[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

35 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Still no promises, anything you get is a bonus!

That works for me, dude.  Happy to see anything you guys do.

My compliments to Andrew Cassidy and the new Science Jr.  I nearly fell out of my chair with how fun it is on the inside. 

qquZV8x.png

:o

I'm not even launching stuff, just admiring things inside the VAB. Shockingly good.

Edited by klesh
had to add a pic...

25 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

@adm-frb There is something you can do that's even more elegant than just removing the ReStock patch. You get to keep the reskinned one and the stock pod both (although as separate parts, not as variants of the same part), and you don't have to go and delete the ReStock config again every time you update the mod. As long as you keep the whitelist file and the MM patch below, it should just continue working unchanged through updates.

Try putting the following into a blank text file somewhere in your GameData folder:

+PART[mk1-3pod]:NEEDS[ReStock]:FIRST
{
    @name = mk1-3pod-old
    @title = Mk1-3L Legacy Command Pod
}

Save your file, change the file extension from .txt to .cfg, and you're done.

Whenever ReStock is installed, this patch spawns a copy of the stock Mk1-3 pod before Module Manager even loads ReStock, changes the internal part ID of the copy to be different from the original (required for the copy to exist, but also prevents ReStock's patches from affecting it), and changes the ingame display name slightly (optional, but recommended). Now - assuming you also restore the ReStock patch you previously deleted - you'll have two three-person pods in your game: the original Squad one, and the fancy ReStock one.

Will try later

58 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Hiding MH parts would be annoying IMO. If you hid them, players with MH and RS+ installed would see only the RS+ part, build a ship with them, and then be surprised if they removed RS+ and the ship broke. However, the reverse (ship breaking if MH is removed) makes more sense to the less mod-savvy player - remove stock content and of course you expect breakage.

This makes me sad :( 

But then, I checked the features section in this thread and all the references to Making History parts mentioned replacing MH with Restock+. At this point, I have no idea, what was I talking about in the previous post. I'm so confused!

Anyways, with the "issues" on GitHub displaying plans for a 1.875m heat shield, and 5m decoupling thingies, I'll leave this subject alone, as I can't even comprehend it. :confused:     Even more so, when I found out that the "advanced mode" in the VAB/SPH part selection menu allows me to build this monstrosity:

COj2d2S.jpg

Frankenstein would be proud.

Edited by MuchozolF

Not going to lie I really don't like these new parts.

I   ❤️❤️❤️L O V E❤️❤️❤️   them and I will trade you 10 of my camels plus a goat to ask for this mod's hand in marriage.

Edited by Vahnskir

@Streetwind

Added this config file

+PART[mk1-3pod]:NEEDS[ReStock]:FIRST
{
    @name = mk1-3pod-old
    @title = Mk1-3L Command Pod
    @description = Many Kerbals have asked what the 'L' means. Verner's answer was beyond simple. "This is the old version of the Mk1-3 Command Pod. It does not mean 'Lunch!'"
}

GameData>Mk1-3L>Mk1-3L.cfg

34 minutes ago, Vahnskir said:

Not going to lie I really don't like these new parts.

I   ❤️❤️❤️L O V E❤️❤️❤️   them and I will trade you 10 of my camels plus a goat to ask for this mod's hand in marriage.

Tyko hands @Vahnskir a towel....on second thought...Tyko throws a towel from a safe distance and runs  :)  

I haven't had time to put these thoughts onto "paper" yet, so I'm writing this on mobile, on the bus, so it is likely going to be filled with quality autocorrections and inconsistent thought patterns, plus daft things the mobile version of the forum software does.

Years ago, before 1.0 I started making some mod parts. At first, just to get a few bits to add to @nyrath 's Orion mod. As time went on, I learnt about the various factors in 3d modelling, as I was a complete noob.  Eventually I did my first stock alike mod. Which was itself a challenge and taught me a lot about things like UVs that I'd been studiously ignoring.

Time passed, I'm still making parts, although my spare time seems to have evaporated, and my benchmark of stock parts has become erratic, and I think I'm at the point where making things like stock is something that's behind me.  I got better, but stock got (not necessarily worse) more erratic.  There wasn't really one style to aim for, or a pixel density, or a polygon/vertex density.

And along comes restock. It's full of really really well done parts, with consistent style and texture density, and frugal on vertices while looking expletively great. And, that's really great, it's a new benchmark. A new goal.

