[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

8 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I'd suggest trying it for yourself and seeing. For me the DeCoupler Shroud textures work just fine and look great next to ReStock

BPT isn't textured as well as ReStock - I'm the one who made BPT and I'll freely admit that @Nertea and the other ReStock artists are light years ahead of me.  It's still fine for smaller utility parts - which is really what it was made for.

As a fellow modder who also freely admits nertea and co are easy ahead of me with texturing, I'll also point out there are limits on how good procedural textures can get. You can't match them to the mesh, because it's use generated, the texture pixel density can't be as consistent, etc etc. Getting it so it's not an eye sore is an achievement. IMHO. Making it fit in with restock is pretty darn good.

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

I'd suggest trying it for yourself and seeing. For me the DeCoupler Shroud textures work just fine and look great next to ReStock

BPT isn't textured as well as ReStock - I'm the one who made BPT and I'll freely admit that @Nertea and the other ReStock artists are light years ahead of me.  It's still fine for smaller utility parts - which is really what it was made for.

51 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

As a fellow modder who also freely admits nertea and co are easy ahead of me with texturing, I'll also point out there are limits on how good procedural textures can get. You can't match them to the mesh, because it's use generated, the texture pixel density can't be as consistent, etc etc. Getting it so it's not an eye sore is an achievement. IMHO. Making it fit in with restock is pretty darn good.

Thanks for the honest feedback, there seems to be a strong argument for using them all. Thanks once again! o7

13 minutes ago, MisfitMarius said:

Thanks for the honest feedback, there seems to be a strong argument for using them all. Thanks once again! o7

The basic problem is fairings. You need to be able to custom fit them, but then you're stretching a texture around a shape generated in game. But not using procedural fairings is really not an option. The best you can do is aim for textures that work well with arbitrary shapes. And that match the other styles so as not to stick out and draw attention. Thus all the procedural texture packs to match various styles.

22 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

The basic problem is fairings. You need to be able to custom fit them, but then you're stretching a texture around a shape generated in game. But not using procedural fairings is really not an option. The best you can do is aim for textures that work well with arbitrary shapes. And that match the other styles so as not to stick out and draw attention. Thus all the procedural texture packs to match various styles.

It's funny you should say that. Procedural Fairings is another mod I'm planning to use in my next play-through, and in the BPT thread there is some good discussion related to the issue you describe.  BPT doesn't include out-of-the-box compatibility with PF, but a forum user has, very helpfully, given an MM config for applying BPT textures to PF's parts. So I'm going to go ahead and check them all out.

Thanks again o7

16 hours ago, MisfitMarius said:

It's funny you should say that. Procedural Fairings is another mod I'm planning to use in my next play-through, and in the BPT thread there is some good discussion related to the issue you describe.  BPT doesn't include out-of-the-box compatibility with PF, but a forum user has, very helpfully, given an MM config for applying BPT textures to PF's parts. So I'm going to go ahead and check them all out.

Thanks again o7

Yea, I decided not to support fairings with BPT. BPT was never intended to support anything but a cylinder. If you want to discuss further we can move this convo to the BPT thread instead of clogging up ReStock

Hey! I noticed a bug with the linear RCS port with the collider being the wrong scale:

Spoiler

Stock vs ReStock
CSnpvmR.png

qY8nQWf.png

It might not seem like much but the linear RCS is one of the most crucial parts in hinge building. As you can see the bigger collider is clipping into the rest of the hinge, breaking it.

How quick of a fix would it be to change this?

On 3/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, Tyko said:

Yea, I decided not to support fairings with BPT. BPT was never intended to support anything but a cylinder. If you want to discuss further we can move this convo to the BPT thread instead of clogging up ReStock

Conclusion

TL;DR: all the mods work great together, including BPT and PF in combination o7

To the Mod Designers,

I've read this whole thread, and have given a few 'likes', but I feel I should write to thank the mod team for this excellent effort.

So: thank you, all!  I've been in a very busy/stressful/difficult period in the last few weeks, and KSP along with this outstanding overhaul has been a frequent target of my (very limited, and much-needed) recreational time.  Your efforts and commitment to our game are very appreciated.  Just...  thanks!  :)

And a couple notes that I've not seen on this thread (knowing they may be on the development sites, which I don't follow):

- The single-Boar engine is wonderful; I haven't even fully explored how to work that into my 'standard builds', but I look forward to it.  Unfortunately it costs 12000 funds, which is clearly too much.  I easily fixed that myself, but I look forward to seeing your final design choice on its cost.

- The OP lists Restock as a bundled part of RestockPlus; as of now it is not (at least from SpaceDock).  It was, when I first dl'd it a week or so ago, but no longer.  I actually prefer this, and like 'Plus' as a plugin/addon, but since modders are so keen to scold posters for "not reading the OP" (and rightly so), I thought I'd point this out.  ;)

I'd also like to talk about how much I love your design/aesthetic choices and how much they've added to my enjoyment of the game, yet how I prefer the new SQUAD 1.25 LFO tanks to Restock's, and how I've modded your mod to suit that preference...  but I feel I run on too long.

So, Restock Team: thank you all again, and again.

3 hours ago, Gapone said:

A question: are the 1.25m parts Porkjet's or you redid them? They are not quite consistent and cause some minor zfighting.

Can you list the parts with Z-fighting and take some pictures?

7 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Can you list the parts with Z-fighting and take some pictures?

Place a terrier on a decoupler

Valiant seems little off center at least with boattail

p.s.

