[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

3 hours ago, Snark said:

it's fairly safe bet that they know what they're doing and have good reasons for their approach.

I got it: he didn't want to load separate textures for part variants!

50 minutes ago, Gapone said:

I got it: he didn't want to load separate textures for part variants!

As can be seen by their inclusion of a white-list approach and work on code to unload old models/textures, it can be seen that efficiency is a major part of this mod; as such, using variants that keep hold of the original parts while also allowing you to select the new one doesn't really make sense as that is counter-productive to what they are working towards. On top of that, there are a number of bugs and issues with using model changes in variants in regards to more than just textures; for example: attachment nodes, drag cubes, animation mesh names, jettison mesh names, etc.

3 hours ago, Nafiu Sean said:

Does this mod work with mods that modifies or adds something to every command module, let's say a mod like Kerbalism?

Yes. I have an old mechjeb everywhere module manager patch that I use, and it loads perfectly.

It would be REALLY awesome if this mod was merged with Ven's Stock Revamp. A lot of parts from both mods are equally incredible, but Ven's and Restock overlap eachother. If you somehow will manage to add Ven's Stock textures as additional part variants... this will be the best retexture mod for KSP for sure.

2 hours ago, Dave1806 said:

That mod deleted all of my things that I built so far... Now I have to build my space station again. Thank you.

P.S: It just deleted all of the parts that it was supposed to replace. :mad:

Sorry you're having problems. We can try to help but need more information.

• Do you have a previous save? even if that save isn't current, if the station is in it there are ways to pull it out of the save file.
  • Was your station using stock parts only or were you using other mods? which ones?
  • When you launch the game and there were problems with existing craft the game generally gives a warning at startup that existing craft will break. Did you not get a warning like this?
1 hour ago, TIkonOR said:

It would be REALLY awesome if this mod was merged with Ven's Stock Revamp. A lot of parts from both mods are equally incredible, but Ven's and Restock overlap eachother. If you somehow will manage to add Ven's Stock textures as additional part variants... this will be the best retexture mod for KSP for sure.

There aren't any plans to combine the variants from two packs. If you read back through this thread there are comments from others who are working on ways to use parts from both mods though

Hey Nertea, really great work on this mod. I love all of the parts you added. It really rounds out the part selection.

Just a question about the Ocsar tanks: It seems like the longer stock tanks trim some of the length compared to a stack of equal fuel load from shorter parts. Is this something that just didn't make sense for the Oscar tanks?

KpeABbM.jpg

1 hour ago, playslikepage71 said:

Hey Nertea, really great work on this mod. I love all of the parts you added. It really rounds out the part selection.

Just a question about the Ocsar tanks: It seems like the longer stock tanks trim some of the length compared to a stack of equal fuel load from shorter parts. Is this something that just didn't make sense for the Oscar tanks?

KpeABbM.jpg

The stock 1.25m tanks use exotic matter compression technologies to allow you to somehow fit more fuel in less space. This doesn't apply to the 2.5m or 3.75m tanks iirc, and really shouldn't be something going forwards. The consistency is important... an argument could be made for mass/volume savings in RL terms, but we have to take a consistent approach.

This is why you must always use air quotes when discussing stock "balance". 

2 hours ago, TIkonOR said:

Completely different design styles, which would go against one of the stated goals that this mod has. 

Re: texture switching, in case anyone wonders:

It can be extremely inefficient, bordering on the nonsensical, to do variants via texture switching, particularly when a part contains many areas you don't want to switch

Consider, for example, the fairing base texture atlas. It contains a lot of texture that we would absolutely not want to switch. The areas I circled in red represent the 3 variants for the 2.5m fairing base - if we wanted to use a texture switch method for variants, we would be cloning all of that grey space to replace the small coloured areas. That's really bad optimization.  Instead, we re-use other areas of the texture that would not be filled and use model variants instead. Models are very inexpensive in memory compared to textures. 

Another option here would be to break the variant areas into a separate texture, and merely texture swap that. That's a lot of overhead for not much gain. 

TC4asRU.jpg

However, sometimes it's a good idea to use a texture switch. Check out the 3.75m fuel tank atlas. There's basically no wasted space - to create a set of different coloured fuel tanks, we need to change almost every area here. So a texture switch might be appropriate. In this case we didn't use one because the orange tanks use different shader settings from the white ones. Though we could use configs to change these settings, it's a lot easier for the artist to tune them in the editor and export them that way.  

dCRjWHD.jpg

Edited by Nertea

1 minute ago, dkavolis said:

New release is here. Fixed long-standing bug with how skinned meshes were voxelized which was exposed by ReStock. Also, debug voxels no longer cripple your game, although there might be some issues with shader compatibility since I can only test it on my one Win10 machine.