The stock alike is dead. Long live restock alike.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

You might want to post your log. Usually missing texture = broken and won't load part though, not white. 

I looked into the log and found out all parts with white textures have an error like this:

[ERR 19:22:47.010] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture 'Nerva003' as cannot find texture 'Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-N/model000' to replace with

It works when I whitelist that. Thanks.

For linux players, I used this command line to generate a whitelist from the KSP.log file:

<KSP.log grep "to replace with" | cut -d"'" -f4 | rev | cut -d"/" -f2- | rev | sort | uniq | sed -e 's/$/\//'

Edited by lodestar

9 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

Hmm... couple of small bugs/incompatibilities.

The 0.625m inline Reaction Wheel has an issue with the lights from IndicatorLights being positioned floating in space and extra-large. This appears to be because the stock 0.625 Reaction Wheel has a Rescale Factor of 0.5 built in, while the ReStock part does not... so the Indicator Lights people doubled the scale and position coordinates for the lights. It's easily corrected by undoing this doubling in their config file. A patch could do the same... just not sure if that would be more appropriate to put here or there.

Second, the FL-T400 and FL-T800, for me, have their attachment nodes misplaced, well inside the models. I also don't see any "newness" of those models/textures... they just look like the Making History models. Is there some way to force the game to use ReStock parts even if Making History is installed?

qDnHqfh.png

Edit: Okay, I removed Community Part Titles, thinking something with renaming the parts might have broken the model replacements...

The result is baffling.

Now the FL-T800 is fine, nodes in the correct places.

The FL-T400 is still off...

And now the FL-T200 is off.

The proportion that the nodes are misplaced seems proportional to the length of the fuel tank, as if maybe it's using one model file and it's just stretching the length dimension and applying different textures? But... why would different ones be misplaced depending on a part renaming mod?

IIRC those textures are the Porkjet revamped ones. They don’t have anything to with MH. They’re one of the things where I really prefer Stock.

Congrats on release... and on first bugfix release!

Big ups to everyone posting screenshots... I won't have time to update KSP and get Restock installed until this weekend at the earliest, so I'm still internally operating in pre-release hype mode.

@Nertea et al.... do you folks have any particular suggestions or recommendations for other mods that enhance part visuals? I'm wondering particularly if you use anything to enhance the shape of stock fairings. (The only one that I know of is Procedural Fairings, which is practically an antiquity these days - I never followed it, so I don't know if it's still a suitable replacement for stockalike fairings.)

Make the Stayputnik holders shroudlike as in SXT dontstayputnik

Mk1 and Mk2 docking ports look as the old clampotron instead of the new style

Twin Boar has a shorter internal tank than Jumbo64 yet holds the same amount of fuel

The  HG-20 is messed up and does not load

IndicatorLights support?

Mk1 Command Pod's top hatch is slightly shifted in the "White" variant

Mk1 pod pure white variant? (without grey stripes)

Boattail engines don't have shrouds

Spark in the base variant shows up with a shroud even if nothing is below

Boattail Poodle?

...So there is a mix of bug reports and suggestions.

p.s. I LOVE the Boars!

Edited by Gapone

On 3/6/2019 at 12:20 AM, Nertea said:
  • 150 revamped parts...

Wow, not even counting the additional new ones... I had no idea you guys had made so much progress so fast, I was all settled in for a couple more months of Thursday updates! 

Congrats on release to everyone involved, it's always a great moment when a mod gets to move from the development forum to releases, let alone two that have been so closely watched by the community and sorely needed for so long.  Thanks for all your hard work, can't wait to try everything out!

Hi, this is truly awesome!! love it

Question tho, if I want to stick with Vens Stock revamp solar panels, if I delete the " restock-solarpanels" cfg in restock/patches/electrical, should be fine right?

Thanks!

EDIT: Resolved by FAR version 15.9.7

I've been having some issues getting certain ReStocked engines to work well with FAR. Some seem to tip over so much more often than others.

So far I've only gotten SRBs and the Skipper into orbit smoothly with FAR.

I've tried Boar and Mainsail, but unless TWR is kept extremely high (well beyond 2) they will spin wildly or tip over.

