[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

5 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

restock is extremely buggy right now.

good to know that parachutes are being looked at (fyi they are completely nonfunctional, even if I remove realchutelite from FAR the chutes deploy but have no drag and do nothing) but launch clamps are awful atm and cause kraken attacks. it seems as though stuff spawns below the launchpad, even using girders as an alternative is proving difficult

Works perfectly for me, your installation method must just be the extremely buggy thing right now.

10 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

good to know that parachutes are being looked at (fyi they are completely nonfunctional, even if I remove realchutelite from FAR the chutes deploy but have no drag and do nothing) but launch clamps are awful atm and cause kraken attacks. it seems as though stuff spawns below the launchpad, even using girders as an alternative is proving difficult

I am not seeing these problems at all.  Nothing with chutes, no problems with clamps, and I've yet to see Kraken attacks after several hours of play.  No problems spawning.  I'm using a moderated modded (hehe) install.

10 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

I think you have any conflicts or corrupt install. This mod is working very well without any glitches.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:06 PM, Nertea said:

For those interested this seems to be linked to installing FAR without RealChute. FAR provides a RealChuteLite patch in this case which we were unaware of and don't handle correctly. This is in verification but I think the solution is simple and will be in the next release.

Does ReStock now revamp RealChutes too?

At first I was just stoked that now I can actually play 1.8 (Restock is a necessity for me), but holy crap, the new little additions are awesome! I love the mini-Klaw (i actually did my first patch to get one like that, now i dont need it), i love the experiment return capsule (I've tested it a couple times, dumping it uncontrolled with just a chute & shield works and looks great everytime), and all the other little things like tiny probe fuel tanks, monoprop fuel cell, etc. really do it

I am working through a bug with realplume, where I'm getting double plumes, or plumes on inactive engines. That might be because I have realplume & restock installed. I'm gonna remove realplume to try that first, just wanted to see if anyone else has seen that too

Edit: I also love that the radial chutes come pre-offset into the capsule. I always did that before to make it look nicer, but now its automatic!

Edited by t6jesse

1 hour ago, t6jesse said:

I am working through a bug with realplume, where I'm getting double plumes, or plumes on inactive engines. That might be because I have realplume & restock installed. I'm gonna remove realplume to try that first, just wanted to see if anyone else has seen that too

There were some issues previously but it should be resolved with RealPlume-stock v3.0.1

I've noticed once I installed the latest (1.8.x compatible) version of restock, the science experiment unit vanishes. The part is still around, since I have the indicator lights mod, and the indicators are still floating there, but the geometry of the part is gone and I can't right click on it or anything of that sort. I've got several other mods installed, so I've not tried it on a clean install yet, but restock+ didn't change this behavior (having it installed or not), and I uninstalled several other suspects, such as tweakscale and science relay, again, with no change. If I remove Restock, the geometry returns.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has observed this while I do some more experimenting to see if I can narrow it down to the simplest case.

Edit: Looks like the culprit is IndicatorLights Community Extensions in particular that's somehow not playing nice with the latest Restock, causing the experiment container to vanish. It's not been updated for a bit, so something that changed with the latest Restock patch now doesn't work with something in the IndicatorLights patch.

Edited by AmpCat

19 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

ReStock just changes models. It doesn’t do kraken stuff. Do you have KJR Next installed by any chance? Because I remember reading about that mod krakening launch clamps. 

Edited by Jognt

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

ReStock just changes models. It doesn’t do kraken stuff. Do you have KJR Next installed by any chance? Because I remember reading about that mod krakening launch clamps. 

Weirdly enough same thing had been happening to me on my 1.8.1 save (my potato laptop won't run JNSQ so it's a stock scale game for when I can't play on my desktop ;.;). I assumed it was because I had KJR running on it and I took it out of the mod list, hasn't happened again since so possibly that is indeed the culprit?

7 minutes ago, Pleb said:

Weirdly enough same thing had been happening to me on my 1.8.1 save (my potato laptop won't run JNSQ so it's a stock scale game for when I can't play on my desktop ;.;). I assumed it was because I had KJR running on it and I took it out of the mod list, hasn't happened again since so possibly that is indeed the culprit?

Does it happen with KJR but no Restock?

23 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

Does it happen with KJR but no Restock?

I was running KJR 3.5.0 (https://github.com/KSP-RO/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-Continued/releases/tag/v3.5.0) on 1.8.1 before I had I Restock and I couldn't remember it happening before, so possibly a bad reaction of the two? I haven't tested it enough since removing it to see if that's definitely the issue though.

19 minutes ago, Pleb said:

I was running KJR 3.5.0 (https://github.com/KSP-RO/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-Continued/releases/tag/v3.5.0) on 1.8.1 before I had I Restock and I couldn't remember it happening before, so possibly a bad reaction of the two? I haven't tested it enough since removing it to see if that's definitely the issue though.

Continued and Next are two different KJR versions. Next is the one that is actively developed further, trying to improve things. Continued is the “As is, don’t fix what ain’t broken” version. 