Ferram Aerospace Research Continued v0.15.9.7 "Lumley"

Note for Kopernicus users: DO NOT overwrite MFI that comes with Kopernicus since it is locked to that particular version

Update to MM 4.0.2

Fix skinned meshes having scale applied twice in voxelization (#30)
Fix new stock parts (#24, thanks @HSJasperism)
Greatly improved debug visual voxels framerate (#18, #29)
Enlarged debug voxel texture for higher fidelity (#18)

Issues with FAR compatibility should be resolved by the new release.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

The stock 1.25m tanks use exotic matter compression technologies to allow you to somehow fit more fuel in less space.

That's one way to think about it. I would say, that the pressurized part of a fuel tank has rounded caps. When you stack one on top of another, instead of building one continuous pressure vessel,  you waste space in between them.

I do understand the strive for consistency though. And don't actually mind this minor detail.

1 minute ago, MuchozolF said:

That's one way to think about it. I would say, that the pressurized part of a fuel tank has rounded caps. When you stack one on top of another, instead of building one continuous pressure vessel,  you waste space in between them.

I do understand the strive for consistency though. And don't actually mind this minor detail.

I agree to some extent, that is what I alluded to with RL reasoning above, however I'm not sure it makes for intuitive gameplay. Regardless, it has to be implemented across the board to really make sense, not just with one size class. 

Just found out about this mod from Shadowzones video. It has completely reinvigorated the game for me!

It is both awesome and infuriating that a group of modders has just blown away the work done by paid professionals.

Is there a way to donate?

Some content has been trimmed from this thread. Please leave moderating to the moderators, and if you see a post you think is a problem, report it rather than reply to it. That just makes problems worse. 

Also, before you get too cranky with mod makers, remember that they are unpaid volunteers who are giving you toys for free simply because they like the game and want to make it better. 

Man, I picked a good to start playing KSP again. This mod is awesome! Big thanks to Nertea and everyone else involved.

I do have a question about the LV-N engine though. I'm seeing a small glow coming out of the bell even when the engine is turned off. Is this intentional?

I also noticed that when Kerbal Atomics and Restock are installed together, the LV-N no longer has an option to run on LH2. I totally understand if this is just something you haven't gotten around to fixing yet. I'm just surprised since Restock only changes the appearance of the engine, not the functionality of it.

2 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

Just found out about this mod from Shadowzones video. It has completely reinvigorated the game for me!

It is both awesome and infuriating that a group of modders has just blown away the work done by paid professionals.

Is there a way to donate?

If appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that has been put into this project, please support us with a donation! It will be used to buy coffee/beer/assuage significant others and we really appreciate it.

12 hours ago, Dave1806 said:

That mod deleted all of my things that I built so far... Now I have to build my space station again. Thank you.

Make sure you installed the mod correctly. After you download, drag the ReStock folder from inside the Gamedata folder in the zip into your KSP Gamedata

13 hours ago, Dave1806 said:

Same problem as the one I have ! All the space parts have disappeared, leaving only the plane ones ?

Just now, marcb said:

Same problem as the one I have ! All the space parts have disappeared, leaving only the plane ones ?

13 hours ago, Dave1806 said:

Here's a good list of things you can do

1. Check that ReStock was installed correctly. You could have dropped it in wrong, and have GameData/GameData/ReStock.

2. Once you've confirmed that and it is indeed loading correctly... did you know that every so often, Kerbal automatically backs up your persistent.cfg file in your save? It keeps five of these.

GCjCTOa.png

drag one of those out, one from before you installed restock, and load it using alt+f9 or the load option in the pause menu.

2 minutes ago, putnamto said:

aaaah, now i have to chose indicator lights or this mod.

I'm sure Snark is working on a compatibility patch, or someone else might be! Just give it time!

3 minutes ago, putnamto said:

aaaah, now i have to chose indicator lights or this mod.

I’m told Indicator lights will be getting an update soon with a patch. And I believe the only incompatibility right now is some odd LED positioning on the small inline reaction wheel

Edited by cineboxandrew

51 minutes ago, Lupi said:

Here's a good list of things you can do

1. Check that ReStock was installed correctly. You could have dropped it in wrong, and have GameData/GameData/ReStock.

2. Once you've confirmed that and it is indeed loading correctly... did you know that every so often, Kerbal automatically backs up your persistent.cfg file in your save? It keeps five of these.

GCjCTOa.png

drag one of those out, one from before you installed restock, and load it using alt+f9 or the load option in the pause menu.

If you look at my previous message, you can see that restock is correctly installed (ie. checked in log file). I've tried with a new profile in sandbox mode, so I doubt there is an issue with a previous save. Loading saves pops up a warning listing all my crafts that are missing most (all?) of their parts.

Was the 1.6.1 version updated from a previous version or from a totaly new clean installation? You could try to keep your backup somewhere and re-install the game from new, then push your save in; then perhaps, if you still want the mod, try to clone your game to check everything's ok instead of risking your save again...