I don't know what to make of it yet - purging PartDatabase.cfg didn't work. I'm trying out disabling the custom DRAG_CUBE {}s included in ReStock, but it's taking me some time to finish the configs for testing.

Spoiler

Stock Mastodon - all variants work correctly

tumblr_po1jdvsVAo1rsd285o3_1280.jpg

ReStock Skipper - all variants work correctly

tumblr_po1jdvsVAo1rsd285o4_1280.jpg

ReStock Mainsail - extreme drag

tumblr_po1jdvsVAo1rsd285o2_1280.jpg

ReStock Boar - extreme spinning

tumblr_po1jdvsVAo1rsd285o1_1280.jpg

CryoEngines 2.5m - works fine

tumblr_po1jdvsVAo1rsd285o5_1280.jpg

ReStock Vector - tipping + spinning

tumblr_po1jdvsVAo1rsd285o7_1280.jpg

ReStock Twin Boar - Jeb's Wild Ride

tumblr_po1jdvsVAo1rsd285o6_1280.jpg

Edited by Eridan

More Info on the FAR troubleshooting:

FAR Version:

Spoiler

"NAME"     : "Ferram Aerospace Research",
  "DOWNLOAD" : "https://github.com/dkavolis/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/releases",
  "URL"      : "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkavolis/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/master/GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/FAR.version",
  "GITHUB" : {
    "USERNAME"   : "dkavolis",
    "REPOSITORY" : "Ferram-Aerospace-Research"
  },
  "VERSION" : {
    "MAJOR" : 0,
    "MINOR" : 15,
    "PATCH" : 9,
    "BUILD" : 6
  }

Debug Voxels as seen with FAR

Stock Mastodon (works fine)

tumblr_po1mn7Bp7U1rsd285o1_500.jpg

ReStock Vector (almost impossible to fly in an atmosphere)

tumblr_po1mn7Bp7U1rsd285o2_1280.jpg

Spoiler

ReStock Twin Boar - Jeb's Wild Ride

tumblr_po1mn7Bp7U1rsd285o3_1280.jpg

ReStock Mammoth - Lord of Dra(n)g(leic)

tumblr_po1n2dLW671rsd285o1_1280.jpg

I'll post more findings once I get even just one of these to work in FAR.

Edited by Eridan

Feel free to slap me as much as you can but I have literally no idea how to install this into KSP, I haven't migrated to Steam and am using Mechjeb so I chucked it in the same folder as such, but alas I'm not sure *where* it goes or if I've even installed it properly in the first place. As I said, feel free to slap/beat me as appropriate but I'd love to use this.

I've found a bug where the Rhino engine's exhaust comes out the behind of the engine when pointing retrograde. See the screenshot. I have used TweakScale to scale the engine down to 2.5m, so I don't know if that is the cause of the issue. I can't test anything right now as I'm on the Mun, but has anyone else seen this? Many thanks for an incredible mod as well!

Edited by deflatedfruit
fixed the link

Love the new looks from Restock.

But after installing Restock and Restock+ I got an error message in game. I use RemoteTech, and several of my craft in flight were using the LongAntenna2/Communotron 32 from RT, and after Restock the parts vanished (both from the craft and the parts lists in VAB/SPH). Uninstalled both Restock and Restock+ and the parts returned.

34 minutes ago, Treveli said:

Love the new looks from Restock.

But after installing Restock and Restock+ I got an error message in game. I use RemoteTech, and several of my craft in flight were using the LongAntenna2/Communotron 32 from RT, and after Restock the parts vanished (both from the craft and the parts lists in VAB/SPH). Uninstalled both Restock and Restock+ and the parts returned.

They probably use stock models or textures that are unloaded due to the restock blacklist. RT will need to include a .restockwhitelist file in the next version. Submit the bug report to them.

14 hours ago, lodestar said:

<KSP.log grep "to replace with" | cut -d"'" -f4 | rev | cut -d"/" -f2- | rev | sort | uniq | sed -e 's/$/\//'

That actually leaves too much, this will whitelist the entire directory.

Since the KSP.log so kindly lists the exact file, this would be better:

<KSP.log grep "to replace with" | cut -d"'" -f4 | sort | uniq

And, since of course every programmer has their own way of doing things, I'd do it slightly differently:

grep "to replace with" KSP.log | cut -d"'" -f4 | sort | uniq

just a personal preference, there is NOTHING wrong with the first one above