Both have pros and cons, the con of Next being: new bugs. Someone reported the launch clamp thing this week in the Next thread, which is why I suspect it here. 

Edited by Jognt
Added link to Next thread

10 hours ago, Jognt said:

Continued and Next are two different KJR versions. Next is the one that is actively developed further, trying to improve things. Continued is the “As is, don’t fix what ain’t broken” version. 

Both have pros and cons, the con of Next being: new bugs. Someone reported the launch clamp thing this week in the Next thread, which is why I suspect it here. 

Yeah I was only using it so I don't forget to do auto struts! :D It's not essential and I think that was what was causing my rockets to spawn on the launchpad already broken, but it was odd that it only started doing it once I put Re Stock (and Re Stock Plus) into my game and started anew. 

On a side note, 1.8.X seems to have dramatically improved KSP's performance and stability as I'm now able to play games on my old potato laptop, have mods in and it doesn't take (too) long to load on it's old HDD and doesn't look like a slideshow either lol! Plus side being I can now play a game with the full Nertea suite of mods! :cool: I'm tempted to put JNSQ on there (as stock scale just isn't fun anymore after playing that) but it may explode... :o

54 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Probably one of the new stock boosters from 1.8.1.

I preferred the earlier tiny SRBs than the stock ones that were added in 1.8.X (as they come in too late and are too low powered to be effective for anything) so I've undepreciated them in my game! ;)

Edited by Pleb
Typo

I have a question about the RK107 Ursa engine.

It shows up in the R&D facility but not in the VAB/SPH. Is it a part for non MH owners to "fill a gap" (I have MH and BG installed)? If so, is there a way to hide it from R&D so my silly brain doesn't get confused ? 

There is a bad interaction between Restock & Indicator Lights Community Expansion. When both are installed, the science storage unit appears invisible except for the light strips. When the latter is uninstalled, the storage unit appears normally. Don't know if this is Restock or ILCE at fault.

3 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

There is a bad interaction between Restock & Indicator Lights Community Expansion. When both are installed, the science storage unit appears invisible except for the light strips. When the latter is uninstalled, the storage unit appears normally. Don't know if this is Restock or ILCE at fault.

It may depend on how ReStock is changing out the storage unit appearance -- and how IL(ce) is applying the lights. If IL is somehow applying the lights to the "old" box, and it's being blacklisted by ReStock in the mean-time, could that result in the strips themselves being rendered alone?

I noticed that as well on the menu screen, but couldn't figure out what part was supposed to be appearing on the Kerbal's back (I'm using KAS(or KIS) which includes new graphics on the start menu). This answers *that* question :)

[edit]

ping for @Bombaatu

Yup -- ILCE has a typo when defining the storage unit; it's missing a "-1" at the end of the name. It should look like here in IndicatorLights_Restock.cfg (at line #857)

//Science Box
@PART[ScienceBox]:AFTER[ReStock]:NEEDS[IndicatorLights]
{
	-MODEL,* {}
	MODEL
	{
		model = ReStock/Assets/Science/restock-sciencebox-radial-1
	}
Edited by Beetlecat

3 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

It may depend on how ReStock is changing out the storage unit appearance -- and how IL(ce) is applying the lights. If IL is somehow applying the lights to the "old" box, and it's being blacklisted by ReStock in the mean-time, could that result in the strips themselves being rendered alone?

I noticed that as well on the menu screen, but couldn't figure out what part was supposed to be appearing on the Kerbal's back (I'm using KAS(or KIS) which includes new graphics on the start menu). This answers *that* question :)

[edit]

ping for @Bombaatu

Yup -- ILCE has a typo when defining the storage unit; it's missing a "-1" at the end of the name. It should look like here in IndicatorLights_Restock.cfg (at line #857)

//Science Box
@PART[ScienceBox]:AFTER[ReStock]:NEEDS[IndicatorLights]
{
	-MODEL,* {}
	MODEL
	{
		model = ReStock/Assets/Science/restock-sciencebox-radial-1
	}

Yup - this was it. Cross-posted in the ILCE forum page

I tried adding Restock last night via CKAN and starting a new save.

The aero drag on the newbie rockets was wildly off. (20m/s top speed vs 286m/s top speed for the same rocket in configuration without Restock).

(Mark I capsule, parachute, decoupler,  a few tanks and swivel)

I have not had time to do any debugging so at this point I am just reporting what I see, not making a support
request.  Hopefully I have some play time this weekend and I can do enough debugging to actually report something
with some actual investigation.  (I want to check the computed drag boxes in different mod configs...) Has anyone else seen this issue?

I have dozens of other mods so I have no idea what the interaction is at this point.

Notes after further research:  After comparing the before and after PartDatabase.cfg files  before/after applying Restock the
only thing that jumps out is that the deployed parachute volumes are included in the PartDatabase.cfg for restock.
So I am guessing that some combination of (Real Chute / SafeChute / something else??) is causing Restock to use the deployed drag cubes
for the parachutes on my rockets...  I don't know this for sure, but those are the only parts I see which have big enough drag cubes
to explain the massive drag I am seeing.

Edited by Covert
Further Research