[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

On 5/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, Nertea said:

Restock  0.1.4

•  Warn user if old 1.25m tank directories are detected

Please help me out here.  I think I'm getting this message, but I don't know what or how this affects my install.

Do I remove them?  If I remove then and decide to stop using Restock am I then screwed?

49 minutes ago, pquade said:

Please help me out here.  I think I'm getting this message, but I don't know what or how this affects my install.

Do I remove them?  If I remove then and decide to stop using Restock am I then screwed?

This detects files that are left over from a version of KSP before they redid the 1.25m fuel tanks (1.4 I think). If you upgraded from that version particularly via steam, it leaves some junk files around. These files can cause trouble replacing the models so they should be cleared up.

They have no effect on the base game.

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

This detects files that are left over from a version of KSP before they redid the 1.25m fuel tanks (1.4 I think). If you upgraded from that version particularly via steam, it leaves some junk files around. These files can cause trouble replacing the models so they should be cleared up.

They have no effect on the base game.

Thanks.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, and I don't know if you're even interested, but have you guys considered approaching Squad and gifting this work to them to be made the new stock? Or is it pretty obvious their lack of art direction would continue?

On 5/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, AmpCat said:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, and I don't know if you're even interested, but have you guys considered approaching Squad and gifting this work to them to be made the new stock? Or is it pretty obvious their lack of art direction would continue?

If that were to ever happen, I'd be expecting serious compensation. This project has been in the making for at least a year with several very skilled people working on it. It would be almost insulting to the community's most talented artists to frame their project as a free crutch for a game that Squad\TakeTwo has more than enough money to pay for. 

I'd say Squad have made their decisions regarding the ongoing art direction, so yeah. I don't think incorporating Restock would really help push the game into a more cohesive style. Not to say there isn't one - the recent revamps are amazing - but as the Restock thread states, it is a different approach to what most modders (and ex-employees) want the game to look like.

18 hours ago, Daishi said:

If that were to ever happen, I'd be expecting serious compensation. This project has been in the making for at least a year with several very skilled people working on it. It would be almost insulting to the community's most talented artists to frame their project as a free crutch for a game that Squad\TakeTwo has more than enough money to pay for. 

I'd say Squad have made their decisions regarding the ongoing art direction, so yeah. I don't think incorporating Restock would really help push the game into a more cohesive style. Not to say there isn't one - the recent revamps are amazing - but as the Restock thread states, it is a different approach to what most modders (and ex-employees) want the game to look like.

Oh, I understand how much effort has gone into this, trust me. Maybe 'gift' was a poor choice of words. But yeah, the quality of the new revamps has been great, the direction, not so much. Ahwell. There's some mods that are so good they should be standard. But then again, if that were true, then the modders should get paid for their work, too. :)

On 5/21/2019 at 10:04 PM, AmpCat said:

Squad could have paid Ven or continued paying Porkjet, but they choose not to.  I think they've made their choice.  ...and as said above, Squad taking such a thing for free would not be the best look.

12 hours ago, AmpCat said:

There's some mods that are so good they should be standard.

Yep.  It's sad, but I actually have a list of mods I give to people when introducing them to the game.  This is now one of them.

Hi, 

I hope this ain't a dumb question but I don't know much about inner workings of KSP. Am I right that models have drag cubes that the game uses to calculate drag or is it FAR only? Anyway, I seem to have a problem with Restock Mk1 pod. Without an additional heat shield it seems to have very little drag, e.g. when returning from 80k Kerbin orbit it hits the ground at 600+ m/s, about 3x the usual terminal velocity. I play KSP 1.7 and use FAR. Is it possible that drag problems are caused by ReStock?

2 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Hi, 

I hope this ain't a dumb question but I don't know much about inner workings of KSP. Am I right that models have drag cubes that the game uses to calculate drag or is it FAR only? Anyway, I seem to have a problem with Restock Mk1 pod. Without an additional heat shield it seems to have very little drag, e.g. when returning from 80k Kerbin orbit it hits the ground at 600+ m/s, about 3x the usual terminal velocity. I play KSP 1.7 and use FAR. Is it possible that drag problems are caused by ReStock?

What is the orbital velocity? I would think 600m/s sounds about right for a more-or-less vertical drop: atmosphere doesn’t slow you down that much. Scratch that, I usually (w/ stock) decel to ~=200m/s w/o chutes IIRC. The parachute does most of the work below a certain speed (though I don’t remember for sure being AFKSP at the moment. 

Edited by TonedMite133805
Being wrong originally.

4 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Hi, 

If you use FAR, there is no drag cube stuff involved - FAR uses voxelization. You should check in the voxelization overlay in FAR if the mesh is generating a reasonable approximation and get back to us and the FAR people. 

The only references to Squad/ that I found inside the RemoteTech folder were:

Squad/Parts/Utility/commsDish16/model
Squad/Parts/Command/probeStackSphere/model

so I guess this would come handy then?

GameData\RemoteTech\RemoteTech.restockwhitelist

//  ==================================================
//  ReStock whitelist for RemoteTech.
//  ==================================================

Squad/Parts/Utility/commsDish16/
Squad/Parts/Command/probeStackSphere/

You know.. before ReStock I did a lot to try and get all the Porkjet stuff in game myself. 

