by writing a RESOURCE_DEFINITION{ } yourself. See ...\GameData\Squad\Resources\ResourcesGeneric.cfg for reference.

Then, you can mod the engine itself. You can edit the part config file directly, but I advise against that; use Module Manager instead. It ships together with Restock, so you don't need to install it. Module Manager's syntax is documented in its own thread here on the forums, and is very easy to learn.

To switch fuel types, you need to delete the PROPELLANT{ name = LiquidFuel } node inside MODULE{ name = ModuleEnginesFX }. You then add a new PROPELLANT{ } node for the liquid hydrogen. Choose the ratio field so that your desired mixture ratio is achieved. In order to change the engine's specific impulse, modify atmosphereCurve{ }. Finally, if you want to change thrust as well, the field maxThrust should be self-explanatory.

Of course, that doesn't let you build a rocket just yet. You also need fuel tanks that store liquid hydrogen. You can, again, install a mod that provides some, or make your own with Module Manager by copying a stock fuel tank and replacing its RESOURCE{ } node(s).