[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

8 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

What worked for me was just deleting the PartDatabase.cfg file.

EDIT: Disregard - no, it didn't.

For what it's worth, deleting PartDatabase.cfg can fix other issues and never hurts :wink:

Edited by Streetwind

Does anyone have a status of this mod's compatability with SXT Continued? 

Is there anyone who would want to make an SXT Restocked mod to adapt SXT Continued to use these incredible textures instead where aplicable?!  Maybe apply the same treatment to RLA Recontinued as well, despite it not normally using stock derived textures? 

13 hours ago, Streetwind said:

For what it's worth, deleting PartDatabase.cfg can fix other issues and never hurts :wink:

Yep, PartDatabase.cfg is just a cache file.  If it gets poisoned with crud in a manner that breaks stuff, but can't be detected by the "Bad cache file" you can just delete it.

50 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

Does anyone have a status of this mod's compatability with SXT Continued? 

Is there anyone who would want to make an SXT Restocked mod to adapt SXT Continued to use these incredible textures instead where aplicable?!  Maybe apply the same treatment to RLA Recontinued as well, despite it not normally using stock derived textures? 

Yep, PartDatabase.cfg is just a cache file.  If it gets poisoned with crud in a manner that breaks stuff, but can't be detected by the "Bad cache file" you can just delete it.

That would be quite an undertaking, as the texture layouts are completely different and may not be compatible in most cases. 

I'm currently doing an unmaned before manned career play-through and the mod seems to have a compatibility issue with SETIprobeParts. I've deleted all the parts in the incompatible mod (aside from the probe stacks) but they continue to not show up. I'm figuring this might be an issue with models?

3 hours ago, symphons said:

I'm currently doing an unmaned before manned career play-through and the mod seems to have a compatibility issue with SETIprobeParts. I've deleted all the parts in the incompatible mod (aside from the probe stacks) but they continue to not show up. I'm figuring this might be an issue with models?

The most likely issue is that that mod wants to use stock KSP assets - for example, borrowing the model of a stock part to make a new part with it. ReStock unloads stock assets to save memory, therefore mods that use stock assets no longer work unless they ship a compatibility patch.

Look into the ReStock readme file for instructions on how to set up a whitelist. This will let you prevent ReStock from unloading certain stock assets that you specify.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:40 AM, symphons said:

Turns out I did know how to pull the files. Unfortunately, the problem is still persisting after replacing the contents of RealPlume-stock. Could the problem be that realplume isn't configured properly for the mod?

I made the config files from that pull request and it's working for me (I haven't tested all engines), if you want to try my files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d2YpINKbu-s6WhQjl0JoWZO9467dABnF

but it's better to install RealPlume from 0 and them overwrite the contents of the "RealPlume-Stock" folder.

I've been playing with this for a while now, and loving it. I have however found a few things that might need fixing/changing. It seems the surface attach node is not moved for the compact variant of the Rhino, so it is floating a fair ways away from the surface when surface attaching the compact variant.

Also, I think the balancing on the valiant and pug could do with some improvement, as I just can not find a niche where they make more sense than an other engine configuration. I'll start off with the Valiant. With a TWR of only 13.6 (20+ is normal) and ISP of 240-270s it is exclusively worse than any other lifter engine at pretty much anything. Especially considering Restock+. This is especially true since 2 of the Torch is very similar in thrust, but, with their increased performance they are almost always cheaper over all, despite the engines them selves being more expensive funds wise.  Weight of ~0.6 Tonnes and ISP of 260-285s would make it more competitive for small launch vehicles I think, while still not making it too good for its very reasonable price.

An other one is the Pug, which is obviously intended as a low power vacuum engine, from the 150s sealevel ISP, yet it only has 320s vacuum ISP, which is the same as many launcher engines, like the spark. I find that either the spark or the terrier is pretty much always the better choice. The Spark has the same vac. ISP, and almost same thrust, but weighs half as much, gimbals, has good sl. ISP. and cost marginally less. I think increasing vac. ISP to 335-345ish would give this engine a niche.

25 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

Also, I think the balancing on the valiant and pug could do with some improvement, as I just can not find a niche where they make more sense than an other engine configuration. I'll start off with the Valiant. With a TWR of only 13.6 (20+ is normal) and ISP of 240-270s it is exclusively worse than any other lifter engine at pretty much anything. Especially considering Restock+. This is especially true since 2 of the Torch is very similar in thrust, but, with their increased performance they are almost always cheaper over all, despite the engines them selves being more expensive funds wise.  Weight of ~0.6 Tonnes and ISP of 260-285s would make it more competitive for small launch vehicles I think, while still not making it too good for its very reasonable price.

An other one is the Pug, which is obviously intended as a low power vacuum engine, from the 150s sealevel ISP, yet it only has 320s vacuum ISP, which is the same as many launcher engines, like the spark. I find that either the spark or the terrier is pretty much always the better choice. The Spark has the same vac. ISP, and almost same thrust, but weighs half as much, gimbals, has good sl. ISP. and cost marginally less. I think increasing vac. ISP to 335-345ish would give this engine a niche. 

I think you may be in the wrong place - this mod doesn't add any engines or change the balance of any parts.  The most likely mod that has a Pug and Valiant engine that you're referring to is Missing History:

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I think you may be in the wrong place - this mod doesn't add any engines or change the balance of any parts.  The most likely mod that has a Pug and Valiant engine that you're referring to is Missing History:

The pug and valiant, though not part of Restock, is part of Restock+. From the OP of this thread:

On 3/6/2019 at 9:20 AM, Nertea said:
KSP 1.6.1   

Restock+ [0.1.3] 
Last Updated March 15th, 2019

We believe that there are a number of places where KSP is missing key parts - for example, the 3.75m and 0.625m size classes are a little sparse. Restock+ aims to create parts that fill these niche, and is a carefully curated, fully optional project (that requires Restock to be installed of course).