On 4/14/2018 at 3:39 AM, rspeed said:

I noticed is that @Porkjet optimized the boattail engines a bit by removing their inside guts. But that's not really necessary any if they're sharing the same model, so I went ahead and split things up a bit (which actually reduces the polygon count). Now you can peek up into the boattails!

i1ruPqw.jpg

will be more consistent.

The black and white color variant on the advanced cones was meant to be used on mk2!

Edited by Gapone

How do I apply the patch for RealPlume? I didn't see a download link, so I assume I need to manually change the code somewhere.

Actually, all I really need is the sounds from RealPlume or one of the better sound mods, but I can't seem to figure out how sound files are treated in the config.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:25 AM, boccelounge said:

Unfortunately it costs 12000 funds, which is clearly too much.  I easily fixed that myself, but I look forward to seeing your final design choice on its cost.

Cost balance is out of scope for Restock.  So, I doubt you'll see a change here.  Squad cost balance is certainly all over the place.  It's unfortunate.

I've ranted on this before, and this is probably not the place to do it again.

36 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Cost balance is out of scope for Restock.  So, I doubt you'll see a change here.  Squad cost balance is certainly all over the place.  It's unfortunate.

I've ranted on this before, and this is probably not the place to do it again.

Yeah but the single Boar engine is a ReStock Plus part so it is entirely within scope to balance this part.

It seems the 12,000 funds may be a bit pricey, yes, when comparing it to the dry cost of the Twin Boar of around 14,000 funds. It would probably make sense to re-cost it down to around 7,000 funds. Please raise an issue on the GitHub tracker, @boccelounge, so that this issue does not get forgotten. :D 

KSP v1.6.1, Restock & Restock+ v0.1.3, RealChute v1.4.7.3

The RealChute issue that I had about a month ago has unexpectedly reappeared (chutes not slowing the craft down, not deploying, RC Flight Scene UI screwed up).  I've confirmed that I have the draft patch, with Starwasters' changes incorporated, still in the GameData directory.  Did anything change in last Restock release that might have affected that patch or RC performance?

New Dunian mission, using a bigger Spaceship "Icare 4" Spam incomming sorry...

1554134692-220200-20190401130555-1.png

The lander was launch right after the spaceship departure and docked after all the manoeuvers were done.

1554134695-220200-20190401135747-1.png

With a close approach of 11km above the surface, crew needs to dedocked the lander and wait for the final descent while the spaceship will automaticaly put itself in orbit.

1554134710-220200-20190401143224-1.png

1554134716-220200-20190401143521-1.png

Rodeo re-entry, the inflatable heatshield was welcome.

1554134719-220200-20190401144424-1.png

Aaand landed ! Ready for a 11 days mission on Duna !

1554134726-220200-20190401145416-1.png

The end of the mission in spoiler zone :

Spoiler

1554134732-220200-20190401152516-1.png

1554134734-220200-20190401152533-1.png

After 11 days the lander lift off ! And meets Icare 4.

1554134744-220200-20190401153433-1.png

1554134751-220200-20190401153616-1.png

The lander is ejected before return manoeuver begins

1554134753-220200-20190401153936-1.png

1554135392-220200-20190401154324-1.png

The first stage is finally jettisoned !

1554135393-220200-20190401155921-1.png

250 days later, the final approach, crew leave the spaceship and return home.

1554135395-220200-20190401161120-1.png

On 3/30/2019 at 11:09 PM, Glloyd said:

Wow, it looks so much better than stock. Does anyone know what the RAM usage of Restock (not plus) is compared to stock?

Not a ton more. The disk spacefootprint of the parts is about 130% of the originals - however the rest of KSP uses most of the memory. I back of the envelope observe about a 5% increase overall, but that's pretty much within uncertainty so...

On 3/31/2019 at 3:13 AM, Codapop said:

How do I apply the patch for RealPlume? I didn't see a download link, so I assume I need to manually change the code somewhere.

Actually, all I really need is the sounds from RealPlume or one of the better sound mods, but I can't seem to figure out how sound files are treated in the config.

You need the changes to RealPlume from the pull request: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs/pull/81/files

12 hours ago, Brigadier said:

KSP v1.6.1, Restock & Restock+ v0.1.3, RealChute v1.4.7.3

The RealChute issue that I had about a month ago has unexpectedly reappeared (chutes not slowing the craft down, not deploying, RC Flight Scene UI screwed up).  I've confirmed that I have the draft patch, with Starwasters' changes incorporated, still in the GameData directory.  Did anything change in last Restock release that might have affected that patch or RC performance?

That patch is included in the base mod, you shouldn't have another copy, for one. 

Did you try deleting and rebuild your part database?

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

That patch is included in the base mod, you shouldn't have another copy, for one. 

Did you try deleting and rebuild your part database?

Draft patch removed and the ModuleManger.* files deleted (except for .dll).  Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the RC problem with a craft already in orbit.  I will test with a new craft within the same save and get back to you.

Edit 1 - first thing I noticed is that I didn't get the RC Actions UI in the VAB when I selected the existing chute.  Once I replaced the chute with the same part, the UI was displayed and functioned correctly.  I suspect that this will mean a rescue of the rescue craft that's in orbit since I know of no way to make this change in the .sfs file on the fly (so to speak).

Edited by Brigadier

The part database file is PartDatabase.cfg in the game root directory, not the ModuleManager cache. This file stores the game's drag cubes. Since the drag cubes needed to be set to autogenerated for the fix (and then regenerated on game reload), this is the file that should be deleted.