Now that I have ReStock I can’t help but notice how the porkjet parts feel out of place. Especially the boattail variants feel inferior to the quality and style of every other ReStock part due to their lack of shroud and matching colors.

I realize PJ’s parts overhaul is popular, and they are good. But ReStock in general is just.. better!

Edited by Jognt

Serious issue when using this on 1.7.1, possibly on 1.7.0 as well. When playing career mode, some part testing contracts will not complete. I've found that the MK2-R parachute and T-12 decopler are broken in this regard. Removing the mod allowed all these contracts to complete.

Thank you so much for this! This mod is so beautiful, and I love the added functionality to stock engines as well as they new engines. I actually created an account on the forums simply to thank you guys for the hard work and exceptional mod!

3 hours ago, Alex0609 said:

Serious issue when using this on 1.7.1, possibly on 1.7.0 as well. When playing career mode, some part testing contracts will not complete. I've found that the MK2-R parachute and T-12 decopler are broken in this regard. Removing the mod allowed all these contracts to complete.

We haven't heard anything about anything like this before in either version. We will need the usual suite of supporting data. 

9 hours ago, Jognt said:

You know.. before ReStock I did a lot to try and get all the Porkjet stuff in game myself. 

Now that I have ReStock I can’t help but notice how the porkjet parts feel out of place. Especially the boattail variants feel inferior to the quality and style of every other ReStock part due to their lack of shroud and matching colors.

I realize PJ’s parts overhaul is popular, and they are good. But ReStock in general is just.. better!

I would like to redo the boattails at some point but thanks.

-edit, hang on, they should all have shrouds. I added those in myself. 

9 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Well, I keep creating tiny whitelist files for this and that mod.

I guess I better place a Dropbox link with all of them, updates go in as I find them:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z25bjji26f9bddz/AAACvRfmk1HawekmQBPYNqXAa?dl=1

A better solution is to submit a friendly, well formatted pull request to the appropriate mod. 

20 hours ago, subyng said:

Has anyone had any success merging this mod with Ven? I mainly just to use the new parts (like all the strut pieces) from ven but keep everything from Restock. 

Some people have mentioned doing this but I haven't seen any real solution posted anywhere. 

11 minutes ago, Nertea said:

-edit, hang on, they should all have shrouds. I added those in myself.

Hang on.. So you're telling me that the boattail should have a shroud if it's sandwiched in a stack?

*scurries off to check in a clean install*

*for science of course. You monster*

2 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Hang on.. So you're telling me that the boattail should have a shroud if it's sandwiched in a stack?

*scurries off to check in a clean install*

*for science of course. You monster*

None of the restock engines have shrouds in boattails (maybe there are one or two exceptions through), this was a specific decision that was made in design.

9 minutes ago, Nertea said:

None of the restock engines have shrouds in boattails (maybe there are one or two exceptions through), this was a specific decision that was made in design.

Ah ok. Your previous reply made me think they were supposed to have them. I guess you meant all non-boattail engines should have shrouds then? If so, yup, haven't seen one without!

Reading back I realize that my comment sounds like I'm not satisfied with ReStock. I am, and I thank you for all your effort. :)

=====================================

Edit: Okay so there is this one teensy thing I would like checked :D : Every time I start KSP I get two minor warnings about ReStock (have them enabled for bug hunting atm)

[Restock] No files found matching url Squad/Parts/Engine/vernorEngine/
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
[Restock] No files found matching url Squad/Parts/Utility/linearRCS/
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Are you guys aware of it or want me to throw a log your way?

Edited by Jognt

5 hours ago, Jognt said:

Ah ok. Your previous reply made me think they were supposed to have them. I guess you meant all non-boattail engines should have shrouds then? If so, yup, haven't seen one without!

Reading back I realize that my comment sounds like I'm not satisfied with ReStock. I am, and I thank you for all your effort. :)

=====================================

Edit: Okay so there is this one teensy thing I would like checked :D : Every time I start KSP I get two minor warnings about ReStock (have them enabled for bug hunting atm)

[Restock] No files found matching url Squad/Parts/Engine/vernorEngine/
[Restock] No files found matching url Squad/Parts/Utility/linearRCS/

Are you guys aware of it or want me to throw a log your way?

A quick peek in the GameData folder shows why. Looks like Squad "recently" changed the position of the Vernor and Linear RCS parts in the file structure. The CFG files for both are now located at "Squad/Parts/Utility/linearVernorRCS/" and the textures and models are at "Squad/Parts/Utility/linearVernorRCS/Assets/".

I'm assuming that this is part of the blacklisting system, and the paths for the parts just need to be updated, wherever they are defined. If that's the case, then the only problem this should really cause is the unused models and textures still being loaded.

I'm feeling.. brave, so I'll see about putting together a pull request to fix this. Looks to be trivially simple, but I've never actually done this before and I wouldn't want to underestimate my capacity to mess things up. :confused:

Update: It appears I did everything with the pull request right, except for the tiny little issue of not actually testing anything before putting it up. I'll go check that this doesn't actually break anything ingame, but I think it's ok...

Update II: Ok, tested, not throwing any warnings, looks like I knew what the heck I was doing. The pull request should be all good then. :D

Edited by TBenz