2 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I believe that the Valiant and Pug stats come straight from the PartOverhauls mod. These stats reflect engines that are really only good in the early game when you are pushing relatively light payloads and haven't unlocked anything better.

In particular the Restock+ stats are the same as the PartOverhauls starting stats. The PartOverhauls version also upgrades the engine stats (thrust/Isp) as you unlock new technologies. This feature was left out of the Restock+ version of the engines (which was a deliberate design choice.) If you're interested in using that feature with the Restock+ engines, you can check out PartOverhaulBalanceIntegration, linked in my signature. 

Fair warning - the integration configs also affect the Reliant and Swivel, and if anything the whole 1.25m engine lineup becomes a little bit too good by the time they are fully upgraded.

Edited by PocketBrotector

On 4/10/2019 at 7:06 AM, neistridlar said:

It seems the surface attach node is not moved for the compact variant of the Rhino

This is a deficiency of the stock part switcher, it cannot move attach nodes. https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/issues/582 has been created to track the other balance issues. Have your thoughts at all changed with the modifications to the engines in 1.7?

It can't move them, but can't it toggle them? There's this thing that handles autoshrouds on MH's engine mounts. You can set them several lengths, and the node moves to match. I don't have MH installed right now, but it is a thing, and I don't believe this is a DLC-restricted feature (just the only stock parts that use it happen to be in MH).

Edited by Guest

The stock switcher can move stack nodes but can’t toggle them. It can’t do anything with surface attach nodes. You can get around this by having two copies of the model you toggle between with the attach node stationary, but that poses issues if you want things like thrust transforms

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Have your thoughts at all changed with the modifications to the engines in 1.7?

For the valiant, the changes should not make a difference. I'll have to look at the pug again.

As for the attach node, that is an addition by restock right? Maybe consider putting the attach node at the right spot for the compact model, like squad did with the skiff from MH. That seems more useful to me. At least.

For those interested, it is very easy to add a metal variant of parts. Here is a quick example that adds a variant to the 3 micro cubic octag parts for metal.

Don't forget that reflections need to be turned on to at least low for metal to show up in-game (under graphics).

@PART[strutCube,strutOcto,structuralMiniNode]:AFTER[ReStock] {
	MODULE {
		name = ModulePartVariants

VARIANT {
			name = Metal
			TEXTURE {
				shader = KSP/Bumped Specular (Mapped)
				_SpecMap = ReStock/Assets/Structural/restock-truss-micro-1
				_Shininess = 0.75
			}
		}
	}
}

rockomax tanks, oscar tanks, station hub, stack mount:

HloYnTt.jpg

Spoiler

@PART[Rockomax8BW,Rockomax16_BW,Rockomax32_BW,Rockomax64_BW]:AFTER[ReStock] {
	@MODULE[ModulePartVariants] {
		@VARIANT[Metallic] {
			TEXTURE {
				materialName = restock-fuel-tank-25-1-grey
				_SpecMap = ReStock/Assets/FuelTank/restock-fuel-tank-25-1
				_Shininess = 0.7
			}
		}
	}
}
@PART[stackPoint1]:AFTER[ReStock] {
	MODULE {

VARIANT {
			name = Metal
			TEXTURE {
				_SpecMap = ReStock/Assets/Structural/restock-node-attach-1
				_Shininess = 0.7
			}
		}
	}
}
@PART[stationHub]:AFTER[ReStock] {
	MODULE {

VARIANT {
			name = Metal
			TEXTURE {
				materialName = restock-structural-nodes
				_SpecMap = ReStock/Assets/Structural/restock-node-attach-1
				_Shininess = 0.7
			}
			TEXTURE {
				materialName = restock-crewed-hatch-1-grey
				_SpecMap = ReStock/Assets/Command/restock-crewed-hatch-1-grey
				_Shininess = 0.7
			}
		}
	}
}
@PART[miniFuelTank]:AFTER[ReStock] {
		@VARIANT[Metal] {
			@TEXTURE {
				_SpecMap = ReStock/Assets/FuelTank/restock-fueltank-0625-1
				_Shininess = 0.7
			}
		}
	}
}
@PART[restock-fuel-tank-0625-1,restock-fuel-tank-0625-2,restock-fuel-tank-0625-3]:AFTER[ReStockPlus] {
		@VARIANT[Metal] {
			@TEXTURE {
				_SpecMap = ReStock/Assets/FuelTank/restock-fueltank-0625-1
				_Shininess = 0.7
			}
		}
	}
}

Edited by Electrocutor

I've been away from KSP for a little while & never got around to trying Restock when it was released.  So last night I created a fresh install just to try out Restock & Restock Plus.   I just want to say "Wow!!!!" :cool:    It looks so much better than stock.  Now I'm going to have to see how Restock behaves with the other mods I like, because I definitely don't want to remove Restock

I've been playing for years and I just discovered this mod.... I don't have enough thumbs to show gratitude.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:11 AM, The Kerbal King said:

Anyway you might revamp the 1.875m heat shield so it looks like the new ones?

I was asking myself the same question. Or any hint on how the previous ones were modified ? (I never moded but I understand basic config files)

EDIT : Also, I'd like to use metallic or golden textude on some bigger tanks (landers and probes would look lit like that !).

Edited by Challyss